DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-14-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Phil Rudd

Good thing I joined this forum. How can you have a list of drummers with no Phil Rudd.

The guy defines the word 'solid'.

he always reminds me that you can keep it simple and interesting. I think the album Highway to Hell has some of the most tasteful drumming.

Anyone else? Eh?

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-17-2005 at 05:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Phil Rudd

phil rudd.

one of the finest drum teachers alive. i mean it.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-14-2005, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

I agree...in the dictionary for the word "solid", Phil's picture should be right next to it!

birch
Old 10-16-2005, 01:51 AM

The only way to describe Phil Rudd is "Simple Perfection". He doesn't do anything too fancy. He just does what fits perfect with the song. He is definately one of my favorite drummers. To bad he was gone from AC/DC for so long. He is back now but for the longest time it was Chris Slade and someone else I can't remember. The Razors edge was recorded using Chris Slade. Not that he wasn't a good drummer, but he was no Phil Rudd. I doubt rudd has ever used a splash in his life.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 AM
Senior Administrator

funnily enough phil also doesn't use a ride. he just has loads of really big crashes. does kind of beg the question though: is a 22 '' crash not a ride? when does one change into the other?

j

Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM

I love phils less is more attitude as it shows he aint in the band to be the star he is doing a drummers job and keep the timing solid etc
Old 10-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsamoto
Good thing I joined this forum. How can you have a list of drummers with no Phil Rudd.
Welcome to the DrummerWorld forum. This forum exists as an extension of the main DrummerWorld site, which of course has a page devoted entirely to Phill Rudd, including pictures, a biography, and a list of bands that he has played with.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:00 AM
Pioneer Member

i'm sorry guy's but i take exception to this ... i have worked long and hard ( as probably many of you have) to get to the cusp of being fairly professional only to have people praise a guy that keeps 2&4 mediocrely. It's like a meg white arguement.Just because they are in a popular band they get the world of drummers thrown at their feet.This really pisses me off.And don't say that he SERVES the music 'cause there is plenty of space in acdc's songs that a good fill would augment the song...
Old 10-23-2005, 05:05 AM
Pioneer Member

sorry guy's i never had the chance to finish my reply...that being said(what i said above)i still think that "BACK IN BLACK " is probably the one of the best rock albums ever.....i also thought "FLICK OF THE SWITCH " was their most underated....
Old 10-24-2005, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang
i'm sorry guy's but i take exception to this ... i have worked long and hard ( as probably many of you have) to get to the cusp of being fairly professional only to have people praise a guy that keeps 2&4 mediocrely. It's like a meg white arguement.Just because they are in a popular band they get the world of drummers thrown at their feet.This really pisses me off.And don't say that he SERVES the music 'cause there is plenty of space in acdc's songs that a good fill would augment the song...
If your a "fairly professional" drummer and you can't appreciate phil rudd then you have a long way to go sir.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:58 AM
fourstringdrums

I never really appreciated Phil Rudd until after I read an interview with Lars Ulrich where he talked about how Phil plays behind the beat alittle bit. I never knew this and then one day I heard AC/DC on the radio and it hit me how much he does play behind the beat alittle. It does so much for the song. By that alone you know whether it's him or not.

Nutha, it never occured to me that he doesn't use a ride :)
Old 10-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Administrator

playing behind the beat is a crucial skill for drummers who want to sound fat. often what makes the ;less is more' drummers great is their abilty to play around the marker so subtly that it takes a good drummer to spot it but joe public just feels the sex groove there.

in rhythm mag a while ago they interviewd phill and he said he doesn't use a ride.
j

Old 10-24-2005, 05:11 PM

I remember my very first drum lesson sometime around 1980-81... my drum teacher goes through my records... pulls out AC/DC's Highway to Hell.

He started me just playing a simple 2 & 4, ever since Phill Rudd has been the back bone of my playing style.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:51 PM
Pioneer Member

i just got the album "let there be rock". he is VERY solid, and i noticed he keeps the high hat pedal going throughout. a sign that he really feels the beat. it's funny he doesn't use a ride, but then he doesn't seem to use any of his toms either most of the time. you can tell he is good from how perfect the start of "whole lotta rosie" sounds.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 PM

Solid,Steady, an absolutely awesome drummer....
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
Stu_Strib

Intangibly great. Just play along with headphones and see why. He's just more proof why all the up and coming young chops-driven drummers need to just slow down a bit and figure out the 2&4 first.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 AM

I pattern my whole style after Phil. Everything from my playing to my sound. Dirty Deeds is a fave.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:21 PM

I have always enjoyed playing along with AC/DC records or CD's (which ever era your from). Phil is very solid and creates such a great groove with Angus's guitar riffs. I am glad people are talking about him on this web site, I think a lot of drummers take him for granted.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Pioneer Member

there's something very professional about him, even though most of his stuff isn't too hard to play. you can tell he's really good, just by listening to his basic rock beat.
i can't quite place my finger on it...
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Its knowing what not to play that makes Phil great. think of how the groove on Highway to Hell would have been ruined with a great Potnoyesque (new word alert) fill at the end of every verse. Its like Willy Nelson says about alot of singers, "Theyre trying to hard, just relax and sing"
Old 02-15-2006, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I've seen dozens of bands do AC-DC cover tunes, it's amazing how nobody ever really mimics Phils groove. Most of the players, even an AC-DC tribute band I've seen, throw in that seemingly good augmenting fill or too busy on the bass drum or whatever only to completely destroy the feel of the song. Just an observation, not trying to be argumentative.
I got to see Phil with AC-DC in 1979, when Bon Scott was still around. Kewl.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:27 PM

Layin' out a very solid groove, that's what he's all about.

