DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-16-2007, 04:59 AM
Jusstickinaround

Default Evans Remo

What do you prefer and why? Evans or Remo heads, I'd been a big Remo guy, but when I bought my Gretsch kit they came with G1 coated heads on the toms and snare and an EQ on the kick. I'm starting to like them, they seem to sound different then the coated Ambassadors I'd been using. I seem to hear a kind of click sound from the Remo heads, anyone else with an opinion on this would be appreciated.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Evans Remo

I prefer Evans as they seem to have a warmer sound to me. The remos are more open and resonant.

I use remo and evans though, depending on the sound i want. I prefer Ambassadors to G1's but G2's to Emperors. Also, my Evans seem to last longer than my Remo's.

I like Remo for jazz and Evans for funk, blues, R&B. Both are top notch companies and if any were to sponsor me i wouldn't say no.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:27 AM

I've gone back and forth between the two, but what did it in for me was a show i played with a band i was in a while back. I put a new evans genera head on the snare before the show, "cracked" it and played it in a little and everything. The show starts, and right when we start the first song, I am watching dents go into my snare head one by one. By the end of the song the head was absolutely dead. I had to borrow another snare to finish. It was loud rock n roll, and hard hitting, but that head should still be able to take that beating (i'm not the hardest of hitters anyway). I don't know if i got a defective head or what, but i've stuck with remo since. They just seem more durable to me.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahum View Post
I don't know if i got a defective head or what, but i've stuck with remo since. They just seem more durable to me.
That's something I've noticed about Evans vs. Remo. It seems, based on my experience, that Remo heads tend to flat out break. On the other hand, I've never broken an Evans head, just put lots of dents into them to the point where they don't sound good any more.

For my next experiment, I think I might try Aquarians starting on the snare. See how those work out.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstickinaround View Post
What do you prefer and why? Evans or Remo heads, I'd been a big Remo guy, but when I bought my Gretsch kit they came with G1 coated heads on the toms and snare and an EQ on the kick. I'm starting to like them, they seem to sound different then the coated Ambassadors I'd been using. I seem to hear a kind of click sound from the Remo heads, anyone else with an opinion on this would be appreciated.

I like Remo Ambassadors and I really don't care for the Evans, Aquarian or Attack heads myself. I don't hear any click noise from my Remo heads - so I can't help you there. Many younger drummers dis on Remo because the Remo heads have been around for so long that they are pretty much industry standard. I have played for so long that I have played on just about all the heads around. I try to still to what I like and be consistent. Kind of like that Nebraska offense under Tom Osborne (it works under any kind of condition; sunny, cloudy, rain, snow, hail, sleet). When I find something that works for me, I pretty much leave it be...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78564594
Old 03-16-2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member

Evans and Remo, the 2 oldest mylar drum head companies. That's my understanding, anyhow. And Evans invented the mylar drum head. I've pretty much always used Remo, though not one to throw away anything given to me, I've played both. As far as a click sound, I have no idea.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:24 AM
da cheese walks

REmo....!

have been using Evans the last few months on my toms...dont tune up properly...dent to easily..and also just dont have the sound i love!!

remo coated ambassadors are the most wonderful skins ever for toms!!

however Remo weatherking 3ply powerstrokes are GORGEOUS on the bass!!

however...i hate both of them on my snare....Remo if i was to choose...but my favourite on the snare are the coated Aquarians with teh powerdot inside...?LOVELY!!

haha...gettin awfully passionate bout my skins!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
That's something I've noticed about Evans vs. Remo. It seems, based on my experience, that Remo heads tend to flat out break. On the other hand, I've never broken an Evans head, just put lots of dents into them to the point where they don't sound good any more.

For my next experiment, I think I might try Aquarians starting on the snare. See how those work out.
I mean this in a good Christian way, but you probable play to hard. I play plenty loud and never put a dent in my ambassadors (which are single ply heads, by the way). If you're ever in a gig where the drums need to be loud enough to put a dent in any head I'd be surprised if you weren't miked. If you're at home putting dents (or breaking) heads, I don't think I need to say it, it should already be implied. No offense.
I prefer Remo because they have more resonance, and are just flat out easier to tune. Evans is way too loud and has awfully terrible tone. I like Evans for bass drums (if they're just right), but it's hard to play in a small room with a band, and they're only loud, never soft. I use Emads right now, but probably, since I have a bunch of jazz gigs coming up, I'll get a PowerStroke Four. It seems (no offense to anyone) that Emads are just marketing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
Many younger drummers dis on Remo because the Remo heads have been around for so long that they are pretty much industry standard.
Yeah, I notice that a lot. Some people like to get way-to-thick heads like Hydraulics to emulate their favorite Metal album, when a lot of that is the mix (although a lot of drummers did use Hydraulics back in the day).
Old 03-17-2007, 03:09 AM
da cheese walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
I mean this in a good Christian way, but you probable play to hard. I play plenty loud and never put a dent in my ambassadors (which are single ply heads, by the way). If you're ever in a gig where the drums need to be loud enough to put a dent in any head I'd be surprised if you weren't miked. If you're at home putting dents (or breaking) heads, I don't think I need to say it, it should already be implied. No offense.
I hear ya about the ambassadors....i havent dented ambassadors since i began using them....i mean i basically have to change my skins after a few months,and theyre still in quite good condition...maybe a bit of wear...but no denting,and only the rare breaking of a skin....and i am a heavy hitter...i mean a HEAVY hitter.....!
Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I mean this in a good Christian way, but you probable play to hard. I play plenty loud and never put a dent in my ambassadors (which are single ply heads, by the way). If you're ever in a gig where the drums need to be loud enough to put a dent in any head I'd be surprised if you weren't miked.
Well, in this case I'm certain that I was playing far too hard. On my own, or even on most gigs, I will never hit that hard. I was actually playing with a pep band which requires that I be exceptionally loud (and there's also the fact that I just get excited and carried away).

