DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Default Fiber skins and such like

Has anyone got dealing with this type of head, and what there limitations are.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Fiber skins and such like

I have fiberskyns on both sides of my kick and really like them for that application. I had them on my toms and found them to be almost too dead. The fiberskyn powerstroke snare head is great for brushes, but I had to tune it very high and didn't really dig it as much for playing with sticks.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

I use Fiberskyns, which are thicker, to control overtones as that is a particular problem with my drums. Fiberskyns are designed to replicate the mellower sound of actual hide. Fiberskyns come in FD (Diplomat weight), FA (Ambassador weight) and FE (Emperor weight). I use FAs.

They basically get one of those heads and bond plastic fibers to it. The fibers replicate the look, feel and behavior of actual protein fibers in real hide. All the benefits of hide with none of the drawbacks. I'm sure Evans, Aquarian, etc. etc. make an equivalent product but I've always like Fiberskyns. They're also very striking in appearance. I use coated Ambassadors for resonants.

I play world fusion. You could probably use them for rock but I'd think a Pinstripe or Emperor or other manufacturer's equivalent would give you a more traditional rock sound. Fiberskyn sounds like real live (dead?) hide and that sound may be too mellow for rock.

They cost the same as other heads but are somewhat less durable, particularly under heavy hitting. The fibers start coming apart - again, much like a real animal hide. I get years out of them but I play with light sticks and use technique, not force, to get volume.

I also find the appearance of Fiberskyns complements my shells. My drums have a primitive quality to them and the look of hide goes well with that.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Pro Drummer

I also like it for brushes'''''
It will last a very long time////
Butch Axsmith
Old 04-11-2007, 07:52 PM

The terminology used by Remo is confusing. The Fiberskyn comes in Thin, Diplomat, Ambassador, and Powerstroke 3. Then the Powerstroke 3 comes in Diplomat or Ambassador. On top of that, there are Powerstroke 3s and 4s that are not Fiberskyn.

I am thinking about getting a Fiberskyn for my 14 x 20 bass, which is used for jazz. Some posts here have mentioned using a Powerstroke 3. So now I'm not sure what the Powerstroke is, or how it is different from other heads such as a coated Ambassador.

Could someone unravel this, please?
Old 04-12-2007, 12:59 AM

I have tryed fibreskyns over the years, and have mixed feelings,,sometimes i can't seem to get good tuning, and othertimes in the right place they sound great. I found renaissance heads to be far better, and have a calf quality. more poing in them, and good brush resonse. I would gravitate to those way before the fibre's. I haven't tryed the diplomats though?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHippy View Post
I am thinking about getting a Fiberskyn for my 14 x 20 bass, which is used for jazz. Some posts here have mentioned using a Powerstroke 3. So now I'm not sure what the Powerstroke is, or how it is different from other heads such as a coated Ambassador.

Could someone unravel this, please?
Powerstroke refers to remo heads that have an extra layer of mylar around the edge of the underside, which rests on the bearing edge. This is supposed to decrease overtones while still maintaining the attack and feel of the single-ply head (except for the Powerstroke 4, which is a double-ply head with the extra ring). The fiberskyn bass heads that I have are labeled Fiberskyn 3 FA Bass (FA, I believe, stands for Fiberskyn Ambassador; and the diplomat weight heads are labeled FD). I'm pretty sure that they do have the inner mylar ring, like the powerstroke heads, but are not labeled as such.

So, to sum it up:

Ambassador/Diplomat - refers to thickness of head, without coating applied
Fiberskyn - refers to the specific fibrous-appearing simulated caflskin coating
Powerstroke - refers to the ring of mylar around the inner underside edge
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Fiberskyns are fun to have. They are a very unique type of head certainly. I'm curious to hear how they would be on basses and resonant sides of toms. Aquarian Modern Vintage heads are a nice alternative though. They give a sound similar to fiberskyns but are like coated heads. They are sort of in between Remo Rennaissance and Fiberskyn heads. The bass heads come with felt strips too. They come in medium and thin weights as well. I've got one on my maple snare and it's been great considering how much I play on it. Finally you can have a coated head without the plastic feel. Just something to look for if you aren't into the whole peely Fiberskyn thing.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM

I have a 20" Fiberskyn Powerstroke-3 and like how it thickens the sound.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:38 PM

I use fiberskyns on my toms for jazz. I tune them up high and they sound great! I would definitely recommend them.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:34 AM

I just put a Fiberskyn Ambassador on my snare. I really love it. It's ideal for brush work.