DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:55 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Well, I think its about time I posted some kit pics, so here goes.......

Heres a nice side view of the kit:


Heres a sort of drivers seat view:


Heres an overhead view:


Specs:

Drums - Mapex M Birch, transparent cherry red
10" 12" 13" + 16" toms
20" x 18" bass
14" x 5" snare

Cymbals - Zildjian planet z (i know....., but i like them)
16" crash
20" ride
14" hats with a 12" spash inside which greatly improves the sound.
also:
18" zbt china
12" wuhan china

mapex hardware and double pedal.
remo heads
vater sticks
protection racket cases.

please let me know what you think.

oh, also heres a random picture of some of the stuff I have had autographed over the years at clinics:
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)

Last edited by fijjibo; 03-21-2007 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Broken Links
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
TitanSound's Avatar
TitanSound TitanSound is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

You just need the [img]inserthyperlinkhere[/img] tags to display the picture
__________________
"Sometimes I wake up at night and wonder where the hell the worlds going too"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
TopCat's Avatar
TopCat TopCat is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Up river
Posts: 1,294
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

*edit - too late

Big pics, nice drums and a messy bedroom. Good combo.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:01 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
*edit - too late

Big pics, nice drums and a messy bedroom. Good combo.
Ha Ha, yeah, the rooms not messy, its "organised chaos"

lol

cheers.
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
kung_f00's Avatar
kung_f00 kung_f00 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 528
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

That 10" tom makes me a little sad, cos' I think it desperately wants to hang out with the 12" and 13" toms, but it seems shy.

Hopefully you get the allusion and I don't come off sounding like an idiot. But yeah, try repositioning the hats so you can get the 10" in line with the others. I'd also suggest getting rid of those Z's, but I'm sure you're saving up for better cymbals.

I dig the finish (red stains finishes scream absolute class), and I like the positioning of that Wuhan. I see more and more guys with the 3-up 1-down setup doing that, and it seems to work well for them.
__________________
When in doubt, bring the funk...

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
That 10" tom makes me a little sad, cos' I think it desperately wants to hang out with the 12" and 13" toms, but it seems shy.

Hopefully you get the allusion and I don't come off sounding like an idiot. But yeah, try repositioning the hats so you can get the 10" in line with the others. I'd also suggest getting rid of those Z's, but I'm sure you're saving up for better cymbals.

I dig the finish (red stains finishes scream absolute class), and I like the positioning of that Wuhan. I see more and more guys with the 3-up 1-down setup doing that, and it seems to work well for them.
Yeah, the 10" inch is like that because its what is comfy for me, and this way I can lower the hi hats and pull them in, cos I cant play open handed and fast at the same time.....

so its like that for a reason, and im also a big fan of Nicko McBrains style, so it just came naturally.

I am saving up for better bronze, im thinking Zildjian K's....
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Hey, you went to see Pete Lockett? That guy is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure to come across. He did a show at my college and then did a free masterclass a few weeks later, to which I was invited even though I wasn't supposed to go. It was great, a genuinely lovely and intelligent guy.

The kit has a lot of potential, but there are improvements to be made, you know what they are. The Pete Lockett ticket gets you enough kudos.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:28 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Hey, you went to see Pete Lockett? That guy is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure to come across. He did a show at my college and then did a free masterclass a few weeks later, to which I was invited even though I wasn't supposed to go. It was great, a genuinely lovely and intelligent guy.

The kit has a lot of potential, but there are improvements to be made, you know what they are. The Pete Lockett ticket gets you enough kudos.
Yeah, I saw him a year ago, and he is a real nice bloke. I was lucky enough to get his autograph, but unfortunately he stole my marker....
....so did Billy Cobham.....

What would you suggest as improvements? I would like to hear...

oh, you mean the cymbals?
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Nice looking set, very space efficient with good sound options. Looks really ergonomic how your snare is at the same angle as the toms. You have a lot packed into a relatively small area and obviously have thought this through very carefully. You could upgrade the cymbals and have a pro-level set.

