DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM
Administrator

Default Stick Grip Product

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/var...ant%5Fid=38051

I found this product in Ace Hardware that is used for coating tool handles, etc. and decided to try it on some sticks instead of tapes and other products. I bought the 14 ounce can which is approximately 6 inches tall, and the process is just opening the can, stirring the product, and slowly dipping the stick in the can and slowly pulling it out. I put paper clips around the tips first and then after removing from the rubber product, and letting them drip into the can for a while, I hung them on the clothes line in the garage to drip on some paper. They dry completely in four hours. It also appears that I could do all of the sticks I own with one 8 dollar can. I will post picture tomorrow to show the final result. The first pair I did are dry and they feel great, and didnt add significant weight and maybe 1/100th of inch to the diameter if that, I couldn't feel the difference. It is also sold in several colors if that is important. Stay Tuned.

Edit...this product looks like paint but has just enough grip to it. In the second picture you can see some of the product dripping off of the butt end of the stick, but i took a Qtip and just wiped it off.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 03-30-2007 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:28 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Stick Grip Product

I've seen stuff like this before, but I was afraid that it would cause blisters - much like the zildjian dip sticks........

I'm sure it would work for most though, I might even try it....

Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Old 03-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Thats a sweet idea....You could even get some sand a sprinkle on it while its wet.....but that might cause some problems.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

That's an awesome idea G! You're definately saving $$ by going that route instead of buying those "dip" sticks like Zildjian sells. I normally don't use grip tape or sticks along this line because my hands are like an alligator they're so dry (LOL)!

Definately keep us posted on how the final product turns out.

birch
Old 03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Administrator

The website for the product mentioned some grit material could be mixed in with the product but I can see that gritty stuff coming off and being everywhere except where it belongs. The pair I picked up this morning have not lost any balance and the one coat is so thin you dont notice any thickness at all, but you can feel that it just wants to stay in your hand. I have not played with them yet but will do so this afternoon.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Great idea for a mod!

I used the same exact product for this purpose a few weeks ago, black color. It worked good at first, but started peeling off the sticks before long. While it lasts, though, it works great - excellent grip and absolutely no discernible effect on balance, feel or weight.

I think this stuff is coming off because the sticks are polished. I am thinking about re-doing the application, but first using sandpaper to roughen up the stick a bit so the rubber adheres better.

I also brushed the material on, as I had about two-thirds of a can (I use it in other places on the drumset and around the house) and I wanted to coat about 40 percent of the stick, basically all the lower half, and the can isn't deep enough. The material is like really thick paint and cleans up well with mineral spirits.

I think brushing may result in a thinner layer, which is more prone to peeling off the stick. I think that by dipping, you'd get a really thick coat that would be tougher and adhere better.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:37 AM
Administrator

Well I played for about two hours this evening with a pair of my dipped 5A's and not even the first hint of a slip.

DMG...I think if you had enough to do the slow dip process that they recommend as opposed to a brush you may have had better results. Time will tell if these last for any time at all keeping in mind that I'm playing 60's rock and some smooth jazz and some blues and not smashing them like some metal players. I just got tired of the tapes I was using and this product is so thin after one coat that you can barely feel it on the stick and yet there is no slippage. So to this point I an happy with my experiment. I may let the manufacture know of my attempt and see if they have any interest in putting the product in a little deeper but narrower container for our purpose. Thanks for your feedback and interest. I have enjoyed your DIY posts in the past.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Well I played for about two hours this evening with a pair of my dipped 5A's and not even the first hint of a slip.

DMG...I think if you had enough to do the slow dip process that they recommend as opposed to a brush you may have had better results. Time will tell if these last for any time at all keeping in mind that I'm playing 60's rock and some smooth jazz and some blues and not smashing them like some metal players. I just got tired of the tapes I was using and this product is so thin after one coat that you can barely feel it on the stick and yet there is no slippage. So to this point I an happy with my experiment. I may let the manufacture know of my attempt and see if they have any interest in putting the product in a little deeper but narrower container for our purpose. Thanks for your feedback and interest. I have enjoyed your DIY posts in the past.
I think you are right, I am painting it on in a thin layer and it's coming off because it needs to be thicker. I will try dipping now.

