DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: DOM FAMULARO

From Dom to you all:

Please send this to all your readers.....
"I am so humbled and inspired by what you all said. The brotherhood of drummers is the best! No other instrument has this. My Father was a Fireman and I learned from how they all treat and respect each other...we as drummers do the same thing! I travel the globe trying my best to give as much as I can, but it is every drummer that motivates me! The great questions, the endless passion, the incredible dedication and the honesty to the art form. This is what I learn from all the drummers I meet! My Italian grand parents once told me...'speak from your mind and not everyone will understand...but, speak from your heart and the world will hear your message!' I always try to give 110% each performance...like it is my last! Life is short and I want my last performance to be my best...whenever that is! When I feel like I am giving 100%, that is the time to give more! Each one of you reading this has a responsibility to your talent! Learn everyday and share it...give it away! You will reach people and inspire them to aspire! You are the next generation of drummers! Thank you all and I hope to meet you during my travels! If you see me...come up to me and say we met at DrummerWorld! Bernhard brings us all together...he is a rainmaker for drummers. Thanks Bernhard and thank you all! See you soon.....somewhere!"
Onward and Upward...
Dom
www.DomFamularo.com
Old 02-14-2006, 04:59 PM
Senior Administrator

Quote:
Life is short and I want my last performance to be my best...whenever that is!
what great words...a signature for a forum member if ever i saw one.

j

PS: if you are reading this, Dom...thanks. your spirit is the distilled spirit of what this forum is all about. please sign up and drop us a word or two in the DRUMMER section when you can.

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Pioneer Member

i've seen clips of him soloing. the guy has the energy of a 20 year old.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:55 PM

I have only recently come to learn of Dom and his infectious good cheer. We could all only hope to have an instructor such as Dom. Planning on ordering his book "It's your Move" very soon. Well actually I''ve asked for it for my birthday...my 45th! I am looking forward to being at my all time best as a drummer at 50! There is no reason why we all can't continue to improve no matter what our age.

You youngsters are blessed. Use your time wisely.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 PM
Pioneer Member

I love this guy!!
The last time he was in Seattle I didn't know who he was, and passed up a chance to meet him.
Next time I'll know better!
I just dig the pictures of him ... always with that huge, happy smile ... makes me think of my mom saying, "... your face will freeze like that!" ... only in a real good way!!
Old 04-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Yeah, I guess you could say Dom is partly to blame for my recent return to the drums. I had first heard of him just a few weeks ago when I watched the "TUDW 2002" dvd. AMAZING style!! And yes, he did play his sticks off his glasses!
Old 04-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knevildrummer
I guess it's just like the Weckl or Peart bashers. Some people are just looking for reasons to hate.
Or some people don't quite get other people's infatuation with certain drummers? Hardly hate.

Dom, however, is the epitome of a great guy. If a drummer ever ran for President, I think Dom would be the only choice. He can seriously bring together so many differing people and opinions with his infectious personality.

Last edited by Stu_Strib; 04-04-2006 at 11:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:30 AM
Pioneer Member

I actually think he's a great educater...also for kids.

Because he likes to introduce all the ways of playing...and does not stupiditly say that or that grip is the best, etc.
I also think, that if he's always so motivating - with the big smile - and trying to accent the positive aspects of playing when teaching, he can motivate a lot of students to work hard....

I think these are also very important things in an educative way...
Old 04-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
I think it's a pitty he uses so much double bass. He's such a creative drummer...why must he add so much double bass at the end of his playing? !
Well, he is one of the innovators of the double pedal (if not THE innovator). I think he was the first guy to advocate dumping the second bass drum in favor of the newly developed double pedals (not that it is better, as double bass players will tell you two drums are better).

Why NOT incorporate double bass? We don't use just 1 hand when we play, so why not develop the left leg as well? I know I work hard at it, although I would rarely need it in the style of music I play. It has helped in my coordination, and really freed up my left leg for jazz and syncopation on the hihat (played with foot).
Old 04-13-2006, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Dom Famularo

How could any drummer not love Dom? He's just the best. What a great player, great teacher and great motivator. His Cyber lessons are great to start your day with for just the positive vibe alone.