But was the wood for the shells sustainably harvested? (Just kidding)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
But was the wood for the shells sustainably harvested? (Just kidding)
LOL, funny you should say that DMC, ive just gone back to that thread, read your response to the comment I had made, an I stand corrected.

read it please, ive made the edit on my original comment...
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2007, 10:42 AM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Actually I have some questions on improvements the I would like to ask....

Apart from cymbals, what would you recommend as an upgrade?

By the way, this kit is quite new, so the stock heads are still on the toms, but ive got pinstripes coming.....

Im thinking about a nice DW pedal, like the 7000 series double pedal...
(my old mapex is about two years old and in bad shape)

Thanks in advance.
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Actually I have some questions on improvements the I would like to ask....

Apart from cymbals, what would you recommend as an upgrade?

By the way, this kit is quite new, so the stock heads are still on the toms, but ive got pinstripes coming.....

Im thinking about a nice DW pedal, like the 7000 series double pedal...
(my old mapex is about two years old and in bad shape)

Thanks in advance.
Well, since you ask, I would suggest the following. Your kit is very good and these are mainly cosmetic changes:

Coated heads. I never did like looking at the inside of a drum.

Get rid of the duct tape. No duct tape should ever be visible anywhere on the set. Use thicker heads or muffling rings instead

Yes, DW7000 pedals would be good.

I'd like to see a photo from farther away. Maybe your room is too small so take one for us the next time you have a gig.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,110
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Why Pinstripes?.........20
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:50 PM
Ogg's Avatar
Ogg Ogg is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cornwall, England
Posts: 41
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

What excellent taste you have in drumkits mate :).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Class A Drummer's Avatar
Class A Drummer Class A Drummer is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 4,218
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Big setup. Good stuff, Isnt that 12" wuhan just amazing?
__________________
"If they tell you no pain no gain... shoot them." -Jim Chapin
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2007, 12:28 AM
thumper's Avatar
thumper thumper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: vancouver bc canada
Posts: 471
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Depending on the sound you want from you kit-if you like a more resonant clear sound, I'd go with Evans G2 clears, but if you prefer a more "fatter" muted sound (with out using tape and crap) I recommend Aquarian Powerstroke 2's....You could probably make those stock skins work if they were tuned properly. Myself, I use a Drum Dial tuner, and it makes all the difference in the world. (I never could tune by ear)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2007, 02:40 AM
d.c.drummer's Avatar
d.c.drummer d.c.drummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,568
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

I wont tell you what i thought those tape patches were at first.... looks nice!
__________________
Take a look at my new stuff. http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25183
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:38 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Well, since you ask, I would suggest the following. Your kit is very good and these are mainly cosmetic changes:

Coated heads. I never did like looking at the inside of a drum.

Get rid of the duct tape. No duct tape should ever be visible anywhere on the set. Use thicker heads or muffling rings instead

Yes, DW7000 pedals would be good.

I'd like to see a photo from farther away. Maybe your room is too small so take one for us the next time you have a gig.
Thanks man - coated heads are cool, maybe coated emporers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Why Pinstripes?.........20
I like the sound of pinstripes - i used them on my old kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogg View Post
What excellent taste you have in drumkits mate :).
Yeah - I just looked and your kit, what a beauty...
SNAP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer View Post
Big setup. Good stuff, Isnt that 12" wuhan just amazing?
.....and the price too..... 12 - and it sounds nicer than the 200 ones....

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Depending on the sound you want from you kit-if you like a more resonant clear sound, I'd go with Evans G2 clears, but if you prefer a more "fatter" muted sound (with out using tape and crap) I recommend Aquarian Powerstroke 2's....You could probably make those stock skins work if they were tuned properly. Myself, I use a Drum Dial tuner, and it makes all the difference in the world. (I never could tune by ear)
The stock skins are ok - but I reckon that I should try the Aquarians - cheers for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d.c.drummer View Post
I wont tell you what i thought those tape patches were at first.... looks nice!
lol! ????? cheers.
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Thanks man - coated heads are cool, maybe coated emporers?



