DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Default Roger Biwandu here...

Hi Guys,

Stoping by the GREATEST website in the world for saying hello, thanks Bernhard for having lauched this amazing tool, and also for having put my name in the "Watchlist", it's a real honor to see my name listed in "Drummerworld", so again thank you very much Bernhard.

I let a link, that the friends at HOD know already, where we can see me playing, I hope you Guys will like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yk7N4s55oQ

All right, see you around.

Cheers.

Rodge.
http://www.rogerbiwandu.com
http://www.myspace.com/rodgebiwandu

Last edited by Roger Biwandu; 12-03-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:25 AM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Default Re: Roger Biwandu here...

Welcome Rodge! I am still in Europe but its my last day. I went pretty crazy with traveling it was pretty much impossible to make it to Paris to hang. I cant wait to see you play bro and Hope all is well.
Your friend
PM
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hey Phil,

Thanks for your message Bro', I hope that all is well with you and that you had some fun in Europe.

I hope to see you soon, maybe at Namm but I'm not sure yet to going there, and I know that you're not so fan too so, maybe in NYC !!!

Warm hugs Bro'

Roger.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Hi Roger,

That's great to have some french drummer here ! that's great to have some drummers who speak french !!!!!

ou're a great inspiration for me ! I like your kind of playing !

I hope you play in Switzerland soon !

enjoy,
Matthieu
Old 12-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

I love you style man. You planning on coming to San Francisco any time soon?

www.myspace.com/booksteindrums
www.myspace.com/neverknowsbestisart
Old 12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hey Matthieu,

Thank you very much for your message, I'm glad you like my playing.

Take care.

Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbatmat View Post
Hi Roger,

That's great to have some french drummer here ! that's great to have some drummers who speak french !!!!!

ou're a great inspiration for me ! I like your kind of playing !

I hope you play in Switzerland soon !

enjoy,
Matthieu
Old 12-09-2006, 11:19 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hi Jazzsnob,

Thanks for your message man, I'm glad you love my paying.

I might be in SF next year with a great singer from Mali named Salif Keita.
I was in SF with him last summer at Yoshi's, and I was at SF Jazz Festival end of october with Zawinul Syndicate, what beautiful city !!!

All right Man, thanks.

Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsnob View Post
I love you style man. You planning on coming to San Francisco any time soon?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Senior Administrator

hi roger

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Senior Administrator

hi roger

sorry to load you up with questions when you get back on the forum but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hi Jason,

Thanks your message.

If I was young, I would jump on this new rudiment and eat it for being my own.
If this happened now, it's possible that I would not like to learn this new rudiment just because it's hip and that I have to do it for doing like everybody...
But in secret I would learn it anyway... :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
hi roger

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

My Top 10 no order :

1) Wynton Marsalis "Black Codes (From The Underground)"
This 5tet is just perfect, Branford, Kenny Kirkland (rip), Charnette Moffet, and "Tain" who gave a new drum standard to the jazz drumming, something between Elvin (rip) and Tony (rip), this album changed my life !!!

2) Weather Report "Hevay Weather"
The best band ever, Man, what album !!! Badrena, Jaco, Auna, and those genius Wayne and Joe with whom I play sometimes, a dream !!!

3) Allan Holdsworth "Secret"
My bible, Vinnie IS the Boss of the Boss for me, and I would pay for playing with the incredible Jimmy Johnson on bass, a genius with an incredible sens of rhythm.

4) Sting "Bring On The Night Live"
Wow, in my opinion the best band (Kenny Kirkland (rip), Branford Marsalis, Darryl Jones, Omare Hakim, Dolette McDonald and Janice Pendravis) Sting had and also his best album, it's this way that pop music should be !!!
Omar on the drums, he was a King pushing this band, so hip and funky, yeah !!!

5) Stevie Wonder "Song In The Key Of Life"
Nothing to add more than his name, and what a drummer !!!

6) Toto "Hydra"
Jeff (rip), one the reason why I'm drummer, and in this album he plays, in a song named "Mama", one of his best shuffle in my opinion !!!

7) The Police "Synchroniciy"
Another reason why I'm drummer, Stewart Copeland, I choose this album, but I could take any Police album, I just hear perfection with this band.

8) James Taylor "Hourglass"
Just so classy, I would kill for playing with James Taylor !!! The great Jimmy Johnson is on bass, the late Carlos Vega (rip) does an amazing job on drums and percussion.

