DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Ludwig floor tom

C Can anyone please tell me when Ludwig made 14" toms with ten lugs? I just bought this off ebay for $90. It looks like it was a hanging tom, because it still has the tom mount, but I thought this size tom generally had eight lugs.

Last edited by Jusstickinaround; 04-25-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Re: Ludwig floor tom

Another photo.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

The blue/olive badge had sharp corners at first, those appear rounded, which would make the drum a 79/80 or later production. I've known cats to mount 14x14's as rack toms, so perhaps you have a kustom mod. there. Or a special order.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Measure the height of the drum without heads. It is most likely that the drum is 13" tall and somebody added legs to use as a floor tom. I saw the drum on eBay.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:16 PM
fusssion

I agree.

Remeasure ......w/out the rims,...I bet it's a 13x14 ...and it's definately a mounted tom that's been converted. In the mirror you can see the wrap is held on w/ 'rivets' ...that along w/ the badge dates it, and I believe that's correct,....probably early 80's.

Ludwigvondrumcrazy would know for sure....message himl, or wait till he chimes in,...HE WILL DEFINATELY know for sure! :-)
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

I'm wondering if this was an actual floor tom that was converted to a rack tom because I believe Ludwig went from the L-rod type tom mount

to the pole mount (modular)

It's definately a later 70's/early 80's by the badge. Ludwigvoncrazy will know.

birch
Old 04-26-2007, 04:36 AM
Jusstickinaround

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
The blue/olive badge had sharp corners at first, those appear rounded, which would make the drum a 79/80 or later production. I've known cats to mount 14x14's as rack toms, so perhaps you have a kustom mod. there. Or a special order.
Yes, thank you, but what about the ten lug 14" tom? I've only seen eight lug toms in this size.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:31 AM
Platinum Member

Well, here's a 10 lug concert on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-70S-14-CH...QQcmdZViewItem also someone selling a 14" hoop off a 10 lug tom. http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-14-Drum-H...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-26-2007, 11:38 AM

I can think of a couple of possibilities, one it's a Double-Headed Power Tom that Ludwig lists in Catalog '80 as having "Additional Tension Castings," with the other possibility being that it's a converted Marching / Parade Tom from a Series like the Challenger that had ten Lugs. Most of the Challenger Toms that I'm familiar with only had a single head commonly using a "Sound Projector" on the bottom but it's entirely possible that someone made one a Double-Headed Tom. I know a guy that took quite a few 1970's Concert Toms and converted them to Double-Headed Toms during the 1990's.......................

Whatever it is, it's more than likely that someone took a drill to it and either added the Floor Tom Leg Mounts or the Hanging Tom Mount, or both if it started life as a Marching / Parade Tom. Does it have any "extra" holes that would indicate that it may have had a Strainer on it at some point in the past?? Just curious...............

LVDC
Old 04-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Silver Member

Juststickin,
I have 2 or 3 late 70's Wigs, all with deep "power" toms. The 12's, 13's, 14's, 15's & 16's all have extra lugs. It was part of the bigger is better hardware boom from that era. There was a question in Drum or Mod Drum last December from a guy with these same toms and he was looking for RIMS mounts for them. The answer from Ludwig was that that was the practice at the time and that they had Vibrabands for all but the 15". I Bought RIMS back in '90. When I got the second set, I had to take 2 of the bands to a machine shop and have them replicated and then had them chrome plated in order for all of them to match. I wouldn't be concerned about it, as long as the drum is in round. It just takes more time to change heads and tune. That's all.... Hope this helps!