One question about dipping: The amount of stick you can cover will get smaller each time you dip. How do you deal with that?
Old 03-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Administrator

Absolutely correct. I am going to try and find some disposable, smaller diameter containers at work. I thought about that as I was dipping. I work at a hospital and may be able to find something in our lab.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:04 PM
Pioneer Member

right now i use wax -- which i love the stickiness however it tends to wear off fast and i have to reapply all the time - especially on my polished sticks. Have you used wax and how does the dip compare to it?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Absolutely correct. I am going to try and find some disposable, smaller diameter containers at work. I thought about that as I was dipping. I work at a hospital and may be able to find something in our lab.
That's a good idea, but because the material is so sticky, I think you'd lose a lot of it between transfers and pouring, unless you did a lot of scraping, which would be very messy.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Elvis, I havent used any waxes. I always used some kind of tape and most of those tend to peel at some point. I figure the wax would come off in your hands at some point. This product being rubber has some stretch to it so it should take some knocking without coming off. I just did two more pair, but sanded down the butt end first to see if it adheres any better. Only time will tell if this was worth the effort. I guess thats what DIY, and experimenting is all about.

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 04-05-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Here is a shot of my arsenal. I think all manufacturers are represented from My Manhattan
7A's down to the Rikki Rockett Bottle Rocketts. They feel great when playing and I haven't quite used half of the product yet.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2007, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Here is a shot of my arsenal. I think all manufacturers are represented from My Manhattan
7A's down to the Rikki Rockett Bottle Rocketts. They feel great when playing and I haven't quite used half of the product yet.
Looks very good!

When you dip, do you tilt the can as needed to extend the reach of the material? That would help compensate for the fact that you have a little less each time you do it. I'm goign to try dipping this weekend. All of the stuff I painted on has peeled off now.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

ive got the zildjian dip sticks and they give me SO many blisters, but once you get around the blisters, they are so much better then regular wood sticks

Old 04-01-2007, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Looks very good!

When you dip, do you tilt the can as needed to extend the reach of the material? That would help compensate for the fact that you have a little less each time you do it. I'm goign to try dipping this weekend. All of the stuff I painted on has peeled off now.
The last few pairs I tilted the can and spun the stick being careful not to touch the edge of the can.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

have you noticed any blisters? defenately does not sound fun. Also, i noticed a few of the dips (like on the regal) the dip does not seem to make it to the fulcrum point of the stick -- where your thumb and first finger meet -- was that intentional?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator

No sign of blisters after about three days of playing. I am playing matched grip and so far all of the sticks have enough product on them to fit my hand. Again this product is just a thin coat of rubber, more like paint, you dont even know its there except for the fact that they don't slip out of your hand. Its not thick like grip tape.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Platinum Member

I have been playing for almost two weeks now with dipped sticks. I removed all the painted-on material and re-did the sticks by dipping and tipping the container and rolling the sticks around to get uniform coverage. It took some finesse, but the diminishing amount of material doesn't affect the coverage area as long as I roll the sticks carefully.

These do abrade my hands a lot more than varnished wood and a feel a bit of a sting after a half-hour straight practice session. I could see if someone wasn't used to this material and started playing four hours a day, they'd get some mean blisters. My calluses have gotten noticeably thicker in just 10 days. But the sticks absolutely stay put and the material is holding, but I can tell it's wearing down (not as shiny) in the areas where it rubs against the skin the most.

In all, a great idea for a DIY project that's cheap and easy and produces a big benefit.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 PM
IDDrummer

If you guys have an archery shop around you, you could get dip tubes for finishing arrows. It's basically just a long narrow tube with a screw-on cap for preserving the leftovers. They come in different lengths.

If you can't find them locally, here is a link.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListThumb.asp?offset=0

I think the dip tubes would work well on your sticks.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Well as luck would have it, one of the engineers here at the hospital gave me an old pyrex, 50 cc beaker, about 8 inches tall and an inch in diameter. I will put some of the Plastik Dip in the beaker and try another pair, just to see if something that narrow will work. But all in all so far I am pleased with how this little DIY project turned out. I wasn't in the market for producing a product for public use but only to try it for myself and pass along my results with my fellow drumming brethern.

DMG I will take your final comment as a compliment since thats all this experiment was intended to do. Drum on.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Well it has been a month since I started this little DIY project and to date nothing negative to report. No peeling, or cracking, or dropped sticks. I have been able to do ride playing with just my thumb and middle finger on the stick and not one bit of slip. And there have been no blisters. I will admit that I am not a hard or heavy player nor do I do a lot of rim shots. I would assume rim shots would be on that part of the sticks that are covered in the Plasti Kote product. I was even able to do some cross-sticking and get a sound not much unlike a nude stick. All in all I feel that this was a success and well worth the time and money spent. I covered about 8 pair of sticks, maybe more, and still had product left in the can. If this helped anyone other than myself then I am pleased. If you haven't tried it give it a try if you would like. Be able to control the thickness by the number of coats dipped, and how far up the stick to put the product seemed more advantageous to me than buying sticks already dipped by the manufacturer. Peace.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:05 PM
Pioneer Member

very cool. I think i will have to try this as well. I recently read that now ProMark now has a special coating on one of their sticks that is supposed to enhance grip. I dont know anything about it but it does not look like the dip that you are using or that zildjian uses.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Administrator

