DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-03-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Chad Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
It's kinda scary really!!
I think it is hilarious!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:11 PM

Watching the Grammys (reluctantly - as is one of the cheesiest shows ever!) and as the Dixie Chicks came on and started playing I heard a familiar sound. Chad Smith on drums.

This is news to me. Obviously something to do with Rick Rubin producing their new album. It was still a terrible song though. Chad can only do so much.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:42 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerson View Post
chad smith is the most UNFUNKIEST drummer ive heard ... if youre looking for great funk drummers listen to the drummers for sly and the family stone, PFunk, and what about david garibaldi
Man come on...Chad plays a whole lot different to Pfunk,Parliament,and Sly an the Family Stone...He plays a totally different genre....Funk back then WAS P-FUnk...George Clinton was the master...the man behind it all....but in fairness Chad was primarily a rock drummer,before he went on an joined the Chilis....He listened to Pfunk,they got produced be George Clinton...an he Created his own style.....yknow?

you cant say hes UNFUNKY......Garibaldi is in another league....and Pfunk,Family Stone,Parliament,etc. were all before him....hes different.,..but NOT unfunky?
Old 02-18-2007, 09:54 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
chad smith is the most UNFUNKIEST drummer ive heard ... if youre looking for great funk drummers listen to the drummers for sly and the family stone, PFunk, and what about david garibaldi
Well you just proved that you don't know anything about da funk drummers...I'm dead serious. Chad Smith can play a mean a** funk beat!!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:16 PM

just to back 'rendesvouz drummer' up, have any of you heard the song "warlocks" on stadium arcadium??

if so, then u will notice that chad smith IS indeed a funk/y drummer, and always will be :D

well, thats my opinion anyway

on the other hand, chilis do seem to have lost that get-up-and-dance feel from the older stuff

Last edited by DrummerAz; 03-31-2007 at 08:17 PM. Reason: cos im a retard :D
Old 04-03-2007, 05:54 AM

i look up to Chad is all i have to say
Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 PM

Just want to say that I think Chad is an awesome drummer with groove and pocket like no one else. His drum sound is fantastic too.

Also, many people on here have been slating his technique. I think it's much better than many other rock drummers. What exactly is wrong with it?
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 AM

Chad Smith is the reason i started drumming after i saw a live performance of the chili's at slane castle i wasn't there unfortunately but i saw the DVD which i know is different and he just blew mw away whether you consider him a funky or a rock drummer you cannot deny his awesome talent behind the kit.
I personally consider him to be both funk and rock just as the chili's are.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerAz View Post
on the other hand, chilis do seem to have lost that get-up-and-dance feel from the older stuff
Maybe just their recorded stuff. They're still awesome live :D
Old 05-06-2007, 04:15 PM

All feel, all groove, with a lot of respect for the song.

Why wouldn't anyone love Chad Smith? Put on Bloodsugarsexmagik , and dance naked.
One top drummer in my book, and I don't give two hoots about technique if the music ain't cooking.
Amen.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:22 PM

@tomsmith:

Ditto. Just that I started some 13 years back, watching Give It Away's video on TELEVISION. :)
Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Well, no one's arguing about Garibaldi or P-Funk or Jabo Starks or anyone being "unfunky". Just that I think Chad's a RAD funky drummer as well. And come on, with a groove as deep as that (I am listening to Aeroplane, and his kick and snare just kills, man!), you're in the category of being a 'Very Good Drummer'. In my book.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
All feel, all groove, with a lot of respect for the song.

Why wouldn't anyone love Chad Smith? Put on Bloodsugarsexmagik , and dance naked.
One top drummer in my book, and I don't give two hoots about technique if the music ain't cooking.
Amen.

That is so true! Well said! I found this on video.google.. hope some wil enjoy it as mush as I did..

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...uration%3Along
Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 PM

Chad Smith isn't a bad drummer. It is awesome how he uses the drums to keep a really tight sound (even when bassest Flea goes into one of his ott bass solos!)
Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

I think his funky stuff is pretty good, but he's really great as a straight up rock drummer. Unfortunately, he sort of missed his calling there with RHCP. However, I love them as a band. Disc 2 (Mars) has some great songs on it with great drumming by Chad.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM

To me, Chad Smith comes off as a bit of a clown. I was just watching his segment with Ian Paice on the MD '05 dvd, and I must say it was like watching a two 10 year olds dueling. My opinion is that he has a good pocket and groove (not as good as many people think...you want pocket, go for some good old Steve Jordan), and a great knack for playing the right parts for a song, but other than that, extremely overrated
Old 07-01-2007, 05:18 PM

Not even close to being overrated...nobody is on here giving him praise that he is the BEST drummer. The point is, he is a good, solid drummer, who plays for the song. Every time I listen to him, it just amazes me, how the simple fills he does just fit the song perfectly! Am I saying he is the best, no...but he does deserve everything good everyone says about him.
$0.02
Old 07-07-2007, 12:37 AM

I'm not telling that Chad Smith is bad drummer, no. But its so hard to tell is he good or bad because RHCP songs are kinda slow. How can i know is he good when he plays same beat in every song. He do not plays that because he is weak drummer, he does that because thats how RHCP sound like... But, what i know... :)
Old 07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerimed View Post
But its so hard to tell is he good or bad because RHCP songs are kinda slow.
A very puzzling statement - one that equates skill with speed - after all if it ain't fast how can it be hard? While speed is certainly a tool to have on one's workbench it alone is absolutely no indicator of ability. The truth is, that playing every subdivision in the bar is much easier than playing only a few of them. It is, generally speaking, much easier to play a fast song than to play a slow one. It is the ability to understand space (and thereore dynamics) that makes a drummer a musician. This kind of muddleheaded attitude - which seems to dominate so many drum forums and the thoughts of many young inexperienced players - needs to be corrected at every opportunity.