I like the sound of pinstripes - i used them on my old kit.
I don't know enough about your drums to suggest what kinds. I use Fiberskyns, which are thicker, to control overtones as that is a particular problem with my drums. Thicker heads on your drums might choke them, however. But if you are finding you have to put tape on your drums to control ring, then maybe something thicker like coated Emperors or Pinstripes would be good.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2007, 04:56 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

I think that maybe pinstripes might be a safe choice, but id really have to test them....

Fiberskyns?

i like the idea of them...

are they actually skin heads?
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:04 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
I think that maybe pinstripes might be a safe choice, but id really have to test them....

Fiberskyns?

i like the idea of them...

are they actually skin heads?
Fiberskyns are designed to replicate the mellower sound of actual hide. Fiberskyns come in FD (Diplomat weight), FA (Ambassador weight) and FE (Emperor weight). I use FAs.

They basically get one of those heads and bond plastic fibers to it. The fibers replicate the look, feel and behavior of actual protein fibers in real hide. All the benefits of hide with none of the drawbacks. I'm sure Evans, Aquarian, etc. etc. make an equivalent product but I've always like Fiberskyns. They're also very striking in appearance. I use coated Ambassadors for resonants.

I do use a coated a Pinstripe for my snare batter as that seems to kill ring a bit more and my snare is under such high tension that I need an extra measure of muffling. I also put some of those foam rubber stick-ons by Gibraltar to snuff out even more ring. I like a dry sound.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:08 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Awesome - three questions:
1, Are they any good for rock?
2, are they much more expensive than normal tom heads?
3, Are they long lasting?
(I ask this as ive noticed that remo coating doesnt last very long..)
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
Awesome - three questions:
1, Are they any good for rock?
2, are they much more expensive than normal tom heads?
3, Are they long lasting?
(I ask this as ive noticed that remo coating doesnt last very long..)
1. I don't know as I play world fusion. You could probably use them for rock but I'd think a Pinstripe or Emperor or other manufacturer's equivalent would give you a more traditional rock sound. Fiberskyn sounds like real live (dead?) hide and that sound may be too mellow for rock.

2. They cost the same as other heads.

3. They are somewhat less durable, particularly under heavy hitting. The fibers start coming apart - again, much like a real animal hide. I get years out of them but I play with light sticks and use technique, not force, to get volume.

I also find the appearance of Fiberskyns complements my shells. My drums have a primitive quality to them and the look of hide goes well with that.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

OK - cool,

I think that I should maybe stick with some pinstripes.

I will however try a fiberskyn on my jazz snare, cos im dying to try one anyway lol

thanks.
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-26-2007, 05:22 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

New update:

Im thinking of putting my 10" back to where it should naturally be, but i might have some problems getting the hihat in close and low where I like it....

any suggestions of how I could work it out?

and pictures might help explain....

cheers
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijjibo View Post
New update:

Im thinking of putting my 10" back to where it should naturally be, but i might have some problems getting the hihat in close and low where I like it....

any suggestions of how I could work it out?

and pictures might help explain....

cheers
If you move your 10-inch lower and closer, you're going to move aside the hats. I assume you play crossed, so that would make it harder to play the hihat unless you raised the hihat. How about if you shifted all your toms over a couple of inches to the right? That would free up some room for the 10 incher.

The only way I could see to get it to work out would be to lower the snare, but that would change a whole bunch of other things.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 PM
fijjibo's Avatar
fijjibo fijjibo is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: MK, ENGLAND
Posts: 1,487
Default Re: Fijjibo's Monster!!!!

Cool, thanks.

If you check out my myspace or vids on youtube, you will be able to see how I had it set-up before, but I wanted to lower the hats.......

...I didnt want to have to play like travis barker.......

ill play around with setup tonight and let you know how I worked it out....

cheers
__________________
My site!!!


Im back (unofficialy) with Pro.Mark Drumsticks. (TX5ABW)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com