DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-08-2007, 07:01 AM
IDDrummer

Default ANyone compared a Flying Dragon DD and an Axis?

I'd like to know if anyone has played both the Flying Dragon direct drive and the Axis pedals. I'm interested to know if they feel at all alike. The only place I have to check out gear is the Guitar Center in Spokane, and they basically said they never get the Flying Dragon. They did have the Axis pedal, which felt very nice, but is out of my $ league $.

Basically I want to know if the Flying Dragon feels similar to the Axis. I'm kind of liking that direct drive system.

BTW, the other pedal that felt really good to me was the Pearl Eliminator, though it's not direct drive. Who'd a thunk it.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: ANyone compared a Flying Dragon DD and an Axis?

I'll bite. I thunk it 'cause I played all 3. First time I played the Axis had to be at least 15 years ago. I'm thinkin' the 91 NAMM show maybe. Liked it, but never enough to take one home. Saw the Yamaha FDDD a few years ago and fell in love with it right away, and bought 2 Yamaha singles. Voted with my dollar, so to speak. But I know a lot of cats who play the Axis. It's a good pedal, no doubt. Just not my personal cup-o-tea. Same with the Pearl. The Eliminator is a really nice pedal. The Yamaha just felt the best to me.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
I'll bite. I thunk it 'cause I played all 3. First time I played the Axis had to be at least 15 years ago. I'm thinkin' the 91 NAMM show maybe. Liked it, but never enough to take one home. Saw the Yamaha FDDD a few years ago and fell in love with it right away, and bought 2 Yamaha singles. Voted with my dollar, so to speak. But I know a lot of cats who play the Axis. It's a good pedal, no doubt. Just not my personal cup-o-tea. Same with the Pearl. The Eliminator is a really nice pedal. The Yamaha just felt the best to me.
Really? I have been thinking about trading in my IC's and getting some Flying Dragons. Do you reccomend them?

Peace
AGR
Old 03-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I have been thinking about trading in my IC's and getting some Flying Dragons.

AGR
If you have the chance to play both pedals "side-by-side", do it. I personally was not impressed with the Tama IC at all. And I've owned 2 other Tama pedals. Tama and DW both bought Camco, and from the old Camco chain drive pedal both companies have evolved their own. I owned a DW5000A3, very good pedal, the same time I was "road testing" my first Yamaha FDDD. Side by side for over a month. Finally, I sold the DW and bought a second Yamaha. I think the Pearl Eliminator plays better than the IC also. But that's just me. Only you can say what feels best to you.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 AM
IDDrummer

Thanks for the info. I'd still prefer to try before buying, but it sounds as if the Dragon is certainly a contender.

The clerk at GC told me that the response when playing doubles was slower with direct drive, but that didn't really make sense to me. His take on it was that the downstroke was quicker, but the upstroke was slower. I sure didn't notice that with the Axis.

Well, thanks again for the opinions.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Both the Axis and Yamaha are great pedals, but I would definitely go with the Yamaha FD's. I prefer the feel to them compared to the rest, plus they're very durable. A++ in my books.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Never seen them before this thread, but they look like a multiple-use system...comes with direct, chair, or strap...or so this reads.

http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/un...ng-dragons.php

For the price, it looks like a good deal for anyone who doesn't know which "fit" is best. Very well could be great for anything.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

i would say go with the axis.i own an a longboard double pedal and i love it.i have tried the yamaha FD D drive pedal and is a bit of play in the pedal.that does not exist in the axis pedals at all.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:00 PM

I would say don't bother with Axis longboards. Fill a tub full of mud, sit on the rim, and stomp your feet in it. Thats what it will feel like. The only real redeeming factor is the e-triggers, which are awesome. But if you want any sort of power, look towards Trick.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
BTW, the other pedal that felt really good to me was the Pearl Eliminator, though it's not direct drive. Who'd a thunk it.
seems like if it felt really good, it wouldnt matter what drive it was..
Old 03-24-2007, 07:58 AM
IDDrummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
seems like if it felt really good, it wouldnt matter what drive it was..
True, but it's really the Flying Dragon DD I'm trying to find out about, and I still haven't had a chance to try one. Doesn't look like I'm likely to, either. That's why I wanted to see if the Axis felt comparable, because the Axis is the only DD pedal I've had the chance to try.

Oh well.