DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-25-2007, 04:53 AM

Default Latest Project

My very first drumset was a set of Ludwigs, I believe that they were the early "Rockers" before the Rockers had a badge that said "Rocker" (it had a black and white parallelogram badge) either way, it was a 22/13/16, with a plain black gloss wrap (the cymbals and snare I got in the deal were actually pretty damned good) The BD recently sustained some pretty nasty water damage in my guitar players basement, so I decided to use them for a little fun project, and for future reference on finishing, if I ever decide to buy raw shells and DIY a kit.

The BD is about halfway through right now I'd say, I'm simply putting a tung oil finish on it, and its about 4 coats in. I screwed the lugs in, and put the original hoops on just to get a look, it's already looking kinda sweet. The Black head looks ridiculous with the tan drum, but I think the black hoops might look okay with something like a Fiberskyn reso. Who knows . . . probably go with a matching or rosewood hoop in the end. I'm planning on a few more coats, and sanding down that filler I've got on the vent hole (I pulled the badge off, but couldn't find the plyers to crimp the ring back down flush. Started off just as a goof off fun project, but I'm really starting to like the look, and it even seems to be sounding okay from a tap, but I haven't thumped it with the pedal yet. Wish I had done a more thorough job trying to remove the discoloration from the water/mold but that woulda been a lot of trouble for a cheap drum that at the time I thought was just a practice run.

I guess I'll do the 13 and 16 as well, although I'm not a big fan of either size (the 13 is "power depth" so it might make a decent FT paired with a traditional depth 12" Rack tom if I can find one cheap that I wouldn't mind stripping to the wood.

Before:

Old 04-25-2007, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Latest Project

looks very vintage like with those worn hoops...i think you should buy yourself some new ones though...they will totally enhance the look....but looking like a decent job so far
Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 AM
Platinum Member

Wow dude, totally awesome. So what about the hoops...the restoration is beautiful.
Nice work.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 AM

I'm definitely gonna have to buy new hoops eventually, those seem to have shrunk up a bit, and don't really fit, and the batter side one is really out of round from the water damage. Like I said, either Rosewood colored or matching seems like the way to go. If I get Rosewood, I might sand em a little to "distress" them . . .

The hoops on my main kit are actually a good color for this (Matte Sienna Yamaha Stage Custom Abs. Nouveau), but might be a little too thick for those claws.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

Very nice! Can't go wrong with tung oil for a nice easy finish. I've gotten hooked on using automotive polyurethane for that nice deeeeep gloss since I don't have the time, patience, or money to deal with polyester. 0000 steel wool is your friend
Old 04-30-2007, 12:54 AM

Finished the 13" Power tom this morning, I'm actually pretty happy with the way it turned out. It seems to work well as a suspended floor tom (tons of sustain just from a tap). Keeping the low-gloss, bordering on Satin finish instead of putting any poly or laquer on top. Anyway, I think the eventual plan has just become:

purchase Keller 8x12 shell, use hardware from 16" Floor Tom, to "complete" this set as a 12/13/22, then as finances permit substitute a 14" floor tom, and 14x20 BD, finish all with rubbed Tung Oil (try to do a bit more "proffesional" job with the nicer shells (again stealing the hardware from this set as I go). At that point If It sounds good I may get rid of the Yamaha Stage Customs I gig with now.

Some comparison befores of the 13" w/ the finished BD shell (before of the BD is above) and a couple pics of the drums as they sit in the front room right now.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

Ya know.. Saluda usually has some bass hoops on ebay for a pretty good deal. =) Looking great so far!
Old 04-30-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the heads up, it definitely needs them, but I will probably hold off on hoops for the BD until all the heads are replaced and the 8x12 Rack tom is purchased and finished.

But in the end some nice rosewood hoops and either a Fiberskyn or Modern Vintage front head are gonna look great on that bass drum. (and even better on a less dinged up 14x20 keller shell at some point - though that's gonna require new hoops since the above is a 22")