DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 10-09-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Lars Ulrich

the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg
the drums also sound HORRID in the "some kind of monster" video.fascinating movie from the soap opera type goings on with the band.but it seemed to me that lars might have lost some confidence in his ability. the scene where the old bass player for metallica put together a band and lars went to see him,that drummer was pretty polished. perhaps they are just running out of ideas for their songs.
I think the same! They've been going how many years now? I think I can forgive them for getting a little writer's block after all this time.

Didn't they do St Anger by just cutting/pasting loads of riffs they'd jammed out in ProTools?
Old 10-09-2006, 06:59 AM

i don't find nothing special about lars drumming. pretty straight forward stuff...just at random times. i also heard that some of his double bass on recordings..are really him hittin a electronic kit bass drum wit drum sticks..is that true?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:47 PM

don't know about how they record,but my nephew was a HUGE metallica fan (who also plays some bass) and has seen them numerous times and has said lars can be really sloppy sometimes live.maybe it's too much beer.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:21 AM

[quote=METAL_DRUMMER][quote=Breadmonkey]I really dislike him for several reasons:

1) His objection to Napster and similar file sharing programs. If it wasn't for tape swapping in the eighties no-one would ever have heard of metallica, so in my opinion biting the hand that feeds you.

2) Sure, if you like their style the drums sound great...... after thirty takes. He cannot deliver the goods in a live situation as he does not have the technical ability to play his own stuff outside of a studio without having plenty of time to get it right.

3) I know people have admitted that he is not the most technical drummer in the world. Its entirely his fault he doesn't get much respect anymore from the drumming community. If he didn't let his ego grow into the out of control monster it has become he would say to himself "hang on i need to work on my technique so i can play better", but no he doesn't do this. So when it comes to show time, instead of playing what you hear on the albums, nice, even, properly done double bass work, you get him just hitting the double bass pedal as fast as he can, which some may say is rockin and intense but its not, it shows lack of control and ability and shows him up for the fraud he is.

4) while i found the black album to be very interesting and inventive, none of the other albums really blew me away, again his ego telling him that he doesn't need to try because he's lars ulrich.

****** END OF RANT*********
Quote:
he may have an ego but it does mean he is a bad drummer, remember in the 80s most drummers didnt even play double bass, but he did, most drummers had a big ass kit just to play super easy drum beats(KISS drummer) that proves lars is a kickass drummer
I agree with you on the ego side of things.

But the way you acuse him for a live performance is a little over the top. Can you please give me some examples....?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:12 PM

i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun
Old 10-11-2006, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevyc
i dont mind him.. imo his stuff is easy to play so for me playing his stuff is actually really fun
Thats how i feel, his stuff is just so easy to play. I feel like im doing something wrong. I guess he is just solid and plays for the music.

I do prefur playing his older stuff with metallica like puppets, creeping death ect..

I can relate to what your saying though i used to play a lot of metallica when i started.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 AM

Lars will always be in my list. He is so simple its not even funny. Like on One, or Call of Kutulu, its simple, but it just sounds hard. Also, he's just a rock solid drummer, and really puts power into what he does. Keep it.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Before you people eat me alive let me just say that he has greet foot work and his amazing at accents. With that out of the way, the only reason he has so much credit in the world of drums or rock n roll is because he's in the biggest metal ever to come out of the U.S.A,Metallica. Him and Tommy Lee of Motley Crue deserve each other because they both lack creativity and rely a bit to much on that double pedal but whatever. Now if you people don't mind, and you probably don't, I'm gonna go to my local Home Depot and buy the Lars Ulrich snare drum they have in stock,the trash can. Old Metallica,I miss you.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM

mhm when I started playing drums I used to play like Lars Ulrich because I did not know much about other drummers. But after a while I recognized that there are better drummers like Jason Bittner or Chris Adler...He's just one of the popular drummers of the world.
But his setup is great.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:32 AM

I think he really lacks creativity. Yeah he is solid, but that is because he practically plays the same standard beat for every song adding a new snare fill every now and then. It just gets boring.

I dont know about the person who said he rely's on double kicks, he rarely does them at all. And when he does, they are usually turned right down, as aposed to many other metal bands.

He is solid, but nothing special
Old 04-04-2007, 04:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avgd-i9QGU

don't really have to say much..just watch his solo. He sucks compaired to sucessful metal drummers, I mean dam! he doesn't even know how to setup his kit correctly lol
Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM

He plays that as a solo because it allows him and James to have there competition. James hasn't actively played drums in 20 years by then. So he is playing down. Plus the part where James isn't playing he is just playing samples of songs for the fans.

