DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-13-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Meg White

I was just thinking ( while watching a white stripes video ). Meg has been playing for the past 10 years, yet her playin is still somewhat sloppy and uneven, I even tried playing along with some songs, and I couldn't replicate the drum parts. I mean its simple, but is it tooo simple. Is it possible, that shes a super drummer, and just plays this way to drive the rest of the drumming community into discussion. Or is she just really sucky, and I've drank too much red bull today? ( Sorry if that didn't make sense, also I wasn't sure if this should go into the drummers subforum ).
Ramble over.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:12 PM
Senior Administrator

Default Re: Meg White.....wonder drummer??

here she is...

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Meg_White.html

i just wish after ten years she could learn to set up a drum kit properly

j

ps: don't bash meg...

... you don't need to

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 04-13-2007, 05:17 PM

oh no, I didn't mean it as bashing, simply an observation. I always assumed she was just another drummer, but now I'm not so sure. Also seen a video a while back and she has a pretty mean right foot.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiltednut View Post
Meg has been playing for the past 10 years, yet her playin is still somewhat sloppy and uneven, I even tried playing along with some songs, and I couldn't replicate the drum parts. I mean its simple, but is it tooo simple.

I've never tried to play White stripes songs, but I have a similar problem when trying to play Neil Young crazy horse material - the father of that garage sound. I am never happy with my version of "Keep on Rockin' in a free world".

I read in an interview that after 30+ years of playing, Crazy horse still sounded as if it was the first time they touched their instrument. And that is exactly the sound they're after.

A "stylish sloppy feel" is hard to achieve. From the little I heard from her, it seems that Meg is good at it.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
i just wish after ten years she could learn to set up a drum kit properly
How do you mean? The tom?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

Hey people seem to want to listen to her, so who cares what she can do? I mean, how much better would you think she is if she could shred a dave weckl play-along? She's doing what (presumably) she wants and what her fans want, done deal. I'd be very surprised if she did lot's of shredding during her free time.

www.myspace.com/booksteindrums
www.myspace.com/neverknowsbestisart
Old 04-13-2007, 09:58 PM

She does whats needed to make the song sound good. To me thats a great drummer.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 PM

Well, I think if you're asking if Meg White has a tremendous amount of technical ability, but she's playing so as to sound like she doesn't ...I'd answer no, I highly doubt that. I mean, she might have some more skill than she lets on, but I'm guessing she's no technician by any stretch.

But, I think she kicks serious butt. Though, I do wonder weather she arranges her parts, or if jack white tells her what to play. I'd probably guess it's some of both.

Anyway, though, I think that technical proficiency really has nothing to do with being a good drummer. It's like the whole speed thing -speed isn't good or bad ...it's just speed. Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are.

I only have the 'get behind me satan' album, but if I mentioned the specific names of a lot of highly esteemed drummers I think her playing far exceeds on that album I'd probably get accused of trolling. I love it because it's just got buckets of attitude and, to me, stuff like getting across attitude, emotion, ego and personality are what make a drummer great -or any artist great, for that matter.

Of course, I'll add my usual disclaimer here: I'm not saying technique is bad or somehow not worthwhile and, yes, there are plenty of musical situations where it's downright necessary. I've spend many, many hours developing mine and I practice a lot ...I just don't spend those hours under the misconception that developing that technique will make me a good drummer or a good artist.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auger View Post
I've spend many, many hours developing mine and I practice a lot ...I just don't spend those hours under the misconception that developing that technique will make me a good drummer or a good artist.
Nicely put, and so true.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:30 AM
Platinum Member

i love thier music. Her playing does not destract from the music as most of the time i dont notice it (strange because i usually her the drum parts of songs before anything else) I love the white stripes so i think she is a good enough drummer. the white stripes are a very simplistic band, she's good enough....

one of these days she'll whip out a solo, you just watch =P
Old 04-14-2007, 03:59 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Jason, of all people you can't really accuse her of having a slightly odd setup. Yours is esoteric as well, as is everybody elses'! We all have our own preferences as such and as moderator, you should be more acutely aware of the personal differences that each drummer prefers in their own particular setup. Meg does her own thing, and that's fine by me. Not a White Stripes fan by any stretch, but they're having a blast, so I see no need to change anything!
Old 04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Anyway, though, I think that technical proficiency really has nothing to do with being a good drummer. It's like the whole speed thing -speed isn't good or bad ...it's just speed. Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are....
man...no matter how much many people may disagree,and even tho i love drums more than most things in life,drums arent(unless in the hands of Terry Bozzio),and never will be Musical instruments...and that doesnt mean you cant have that certain 'Musicality' to your playing...theyre not about chords,or melodies,or harmonies,or notes...theyre percussion...