9) Wayne Shorter "Speak No Evil"
Wayne is really a genius and one of my favorite composer, and here Elvin (rip) drive the band like only him can do it, classy.

10) Fishbone "Give A Monkey A Brain And He'll Swear He's The Center Of The Universe"
One of my favorite band, they can play any style and they do it incredibly well !!! Fish on drums is an alien and definitely one of my biggest influence too.

PS : quick note for saying that on my top 10, by the by, the great Branford Marsalis appears on four albums, (Sting, Wynton Marsalis, Fishbone, James Taylor), Jimmy Johnson on two (James Taylor & Allan Holdsworth), and Kenny Kirkland (rip) also on two (Wynton Marsalis & Sting).

Quote:
hi roger

sorry to load you up with questions when you get back on the forum but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Last edited by Roger Biwandu; 01-16-2007 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Administrator

thanks roger. that's a great list. i agree with some of them and want to go and buy them. others i already have. who was drumming on stings album (no4)? was it vinnie?
if so i love the work vinnie did in ten summers tale.
j

Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

De nada Jason, and yes what Vinnie did in "Ten Summoner's Tales", it's something indeed.
But here I'm talking of the great Omar Hakim who is really not joking around on "Bring On The night Live" !!! :D

Yeah !!!

Quote:
thanks roger. that's a great list. i agree with some of them and want to go and buy them. others i already have. who was drumming on stings album (no4)? was it vinnie?
j
Old 01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Biwandu View Post
3) Allan Holdsworth "Secret"
My bible, Vinnie IS the Boss of the Boss for me, and I would pay for playing with the incredible Jimmy Johnson on bass, a genius with an incredible sens of rhythm.
Not that's a great album. I have yet to hear such an advanced album in terms of chops and rhythm which moves me so much. On top of the terrifying musical mastery on display, it's just great music. Jimmy's bass solo on 54 Duncan Terrace is astounding. I've never heard a bass solo like it. I also think it's the best thing Vinnie's ever recorded. Good call, Roger!

James Taylor's Hourglass is also a favourite of mine. Carlos was such a beautiful drummer. That huge, boomy tom fill in Gaia - man!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

RODGE!

I signed up at Drummerworld to say..

I Love your playing.

Thanks for the inspiration brother.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Yo Steve !!!

Come on Man, thanks for your message Bro', this kind of compliment from monster player like you is ALWAYS appreciated !!!

Please, can I borrow you your incredible tecnicals skills please ? :-)
Seriously !!!

Anyway, take care and I hope to meet you end of april with Derek in LA.

Thanks again for sweet message.

Rodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
RODGE!

I signed up at Drummerworld to say..

I Love your playing.

Thanks for the inspiration brother.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Vous-etes francais? Je suis American mais Je prends Francais dans l'ecole....Je regrette si mon francais n'est pas tres bien.
Anyways (Je ne sais pas le francais equivalent) Bienvenue aux Drummerworld!

Translation:
You are French? I am American but I take French in school...I am sorry if my French isn't very good.
Anyways (I don't know the French equivalent) Welcome to Drummerwold.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 04-11-2007, 10:30 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hello Drummerchick,

Your french is PERFECT !!!

Thanks for wishing me a welcome to Drummerworld.

Have fun and see you around.

PS : "anyway" in french is "peu importe" or "bref"

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Vous-etes francais? Je suis American mais Je prends Francais dans l'ecole....Je regrette si mon francais n'est pas tres bien.
Anyways (Je ne sais pas le francais equivalent) Bienvenue aux Drummerworld!

Translation:
You are French? I am American but I take French in school...I am sorry if my French isn't very good.
Anyways (I don't know the French equivalent) Welcome to Drummerwold.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Roger:

Thank you so much for contributing to this forum. Your resume and humility speaks volumes about your abiity as a player and your character as a person. I wanted to say how much I appreciated yout top ten: great drummers, great performances and every one within a great song. There is no song you chose which has not been made better by a very special and musical drum performance. That is what we should all strive for.

We are privileged to have you around.

Paul
Old 04-11-2007, 11:35 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Wow Paul, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your so nice words about me, Man, really, thank you very much, I don't know stronger words for saying how I apreciate your support.

You know, it's all about music and being humble for me, I think that we just have to be sincere and let the things come...