Seriously just because he said pirating is wrong dosen't make him a douche, he is right. With that said i have never purchased any of there cd's only downloaded them but i still agree with him.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48 PM

I am a big fan of Lars and he has inspired me from the beginning however I think that most people don't realize that it was Bob Rock that started Metallica's downfall. He produced the black album through St. Anger and basically took them from a band that loved jamming out thrash to a band that does whatever Bob Rock thinks sounds the best. Am I saying that I don't like the black album? No, I love it but I can see how that album would have made Metallica think that they are weaker without a producer named Bob to tell them what to play.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:04 AM
Pioneer Member

I know many bash Lars because "hes not as good as x drummer", but he really DID play for the song. Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, ONE, and Justice for all... all great, great songs that might not be as great if they were too overly complex. His parts were straightforward, but so was the music he played to. it was meant to be in your face.

Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?
Old 04-05-2007, 04:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post

Im disappointed with his newer stuff though. His drums sound SOO good in the older recordings but SOOOO bad in the newer ones. Old Metallica, where art thou?
I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:43 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
I agree...hopefully Rick Rubin will change that on the new record. I truely do not have much hope for the new album but hopefully it will be worth listening to. I do think Lars jams overall.... the early stuff is awesome.
For real. ...And Justice for All/ Master of Puppets have been on constant repeat on my mp3 player for the past week. One may be one of the best songs ever...its got everything to it. I love it.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 AM

i look up to Lars, but i just think he is a little overrated
Old 04-06-2007, 11:53 AM

lars.... he is an ok drummer. when compared to the rest of the band members he is a little less talented but its all good. anyone heard anything off the new album yet ? hopfully it wont suck. Iv heard its suposed to sound like the 80's stuff. but im tryin not to get my hopes up
Old 04-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

lars doesn't have EXTREME skill like portnoy, but he can really lay down a heavy metal beat that will really get your head moving

theres nothing more entertaining than a live MASTER OF PUPPETS show in the 80's

ahhhh i wish i could be there

Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 PM

Have non of you herd New Song or Other New Song yet. They respectively match ... And Justice for All and Kill ' EM All. In both complexity , speed and length of song. Very thrash metal, not the polished pro-tools stuff of the last decade.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:47 PM

From what i've heard of his playing, I think he's rather over-rated. I mean, come on, the drums on enter sandman are pathetic. I thought Phil Rudd was a guest drummer on that track :D.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:01 AM

He is over rated. His drumming is just so simple.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:50 AM

can't agree more with the last few comments. Simple isn't necessarily bad, but he plays the same thing in every song!!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:26 PM

You .... you mean Lars keeps the beat he dosen't play for personal glory he wants the song to be complete. Most of the time he uses his double bass pedals to help keep time for James often extremely awkward rhythm guitar parts or kirks timing changes on the bride. He plays for the song he isn't like new metal drummers that just hammer on the drums so fast and have so many beats that they can't possible be out of time. James put it best " I'm used to the drummer keeping the beat" with that said the only people who are better or as good in my book are Nick Menza , Dave Lombard , Ian Paice , John Bonham.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:12 AM

You know, honestly I can say Lars was a big insperation to me growing up. Metallica's music I love, and will continue to support them, even though I may not like everything they have put out over the recent years... But back to Lars...
Lars is good for the music they put out... All the songs Metallica put out, along with Lars drumming really go hand in hand together...
Anyone who thinks Metallica is more than a hardcore rock band, that actually has good music, melodies, is wrong.... The are a great band, great music, and all the drum, bass, guitar parts are fit together... I dont think if Lars played anything more than what he did that it would sound better...
ALTHOUGH, the one thing with Lars is that I never liked the fact he took so many fills, and did them in the weirdest parts in the song.
If you listen to the S&M album, you will see what I mean...
His drum sound, you can spot a mile away, which is cool because every drummer is looking for that signature sound.

On the black album, I saw a video on youtube, they interviewed Bob Rock and Lars regarding his drumming and sound from the album. And well believe it or not it was all cut and paste... Meaning Lars would play, play, and play, then they took the best parts and edited in a way that just sounded like it did...
Its really no surprise because now that I do session work, a lot of producers do that. At first I was a little taken back because as a drummer, personally, I feel it should just be a solid performance behind the kit and just use that take, but not cut, paste, loop, and do it all over again... But it happens, alot more than before.

anyways,
Lars still rules!
Old 09-08-2007, 02:52 PM

lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny
Old 09-08-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Beholder View Post
lars is a good drummer. maybe he's not too great when it comes to technique but he certainly gets the song going and he even shows off occasionally. buy anyway, did anybody notice the mistake in Dyers eve? that was funny
Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????
Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I think Lars is a pretty good drummer in my opinion. I really liked his drumming on .....And Justice for All and Black. It was funny watching him get mad on the Some Kind of Monster DVD when they threw a surprise birthday party for Kirk but never one for Lars.

