DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Some natural shell goodness

You should all check these out : http://www.lukapercussion.com/ For one piece snares and kit. I heard a Jazz kit they made, it is stunning. Totally out of the ordinary, it's the holy grail of drum, in my opinion!
Old 04-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Gold Member

And for those of you not on ghostnote...

That's the birdseye maple with a fade...

and here's a one made of beech with a blue stain..

Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspesien View Post
You should all check these out : http://www.lukapercussion.com/ For one piece snares and kit. I heard a Jazz kit they made, it is stunning. Totally out of the ordinary, it's the holy grail of drum, in my opinion!
Wow, someone else out there is doing solid-shell sets. The Luka stuff is beautiful and it's offered in different woods and finishes. Spirit drums only come in one wood and finish, Cooktown ironwood, but that's what makes them unique.

Steam-bent shells are similar to solid shells in many ways. However, solid shells use the natural grain of the wood to conduct sound from the bearing edge and through the shell, one of the secrets to a solid shell's amazing presence and projection. Stave drums have similar physics. Since steam-bent shells have the wood grain running across the shell and not up and down, they won't have the unusual characteristics of true solid shells.

If you ever get a chance to play a solid-shell set, don't pass it up. I'm spoiled now and I could never go back to anything else.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Gold Member

Updated the first post with the picture of the snare I grabbed for sure.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Pioneer Member

God damn that is beautiful. So how many snares have you constructed? That is one of the most beautiful grains i've ever seen. Killer lug choice too.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

My partner in crime Francois does the shells for Unix. I'm afraid I don't have the skill to put together joints like that. =) Him and I are starting up a company here soon selling shells and an assembled drum here and there.

I've done about 4 snares now but mostly just for fun. It's a great hobby and with my latest connections with getting various metal shells and having Francois doing the staves we figure eventually we should make a little money from it. lol Truthfully assembling a drum from a shell is easy stuff as long as you have the patience to measure 298798752 times and drill very very carefully.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I'm curious, how loud and resonant are staves actually? I once had an acryl set and I wasn't very fond of it. Pretty loud and very bright. But the plywood I got now, even tho it's a hi end set, isn't necessarily better. It's a warmer, more natural sound, but also more "flat" and duller.

I'm looking for the sound you get from miced kits, the drum sound you hear on CD's, but without resorting to electronic gear. Do staves offer that? Like said, I'm not very fond of loud and very resonant sets since I'd have to muffle them (which is a step backward).
Old 05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Gold Member

It's solid but it's not overly resonant by any means. It's got a really nice CRACK to it without being overly harsh. I'll do my best to get in the studio this week to record it... had a LOT going on these past few weeks so I haven't been able to yet, sorry.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
It's solid but it's not overly resonant by any means. It's got a really nice CRACK to it without being overly harsh. I'll do my best to get in the studio this week to record it... had a LOT going on these past few weeks so I haven't been able to yet, sorry.
Thanks for the effort and take your time ;-)
Old 05-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

i wonder if people have tryed acyric/ wood stave, layed out like that. it would sound close to a hybrid i would think.

Myspace-Add me!