DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 AM

Default Beatnik

Has anyone used this Beatnik Device? I saw an ad for it in Modern Drummer and I'm intrigued, but It's pricey and I'd like some info before I buy. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks! :-)
Old 07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Beatnik

do you have a photo or a link etc???? or are you spamming and forgot the link???
Old 07-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD
or are you spamming and forgot the link???
haha. that would be priceless
Old 07-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Just don't try searching Beatnik into google images. You might get some odd pictures of yours truly in a beret with a goatee...
Old 07-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Administrator

That too would be priceless....
Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Prepare to be priced out:

Old 07-06-2006, 08:57 PM

Not a spammer, sorry if I disappointed you :-p ...I'm a drummer in the Army Band and I just found this site and thought it would be cool to get some feedback on this thing. The Link is: http://www.tuners.com/beatnik.asp. A descrpition is listed on MusiciansFriend.com and on Amazon.com....but like I siad, I was looking for people who have actually used it before, I don't want to buy it if it's all hype and works like crap.

Thanks again
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

It looks like a lot for what it is, I can't say I've used it but I know Roland make a similar device that retails for a lot less money.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Pioneer Member

Hm, I didn't think I would of found a thread on this device.

Well anyway, I broke my drumometer a month ago, and one of my mom's friends is in the states and she sent us an email and said she found this device called the 'Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer', and she talked to the guys who owned the music store, the Birmingham Percussion Center, and they said, in their opinion, that it was better than the drumometer for the money you have to spend - it sits at $139.99 U.S. Apparently, this item does everything the drumometer does and more and is supposed to be the hot thing right now.

"The Beatnik Rhythmic Analyzer helps increase accuracy and feel in ways never before possible. Each one of Beatnik's multiple analyzers evaluates a unique aspect of your timing and rhythmic skills. Multiple views of the timing data instantly reveal technical strengths and weaknesses to help you instantly analyze your technical precision and speed up your progress toward total rhythmic fluency and accuracy. After you set the desired rhythm on the built-in metronome, simply start the playback and strike the touch-sensitive practice pad. Beatnik s large graphic display shows a visual representation of every stroke in real time and records every stroke in a viewable archive, with pinpoint accuracy to the nearest 512th note where your strokes occurred in relation to the actual beat. For evaluating and improving your rhythm and timing performance, nothing compares to the Beatnik!Multiple built-in accuracy analyzers each measure different aspects of your rhythmic and timing accuracy.Multiple views of stroke timing data instantly reveal insight into your dynamics, rhythm, and timing control.Records and displays stroke history for reviewing summaries of your stroke timing data.Tracking analyzer helps you improve transitions between changing subdivisions while maintaining consistent rhythm and correct timing. You can switch freely between any subdivision and Beatnik tracks your playing, displaying the timing and..."

I don't plan on buying it but I thought I'd let other people know who might be interested.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM

I own it.

I also own the year before last's model of the Roland Rhythm Coach.(before the unit had different snare sounds).

Differences:

-The Beatnik feels more like a practice pad. The Roland has a surface you can tune to your liking

-The Beatnik's triggers will show tempo inconsistencies, when all you are doing is playing @ the edge of the pad

-The Beatnik is more versatile in regards to setting up permutations and marching-style patterns

-The Beatnik will display / beep 32nds, easily setup to count 5s/7s. The Roland will not count 32nds, but can be setup for 5s/7s if you read the manual

-The Beatnik is a KILLER time keeper. Don't expect to have a good percentage at the "H" level. I consider myself pretty solid, and I've rarely scored above 65-70% when @ tempos less than 40

-Beatnik is lighter / easier to get in a comfortable playing position for me

-I like the ability to track dynamics on a visual scale (Beatnik)

-I love the in front/behind function; it allows one to see exactly where you are in relation to the beats...one of my weaknesses is the ability to play ahead of the the groove consistently

-Cheaper than Roland, but I'm liking it more and more

If you have specific Qs, fire away.

SRJ
Old 03-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Platinum Member

I tried the Beatnik out on Monday. It's actually pretty cool. I always thought it was just a practice pad with an attached metronome, but it is much more! I love the way it shows how accurate you really are. What an eye opener! I love that the pad is quiet, unlike my practice pad which sounds like I'm hitting hard plastic. The Beatnik is also quieter than my Roland pads. In the future, I'd like the Beatnik to have a trigger input for a kick trigger so you can do the same work with your feet. I think it is real expensive though. At half the price it'd be extremely hard to pass up, but I'm debating whether it's really worth it at the current cost. I know that I would get a lot of use out of it. I would probably use it mostly at night when I can just veg out in front of the TV tapping away without waking my kids or driving my wife next to me crazy. :)

The guy at my local shop said I could borrow it for a night to test it out some more. I may take him up on the offer.