DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-30-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Drum mic's

Ok so I am on a hunt for some mic's for my kit. My local music store has there own brand OSP, comes with 7 mic's. I am going to end up spending a lot of money to get cables, something to hook them into and so on. I don't plan on doing any kind of live shows (can't get the guitarist at my church to focus on a band). So what do I do in this situation?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum mic's

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbius25 View Post
Ok so I am on a hunt for some mic's for my kit. My local music store has there own brand OSP, comes with 7 mic's. I am going to end up spending a lot of money to get cables, something to hook them into and so on. I don't plan on doing any kind of live shows (can't get the guitarist at my church to focus on a band). So what do I do in this situation?
I'm not sure why you even need mics.

If you record, the studio will (or should) have a top-notch collection optimized for recording. If you play at an outdoor concert or a club, the venue should have its own mics, optimized for performance.

That being said, I have been building a mic collection for my drums and percussion over the years. I have a good PA and the bassist has a large mixing board.

Everyone in the band typically brings their own collection of sound stuff. If you put it in a big pile, you might be able to do your own sound for most gigs when needed.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 AM

I don't know why you'd need drum mics either. Studios and venues have them. If your just going to use them for home recording you can get by with some SM-57s around the kit or if you want drum mics I'd suggest the CAD 4 piece package thats $140 at Musicians Friend.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Platinum Member

I'm the third guy to not be able to figure out why you need mics, from your openning statement. Do not use expensive equipment like a mic to beat your guitarist when a bar of soap in a sock will work just fine.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Do not use expensive equipment like a mic to beat your guitarist when a bar of soap in a sock will work just fine.
It works a lot better if you put it in the bottom of an empty pillow cover instead of a sock...
Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 AM

Ok, some where everyone got hung up on the fact that I was going into some studio...............Ok, so lets try this again. I want to have MY own studio, in MY own house. So how would a studio provide me with mic's if I had MY own studio. Not to mention, I said I wasn't planning on doing any live shows or anything.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
I'm not sure why you even need mics.

If you record, the studio will (or should) have a top-notch collection optimized for recording. If you play at an outdoor concert or a club, the venue should have its own mics, optimized for performance.

That being said, I have been building a mic collection for my drums and percussion over the years. I have a good PA and the bassist has a large mixing board.

Everyone in the band typically brings their own collection of sound stuff. If you put it in a big pile, you might be able to do your own sound for most gigs when needed.
So if I don't need MY own mic's you said you have your own. Why do you need them then.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Ok guys the opening statement is MY LOCAL STORE. The place that I would buy stuff from. The closest studio is about 45 miles away. I want to record from my own home, kinda like half of the people on this site do. Don't see how that was too misleading.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So where in your original post does it say anything about you wanting to build your own home studio?
Old 04-01-2007, 05:53 AM

Quote:
So where in your original post does it say anything about you wanting to build your own home studio?
I'm wondering that as well, plus I did make some suggestions for mic options. Everyone was asking a simple question, you really didn't specify why you wanted the mics, and people were trying to save you some money if you didn't really need them.

Anyway on the original post, I cannot comment for or against OSP, all I know of them is that they are sold on ebay by the same people who sell those super cheap absolute junk drums, so looking at that I'd prob say they aren't worth anything. Also yes you mentioned your local store... but just becuase your local store has complete junk and had 0 selection... doesn't mean you have to shop there at all especially in this day and age of online business like Musicians Friend, Music 123/WWBW, and others. I used to live in a place with a similar situation, where they'd charge you list price for everything, as soon as I discovered the internet and Musicians Friend that's where all my purchases went.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Where in my original post did say anything about me going to some studio? Figured someone would have put two and two together to get 4, but guess not. Why else would I want to buy my own mic's?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I'm wondering that as well, plus I did make some suggestions for mic options. Everyone was asking a simple question, you really didn't specify why you wanted the mics, and people were trying to save you some money if you didn't really need them.

Anyway on the original post, I cannot comment for or against OSP, all I know of them is that they are sold on ebay by the same people who sell those super cheap absolute junk drums, so looking at that I'd prob say they aren't worth anything. Also yes you mentioned your local store... but just becuase your local store has complete junk and had 0 selection... doesn't mean you have to shop there at all especially in this day and age of online business like Musicians Friend, Music 123/WWBW, and others. I used to live in a place with a similar situation, where they'd charge you list price for everything, as soon as I discovered the internet and Musicians Friend that's where all my purchases went.
Yeah I just use this store to get the hands on thing. I go there try the stuff out, then check on the net. The OSP brand I agree does suck. I bought some of there sticks (kinda like hot rods) and they fell apart with in the hour. The only reason I had looked at them for mics was the fact that they are cheap, but have an ok quality. I looked on Musicians Friend and saw some by CAD.

I only want mics so that I can lay down tracks for stuff at my church. Plus I feel that if I can get them then I would be able to play with my drums at church, and not the crap that I play on now.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah I just use this store to get the hands on thing. I go there try the stuff out, then check on the net.
If you use stores to try out products with no intention of buying them them and instead getting online, that's really, really bad. Shame on people who do that. That's not being a smart shopper, just exploiting the local store.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Check your private messages.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So if I don't need MY own mic's you said you have your own. Why do you need them then.
I use them for percussion items like tablas, Hang drum, etc. Also sometimes the bassist says he wants to amplify the bass drum and snare for outdoor gigs when we use our own PA and do our own sound.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
If you use stores to try out products with no intention of buying them them and instead getting online, that's really, really bad. Shame on people who do that. That's not being a smart shopper, just exploiting the local store.
Your right it is bad. But when I go to the store and the guy there tells me he will sell me something and that it is the best price ever, but then I look on line and can get it for like $50 less........So anyways. What I am wanting to do is have my own studio so that I can try to get a band together. So I would like to be able to record some stuff also just for fun.