And yes, Lars plays on Tama, where did you hear he played Gretsch? Never heard that one before.

He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
He played a Gretsch kit for the recording of the Black album if I remember correctly.
I also have to say that he was on of my first drum heros (along with Phil Collins and Nicko McBrain....what a mix!!) and Justice has incredible drums on it....for me, easily his best performance on record.....I also may be one of the few that actually likes the production on that record....it fits the mood I think.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:57 AM

Location: Getting ready to move to Spokane, WA.Born in California live in Washington State

Lars has come a long way with his drumming. I have some practice tapes from the 80's of them and he really was sloppy and they had to speed up the drum track to make him sound faster in the mix. As for his personality, well not everyone gets along, that's life.
Pinner
Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumGod View Post
Is the mistake when he is usually playing 16ths on tthe kick at that part in the verse/chorus (whichever it is) and the re is no kickdrum then it just starts like he forgot to do it????

I have never picked out a mistake on Dyers Eve.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumGod View Post
yeah that part. he actually starts with wrong pattern then he corrects himself.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM

lars is not a 'monster' player like the Mike Portnoys and Terry Bozzios of the world BUT he is still a good drummer.
yes he doesnt play the most complicated grooves or fills but he serves the song and i think he and metallica go hand in hand. i cant think of someone to replace him.
i saw a video of metallica with joey jourdison from slipknot filling in and it just didnt sound right, not at all!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of the Beholder View Post
yeah that part. he actually starts with wrong pattern then he corrects himself.
Hahaha i knew it was a mistake hahaha
Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM

I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-10-2007 at 09:59 PM. Reason: innapropriate language
Old 10-10-2007, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappafan View Post
I've perused the responses here and some I agree with, some not....go figure. :)

Nutha - if Metallica has been scrabbling for success since the Black Album, as you put it, I think we all wish we could be doin' that scrabblin' what with selling out stadiums in minutes and selling zillions of albums. I don't understand that comment.

For others who say his playing has diminished, in your opinions it has. I am a fan of all albums up to and including the Black Album. The rest to me aren't very good. Ride the Lightning is far and away the best album imo.

From a technical standpoint, I don't know either way how he is as I am not that good of a drummer to say he isn't technical. Many people here on this forum are technique crazy to the point where it is tiring to hear over and over again. In helping amateurs such as myself, the info is great.i.e. stick grip, hand positioning etc.

It seems funny to point out these flaws (seemingly especially to Ulrich) to a dude who is in such a popular band. I understand there is some jealousy among many members who feel they are far superior to him in drumming skills. Just go with it dudes. He's a rock star and you (and me ain't). He's a zillionaire and we aren't. He plays stadiums, we don't. Not that he needs me to defend him, 'cause I'm sure he couldn't care less about this forum, but lighten up.

If they "sold out" with the Black Album, that's their business (and quite a succesful business it is). There seems to be a problem when musicians make money. Why is that?? Does everyone here work for free??

In closing, I'd like to say that I enjoy his drumming and if I get to the point where I can criticize any major star's technique or ability (and actually be serious about it), I'd better put down the sticks and play euchre.

My .02.

Cheers.
Diplomatic as ever ZF!! I like Lars; hes passionate and, as previously stated, what he does is ideal for Metallica. Is he the best technical drummer on the planet? Possibly not, but he's made a lotta ppl happy with his work and thats gotta count for something.

Last edited by DogBreath; 10-10-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Lars was getting better and better as time went on...reaching his best with And Justice For All...but then he hit The Black Album and he's one of the most typical sounding drummers in the world.

To his credit he must still have a tallent for writing songs since he gets writing credit on every Metallica song.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappafan View Post
Hey ZF. The thing I don't get is... how can people say Metallica are "selling out" when they are not members of Metallica? See my point? Metallica plays what Metallica wants to play. How is that selling out? Those are pretty immature and uneducated opinons on the part of those making the comments.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM

"selling out" is quick said, some people say Metallica are selling out, Trivium are selling out, they are selling out and they are selling out too ... As for myself, I don´t give a damn, at least the music kicks.

Don´t get me wrong, I kinda understand people when they´re upset about this selling out thing ... Their favorite Thrash band goes in a more commercial way to earn some money, nothings wrong bout that. Look at Machine Head for example, began with that killer album Burn my Eyes, and after The More Things Change they tried to earn some money, by trying playing their music with a more commercial touch and a radio single ... and they failed, big time. With Through the Ashes of Empires they had an awesome thrash "comeback" and with their new album The Blackening, they´re having their biggest succsess on EVERYTHING, record sales, sold out major tours, including supporting Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc. ... and they´re not selling out, cause this record is their heaviest in their career.

I hope you guys will know what I´m trying to tell you here ... ;-)