Anyway, thank you Paul, and take care.

Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Quin View Post
Roger:

Thank you so much for contributing to this forum. Your resume and humility speaks volumes about your abiity as a player and your character as a person. I wanted to say how much I appreciated yout top ten: great drummers, great performances and every one within a great song. There is no song you chose which has not been made better by a very special and musical drum performance. That is what we should all strive for.

We are privileged to have you around.

Paul
Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
j
Yes, Vinnie Colaiuta played on "Ten Summoner's Tales". Omar Hakim played on both "Dreaming of the Blue Turtles" (sting's first solo) album & "Bring on the Night" album/video. Manu Katche played on a lot of Sting's solo work as well.

Roger, welcome to Drummerworld! This is a great place to be!

birch
Old 04-11-2007, 11:58 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178 View Post
Roger, welcome to Drummerworld! This is a great place to be!
Thanks for your welcome message cjl, I know that Drummerworld is a great place to be, that's why I'm here Man :-) , thanks again.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello Drummerchick,

Your french is PERFECT !!!

Thanks for wishing me a welcome to Drummerworld.

Have fun and see you around.

PS : "anyway" in french is "peu importe" or "bref"
Salut. Merci, J'ai besoin de practice ma francais parce que J'ai un grand francais examen! il y a un possiblite que J'allez aux France en le future...mais pas tres bientot.

Literal Translation:
Hi! Thanks, I have need of practicing my french because I have a big french exam! There is a possibility that I will come to France in the future but not too soon.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 04-14-2007, 12:53 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Sure that the best way to be better in french is to come here, and you are good already so it will be not too difficult for you.

Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Salut. Merci, J'ai besoin de practice ma francais parce que J'ai un grand francais examen! il y a un possiblite que J'allez aux France en le future...mais pas tres bientot.

Literal Translation:
Hi! Thanks, I have need of practicing my french because I have a big french exam! There is a possibility that I will come to France in the future but not too soon.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:36 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Old buddy!! Whats uupp!! I am in Koln germany! Where are you?? Maybe i can go visit you?? i have a couple of days off...and a car:-O!!! hahaha

Lets hang one day! I am here for one more week!
PM
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hey Phil Bro' !!!

Thanks for your message.

I'm leaving France tomorrow, going to the USA...
Unlucky we are !!!

GREAT video from Frankfurt, nice Man.

Take care Bro' and have fun !!!

Rodge.
PS : Hardy Fischoetter, a good friend of mine and AWESOME drummer is from Koln, you should try to contact him, he's a sweet cat and REALLY an amazing drummer. http://www.myspace.com/dadrummerhardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maturano View Post
Old buddy!! Whats uupp!! I am in Koln germany! Where are you?? Maybe i can go visit you?? i have a couple of days off...and a car:-O!!! hahaha

Lets hang one day! I am here for one more week!
PM
Old 04-15-2007, 09:46 PM

Hi Roger,

Great videos...Great music!

I envy you for your ability to perform with such talented musicians. I also envy your clean, speedy left hand! :-)

I particularly enjoyed the Un Jour Ailleurs video. Great 3/4 groove.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:19 PM
DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Hey Phil Bro' !!!

Thanks for your message.

I'm leaving France tomorrow, going to the USA...
Unlucky we are !!!

GREAT video from Frankfurt, nice Man.

Take care Bro' and have fun !!!

Rodge.
PS : Hardy Fischoetter, a good friend of mine and AWESOME drummer is from Koln, you should try to contact him, he's a sweet cat and REALLY an amazing drummer. http://www.myspace.com/dadrummerhardy
What a drag bro!!! We keep missing each other! Cant believe it.
Heeeeyy thank you for the nice words man. Coming from you....i will take that compliment with much gratitude:-)

Sure I know Hardy. i was just talking about him with another real good jazz drummer out here. Hendrik Schmok?? I cant spell his last name , but thats what it sounds like. ...you know him? Not too many jazz drummers out here. He is a good one!

Where will you be in the US? NY??
P
Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hey Rockinrider,

Man, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your great compliments on my drumming, thanks !!!
You know, my left hand doesn't do what I would like, I hear things, but my technical is very limited, but thanks Man.

Take care and see you around.

Roger.
PS : left hand, see Vinnie, "Tain" and Buddy Rich for exemple, that's the real deal !!! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrider View Post
Hi Roger,

Great videos...Great music!