Waterjet / Love the Drum & Worship at its Temple
Old 04-13-2006, 01:13 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Why NOT incorporate double bass? We don't use just 1 hand when we play, so why not develop the left leg as well?
That kind of makes sense, but I've always thought that the whole "Well, we use both hands so why not use both feet" is actually rather different from how it works out. For me playing double bass is more like training yourself to be able to play fast, ultra-powerful singles on an 18" floor tom - it's something you do have to develop with your hands, and whether you choose to do that is really based on whether you see yourself having a need for it.

I mean sure, it can't hurt. But if your ultimate aspiration is to be a jazz drummer your time would be better spent learning to better control your snare drum tones and dynamics than working on ultra-powerful strokes on loose floor toms. See what I mean?

So while I do work on my left foot a lot (on the hi-hat), I don't really see the point in a double pedal. I literally have no use whatsoever for that much bass drum.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:11 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Oh, and as for the debate over Dom going on.. I think there's some arguing at cross purposes going on.

I don't go watch Dom Famularo solos and go "Wow, that's what inspired me to be a drummer". I go listen to music, and I enjoy much simpler, less flashy playing in that context. Dom is a very choppy, very entertaining drummer. But I wouldn't hire him over 90% of the rest of the guys on Drummerworld just because he doesn't have as well-paved a playing history.

But if I was going looking for a teacher - and I might be, shortly, seriously enough to get on a plane to the US for a while - then Dom would be very high up the list. He clearly has a great depth of technical knowledge and has studied directly with all the greats. And while grumpy-but-great players are awesome to listen to (Tim Alexander? He always seemed pretty grumpy in interviews, and the rest of Primus seemed to be saying the same) I'd much rather have lessons with somebody who sends me out the door in a great mood wanting to go practice as much as humanly possible.

It's kind of like Kung Fu, I guess. You wouldn't hire an eighty-year-old chinese guy to be the doorman on your nightclub, but you wouldn't go to a six-foot-tall mid-twenties Samoan dude if you wanted to be the next Bruce Lee. Players and teachers can be very different beasts, and I reckon Dom is probably an astonishing teacher.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Senior Consultant

The thing with Dom that I most respect is that he chose this path (clinician, educator) many years ago and has kept true to his vision. How many people do you know (drummers and non-drummers alike) who are doing what they love and getting paid for it? Probably extremely few.

Many drummers in the US haven't heard of him simply because he tends to do international tours. (Also many drummers are woefully uneducated about the history of drumset and drummers.) He has opened many countries to drum clinics, from China to former Warsaw Pact nations. That's why he's the "ambassador". He started as a clinician back in the day when he was the Director of Education for Tama. That's where this direction started. He found that he loved teaching.

Until this last generation of double pedal players came up (Lang, Donati) he was probably the best double pedal player anywhere. His feet are entirely under control (and astonishingly fast and smooth).

Ask any pro drummer from Chapin to Gadd to Donati (3 generations) and they will all sing Dom's praises. Geez, Jim Chapin even wrote a song entitled "Dom". Steve Gadd has gone on record as saying that Dom is the authority on drumset technique. Virgil endorses his book and considers him to be the best drumset teacher going. I could go on and on...

Someone with this much credibility in the industry doesn't need me to stick up for him but
I had to chime in on his behalf. I consider Dom a friend as well as a teacher and the fact is that he has directly changed my drumming (and my life) for the better.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knevildrummer
Someone with this much credibility in the industry doesn't need me to stick up for him....
Maybe not but I'm very glad you did. You see, this is the great thing about this site: I can come on here and post something about a guy I know very little of, just my gut feelings from what I've seen. Some people will get annoyed, others, like you, will calmly explain why I should look again. This benefits not only me, but any others who may have felt the same way as me (like, "Who the hell is Dom Famularo?!") and are silently following this thread. This is why I think critical posts should remain and not be deleted, because there are a lot of smart people here who can disagree calmly and, in the process, educate their fellow drummers. It's funny, but I could have sworn my posts had been deleted the day after I wrote them, and now they're back....people power?
Old 04-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Stu_Strib

Hey Womble, I get your point, but in this case I am very surprised at your take. Saying you don't know who Dom Famularo is would be like a NASCAR wannabee saying he's never heard of Dale Earnhardt! (or you F1 guys, saying you've never heard of Michael Schumaker)

Unless, I guess, clinics and education really haven't been what you are into since you took on drumming?

