DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Default bass drum lift?

hello

I'm just curious, but what are you thoughts about bass drum lifts? are they only usable on 18 and smaller bass drums? are they only for making beater hit the drum head in the center? are they vital for small bass drums?

cheers
Old 03-11-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: bass drum lift?

Most applications involve wanting to get the beater to strike the center of the drum, with some being twofold in that the design makes it easy to convert a 16" or 18" floor tom into a kick drum without modification of the floor tom. Modification usually always leading to a de-valued drum on the resale market. Vital? That depends. If your 18" kick is a kick (born and raised) no. If it's a floor tom, yes, probably vital to use a lift. Otherwise, how do you attach a kick pedal to a triple-flange hoop? My thoughts on lifts. I drive a 26x14 kick, so I don't really give bass drum lifts any thought.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 PM

any isn't it enough just to set the beater just a bit down so it will hit the bass drum in the center of a head? I know my english isn't perfect, so I hope you understand... you know, the beaters' height can be adjusted, I think...
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveyTare View Post
Isn't it enough just to set the beater just a bit down so it will hit the bass drum in the center of a head?
Changing the beater height will change the pedal's feel dramatically, just like moving your fulcrum changes the feel of the stick. Plus, if the beater rod is very long, the bottom end of the beater rod will hit, scratch and eventually destroy the batter head. This can be of course averted by sawing the excess off, but this might not always be a viable option.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Changing the beater height will change the pedal's feel dramatically, just like moving your fulcrum changes the feel of the stick. Plus, if the beater rod is very long, the bottom end of the beater rod will hit, scratch and eventually destroy the batter head. This can be of course averted by sawing the excess off, but this might not always be a viable option.
so, what is the right height of a beater? or is it just a personal thing?

and... puresound speedball and tama beaters have some kind of a counterweight. will it help?
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

I read somewhere that the beater should not hit dead in the middle but an inch or two off center. I will find the article again.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
so, what is the right height of a beater? or is it just a personal thing?

and... puresound speedball and tama beaters have some kind of a counterweight. will it help?
The right height is totally a matter of personal preference. I like having the beater shaft just a couple of inches long and just a couple of inches from the drum head when resting. It makes the pedal very responsive - just a little movement from my foot translates into sound. The trade-off is it's not as loud, but I've been playing for 24 years and I've never, ever heard anyone ask a drummer to play louder - but very often the opposite.

Some people have what I call the "Frankenstein configuration": The shaft is eight inches long and a foot or so away from the head. To me, it makes the pedal too slow and it tiring to play. However, it's much louder, although I think the drummer is the only person who would claim that's a good thing.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I read somewhere that the beater should not hit dead in the middle but an inch or two off center. I will find the article again.
should it be higher or lower than the center?

and are there any beaters made to fit 18 and 20 bass drums? do 20 bass drums need different beaters?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
hello

I'm just curious, but what are you thoughts about bass drum lifts? are they only usable on 18 and smaller bass drums? are they only for making beater hit the drum head in the center? are they vital for small bass drums?

cheers
Howy Avey!

I have been trying out the Danmar lift and like it! It is simple and a minimal investment. I would like to try out the DW version but, right now for what I need the lift for, this Danmar is perfect!

I also didn't want to change the beater as this changes the way the peadl feels.

http://www.danmarpercussion.com/

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=78564594
Old 03-24-2007, 10:45 PM

I have the DW drum riser, for me it was kind of a pain to set up at first or should I say "get set".
Due to my own stupidity mostly, after a breather I figured out I was trying to use the damn thing wrong LOL.
Anyways once I got it set where I liked it, no problmes what so ever, sturdy, easy to get the same results everytime.
Over the year and a half or so I have owned it I have used it maybe 2 dozen times for my 18" floor tom I converted (put bass drum heads on) to use as a bass drum.
I can't say much for the drum sound, but it does not move around much if any on that thing.