I envy you for your ability to perform with such talented musicians. I also envy your clean, speedy left hand! :-)

I particularly enjoyed the Un Jour Ailleurs video. Great 3/4 groove.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Maturano View Post
What a drag bro!!! We keep missing each other! Cant believe it.
Heeeeyy thank you for the nice words man. Coming from you....i will take that compliment with much gratitude:-)

Sure I know Hardy. i was just talking about him with another real good jazz drummer out here. Hendrik Schmok?? I cant spell his last name , but thats what it sounds like. ...you know him? Not too many jazz drummers out here. He is a good one!

Where will you be in the US? NY??
P
Yeah great stuff you did at Musik Messe, I like when you ask to the audience to clap the hands while you playing some great latin stuff, that's is the music for me.

You know Hardy, GREAT !!!

I'll be in NYC april 19th, then Princeton/NJ the 20th, Chicago 17th and 18th, Canada, Boston then west coast...

Back home May 1st.

All right, take care Bro' and have fun, I'm sur you will.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:14 AM

Dear Rodge,

Just drop to say hi and that I also enjoy your drumming a lot, I hope to see you sometime here in Germany.

Also hi to Phil Maturano, excellent drummer too. (Phil, I've seen Hendrik several times and he plays wonderful, for sure.)

Best regards

Alex Sanguinetti (Munich, Germany)
http://www.alexsanguinetti.com

Last edited by Alex Sanguinetti; 04-30-2007 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
Dear Rodge,

Just drop to say hi and that I also enjoy your drumming a lot, I hope to see you sometime here in Germany.

Also hi to Phil Maturano, excellent drummer too. (Phil, I've seen Hendrik several times and he plays wonderful, for sure.)

Best regards

Hey Alex my friend,

Thanks for stoping around, and thanks for your message.

Yeah I hope that we'll meet eatch other very soon.

Take care and see you around.

Rodge.
PS : tomorrow I should have a nice hang with Jojo, Calhoun, wim De Vries, it sould be fun here in my town !!!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 PM

Roger, I have a question for you, Who is, in your opinion, the best drummer ever? You may be very good but you are not allowed to say yourself.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:35 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo View Post
Roger, I have a question for you, Who is, in your opinion, the best drummer ever? You may be very good but you are not allowed to say yourself.
Ahaahahahaahaa, you make me laugh here Vinnysimmo !!! :-)
Thanks for your message.

In my humble opinion I would say that Vinnie is the Man, no contest, he's the Man.

Take care.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:53 AM

Dear Rodge,

I hope you had a great hang with the guys.

Best regards,

Old 05-15-2007, 09:31 AM

I saw Rodge play with Joe Zawinul in November - you were fantastic! Let me know the next time you're in LA, Rodge.

Take care,

Kelly :)
Old 05-15-2007, 12:50 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sanguinetti View Post
Dear Rodge,

I hope you had a great hang with the guys.

Best regards,

Hey Alex,

Yeah, I had some great fun with the Guys !!!

Jojo Man, this Guy is REALLY one of the best cat around, I mean not only the INCREDIBLE musician that he is, but he's just a great Human Being, I like him a lot !!!

His DVD is coming soon, I saw some clips, it's just WOW !!!!!
And the CD of his band Nerve is coming too, Man, this Guy is KILLING !!!

All right Alex, thanks for your message Bro'.

Rodge.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradydrums View Post
I saw Rodge play with Joe Zawinul in November - you were fantastic! Let me know the next time you're in LA, Rodge.

Take care,

Kelly :)
Hey gorgeous Kelly,

Thanks for your sweet message, it's great to hear from you !!!

I was in Adelaide and Sydney last april, it was great, specialy Sydney, yeah.

All right, thanks again for your message, take care and see you soon.

Rodge.
PS : you love red wine and food, you have to come to Bordeaux Kelly !!!
Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 AM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Rodge your great and all you need to start playing matched grip.

Sincerely,

Big haired metal 80's drummer.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hey Steve Bro' !!!

Mouahahahhhaahhahaaa, you know what, I'll play match grip if yourself you do it, what do you think ? ahahaaaahhaahahhaaaa !!!

I think that I have some years of trad grip in front of me... :-)

Thanks for your message you Killer Drummer From NJ But Living In LA !!! :-)