to be a good druummer, technique is what its all about....you can have simple technique if it works with what you want it to work with,but you cant be a good drummer with a bad or non-existent technique.....

writing and painting are different arts...but as i say a writer with little or no technique to his writing is not a good writer....an artist who cant paint is not a painter...the impressionists may seem to go against this whole way of thinking but the impressionists were actually highly,incredibly proficient painters,who decided to "Simplify",(but by doing so made their work more wonderfully difficult)...

but one thing i do think is that if you have the technical proficienccy and you dont have the feeling,then your not a good drummer....and visa-versa...you need to find that balance where you combine both feeling and skill in one,and so therefore become a greater drummer...Meg White has feeling,but no skill, and therefore her drumming falls down...The White Stripes worked because Jack White held up wonderful riffs,great vocals etc(all debatable of course)...it was interesting at first,but her drumming does wear other drummers down to the point where they have to switch off...

technical proficiency has a lot to do with drums....

my opinion!

Sean
Old 04-15-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks View Post
man...no matter how much many people may disagree,and even tho i love drums more than most things in life,drums arent(unless in the hands of Terry Bozzio),and never will be Musical instruments.

Similiar to how "rap" isn't music or "metal" is just noise? As many drummers have shown, especially the industrial ones, ANYTHING can be a musical instrument. Music, to me, Is a sound that is appealing to the listener, weither that be metal or a bird singing. An instrument is a tool/object that does something. Thus, A musical instrument is an object that makes music, and drums are those.

Now Meg White. IMO, she's a fine drummer, similar to ringo star with the beatles. Doesn't do to much fancy stuff, but yet she doesn't it need to to play with the White Stripes. some genres require less technicality and more simplicity, certain aspects of rock fit that ticket.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
my opinion!
I'm stunned. I've never found an opinion I've disagreed with more than yours.

What about timbre and tone? Just because you're not terry bozzio doesn't mean you can't tune your drums. Danny Carey's a genius with tuning his drums so they resonate perfectly with the music. 100 different drummers can hit a snare drum and sound different, you can't do that with middle C on piano. You can create completely unique sounds with the instrument and the possibilities for composition are AMAZING. Why do you think ringo is respected? Not much in the way of technique, especially compared the scientists of today, but without him, the music wouldn't have been what it was. How is it more a technical instrument than a musical instrument? If you truly believe that, you'll play like that.

It's your opinion, so fine, have it. I'm sorry I had to respond but the idea of the drums being stripped of their musical importance by a drummer no less is kind of the embodiment of my nightmares.

www.myspace.com/booksteindrums
www.myspace.com/neverknowsbestisart
Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Silver Member

I don't care for the "playing what's right for the music" argument in her case, she's just a bad drummer. There is a fine line between playing simply and just plain sucking and she is well over it. There's no maybe she is really good, she just doesn't show it. If you watch her play, you can tell that she has little drumming education. It's a shame people like this can be millionaires and much better musicians end up on the streets.

And haven't we had this discussion before?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsnob View Post
100 different drummers can hit a snare drum and sound different, you can't do that with middle C on piano
Some would disagree.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
man...no matter how much many people may disagree,and even tho i love drums more than most things in life,drums arent(unless in the hands of Terry Bozzio),and never will be Musical instruments......theyre percussion...
Seems to me you might have a 1 man definition of what music, percussion and instruments are. Are not marimba, xylophone, vibraphone, glockenspiel and orchestral chimes all percussion instruments? And to play them, do you not read music? And are not drummers also reading...music? Lines and dots and squigly marks on paper. Seems to me, everyone I've ever run into, whether they play an instrument or not, can identify sheet music. And if someone went to the trouble to write music out for those "tuned cylinders" you're banging on, then they might actually indeed be an instrument. Also, just by coloquiel definition, when you want to find a drum shop in your area, look in the phone book under musical instruments.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiltednut View Post
I was just thinking ( while watching a white stripes video ). Meg has been playing for the past 10 years...Is it possible, that shes a super drummer, and just plays this way to drive the rest of the drumming community into discussion.
You know, that's a very good observation.
Granted, I'm not a huge White Stripes fan, but I've seen them before and always remarked at her impeccable posture.
It's how you're supposed to sit at the drums.
Could be that she is "Drumming Superheroine" and no body's ever realized it before.

...hmmm....