Come to think of it, I don't think I know a single recording off the top of my head, but I've seen him so many times, and seen so many educational videos and books from him that I feel like we are good friends. And I have an 8x10 black and white signed photo from 1983...hehe.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:05 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Stu you're giving your age away again. Heh. I took a gander over at his official website a long while back and he doesn't actually cite any recordings he's appeared in. I'm sure he's been in a few but somebody not having heard of Dom is understandable. Not having a high profile as an artist can have a big effect on your media exposure, especially if you are not from the same country as the drummer in question.

Back onto Dom. Great guy, great player (like his chops or not) and he's what everyone would want and need in a teacher. His enthusiasm, though sometime grating, is something we should all note down. To be that motivated and clearly inspired by the World around him is a much better perspective than the embittered 'I could have made it' perspective a lot of us have or are going to have in the near future.

Go Dom!
Old 01-06-2007, 06:47 PM

Wow, fascinating thread... although it looks like I'm a bit late to the party.

Here's some audio clips of Dom playing live back in the early 80's:

http://www.ricksuchow.com/music.html
Old 01-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Rick, thank you so much for posting those clips. Do you have some thoughts on playing with Dom that you could add to this discussion?
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM

Sure, I'd be happy to. I remember being impressed with the way Dom approached his drum kit as a musical instrument, as opposed to merely a 'rhythm' instrument. He got a great overall sound out of it and had a keen sense of using nuance and dynamics in his playing. To this day I don't know if I've played with a drummer who could match his cymbal technique. Dom and I played together from 81-82, and for me it was quite a learning experience (especially being only 22 years old when I joined his band).

I remember that we had a certain musical trust onstage, and for that reason Dom wasn't afraid to push me in unexpected directions. What you hear on those tapes is a band that had a completely different repertoire every show, with no more than 1 or 2 rehearsals for each, so there's a bit of that "fly by the seat of your pants" element. It certainly made for some incredibly musical moments, and also taught me to trust my own instincts on stage, which in turn made me a better player.

My only criticism of Dom at that stage of his development, and this could probably apply to anyone in that band, was that he occasionally had a tendency to show off his technique a bit much. Unfortunately it was sometimes at the expense of the groove. Perhaps it was the 'adrenaline' of the moment, or the fact that many of Dom's students would come to those shows and he felt the need to put on a show for them, I'm not really sure.

Now having said that, I'm intrigued by Dom appointing himself "Drumming's Global Ambassador" these days. Do drummers have any thoughts on that?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:21 PM

I first heard of Dom from my teacher in MD, Grant Menefee. Grant gave me a copy of a note Dom had written:

"Watch your thoughts, for they can become words,

Watch your words, they can become actions,

Watch your actions, they can become habits,

Watch your your habits, they can become character,

Watch your character, it becomes your destiny!"

(I apologize if I've misquoted that, but I'm going from memory)

I thought that was one of the best pieces of advice one could give another, drum-related or not. I'm a fan of those that have not only excelled at a particular study, but at the human-excellence thing as well.

SRJ
Old 01-08-2007, 11:46 PM

Ok, Dan, I stand corrected.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

I saw Dom play with Liberty Devitto in May of 1989 (I think) at a clinic in my local store. I didn't know who he was at that time. He played first. His playing was mind blowing, he was a ball of energy. I remeber how happy and pleasant he was. It was a very nice evening. I haven't seen or heard anything like it before...or after. Now this was in 1989. I'm sure he's only gotten better with time. I would love to see him play again.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Rick, thanks very much for contributing to this conversation. I've talked with Dom a few times, and I've heard him play and speak publicly, but I've never had a chance to sit and jam with him. What a cool experience that would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsooch View Post
...I'm intrigued by Dom appointing himself "Drumming's Global Ambassador" these days. Do drummers have any thoughts on that?
As has been said, this is the title that many have given to Dom, not one that he adopted himself. Read this interview that I did with him and you'll see why I'm one of those people who agree whole-heartedly that Dom can and does represent us as a community with grace and skill.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsooch View Post
Now having said that, I'm intrigued by Dom appointing himself "Drumming's Global Ambassador" these days. Do drummers have any thoughts on that?
I have never actually heard Dom playing but he was kind enough to offer me his thoughts and help with some Wrist injury issues i had last year..
Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

Ive been a fan of Doms for many years now, but was lucky enough to be able to bring him out for a clinic in July last year and offer him accomodation and transport - so I spent some time getting to know him.

For people that dont know Dom, you will probably not know that his dimeanour offstage is as professional and inspiring as his playing onstage. This genuine personality is undoubtedly what people remember most about him. He is the full package. A great player and great person.

