DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-10-2007, 07:25 AM

Default Which brand of speaker?

hey guys my church is looking to get a new sound system (in a while)and we are not sure of which brand to go to. we have a budget of course so nothing too expensive. We want good clarity since we have a fair amount of echo (im doin my reading to work that out). Im thinking of tweeters, mid, and subwoofer set up not a full range setup since we need the clarity. My church is large, about 550-600 capacity but have about 100 member. Just tell me which brand has worked for youand give me a short review.
thanks guys!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Which brand of speaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_a_guzman View Post
hey guys my church is looking to get a new sound system (in a while)and we are not sure of which brand to go to. we have a budget of course so nothing too expensive. We want good clarity since we have a fair amount of echo (im doin my reading to work that out). Im thinking of tweeters, mid, and subwoofer set up not a full range setup since we need the clarity. My church is large, about 550-600 capacity but have about 100 member. Just tell me which brand has worked for youand give me a short review.
thanks guys!!!!!!
i have personal experience with Yamaha and JBL. I like both but tend to go for the JBL. The sound is clear and pleasant. The subs are thunderous when needed but very musicial. The only downfall of them is that they are expensive and very power hungry, so you had better throw a lot of wattage to them. The Yamaha's are good but I only like their top lines. They cheaper stuff sounds like crap (at least what I have heard of it). Their expensive stuff is in line with JBL -- so I would tend to stick with JBL.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM

For speakers... I would definately go for Mackie or JBL... but the old penchant is true, you get what you pay for.

For mixers.. i find yamaha's high lines are somewhat affordable, as well as being packed with features.

JBL's subwoofers are fantastic... I have two in my car!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

Well Peavey isn't bad at all. I use them for stage monitors and they sound great. They too require a good amount of power so its almost necessary to buy an amp or two with them. I really don't have much experience with JBL or Mackie. I would say they don't sound bad from what elvis said.

Peace
AGR
Old 04-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Well I have worked with JBL, Mackie, Peavey. There all good stuff... In the biz, JBL kinda has a rap.... "Junk But Loud" They make great stuff at the high end. But the low end is just not as good as it used to be.. Mackie has some great stuff. The powered line is pretty good.. And they have lots of different ways to hang em. Peavey, I just dont think is as good as it used to be. In the last few months we have been changing stuff on our higher end systems.. Im serious, Take a look at TurboSound.. They are doing some pretty great stuff on both thier lower end as well in the mid price range and the high end line.

Mike
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

in agreement with mr pearlplayer about turbosound, they make some cracking speaker cabs, and their subs really punch, but again for anything of a decent size the price starts rising.

with my current band, we have our own system that we have built up over the last year, using Class-D speakers, we have been very happy with the performance of them, and they just keep pumping check out http://www.class-d.com/ not sure if you can get them state side yet but worth checking out.

Speakers are only half of the story though, it's pointless having great speakers if your amps are cheap, that would be where the bulk of your budget should be spent in my opinion, and when buying amps, make sure your amps out power your speakers, you'll do less damage to your speakers by running a more powerful amp at half-two thirds volume, than an amp with matching power rating flat out, as a clipping amp sends DC current through to the speakers which they really don't like. some speakers actually come to life when you push them.

As far as amps are concerned, I would recommend either crest or crown power amps, we use crest, but the crowns are of a higher standard.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay.B. View Post
in agreement with mr pearlplayer about turbosound, they make some cracking speaker cabs, and their subs really punch, but again for anything of a decent size the price starts rising.

with my current band, we have our own system that we have built up over the last year, using Class-D speakers, we have been very happy with the performance of them, and they just keep pumping check out http://www.class-d.com/ not sure if you can get them state side yet but worth checking out.

Speakers are only half of the story though, it's pointless having great speakers if your amps are cheap, that would be where the bulk of your budget should be spent in my opinion, and when buying amps, make sure your amps out power your speakers, you'll do less damage to your speakers by running a more powerful amp at half-two thirds volume, than an amp with matching power rating flat out, as a clipping amp sends DC current through to the speakers which they really don't like. some speakers actually come to life when you push them.

As far as amps are concerned, I would recommend either crest or crown power amps, we use crest, but the crowns are of a higher standard.
Yes i know but i was concerned more about the speakers at the moment. I also was thinking about a crown amp. Im sorta new to all this though. Like i said we are thinking of a three way setup ( High, Mid, and Woofer) which speaker should we use for the highs in our church (what size, and should they be 2 way speakers?)? Should i mix it up and have certain brand for the highs, mids and lows? Active or passive? Ive beenreading a bit online but its just some of the basics i believe.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:17 PM

For a 500 person church you really don't need to have separate speakers for highs and mids... just a little overkill in my opinion (Sorry I've been a music/youth minister in small churches in the past so I guess I'm always thinking best ways to save a little money if I can without sacrificing quality). I'm a big fan of Yamaha's Club series, I think they make some really good speakers especially for the price. I'd prob go with two 15" Speaker with Horn for your Mid/Highs and then a sub on each side. I'd prob stick with one brand all the way through because you could probably get a discount on it.

Though I guess a lot of it requires what your running through it. Are you running a piano, choir, and some mics? A full heavy metal band every morning? Contemporary Christian group? Different applications will require a bit different implementations.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
For a 500 person church you really don't need to have separate speakers for highs and mids... just a little overkill in my opinion (Sorry I've been a music/youth minister in small churches in the past so I guess I'm always thinking best ways to save a little money if I can without sacrificing quality). I'm a big fan of Yamaha's Club series, I think they make some really good speakers especially for the price. I'd prob go with two 15" Speaker with Horn for your Mid/Highs and then a sub on each side. I'd prob stick with one brand all the way through because you could probably get a discount on it.

Though I guess a lot of it requires what your running through it. Are you running a piano, choir, and some mics? A full heavy metal band every morning? Contemporary Christian group? Different applications will require a bit different implementations.
Well we are spanish church and we playdifferent styles of music from spanish rock to latin songo. We have piano, bass, guitar and eventually we are going to mic up the drums. From what i've heard the mics(SINGERS) and the instuments should have separate amps for better performance and clarity. Is this true?