DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-01-2006, 03:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Engineering Project

Ah, my engineering/acoustic project.
Its 6 inches off the grounds. Inside of it is a whole bunch of rolled up carpet, carpet padding, pillows, etc.
Better view of the whole thing.

Looks brand new! I polished everything, did all the maintenance work, and tuned everything this week. Lots and lots of manhours.

Overall, it soundproofs my room a lot. Its not nearly as bad as it used to be downstairs.

It is a 6x6 foot platform. It has somewhere between 20-30 legs, and is COMPLETELY stable. I jusmped up and down on this with my dad and it didnt even make a sound downstairs, and it didnt wobble.

Also, one really cool thing about this is that you can unbolt it and take it in about 8 different peices. I can take it anywhere I want, and it will only take about 15 minutes to unbolt everything and pack it up.

Additional soundproofing includes the thick carpet padding on top of the platform and the carpet over it. It also make everything look really cool and almost professional.

Im sure most of you saw my old thread about my drums: Yamaha Beech Custom, 12, 13,16,22, 14inch Steve Gadd Snare. EC2s, Evans Glass Resos, Powercenter snare head, Evans 300 snare side head, Puresound BLASTERS snares.

I felt that this was more of a modification/engineering project thread, and that others might post their own modifications, but if the mods merge my two threads, I wont mind.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Engineering Project

Very nice!!! Those Beech Customs are simply amazing drums, with equally amazing finishes! I'm digging that Z Custom just hanging out right above the ride, interesting placement. I usually place my 18"+ crashes to the right of the ride, for nice, heavy accents and transitions.

That 6" platform looks very sturdy, too, and quite well-made. Well done!
Old 02-01-2006, 08:33 AM
Senior Administrator

awesome...another tinkerer on the site. nothing is better than home made that is well made.

you should consider taking orders and selling risers. how much did it all cost? how long did it take.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-01-2006, 11:54 AM

Off the hook man. Can you give us more details about how you built it? I would be interested in building one for myself.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Pioneer Member

Me and my dad built it in sections. It took about 2 weeks to build the whole thing. I dont know the exact size of each platform, but ill ask as soon as I get home today.

Nutha, I dont think it cost too much really. Most of it is just plywood, bolts, carpet padding, and cheap carpet.

Ill have more info later, since my dad built most of it and i just helped, but if you have any specific questions, ill be interested.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:09 PM

Looks nice

I tought about building something like this myself (also with the help of my dad ^^), but I'm just too lazy

Oh and franklinj, I REALLY love your signature ^^
Old 02-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticksman
Very nice!!! Those Beech Customs are simply amazing drums, with equally amazing finishes! I'm digging that Z Custom just hanging out right above the ride, interesting placement. I usually place my 18"+ crashes to the right of the ride, for nice, heavy accents and transitions.

That 6" platform looks very sturdy, too, and quite well-made. Well done!
Iknow i know! And to think, I got all the drums and hardware for $900. Prett frikkin sweet deal.
As for the placement of my crash, i watched Billy Wards video, and took some tidbits from it (about the whole cymbal placement thing). I used to have it where you put it, but I changed it and I really like it. Its also very easy to get the best sound out of it when its over there.

It is a very sturdy platofrm. The legs are actually on hinges so that the more weight that pushes down on them, the flatter they go. I think these legs are in the middle. since that is where most of the weight is.

Sorry about the bad pics, but my room is so small that its hard to take good pictures. Anyways, I think you get the picture.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:44 PM

i like the cymbal setup
Old 02-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Pioneer Member

What, no one else has made anything to muffle their room or enhance the sound or anything? Id like to see some other ideas so that I might make them...

Coming soon, homemade soundshield.....oooh yeah
Old 08-07-2006, 11:18 AM

is it just a platform thing or does it do something? does it reduce noice? how? looks kewl... hmm... very attempting
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Chip

Quote:
What, no one else has made anything to muffle their room or enhance the sound or anything? Id like to see some other ideas so that I might make them...
I have heavy curtains, and I might put egg cartons up (they reduce the sound a bit). Ear protection is all I need to make my kit sound better.

Edit: By the way, that is cool! Good kit too (it does look brand new), the only thing I don't like is the wonky bass drum patches, hehe. It's just a little thing I have, everything on the drums must be as perfect as I can get it... S' a shame I saw this now... I'm making a snare [at school], but I doubt I would've had time for one of these. Good idea for a future project, though. Nice job, again!
Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow, what a bump!

Yeah, me and my dad were actually planning on making a sound shield, but then we realized it would just deflect all the sound towards my brothers room or to our neighbors house.

I have some new pics if anyones interested. Nothing has really changed, except for a new set up and a cowbell. I will be adding on to my cymbal collection soon enough though. its going to have a few surprises in it.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Pioneer Member

nice intresting set up.. like the look of the finish !
Old 03-27-2007, 03:37 AM
Pioneer Member

That looks like a really good idea! Different than mine, but cool nonetheless.

The hinged leg is directly in the middle of the platform, and it works in a way that when more weight is applied, the leg gets flatter. Thats where the drumset and my throne (with me on it, of course) is, so that needs to be the most durable and strong part. I dont have any pics of that, sovvy.

Wow, my set up has changed so much since then, its weird seeing my set like this...looks a bit noobish lol.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 AM

Like flatter how? is there like three hinges on a solid post so that it acordians? Or is it two hinges top and bottom so that the stage moves diagonally? Or is the leg rubber and just smooshes down? or is there a slider on one end of a two hinge system? I just can't quite picture it.....?
Old 03-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernencoff View Post
Like flatter how? is there like three hinges on a solid post so that it acordians? Or is it two hinges top and bottom so that the stage moves diagonally? Or is the leg rubber and just smooshes down? or is there a slider on one end of a two hinge system? I just can't quite picture it.....?
The top of a wooden leg is attatched to a pretty sturdy hinge. Usually, the hinge is so strong that it doesnt want to be closed all the way, but when weight is put onto it, the hinge straightens out and stays there. It sounds confusing, I know, but I cant really explain it any better.

Ill try to get a pic of if sometimes, but thats doubtful as id have to move everything off of the platform just to get some decent pics.