The morning of the clinic, he offered to do a motivational speech for the staff at my work free of charge.

While setting up for the gig, he showed me more about my technique in 10mins than I had been shown in 16 years.

He is THE nicest and most accommodating man Ive ever met. He didnt stay behind a curtain like many artists, waiting to be called out. He was at the front door as soon as we opened. He signed items for everybody and personally thanked everyone for coming to his show prior to taking the stage. He even bought drinks for my wife and staff as they assisted him! He then went onstage and blew everyone away. He then continued to thank and sign things for people, and if I didnt get him out of there and into the car when I did, we probably would have missed his flight back home!

As an organiser, it is sometimes tough to coordinate a clinic in addition to dealing with attitudes and egos of the players. If he ever returns to Perth, Western Australia again I will be the first retailer lining up to host him again.

If you ever want to know what its like to get the absolute most out of every minute of your life, look no further than Dom's career. Hes a player, a teacher, an ambassador, a writer, a motivational speaker, a Dad, A Husband and a good friend :)
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Pioneer Member

Having been able to witness Dom's playing on more than one occasion, I can assure you that this man is called "the ambassador" for a good reason. He has everything down from technique, to speed, to creativity, to a great pocket.

My History professor looks EXACTLY like him too. Funny..
Old 01-29-2007, 04:11 PM

Just last night I got a chance to see Dom at a local drum battle on Long Island. It was pretty awesome because no one new he was going to be there and he gave an awesome little speech about the drummers that were performing that night. I didn't get a chance to personally talk to him but he seems like a great guy.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just received a very nice video from Dom - and who knows, if there are good questions he probably will join the forum (he is aready member)

Was so great to meet him again in Frankfurt!!!

Enjoy:
http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/domfamularo.mov

Bernhard
Old 04-02-2007, 10:49 PM

Funny story:

So my dad was in a wedding band (played guitar) and Dom Famularo and his brother were involved with the wedding band company. And apparently Dom was absolutely horrible at playing. Absolutely, nobody wanted to play with him (because the company had multiple drummers) they could play with another drummer. And that's when Dom practiced a lot and finally became a good drummer. Now he is a legend of today and my dad cannot believe it!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsch223 View Post
Funny story:

So my dad was in a wedding band (played guitar) and Dom Famularo and his brother were involved with the wedding band company. And apparently Dom was absolutely horrible at playing. Absolutely, nobody wanted to play with him (because the company had multiple drummers) they could play with another drummer. And that's when Dom practiced a lot and finally became a good drummer. Now he is a legend of today and my dad cannot believe it!
Guitar Players Don't Know What A Good Drummer Is Anyway hahah

But What's Yer Dads Name I'll Ask Dom About This So We Can Get His Side....

Give Me The Details And I'll Get Back To Ya!
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

i have been taking lessons with dom off and on for about 2 years and i must say that he is the BEST teacher i have ever had.he knows more about drum technique then any other teacher i have ever taken lessons with and he always wants to help me get to the next level.he is also one of the nicest guys i have every met.
the way i first met him was in my home state of VA.i saw that he was doing a clinic in my area so i called him up and asked if i could take a lesson with him before his show.i also told him that i had tendenitis and that had been giving me problems for years.he told me to come down for the lesson and that he would not even charge me for it so that he could help me out with my wrist problems.i have been trying to drive up to long island to study with him ever since when im able to.and its well,well worth the trip.
i hope to study with him for many years to come because he has the knowledge to help me grow to be the best drummer i can be.and the pure fact that he really cares about all of his students is just awesome.you really get the major feeling that he is really glad to see you when you come in for your lesson.hes the kind of guy that will bend over backwards to help you out.
great teacher and a great human being!!!!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM

Dom is great! For about 2 years I have been lurking around drum forums. For the past year, I learned about House Of Drumming. This post reminded me of all the pro bashing on that forum. Not because that happens here, but because Dom takes a beating in there. Aside from the "big name" members, the posters can't really play. It's obvious because they post audio and video clips of themselves. That makes the problem there even more ironic. A bunch of drummers that can't play bashing Dom and other pros. I believe someone said Steve Hass was a member in addition to Peter Erskine and some others. I have been lurking around hod for sometime and have never seen a Steve Hass post from the man himself. One or two bozos from HOD that bash Dom talk about Steve Hass like he's Buddy Rich! Steve is one of today's top young drummers, but let's not get carried away. I bet they also didn't know about Steve's first drum teacher. Dom Famularo. I have seen Phil Maturano voice some great opinions, basically putting down the forum's moderators. Another great drummer that I first heard of in the mid 1990s. HOD allows too many negative posts about great drummers. Back to Dom. He is the first drummer I have ever seen to play fast, clean and precise double bass rolls. I saw him play for the first time in 1985. Later that decade, I saw him play at the first Buddy Rich memorial scholarship concert. He blew everyone away. I even saw Vinnie Colaiuta and Steve Gadd lose it when Dom played. Yea, I have been around. I'm an old timer. LOL
Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