Chad is a very good drummer precisely because he understands the concept of space - without which you cannot have groove and you cannot have dynamics.

Lerimed - I am not jumping on your case it is just that your post more succinctly makes the point that many others only hint at. I am. however, just suggesting that aa macro approach to musicianship is probably a better way to determine someone's skill level.

Paul
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 AM

Paul, thanks for a lesson, really. I didn't thought that if you don't have speed, you are bad drummer. There are a lot of "intoxicated" drummers with high speed :) [you know what i mean], but they are poor drummers with no feeling of space, like you said. I think that Chad is excellent drummer, really good. I donut know what happened with me to write that [previous post]. I know that i have much, so much to learn, even if i have speed [and i have hehe]. Thank you
lerimed
Old 07-10-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerimed View Post
Paul, thanks for a lesson, really. I didn't thought that if you don't have speed, you are bad drummer. There are a lot of "intoxicated" drummers with high speed :) [you know what i mean], but they are poor drummers with no feeling of space, like you said. I think that Chad is excellent drummer, really good. I donut know what happened with me to write that [previous post]. I know that i have much, so much to learn, even if i have speed [and i have hehe]. Thank you
lerimed
Well said. Chad Smith is one of those rare drummers that can always make people groove. Plus he can play tehnical if he wants. He's the reason every chili song is amazing.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:44 PM

I'm a big fan of Chad, I think his drumming is just soo solid

I learnt how to play Suck My Kiss from a website that shows you exactly how to play the tracks - and you can slow it down or go to any section you want!

Check it on: Show me how to play.com

& there's loadsa other tracks on there too.
ST x
Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 AM

chad smith is the most influential drummer to me. his style is just so awesome! its technical, yet at the same time it hits hard and grooves really well. listwning to him helped me to become a much better drummer than if i had just stuck to AC/DC and all those 70's hard rock bands that all have one beat that they use hundreds of times.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:58 PM

He has also recently influenced my drumming, a good drummer to look up to for begineers definitely.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerrobin View Post
Also, many people on here have been slating his technique. I think it's much better than many other rock drummers. What exactly is wrong with it?
Any thoughts?

Old 11-29-2007, 03:33 PM

He is a very good drummer. People like him because of his home growen and self taught style and just how he expresses himself and does what he wants when he plays. People just dig his style and sound, yes he isnt Dennis Chambers or JoJo Mayer, but his in a class of his own.

Quiet frankly im getting sick of this "he is over rated" talk and stuff because at the end of the day we are here and they are there so for you guys who wanna go saying that shut ya traps :)
Old 12-07-2007, 06:50 PM

i just started drumming and i draw a lot of inspiration from Chad. He is by far one of my favorites and really has a heart for the funk.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:04 PM

I personally can say that I draw huge influence from Chad and I think his playing is what everything is about, feel, groove and passion.

Of course he isn't for everyone and there will be hates but what musician doesnt have theirs haters.

Take a look at this video of Chad playing Readymade from Stadium Arcadium at a Clinic live in Northampton, U.K

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwiYs-h2rBs

There is sure as hell feel, groove and passion in this performance.

Just my 2 cents,

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 01-26-2008, 01:19 PM

His feel is incredible. He FEELS what he plays. You can see him playing out his feelings in the song. His solidness is the favorite part of his playing. He hits the drums hard and his fills are powerful. I LOVE HIM. Not on the recordings, but when he plays live.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 PM

I was having a bluesy type jam with my guitarist today and i realised how much im influenced by his playing, its strange but most of my playing style originates from him.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Chad Smith is one of the greatest funk rockers of all time. People who say he is over rated should be shot. Of course in the albums he dosent go crazy, because he is all about the groove. Watch this man and his band live and you will see some of the greatest rockers of our time, plain and simple baby.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:19 AM

another true inspiration of mine. what i love about Chad's drumming is that it's really good the songs but it's KICK ASS live!!!!

btw did Chad ever use a Pearl Steel Piccolo snare before? cuz that's the snare i use and honest to god it sounds so much like a snare that Chad would use.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Gold Member

I was watching a solo of his on youtube just last night, and man, the guy totally has chops up the !@$

He really plays for the song and doesn't let ego get in the way.

As popular as he is, I still think he is underrated as a player!!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:03 AM

Default Re: Chad Smith. Like? Dislike? come in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.WHOO View Post
like him because he plays for the song and not for tell us how much he studied
Not the best drummer of all times but great grooves for RHCP!

T
I'm on that with you, jason and whoo. And what I fail to realise is how many people are talking about 'technique 'and not 'feel'. You can always cop technique; you'll seldom be able to cop feel. That's one of the crucial factors that defines a sound. Chad has one.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:26 AM

Chad is incredible. Regardless of technical ability or whatever, you just can't ask for a better drummer. He and Steve Jordan are my two biggest influences.

Ludwig Hammered Bronze 6.5x14 Snare

Sabian AA & XS
Old 10-19-2008, 05:43 PM
Rebel

Hello, All.

I watched a drum solo battle video between Chad Smith and Ian Paice, it was quite amazing!! Chad likes to hit the bass drum head with his sticks. He is original.

All the Best,
Old 10-25-2008, 03:01 AM

While Chad Smith isn't as good techincally as some other drummers, he definetly is one of the better drummers out there. He has a great groove, plays for the music, and can still play fairly technically. He, along with Ian Paice and Bonzo are my greatest influences.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 AM
blink44

chad smith plays for music.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

I don't know a lot about chad, but he does have good rythm, like in Dani California. Thats a catchy drum intro.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Senior Administrator

here is why you gotta love chad and go to any clinic he does:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dRwMxZ...eature=related

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw