DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 AM
Silver Member

Default avenged sevenfold debate

this is just to see how you guys feel about the new sound of avenged sevenfold. i personally love it. i never got into them before city of evil because i can't listen to music with a lot of screaming not to mention it seemed like they were holding back a lot where as now they seem to unleash all hell on the disk. m shadows is a fantastic singer, the rev is insane(not my type of drumming but still great), and of coursy synester gates is one of the greatest guitarists to come along since slash. any opinions?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: avenged sevenfold debate

I don't like them. Never had a taste for them, just not heavy enough for me... they don't seem real and raw the way I like my metal.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

as musicians, they are all very talented, and there music is pretty good, but as much as I try, I just cannot get over their personalities. nevertheless, they are in my collection of music, and I do listen to them from time to time.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:08 AM
Silver Member

what kind of heavy are you referring to?
Old 03-09-2007, 04:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe.ron View Post
this is just to see how you guys feel about the new sound of avenged sevenfold. i personally love it. i never got into them before city of evil because i can't listen to music with a lot of screaming not to mention it seemed like they were holding back a lot where as now they seem to unleash all hell on the disk. m shadows is a fantastic singer, the rev is insane(not my type of drumming but still great), and of coursy synester gates is one of the greatest guitarists to come along since slash. any opinions?
Not to sound rude, but do you listen to a lot of metal? There have been plenty of guitarists that FAR surpass Slash and A7X's guitarist. Granted he is one of the better guitarists on the radio nowadays (not counting studio musicians), but he is nowhere near as good as he is hyped up to be. Same goes for the rest of the members- many more creative and more technically gifted players have flown under the pop culture radar.

I have to agree w/ Mr. Pasquini on this one. Their sound has never striked me as unique. I prefer earlier thrash, black and death metal, but then again, thats just me.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:29 AM

Don't get me wrong, their really really good musicians and all but i don't think i would go out and buy their record. Even if i were to go buy their record, it would probably be one that i would listen to a couple songs off of and that would be it. The rev is a great drummer and their guitar player is really talented, but the music they make would be something that I would only want to listen to once in a while and its not something that would keep me interested for a long time. Before they made city of evil, i had never even heard of them at all.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 AM
Silver Member

i actually listen to a lot of metal i'm just not a fan of anything with screaming or the singer sounds like cookie monster, no offense. but gates has a certain sound thats strikes me a little differently i don't know why. i'm not saying they're the greatest band or anything but i'm comparing them to the loads of crap thats out today. and secondxheartbeat, you do know m shadows had vocal chord surgery right? anyway i kinda feel the same way about gym class heroes. their older stuff(for the kids and papercut chronicles) is amazing and i was let down alittle by the new album mostly due to fall out boy production but everyone loves this new cupids chokehold when its not even the real version and they have much much better songs. i too was/am a fan of punk music like the ramones the clash richard hell the damned television rancid op ivy all those bands, but tastes matured as my drummings evolved

Last edited by moe.ron; 03-09-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Pioneer Member

I think they're a gimmick. No offence to you if you like them, they can play their instruments, but I find the singer to be a fake. Thinks he's metal but does a terrible job. And what's with their nicknames....
Old 03-09-2007, 08:28 AM

Personaly im realy not sure where i stand with avenged sevenfold. Lol I defantly dont think the singers voice is that great, but for some reason i didnt mind it on the "Waking The Fallen " album. Basicaly that whole cd was put together great (each song) not necasarly the track's order. So i give them some credit for that cd but im not so big on their new stuff
Old 03-09-2007, 12:23 PM

very very talented band.

how ever i want to know why the guitarist and the singer did a song with good charlet...?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Gold Member