I would bet that what they are using is a bit more dilute and thinner than what I used. I'm going to see what is used to thin this product and try a pair or two with a thinner coat. Way back in the day I use to sand down my new sticks to get the slick off, but I'll try this for a bit longer and see.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

UPDATE...Well friends its been two months since I started this thread and I will report that I have been using a set of 5A and one set of Vater 7A Manhattan and there has been no cracking, peeling, or chipping of the product and no blisters or injuries to report. All in all a good idea I think if anyone else would care to try. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:05 PM
larlev

I'm trying it today......
Old 07-29-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
UPDATE...Well friends its been two months since I started this thread and I will report that I have been using a set of 5A and one set of Vater 7A Manhattan and there has been no cracking, peeling, or chipping of the product and no blisters or injuries to report. All in all a good idea I think if anyone else would care to try. Thanks.
ill try it.

what i did before was use electical pvc tape which is good, and cheap but then i used tennis racket grip tape and aint leavin home without it.

Additionally i do the billy ward style hump thing with layers of the electrical tape underneath the tennis grip tape..actually a 4 finger custom grip. Its really comfortable and i definately play better.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:42 PM
fourstringdrums

That looks similar to a product that I'm going to be adding to Handidrummed. The owner emailed me the other day www.drumstickstuff.com Although I think it's more expensive than the stuff that you bought. But I don't know if there are any differences in its feel or durability.
Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Administrator

That is similar but twice the price I paid for what I used. It is water based though so that may be to some advantage as far as cleanup.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:04 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
That is similar but twice the price I paid for what I used. It is water based though so that may be to some advantage as far as cleanup.
Yeah, and like I said, there may be differences in feel and how it bonds to the stick. I should ask him the differences between his product and the one you're using.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Its been since March and I have just retired my first pair of sticks with the blue coating on them. In fact it started to peel where my fingers rubbed on the front edge. I took an exacto knife and slit the material length-wise and it came off in one clean piece ready to be coated again. So for 5 months playing every single day for about 2 hours this product held up very well. Thanks for reading.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
I've seen stuff like this before, but I was afraid that it would cause blisters - much like the zildjian dip sticks........

I'm sure it would work for most though, I might even try it....
Ya iv seen similar products at the hardware store but i was worried it would cause madass blisters like the zildgian dips do to my hand
Old 09-02-2007, 04:48 PM

the vaters look like they were made that way
Old 12-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Platinum Member

GD, how is your coating holding up? It has come off my sticks. I think I will try it again and use three or more coats. When I see factory sticks with this coating, it is much thicker.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Just noticed this, sorry. It did start to peel back where my fingers rested on the front most area. I took an exacto knife and ran it around the circumference of the stick and made a new edge. I need to make the area larger so that the end spot is not where my fingers rest, in other words further toward the tip. But the end of the stick and middle is still there. I have done a few more pairs since that first batch since I am trying other size sticks.
Old 12-08-2007, 01:29 AM
Silver Member

Scott, one of our instructors here, dips all his drum keys so when he accidentially drops them on his BD, it doesn't scratch or dent the finish. Works very well.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Administrator

I like that idea. A dipping I will go. Look out keys, here I come.

Great idea Shane....Here you go.

Not only do they protect the drums if dropped, they are also much easier to hold. Especially for us old dudes with bad hands.

And Rob I may suggest it for some disadvantaged or special needs drummers.
Attached Images

Last edited by GRUNTERSDAD; 12-13-2007 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

looks like you are a Big Dog fanatic..lol :p. looks neat. i might have to try that. especially with my marching sticks.

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks. This stuff looks just right. Or the stuff from Stickstuff. I play fairly hard and I sweat and that combined with the usual stresses of live playing . . . this ought to do the trick.

And no effect on weight or balance of the stick?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:16 AM

Tried them all, wrap, gloves, dipped, Hex shaped, snot, powder's, even the hump/bump $15.00 sticks. Didn't like any of them." Self promo time". That's right had to make my own JimiGrips- DRUM STICK GRIPS ! at http://www.drumstickgrips.com/

Seen at http://www.youtube.com/drummerjimi

Last edited by Drummerjimi; 03-28-2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: YouTube not allowed ?