I was really just making the comparison that, from the Remo heads I've played, under very heavy hitting, Remos tend to break, while Evans tend to dent and pit.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:46 AM

I've never played Evans heads, so I guess this doesn't mean much, but I prefer Remo (coated ambassadors.)

I have never broken, or even dented any of my Remo heads. The main reason I chose Remo in the first place was that it is and has been the standard for a while, and since so many people use Remo, it would probably be the best choice. While I don't have the experience to make a comparison between Evans and Remo heads, I can say that I get a very good sound from my Remo heads.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:48 AM

i've just always used remo
so i say remo
Old 03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I prefer Remo because they have more resonance, and are just flat out easier to tune. Evans is way too loud and has awfully terrible tone. I like Evans for bass drums (if they're just right), but it's hard to play in a small room with a band, and they're only loud, never soft. I use Emads right now, but probably, since I have a bunch of jazz gigs coming up, I'll get a PowerStroke Four. It seems (no offense to anyone) that Emads are just marketing.

Yeah, I notice that a lot. Some people like to get way-to-thick heads like Hydraulics to emulate their favorite Metal album, when a lot of that is the mix (although a lot of drummers did use Hydraulics back in the day).

I used to use Hydraulics back in when I was 14 or 15. I was into Neil Peart big time! These were the heads which had the ceramic collar and when you changed them out, they sometime s had to be pryed off the shell!

And the thing about heads is that a clear Ambassador head isn't the head for every drum!

Mike

Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I used to use Hydraulics back in when I was 14 or 15.
And then you said...
Quote:
And the thing about heads is that a clear Ambassador head isn't the head for every drum!
First off, I just meant that with hydraulics you can't get much tone. I bought one for my twelve inch rack tom (I play a four piece) and it almost completely choked up the drum. They're useable.
But the second comment made me think. Most drums have similar bearing edges. I know for a fact that Spaun has different bearing edges, but I don't want to get in to that. The way the edge touches the head, however, could really affect the sound of the drum. If you take two drums of similar quality and size (like a yamaha maple custom 12*8 tom and a DW tom of the same size) and put the same type of head on it (for this example I'll use an EC2), they might have very similar tones. But, note that I'm not saying that that means Ambassadors are perfect for every drum, just that it might sound the same on two drums.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:46 AM
Silver Member

I really prefer the Evans heads. I like the EC2's and both coated and clear G2's. I like the warmth I get from them and they seem to hold up great. I currently have the EC2's on my batter side and clear G1's on the resonant side and they make my birch shells sing. The coating on the coated G2's seem to hold up better than the Remo's too. So to answer your question....I prefer Evans.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
And then you said...
I think that my point on the Ambassadors aren't the head for every drum was that a cheaply made drum kit may not favor the Ambassador...I wasn't starting an argument here; just stating that, on some drums, the Ambassadors may not be the best heads. And I did use the Hydraulics back in the day, because Neil was using them. Now I use what I like and sounds good to my ear.

Mike

Old 03-18-2007, 07:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
...cheaply made drum kit may not favor the Ambassador...]
Indeed, I was in Guitar Center the other day, and most of the floor kits had Emads on the kick and Pinstripes on the toms, 2 of the heads I would least think of using on my drums. Ambassador, Controlled Sound and Powerstroke3 for tom batters are my choice. All single ply. If I need a 2 ply, Emperor.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:01 AM

Hi this is my first post here and I thought this is a good thread to start with because just yesterday after 26 years of playing Remo my $ will no longer go to them, it will go to Evans! I just bought a Starclassic Performer and it had g1 and g2s on it that right out of the box were right on! Now maybe its the drums......and maybe not but yesterday I went to the drumshop and got some coated g2s and fell more in love with them and I got an EMAD clear bass drum head and took the muffle ring out and got the best bass drum sound I ever had!!
Old 03-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Like Matthew 7:21 I have played Remo heads for the past thirty some years and I have just changed to the Evans G2 coated heads. They are holding up great and the coating seems to be more durable and they sound every bit as good as the Remo Coated Emperos. I am very pleased.