DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-20-2007, 04:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Help my kick

I am really hating the sound of my 26" bass drum!!!!
I have an Aquarian Superkick II on the batter with nothing inside. For front heads, I change them all the time due to studio and touring. Most of the time I have a custom head on it or Force II (like a remo PS3).
I need to stick with Aquarian, as I endorse them.

Right now, my kick just sounds like a "BANG", I tried to stick a pillow in it, but it didn't change the sound. I want something lower end, more of a real big BOOM!

Should I go to a Superkick 1? A Studio-X? Impaced Series?

I need to get rid of that high end!!!
Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: HELP MY KICK

I run a 6 ply Ludwig 26x14, Powerstroke3 batter and an ebony Ambassador with a Holz Port reso. and wide open (nothing inside). So try your Force II batter (or a Force I) and a single ply head reso. Looks like they (Aquarian) make a ported head with a 4 3/4" off-set hole http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...play.asp?id=14 which would be a lot like my reso. My kick go boom...not bang. Big boom!

Last edited by harryconway; 05-20-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I read about another drummer on here (cdrums21, if memory serves) that had trouble with the Superkick II. I believe I would try the Superkick I or even the Force II if that comes in a batter version. Although I've only used them on 22" and 24", I've never liked the results given by a two-ply batter head on my bass drums.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

How do you have the SKII tuned? I am using that on my 22 right now and it is perfect. I have an Evans EQ3 on the front. The reso is tuned to about its lowest sustaining pitch, and the batter is a bit higher. You need to tighten the SKII up a little otherwise you will just get a slappy sound.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

i liked the Sk1 pretty ok. the impact i beleave is a decent choice too.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-20-2007, 03:54 PM

I'd say SK1 with a lighter front head. I think a lighter front head would get you more of that boom.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:56 AM

I have a 24, not a 26, but I use the SKII batter with the regulator reso with the small offset hole. Reso is tuned to its lowest note, batter is tighter than that, and it BOOOMS!
Old 05-22-2007, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Help my kick

I think for a wide diameter bass drum, single ply head is prefered if you want get the better lower end possible.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 05-22-2007, 03:06 AM

I have a 26"er. I achieve a good sound by tuning the resonate head way up, like to maybe the tension of a rack tom, and the batter to a little bit higher than most people tune a smaller bass drum. It gives a nice thump.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM

I've tried the Force series resonant heads, again, on everything I own (Mapex Saturn 20, 22, Sonors 20, 22, 26). I disliked both I and II. I wouldn't use a Powerstroke. They have no tone, imo.

As an experiment this weekend, I placed the SKII on my new Saturn 20x18, and left the stock head on (Remo PS3), it sounded horrible, like I was kicking a brown paper bag. Next, I placed a new Force II on the kick (locals didn't have 20" Regulator). Ditto. Think Glad or Hefty.

I eventually (20 minutes before sound check) found a 20" Regulator, and my smile came back. I'm convinced there is no better combo for the sound I prefer, which has alot of attack, with a round tone following the initial stroke. I do not bury the beater, fwiw.

I tune the heads opposite the technique of my toms: Slightly tighter batter than reso. I don't use anything for muffling, normally. Occasionally when the PA system / soung guy is less than desirable, I'll place small towel against the reso head.

All this is not intended to give you tuning advice, it's supposed to let you where I'm coming from.

Hope this helps,

SRJ
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

n2xlr8n,
Do you lose any volume with the Regulator reso? I use an SKII batter with a PS3 ebony reso on my 18"x24" keller shell DW. I do alot of unmiced gigs and I thought maybe the Regulator might be too dead (volume). I'm sure it sounds great though.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
n2xlr8n,
Do you lose any volume with the Regulator reso? I use an SKII batter with a PS3 ebony reso on my 18"x24" keller shell DW. I do alot of unmiced gigs and I thought maybe the Regulator might be too dead (volume). I'm sure it sounds great though.

No, not at all in terms of what sounds good to me. I have friends that prefer to tighten the heads to the point that feels good to their foot/feet, then EQ and/or gate the sound to produce the desired effect. That's just not my way of going about it. I could probably make the BDs sound louder, but I would lose the sound I prefer. Right or wrong, the way my drums sound unmic'd is the way I want them to sound mic'd (live).

I hope this helped,

SRJ
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
Guinness

I had a lot of the same problem, although my bass drum is a 22". I did however aquire a boom after an entire month of experimentaion and purchases that had my wife hating me for a brief moment. By the grace of God I was able to find the perfect combination for the BOOM!. I use an SK1 on the batter and a ported Regulator on the front. Both are Aquarian heads. I tune the batter at about the same tension as my 16" floor tom and the reso just past the wrinkle stage. You really don't need muffling, although I rolled up a small dish towel and taped it up. I lay this up against the reso head. It booms deep and loud....doesn't choke out like it would with heavy muffling. My band loves the kick drum sound.

P.S...If anyone is in the market for a few "lesser" bass drum heads I have a few laying around. :-)
Old 05-23-2007, 06:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I had a lot of the same problem, although my bass drum is a 22". I did however aquire a boom after an entire month of experimentaion and purchases that had my wife hating me for a brief moment. By the grace of God I was able to find the perfect combination for the BOOM!. I use an SK1 on the batter and a ported Regulator on the front. Both are Aquarian heads. I tune the batter at about the same tension as my 16" floor tom and the reso just past the wrinkle stage. You really don't need muffling, although I rolled up a small dish towel and taped it up. I lay this up against the reso head. It booms deep and loud....doesn't choke out like it would with heavy muffling. My band loves the kick drum sound.

P.S...If anyone is in the market for a few "lesser" bass drum heads I have a few laying around. :-)

My guy over at Aquarian suggested the same combo, SK1 with a ported Regulator.
I think I'll try it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

I think Aquarian meant for the Regulator to be used together with the SKI, SKII and SKIII - I remember reading this on their site.

I have a SKII/Regulator combo. And the difference the Regulator made was huge. It really produces a deep, tight thump. And I'm just talking about a 22".
Old 05-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justJon View Post
I have a 24, not a 26, but I use the SKII batter with the regulator reso with the small offset hole. Reso is tuned to its lowest note, batter is tighter than that, and it BOOOMS!
I use a SK1 and regulator reso with an offset hole as well and it really has changed the sound of my bass drum. Try that, do you get heads for free ? Surely you could get all their different heads and try them all.

Tom
Old 05-25-2007, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomodrum1 View Post
Try that, do you get heads for free ? Surely you could get all their different heads and try them all.

Tom
/\ /\ /\

Hes right, If I was an endorser, Id get a bunch of heads and try them out, much like the way cymbal companies let endorsers try their range of cymbals before taking them home.

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)