I also saw them live, and you can tell that he's in charge back there.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:21 AM

I would say that Phil was not one of my favorite drummers but I also grew up in the era of greats such as Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, John Bonham,Neil Peart and Stewart Copeland . I am not going to cut Phil down as the music that he played served the interests of AC/DC and not Phil Rudd. He appears to be more comfortable as a "team" player. Kind of like Charlie Watts for the "Rolling Stones".
Old 02-20-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Not putting fills in all of the empty spaces in their music is the whole point of why he is a great drummer. He understands letting the music flow and not taking away from the groove by playing to busy. Just like Ringo, Charlie Watts, and Larry Mullens Jr.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Pioneer Member

just got the "stiff upper lip" dvd. very cool to watch him drumming, as he uses those cool black sticks metal drummers use. his drumming on the dvd is just as good, if not even more perfect for the music. and his kit sounds really good as well.
Old 02-21-2006, 11:04 AM

I really like Phil Rudd's drumming. I think his finest work is on Highway to Hell
Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 PM

Bigbang I don't agree with you. There are a lot of drummers out there that only play what the music calls for and you don't get to see their entire range or skill sets. Charlie Watts, Steve Smith and Phill Rudd are just a few. Phill keeps solid time and does not over play he fits in. Steve Smith in the Journey days played what the music required and so does Charlie Watts.

Watched a music video of the Stones and AC/DC (well Angus and Malcom) playing some R&B together. Well you could tell the dif in Charlie right away. He has an interest in Jazz so I have read and it showed. He was letting it "Swing" and sounded great. He was smiling ear to ear which you never see with the typical Stones songs....

Big Fills, Smoke, Fire, and acid rain are great but there is something about a drummer who lays down a solid groove that is crisp and clean (ie Rick Latham, or Purdie) that is the mark of a real pro IMHO....
Old 05-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Silver Member

Yes Phil is a fantastic drummer just because he doesn't overplay what some people love to see in songs today. It is wrong to say that he is bad because he isn't! For instance ok it may not be the flashiest drum beat in the world but i think the intro to High Voltage kicks ass! He also has very good stamina as he can keep 'Whole lotta Rosie' and 'Let there be Rock' goin constantly on the hi-hats at that speed for that long, which i find quite difficult. Chris Slade was also a good example of a solid drummer who could lay down a groove! Listen to Fire Your guns on Live in Donnington man this guy has stamina!
Old 05-09-2006, 05:31 PM

I've always said that Rudd's drumming was (at least almost) as important to the overall AC/DC sound as Angus and Malcolm's guitar work. Sure they went through that period without him okay, but for me it just wasn't the real AC/DC until Phil rejoined.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Yeah AC/DC is one of my favorite groups...............He lays the line for the beat. Phil is the best I have ever heard for keepin a solid foundation for music. Wow if I could just have the Sonar custom drumset he has........................

mlaugh

Last edited by mlaugh; 09-29-2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:32 AM

Not a idol status drummer but still able to keep a beat and he does define the word solid.

Last edited by DWfan20005; 01-29-2007 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:17 AM

LOL this is funny.. On another forum I am on there was a thread there about back in black. So today I pulled out all my AC DC cds and played to em all..

Yep Excellent Drummer...

Mike
Old 07-13-2007, 10:17 AM

Well, in the wonderfully subjective world of music, I get to not like this guy's playing. I like a little dynamics in music and this guy makes a living off this basic rock beat that anyone can play. He should be good at it, it's all he does. No thanks. Very overrated band IMO.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo61 View Post
To bad he was gone from AC/DC for so long. He is back now but for the longest time it was Chris Slade and someone else I can't remember. The Razors edge was recorded using Chris Slade. Not that he wasn't a good drummer, but he was no Phil Rudd. I doubt rudd has ever used a splash in his life.
Simon Wright is someone else you can't remember. He also played with DIO for a short. Chris Slade is no Phil Rudd, sure, but his resume is equally if not more impressive (the Firm, Manfred Mann just to mention a couple).....

Back to Phil........
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Phil is the man!

My teacher wanted to teach me "Rock and Roll aint Noise Pollution" and I was hesitant. I thought it would be very boring.

He told me to play it just as it is. As close to note for note as possible.

He explained that it is a difficult song to play because of the tempo. The tempo is in the middle of fast and slow, and therefore the groove is hard to feel.

It is an easy song technically to play, but to keep a solid, simple groove locked in with so much space is a bit of a chore. Phil makes it sound so good.

ACDC rocks with the most basic of guitar, bass and drum parts yet sounds so great.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:36 AM

yeah, phil is super.. one of the best.
when i was a kid, i used to stare at the back cover of the "if you want blood album" for hours. i love his hi hat sound.
he is probably the reason i use sonor drums today!
the footage of him at a "rock goes to college" gig in 1978 is superb.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham rogers View Post
yeah, phil is super.. one of the best.
when i was a kid, i used to stare at the back cover of the "if you want blood album" for hours. i love his hi hat sound.
he is probably the reason i use sonor drums today!
the footage of him at a "rock goes to college" gig in 1978 is superb.
Yeah, that drum set shot was bad ass.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM

you could almost smell the venue!
Old 07-28-2007, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

Default Drummer From Ac/Dc

why does he always start most of his songs off with clicking the hi hat?
Old 07-28-2007, 02:02 AM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Drummer From Ac/Dc

That's just how he chose to start off the song.

Hopefully this doesn't turn into a:

- Why does he play the same beat every song?

- Why does he almost never play fills in every song?

- Why when he does play a fill is it always the same in every song?

thread.