DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-31-2007, 12:38 AM

Default Different Bass Drum Beaters

I have felt beaters on my double pedal, and I don't like the sound they make..it's not sharp enough. I want an accented sound of the beater hitting the head. Will a plastic or wooden beater make this kind of sound? What are the differences between the three: Felt vs Plastic vs Wooden?
Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Different Bass Drum Beaters

The difference is how much "slap" you'll get.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Silver Member

You can try taping a quarter to the impact point of the head before you go buying beaters. Danmar sells little plexiglass discs for this purpose as well.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:03 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback. Would the slap sound or the effect of the quarter be picked up by a mic in front of the drum (in a sound hole)? The reason I ask is because I'm recording and I want a powerful bass sound like the sound in the Allegiance album of As Blood Runs Black, or the album The War Within by Shadows Fall. Their bass drums sound kind of clickish (no click pad though). I have the strong sound but it seems to have a weak attack.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:06 AM
da cheese walks

WOOD WOOD WOOD!!

seriously man...wooden beaters=metal bass sound....perfect for double bass....sounds lovely...i play funk,jazz etc. but i use wooe beaters.....sounds awesome...packs a crazy punch...i play a wood beater with a simple patch on the skin....not one of the plastic ones...just one so the skin doesnt get totally destroyed...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member

I know exactly what you mean.

Heres the ideal thing:

go down to the drum store and get yourself a DANMAR power double plate.

its basicaly an oval of steel that attaches to the kick, and gives a perfect clicky bass sound.

you can use felt beaters on it, and it costs a quarter of the price of a new beater....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
I know exactly what you mean.

Heres the ideal thing:

go down to the drum store and get yourself a DANMAR power double plate.

its basicaly an oval of steel that attaches to the kick, and gives a perfect clicky bass sound.

you can use felt beaters on it, and it costs a quarter of the price of a new beater....
I tried all of those DANMAR double kick pads. None of them lasted more than 20 min of playing! I gave up after the 3rd. Waste of time in my opinion. To each their own though. I find i get the bassdrum to sound best just using the dw Hardcore beater. They are adjustible and awesome!
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2007, 07:19 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
Thanks for the quick feedback. Would the slap sound or the effect of the quarter be picked up by a mic in front of the drum (in a sound hole)? The reason I ask is because I'm recording and I want a powerful bass sound like the sound in the Allegiance album of As Blood Runs Black, or the album The War Within by Shadows Fall. Their bass drums sound kind of clickish (no click pad though). I have the strong sound but it seems to have a weak attack.
The plastic or wood beaters will definitely give you more slap. Also, if you are recording, then you will want to get get a new head or two in your favorite brand-type. Don't put any patch on it and use it specifically for this recording project. If there is a budget for the recording project, then budget in these two heads! The patches DO alter the sound of your kick drum! After you are finished recording, then you can appliy the patch or toss them, whetever!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-01-2007, 05:34 AM

Hmm..I recorded this morning before reading this thread. I was offered one of those plates but I didn't take it... Do they affect the rebound of the beater, being that they are pretty much solid?

Anyway the sound is pretty good, it could have a little more punch to it but it's acceptable. Mabye in future recordings it'll come into play.

Skitch- I find that the patches give a stronger sound then the plain head normally would. Personally I like the sound they give, and I used them in the recording. If I were to change the beater material (to wood or plastic), would they dampen the slap effect?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrash Drummer View Post
Hmm..I recorded this morning before reading this thread. I was offered one of those plates but I didn't take it... Do they affect the rebound of the beater, being that they are pretty much solid?

Anyway the sound is pretty good, it could have a little more punch to it but it's acceptable. Mabye in future recordings it'll come into play.

Skitch- I find that the patches give a stronger sound then the plain head normally would. Personally I like the sound they give, and I used them in the recording. If I were to change the beater material (to wood or plastic), would they dampen the slap effect?

I remember that the sound of an unpatched head seems clearer - it has been awhile!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 AM

what about rubber??

-geroge
Old 04-04-2007, 03:27 PM

the dw Hardcore beater is awesome!!!!