DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Why aren't all Hi-Hat stands two-legged?

I was wondering about this. I mean, any other cymbal stand will have three legs, so three legs kind of comes naturally. But with a pedal, that is your third leg, so 2-legged hat stands work. I have a three-legged one, but my teacher's set has 2 legs, and it's way more comfortable and easier to set up a double bass pedal. Plus, less legs might mean easier and/or cheaper to manufacture... so why are beginner and even normal hi-hat stands 3-legged?
Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why aren't all Hi-Hat stands two-legged?

Some things in drumming change very little and the marketplace is pretty conservative. I don't think any real breakthoughs have taken hold of the marketplace since the 1980s, which saw a burst of innovation. Anymore, things are just refinements of the basic drum set up. People have expected a hihat stand to have three legs since they came out in the 1930s, so that's the way they've always been made. Plus, I hear two-legged stands are a bit less stable, but I've never played one so i don't know.

My hihat stand has no legs. I removed the three legs and I clamp it to a cymbal stand.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I don't think any real breakthoughs have taken hold of the marketplace since the 1980s, which saw a burst of innovation.
Haha, yeah, if you call power toms innovation...

But I see what you mean.

If I owned a drum/hardware company it'd be all 2 legged hi-hat stands all the time.
Old 05-20-2007, 03:01 AM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

DW had patented the 2-legged stand! I kid you not.

If you find another 2-legged hi-hat, it's because:

DW's patent was reversed

DW has relaxed enforcement

DW is getting a royalty from the other manufacturers

or...

The other manufacturer has gotten around the DW patent. Example: Ludwig offers a 3-legged stand where the 3rd leg is short and easily (and obviously) detachable by the user. Technically though, it is a 3-legged stand.

Bermuda
Old 05-20-2007, 03:13 AM
Pioneer Member

I recently got one of the Yamaha 2 legged stands, and a joy it is too.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

There was also a time that no kick pedal or hi-hat had a floor plate. Without a floor plate, a two-legged hi-hat would simple fall over. I've found stability to be quite an issue with "some" two-legged stands. I currently run a no-legged Tama hi-hat stand. I clamp it firmly to a cymbal stand. It provides even "more" room than two-legger.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:50 AM

I want a four-legged stand, heck, maybe even five.

The two leggers are almost a necessity if you play a double pedal, but I find that the 3-leggers are a bit more stable, especially if your kit sits atop thick carpeting.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:40 AM

My first dw hat stand (5000) had a removable third leg, that was somewhere around 90-91. I can't remember a stand having that feature until then. It was a little shaky after removing the third, but now with locking footplates and added wing screws two legs have increased in stability greatly. I'm surprised that with racks being as popular and stable as they are more companies don't offer a legless stand, just using a clamp to connect to the rack.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I was wondering about this. I mean, any other cymbal stand will have three legs, so three legs kind of comes naturally. But with a pedal, that is your third leg, so 2-legged hat stands work. I have a three-legged one, but my teacher's set has 2 legs, and it's way more comfortable and easier to set up a double bass pedal. Plus, less legs might mean easier and/or cheaper to manufacture... so why are beginner and even normal hi-hat stands 3-legged?

Hmmmm, they could all be 2 legged. ;-)

Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post

I feel like I'm getting to that point because having a three-legged stand is annoying me. My slave pedal is to the left of my hi-hat, with the connecter bar thing passing over my hi-hat pedal because i like my hats closer to me. I want to invest in a 2-legged stand, or remove the legs and get a clamp... I guess the clamp is cheaper, though. But I don't have a cymbal stand to clamp to right next to my hi-hat stand.

For the people who use clamps for their hi-hats, could you post up a picture or something so I could see how I would go about that?
Old 05-20-2007, 06:23 AM
Platinum Member

Uh, I just looked at how my stands are set up, and i measured, and the only way i could attatch a clamp from my hi-hat to the closest stand (my snare stand) with a clamp is if i had a clamp that was a foot long. Does anyone know if someone makes something like DW's dogbones that's 12 inches long? I checked DW's website, the longest dogbone with a clamp wide enough for the stand is only 7 inches.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Platinum Member

When I played a double bass kit I had a hi-hat stand with no legs - it just clamped onto the rim of the left hand bass drum.

The reason many stands need three legs is because they don't have a rigid footplate under the pedal.

For what it's worth, I knocked over a two-legged hi-hat stand while trying to squeeze through the displays at Guitar Center the last time I was there! Luckily I caught it before it fell all the way over, but it didn't do much to impress me with the stability of said stand.

I wouldn't mind having a two-legger, but it would need to be more stable than the one I bumped. Wish I remembered/noticed what brand it was.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:32 AM

I just looked on the dw site, they have some clamps that will connect to hat stand and cymbal stand, just get a bar/ pipe to connect the two.

DWCPRKB12S 12” Straight Bar

Last edited by negativeattitude; 09-20-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Dude! That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

I need to make some money though... I'm pretty much broke right now.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post

Im not sure i follow you

Myspace-Add me!
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

I used a Gibraltar no-legger for awhile. Parts are 18. No-leg Hi-hat to Rack
9707NL
SC-EA100
SC-GRSSM and you can view them here: http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/index.cfm?fa=rf7# click on the big "click here for details. Basically, the SC-EA100 and the SC-GRSSM are the workhorse clamps and you could probably use almost any hi-hat.
Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
It is called stability asnd the two-legged versions don't have as much. The pedal really isn't much of a support because it is going to be in motion some of the time. I think that the 2 legs is okay, but the stability factor is going to have to be improved. One thing I have seen is the Ludwig version which has a mini-leg (back to a tripod)!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 05-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Silver Member

lol at Wy Yung and Jolly Mosher!!!

I've been using three legged and (mostly) double legged Yamaha hi-hat stands for some years now, played on many surfaces and I have never had stability issues with the double legged version - it stays perfectly put. Heck I've even caught my stick on the hi-hat stand at a gig, and forced my way though it and it did not move from it's initial place after it wobbled. That to say that I don't really get what some of you guys are saying when you mention that they are less stable, maybe it's a question of brands and models?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, my teacher's double-legged stand is pretty sturdy, actually... I'm not sure what model it is, though. But the base of the pedal is built well enough that it doesn't budge. Maybe it does actually cost manufacturers more if they have to make a sturdier pedal base, but I wouldn't know.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drum-Head View Post
That to say that I don't really get what some of you guys are saying when you mention that they are less stable, maybe it's a question of brands and models?
I had a DW 5000 with a removable 3rd leg, and as a 2-legger, it was almost worthless. I had a Tama 2 legger that was less stable than the Gibraltar no-legger with the 1 clamp/attachment combo described in post 16. Right now I'm using a Tama no-legger with a similar clamping arrangement. In a few days I hope to have a Yamaha 3 legged (eBay) stand delivered. Certainly brand/models are key factors with almost every aspect of drumming equipment.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

I have a Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand, which is two legged, and I love it! I need to get another one of those because I also have a DW 8000 hi hat stand and I don't like it at all. I can never get the stand to go completely flat, it's always tilted towards me.

I'm not sure about other companies, but I know some of Tama three-legged hi hat stands have "swivel" legs so you can maneuver a double pedal around it.

birch
Old 05-22-2007, 06:10 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178 View Post
I'm not sure about other companies, but I know some of Tama three-legged hi hat stands have "swivel" legs so you can maneuver a double pedal around it.
My Pearl H1000K has 3 swivel legs.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

For the people who use clamps for their hi-hats, could you post up a picture or something so I could see how I would go about that?
Check out http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=23501&page=2. I removed the legs and used an old CB700 cast aluminum clamp to connect my hihat to a cymbal stand. It is very stable. I removed the legs carefully, so I can re-install them if I ever want to again.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178 View Post
Yeah, my Ludwig Hat stand is as basic as it gets, but it has swivel legs. It's just still a hassle because I don't like the leg right next to the pedal or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Check out http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=23501&page=2. I removed the legs and used an old CB700 cast aluminum clamp to connect my hihat to a cymbal stand. It is very stable. I removed the legs carefully, so I can re-install them if I ever want to again.
Yeah, I checked my stand, and I should be able to remove the legs in a similar fashion. When I get the chance I'm gonna buy a clamp and do so.

Those homemade gadgets you jerryrigged are pretty awesome. I especially love the cymbal stackers.