Elvis
Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Pioneer Member

Her playing: it's a beat, it's drums and it sounds good with the music of which I do enjoy.

Animal Life Savers
Old 04-15-2007, 06:56 PM

look at the second word on her drummerworld bio..... minimalist. 'twould appear it is their intention.
the way i see it is her drumming complements the other layers, which is what that style of music is often about. songs with fills every 4 bars are highly annoying. from the tracks i've heard on this site i don't recall hearing one fill any more complex than a single stroke.
they remind me of the dresden dolls. nowhere near as good but not bad.

My kit
Old 04-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Jason, of all people you can't really accuse her of having a slightly odd setup. Yours is esoteric as well, as is everybody elses'! We all have our own preferences as such and as moderator, you should be more acutely aware of the personal differences that each drummer prefers in their own particular setup. Meg does her own thing, and that's fine by me. Not a White Stripes fan by any stretch, but they're having a blast, so I see no need to change anything!
my my you do hold a grudge MFB.

don't use words like 'you as a moderator...' on me again. i as a poster have the right to express an opinion and i don't need you to preach to me how to do my job. very disappointing that you are still in this line of thinking.

meg's tom angle is ridiculous and i as a poster and drum teacher would advise any young drummer against such an un-ergonomic set up. i have every right to do so in this thread. if you have a problem with anything i have just typed please respond in PM and think carefully what you type. your best course of action would be to retract and apologise or just keep silent.

j

Old 04-15-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
man...no matter how much many people may disagree,and even tho i love drums more than most things in life,drums arent(unless in the hands of Terry Bozzio),and never will be Musical instruments...and that doesnt mean you cant have that certain 'Musicality' to your playing...theyre not about chords,or melodies,or harmonies,or notes...theyre percussion...

Sean
i never in my life thought i would hear that from a drummer. if drums weren't musical then no one would have toms and every drummers kit would sound the same. there are certain situations where drums aren't suited to be musical like in mainstream rock, but then there's situations where music would be boring if the drummer didnt play with different rhythms and sounds like in jazz and latin music. the actual definition of a harmony is two or more notes played simultaneously, so when you hit your snare and bass together you are creating harmony.

but you are right about the fine line between feeling and technique. if being passionate was all you needed to be good at something then everyone would be an artist. and if everyone is an artist then no one is.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Yes drums and cymbals are musical instruments da cheese walks. Muisc mainly consists of two things, melody and rhythm. The rhythm part is were the drums come in. Ever see a guitarist tapping his or her foot. They are counting out the beat or rhythm. The drums may not be a melocic insturment like a guitar or trumpet but they are still instruments. BTW I think roto toms and octos are pretty melodic.

I have only seen Meg in the Strips so I don't really know if she can play any other styles or not. The Stripes are a very simple band that doesn't require complicated or difficult drumming. She is perfect for that type of music. Could all of us play like that? yea probably but most of us would not look as good with long black hair.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Hmmmmm... sometimes I wonder.. would things be different if Meg White was a guy? I mean is it easier to find fault in her playing because she's a female drummer? I've seen a lot of guy drummers with really bad set ups and bad technique, but don't get bashed at, not as bad as this anyway...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
Hmmmmm... sometimes I wonder.. would things be different if Meg White was a guy? I mean is it easier to find fault in her playing because she's a female drummer? I've seen a lot of guy drummers with really bad set ups and bad technique, but don't get bashed at, not as bad as this anyway...
Quite the opposite, if it was a guy drummer in the White Stripes he'd be bashed more IMO. She's only on DW because she's female and everyone knows that whether they choose to admit it or not. If there was a male drummer listed on that front page who was identical to Meg White except for genetic makeup they'd get bashed to high heaven if listed at all.

/flame on
Old 04-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Two points:

1. Someone kindly refer me to the article or link in which Meg claimed she was the world's greatest drummer and technique expert. The way some of you are going on with the Meg bashing is comical. What are you really saying here? Are you just a tad bit envious over her success? So she can't play a paradiddle or keep the best time...so what.
She never claimed to be the best. If you're going to bash her, than you'll have to bash many others ahead of her including you know who from Liverpool.

2. As far as a "properly set up" drum kit go, what does that mean? The drumset is, in effect, an instrument slapped together through years of morphing consisting of other percussive instruments. It's endless arrangements make it the most "individual" instrument hands down. So does "properly set up" really equate to "like everyone else"?
Old 04-16-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Two points:

1. Someone kindly refer me to the article or link in which Meg claimed she was the world's greatest drummer and technique expert. The way some of you are going on with the Meg bashing is comical. What are you really saying here? Are you just a tad bit envious over her success? So she can't play a paradiddle or keep the best time...so what.
She never claimed to be the best. If you're going to bash her, than you'll have to bash many others ahead of her including you know who from Liverpool.