I first met Dom back in 1980 at a clinic for the Long Island Drum Center. I could imagine it was one of his earliest, if not his first major clinic. So I feel special.:) He was great even back then, captivating and imaginative. Dom was doing the open-handed playing back then, though he played traditional grip. I had read through Jim's book, Advanced Techniques, open-handedly as the instructions say, so I was impressed. It is strange that many notables will disparage Jim's book. I still use that book today. Just recently I went through it with a baiaon samba foot ostinato and cascara cymbal rhythm. It was all there in Jim's book 60 years ago if you had the foresight to see it. Jim invented everything when it comes to a modern approach to playing the drum set. When I was a kid I wanted to study with Jim Chapin. But I moved out to California after college so I never got the chance. Now back in NY, I still e mail Dom asking him when Jim is going to be available for a lesson. God Bless Jim.

I always wanted to study with Dom, as well, which I finally got to do recently. He really helped me to get focused on the drum kit. He has the formula for success, and I've been able to use his technique in concrete applicable ways. That's what it is all about in the end. His drumming style has changed over the years and is still changing. He is truly an innovator .I think if I had to note one thing about Dom, it would be his openness. Every teacher you go to will say this is the way to do things; but Dom brings it all in. He does not scoff at anything. His openness in that regard is a breadth of fresh air. I continue to learn from his teaching everyday both as a student and a teacher.

Last edited by Deltadrummer; 10-05-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Dom Famularo is really awesome.
First, when I saw some vids from him, I wasen't THAT impressed. Even if I wasen't so interest in his style, I went to one of his clinic in Montreal. Oh my God, the feeling is so different when you see him performing live. He has such a POWERFUL presence. He is so generous and he share a lot of his knowledge. When you get out of the clinic, you feel incredibly refresh.

If any of you have the chance to see one of his clinic, go see him without an hesitation. EVEN if you think you won't like it. BE OPEN MINDED, he would said. And he is true.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2009, 02:06 AM

I wanted to thank Dom For his book, The Weaker Side. After working through just 13 or 14 pages my left hand can now carry my beats just like my right. I now have indepenece in my left hand, and that is an accomplishment that I almost thought unattainable when I was just starting about 13 years ago. This book is fantastic and I look forward to continuing to work on it. Thanks Dom, and keep up the good work!
Old 09-03-2009, 05:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Dom Famularo, the man, the drummer, the laugh. I think Dom's an incredible musician, who has a real passion about the instrument he plays.
I've checked out some of his "cyber-lessons" with Jim Chapin (another drum legend),they're a were a real bonus when it came to the moeller technique. And as for his laugh. I just feel he genuinly enjoys what he does.
If it raises a smile from you that can't be a bad thing, lessons should be fun.
HaHaHaa.
Those are great videos over on the Vic Firth site. Dom (and Jim Chapin, of course) are so bright and enthusiastic. They're fun to watch even if you have the stuff down already.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

I've met Dom several times and have attended his teaching seminar. I love this guy.

Dom Famularo is a legend!

And I love Jim Chapin's song about him. :-)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

I've set up a Facebook fan page for Dom Famularo here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dom-Fa...21876674509002

Please feel free to join.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:45 PM

i just had the honour of having him underneath my microphones
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 AM
Gold Member

Just took this off the web site for Norman Music Institute in Norman, Okla. If any of you are close, you might want to think about attending. I did so the last time he was in town and he puts on a great clinic.

World Class Drummer and Motivational Speaker Dom Famularo to present a Drum Clinic on September 15th @ 2pm free to Norman Music Institute students & 1 parent all others $5 also Drumset Master Class 10am-11am that morning with Dom - $25

The Norman Music Institute is located at 2795 Broce Drive Norman, OK 73072
(405) 292-8400.