DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-14-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Purpose of stick length

Ok i am a little bit confused.What is the purpose of stick length?I mean what does extra length give to the stick?A short stick has a faster response?Would that affect the ghost notes for example?I have been using the buddy rich sticks which seem fine to me but when i tried to use the Jojo mayer sticks everything changed!

I mean i just couldn't get used to them.Generally i focus on groove and ghost notes and i am totally confused about wheather a jazz stick such as Buddy's would be ideal for that type.Should i switch to a shorter stick? Please i hope that someone can help me because i just can't get it into my head because of not too much experience on the drums.I have been playing for 3.5 years so i am not an expert in these matters!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Purpose of stick length

One factor would be length from the fulcrum (the joint ~ your wrist) affecting strength and speed

I think :|
Old 04-14-2007, 02:44 PM

I always thought a shorter smaller stick would help with speed and double strokes.

I was wrong!

I bought a few pairs of Mike Mangini 's signature Zildjian sticks after meeting him at one of his clinics. These 5b 17" Hickory monsters are perfect! The sticks do all the work!
Old 04-14-2007, 03:14 PM
Pioneer Member

Another thought, could be the sound. There is probably a slightly heavier sound in the longer sticks. Possibly more loud too.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:18 PM

I'm liking the Buddy Rich sticks alot.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 PM

longer sticks give you more leverage. thats pretty much it. a stick is a lever, and the longer the arm, the more force you a transfering to the drum head. the problem with this is that a longer stick can also feel more top heavy if it isnt designed with a taper to match the length (on example of this is vf's 5as and x5as. the x5as are the same stick, just a little thicker and 1/2" longer, with the same tip and taper. the result is a much more top heavy stick compared to the 5a).

I like longer sticks because they give you a little more reach and a little more leverage. Right now I am using the vater super jazz sticks. about 16 1/2" long, .555" thick, and a great long easy taper with out getting too thin at the tip.

This extra leverage translates into extra velocity, which in turn means more rebound and more volume.

Shorter sticks really fly off the cymbals (though this can also be achieved with a longer taper as is demonstrated by vf's American Jazz series) and are easier to move around the kit, but are harder to generate sound with.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:22 PM
fusssion

good thread.....because, I've been thinking about trying something a little shorter than my usual stick, ( Vater Fusion ) ....it's basically the Vater Excel,...but it's 3/4" smaller!

I'm a little concerned about the difference, but hell, it's just a pair of sticks right?

I like to set my kit up nice and compact and sometimes I will hit the underside of a tom or my ride if not set up perfectly....this shorter stick may prevent that ! Why not try, eh?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:03 PM

I think that shorter sticks might be better for more groovy stuff because i have a quicker response of the stick when i hit the hi hat.Hence i can play easier 16nth notes on the hi hat than with a longer stick! Also i believe that the best thing we can do is to devote into one pair of sticks and not try different ones while we still test the one that we do.
After a lot of thinking i switched to jojo mayer sticks yesterday and i plan to continue playing with them for at least 1 month maybe 2! Jojo is my god after all and i should give a chance toi his sticks i think!! Also i want to mention that chad smith and vinnie colaiuta have short sticks!I mean shorter than 16' which is the length of the classic 5a.Is it just a coincidence or something else? :)
Old 04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

I wish I could find sticks that were long and thin. It's like the lighter the stick, the shorter it gets. I want a stick with lots of reach, but light weight and flexibility.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:54 AM

Have you tried VF's X5A? It depends on what you call thin. Vic Firth's 5As are a bit undersized to begin with, so the added weight puts them roughly at what a promark 5A is, plus an extra 1/2". My complaint with them is the taper. It's identicle to the 5A, making them a slight bit too top heavy for my taste. I am currently using the Vater super jazz sticks. They are a little thinner, about the same length, with a longer taper so they feel fairly light (for me, anyways).

Other sticks Ive found to be long and light:

VF jack dejohnette
VF david garibaldi
VF steve jordan (16.5 x .520!)

Vater doesnt really have much in this line and i just dont bother with promark any more. far too inconsistent.

Try looking into other woods too. I had a few pairs of mote ghost sticks from kit tools that were made from birch. they broke so fast and were a bit short, so i didnt use them for rock, but they were the most comfortable jazz sticks I have ever played. too bad the company tanked. The softer woods are lighter and absorb more shock as well as have a little more flex, so they tend to be more comfortable as long as you dont abuse them too much. The cymbal sounds are a bit darker too. Birch is rare, but you can find maple sticks kicking around the market.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
good thread.....because, I've been thinking about trying something a little shorter than my usual stick, ( Vater Fusion ) ....it's basically the Vater Excel,...but it's 3/4" smaller!

I'm a little concerned about the difference, but hell, it's just a pair of sticks right?

I like to set my kit up nice and compact and sometimes I will hit the underside of a tom or my ride if not set up perfectly....this shorter stick may prevent that ! Why not try, eh?
then i need the excels because the fusions were a bit too short for me
Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I wish I could find sticks that were long and thin. It's like the lighter the stick, the shorter it gets. I want a stick with lots of reach, but light weight and flexibility.
I share your sentiments. I've been looking for something long and light... just doesn't exist. Closest I can get is some maple sticks and even those aren't to say that long.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos_from_greece! View Post
Ok i am a little bit confused.What is the purpose of stick length?I mean what does extra length give to the stick?A short stick has a faster response?Would that affect the ghost notes for example?I have been using the buddy rich sticks which seem fine to me but when i tried to use the Jojo mayer sticks everything changed!

I mean i just couldn't get used to them.Generally i focus on groove and ghost notes and i am totally confused about wheather a jazz stick such as Buddy's would be ideal for that type.Should i switch to a shorter stick? Please i hope that someone can help me because i just can't get it into my head because of not too much experience on the drums.I have been playing for 3.5 years so i am not an expert in these matters!
I had this problem switching from the Vic Firth 8D to the Steve Gadd Signature stick! I just couldn't get used to the difference in balance!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-18-2007, 02:12 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
then i need the excels because the fusions were a bit too short for me
No, other way around...Fusions are LONGER than the Excels

Fusion is 16" http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=10
Excel is 15 1/4" http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=19
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

How long and how thin do you need them? PM me I maybe able to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ng View Post
I share your sentiments. I've been looking for something long and light... just doesn't exist. Closest I can get is some maple sticks and even those aren't to say that long.
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post