2. As far as a "properly set up" drum kit go, what does that mean? The drumset is, in effect, an instrument slapped together through years of morphing consisting of other percussive instruments. It's endless arrangements make it the most "individual" instrument hands down. So does "properly set up" really equate to "like everyone else"?
Best post in the whole thread.

I thought one of the rules around here was no artist bashing? Just a thought.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho

as to your first point i do agree with it actually. in a weird way meg gives all drummers hope. how so?
read here:
http://jasonhorsler.tripod.com/id35.html

j

Old 04-17-2007, 01:28 AM

I really think arguing about the angle of her rack tom is pointess. It works for her. I've seen other highly skilled drummers with their kits set up just like that. I dig her playing. Its works just fine for the 'stripes. I dont think Meg is too worried about technique. ;-) I think those cats are just out to make music, and they dont worry about technique, or precision, they just enjoy playing. I admire that. My two cents.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:39 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
it's not that there is a single proper way to set up drums but there is certainly improper ways. imagine a kit with the snare drum set up in front of the bass and the hi tom beneath the floor tom. this is an extreme idea but it illustrates the point. while meg's tom is playable it is not ergonomic, will disallow certain good techniques and will lead to increased wear on the head. do like her cymbal choices tho
I'm scratching my head at this. Why would Meg White care about ergonomics? Her whole playing approach and tone and, indeed, the entire approach of her band is based around a certain retro-primitive approach to playing, writing, recording... Now, when it comes to "good techniques" - they give you a certain sound. Listen to Vinnie or Weckl or Benny Greb to hear what the "certain good techniques" that ergonomics deliver sound like. Think that sound suits the White Stripes? I don't.

If you fixed all the things about the White Stripes that are "wrong" then nobody would buy their records, because they'd be dull. Meg White isn't a great drummer for many other bands, but she fits right in there. Sloppy timing, weird semi-beginner setups and Charlie Watts co-ordination fits the bill perfectly. Vinnie would fit as badly into that band as Meg would into Sting's band.

But in all honesty I'm wondering why you let it bother you so much. I mean, it's not like you've gone to study the "Right" way yourself, is it? Last time I heard you were still an advocate for not teaching music notation, no?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:11 AM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Last time I heard you were still an advocate for not teaching music notation, no?
funny. i never said that and i have a section on my website teaching music notation.

also i am an advocate of teaching young drummers to set up their kits properly at least in so far as the kit does not prevent their future development. i don't really care that much about meg white's set up but i would council any other drummer against such a set up. one gets the impression that meg doesn't really care if she progresses much but a drummer with less luck than her does not need the impediment to their progress that such a set up can bring. i'm surprised that you of all people cannot see that.

Quote:
I mean, it's not like you've gone to study the "Right" way yourself, is it?
this is the most ignorant thing i've ever seen you type and in spite of our differences over the years i have a great deal of respect for your knowledge of drumming even if you seem to have none for mine. i am continuing to study the right way. keep this thread on topic and don't resort to such personal attacks

Old 04-17-2007, 12:35 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

J, you need to be a bit less touchy. I wrote two rather long paragraphs about Meg White and then a short sly dig and you spent an entire post getting upset about the latter without even addressing the topic. I'm not trying to tear you down, I just don't understand why you're so riled about where she puts her toms.

What I meant about not going to study was just that - as I recall, you're entirely self-taught? That doesn't mean you don't strive to improve, but it does mean that you're probably not all that well-placed to be too severe a legit-method-book nazi. I'm sure I could find plenty of things wrong with your ergonomic and technical approach, just like I'm sure Jeff Almeyda can tear strips off mine. More one-on-one time with top-tier teachers will do that for you. That's not a judgment of merit, because non-legit methods can yield perfectly good individual musical results. The legit methods are just better for achieving certain classes of control, and if you need those types of control then you're going to need to learn them.

Which, back to the point, was exactly what I was saying about Meg. Where's the urge to fix her approach coming from? She's doing fine for herself without a Vinnie drum tone, better than either you or me when it comes to forging a career in music. What next? Are you going to fix up Mike Bourdin, Keith Carlock, Ari Hoenig and Kenny Wollensen? They've all got pretty funny tom angles and/or approaches to ergonomics too.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Administrator

fair enough finn. peace. i guess i was a bit touchy.

as a drum teacher it nearly always the first thing i find myself doing with a new student ... resetting their kit. more often than not it is because they don't know how to work the hardware (toms have been mounted upside down even).

my intentions on this thread were not so much a crit on meg but a vent at drum set ups that i feel don't help with progress. there's a whole article on it on my website.

actually my very first post was tongue in cheek and it was taken far out of context but i would be happy just to leave it now.

j

ps: being a mod and a poster is flippin hard sometimes

Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Oh my God...

sorry Finn, Meg - has a unorthodox setup to say the least. For that i love her. Hopefully she will not change anything. And never practice - like Buddy Rich. Yes, Buddy and Meg....that's the reason I run Drummerworld.

So this is the Great Meg White Thread, i'm wondering why you interrupt your recreative pause-time just for arguing with our just married Nutha? Bored?

Strange Strange...

Bernhard
Old 04-18-2007, 10:57 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
So this is the Great Meg White Thread, i'm wondering why you interrupt your recreative pause-time just for arguing with our just married Nutha? Bored?

Strange Strange...
I've been back occasionally for a while. I'm not posting like I used to, but I do dive in every now and again. Admittedly mostly in the Technique forum, and you don't see me in Drummers much.

And surely it's stranger that J's interrupting his just-marriedness to argue over Meg's tom angles? I could at least say I don't have anything better to be doing ;)

As for Meg, I'm arguing in her defense because of a few things I've been doing lately with drum setup. I learned everything the ergonomically correct way, but recently I've been doing things that are arguably a bit less "correct" and enjoying them because they put me in a space where my technique works better for the music I want to play. Horses for courses, and all that. Meg wants to sound like a drummer with no chops, so putting her toms in funny places is a pretty good way to achieve that. She can't really play, in the "Hey, that guy/girl can really play!" kind of a sense, but she's the right drummer for the White Stripes and it seems silly to bash her for it...
Old 05-15-2007, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Zambizzi: I listen to a hell of a lot of jazz,and play quite a lot too....Jazz has feeling...BUT it also has technicality....a beginner cant play jazz...Meg White couldnt play Elvin Jones stuff.....Budd Rich stuff...I listen to a lot of latin too,but play barely any....I also didnt say that technial ability makes your drumming more musical....The only reason i used Bozzio as an example is because,as Latin Groover said,he has basically a piano of drums....
Sean
Fair enough, it's your opinion and we're all entitled to our own. I wasn't trying to attack you personally. I just found it strange that a drummer wouldn't classify his instrument as a "real" instrument.

I wouldn't say it's an instrument either - I'd say it's several instruments played together as one. To take that even further, there is no limit to the way a drum kit can be played and the sounds it can make because there is no limit on how it can be configured, expanded, etc.

As for Meg White - here's my personal opinion. I like some of the White Stripes tunes and I have one of their CDs. I don't care for the drumming and the first thing I thought to myself when I first heard them on the radio was "damn, that's a cool tune...but it sounds like a 6 yr. old kid on the drums!".

However, she's a successful drummer despite her (apparent) lack of skill. Drums are an instrument anyone can enjoy and indeed, everyone should. If she's enjoying herself, performing and making albums, then more power to her.

Personally, I think a lot of Stripes music could have been done much better w/ a better band...the songs themselves are very good.

As for how her kit is setup, who the hell cares? She looks small and if that setup makes her comfortable then why would anyone else care what angle her mounted tom sits at? This strikes me as an odd comment - we all have our gear setup so we're comfortable. If you take 20 deg. off of the angle of her tom, she'll still sound like Meg White.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are.
stuff like getting across attitude, emotion, ego and personality are what make a drummer great -or any artist great, for that matter.
Well said! I totally agree.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:26 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: Meg White

FT: I I deleted your post, because this is the Meg White thread and not the discussion platform - place about language issues..

Bernhard
Old 05-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Being technically proficient on the drums doesn't make you a good drummer or a bad drummer ...it just makes you technically proficient. It's like determining how good a fiction writer is by how many words they know or how many grammar rules they can recite, or how good a painter is by how photo-realistic their paintings are.
stuff like getting across attitude, emotion, ego and personality are what make a drummer great -or any artist great, for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Well said! I totally agree.
so do i agree. the problem is the value of art can be so subjective and it really breaks down to taste.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Meg White

I think what we have got to respect about meg white is the fact that in The White Stripes, a very basic drum beat with no fills can sound so effective!