Look at my avatar. I'm a ridiculous Mastodon fan, and I love the sword. I like sludge and a muddy feeling, like you have to fight your way through the wall of sound. Something with a lot of bass and a heavy drum part. Meshuggah has it also and there are a few out there. It's a hard sound to make sound good, I think.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM

yeah i agree, their like the "posers" of the industry lol. and yeah, they arent rally heavy enough for my likings.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

people make the mistake of rating them based on metal. Base them on Punk metal.. and its plenty heavy. i love metal, but i hate cookie monsters. so i like them.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
Look at my avatar. I'm a ridiculous Mastodon fan, and I love the sword. I like sludge and a muddy feeling, like you have to fight your way through the wall of sound. Something with a lot of bass and a heavy drum part. Meshuggah has it also and there are a few out there. It's a hard sound to make sound good, I think.
i figured thats what you were talking about. are you an alice in chains or soundgarden fan? they sludge from time to time, especially alice in chains
Old 03-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Gold Member

Of course I like Alice! Now before I talk about it anymore, I do respect your liking of Avenged Sevenfold, they do have a few songs that are admittedly alright. I'm just not into the punk type scene. Everyone markets them as a very heavy band... or at least in my area, all these little kids wear A7X shirts and tell you that A7X is so hardcore and they have all the toughest music. It's got a lot to do with the crowd around here.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

i hate when little kids or these "poser" kids like a band because they're a new hit and think they're so hardcore. i do not like avenged sevenfold because they're "hardcore" i, like you, enjoy the music i listen to because i want to not because its whats in.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Of course I like Alice! Now before I talk about it anymore, I do respect your liking of Avenged Sevenfold, they do have a few songs that are admittedly alright. I'm just not into the punk type scene. Everyone markets them as a very heavy band... or at least in my area, all these little kids wear A7X shirts and tell you that A7X is so hardcore and they have all the toughest music. It's got a lot to do with the crowd around here.
I know how you feel man. When im listening to Exodus, Testament, or Malevolent Creation at school, a lot of kids ask what im listening to (and dont expect the answer since I dont look "metal" enough :>) ) . As soon as I say that, the kids start saying about how much better A7X is, and even how much more technically gifted they are. I cant stand it.

I think its just like Slipknot- the musics allright, but I cant stand the fans.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:29 PM

They're ok IMO. A little too mainstream for my tastes but the rhythm section for that band is quite good. Singer sounds like a whiny brat and I agree with franklinj thant there have been MANY guitarists to surpass A7X's guitarist. Slash is good but he's more of an icon from the 80's rock scene (and there is nothing wrong with that) and Velvet Revolver never should have happened. But what do I know, im more of a classic rock fan than anything else. Pink Floyd, AC/DC and Hendrix are my kind of performers...
Old 03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
I know how you feel man. When im listening to Exodus, Testament, or Malevolent Creation at school, a lot of kids ask what im listening to (and dont expect the answer since I dont look "metal" enough :>) ) . As soon as I say that, the kids start saying about how much better A7X is, and even how much more technically gifted they are. I cant stand it.

I think its just like Slipknot- the musics allright, but I cant stand the fans.
This metal looking thing is tough on me, too. I'm at a private school so most of the people are very preppy. I wear collared shirts most of the time just because it's what I have, everyone assumes I'm just another DMB fan because of it.

This is about to come an all around metal debate but let me pose a question
Am I the only one who constantly gets battered with statements like "Jack Johnson and DMB are better than all metal bands because their lyrics are more thoughtful and I have my head shoved up my A**."? It's as though the people are too afraid of liking metal to even give it a chance, the mainstream won't change because people are afraid of being different. I personally find an equal amount of meaning in the way the notes and instruments are used. What do you guys think?
Old 03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Silver Member

I am not a big fan by any means, but I like some of the tunes from "City". I had a chance to meet them last year at our radion station event and they were cool as hell. When I meet a band and they aren't a bunch of a-holes I tend to like them a little more. Anyway, the one thing I can say for A7X is that they know the lost art of putting on a show. They know how to give a crowd what they paid for by putting on a great stage show.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

the metal things been around for years. people are terrified of metal and just write it off as noise, but if you give it a chance and dig a little deeper you find some of the most gifted musicians AND songwriters ever
Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
the metal things been around for years. people are terrified of metal and just write it off as noise, but if you give it a chance and dig a little deeper you find some of the most gifted musicians AND songwriters ever
Moe.ron - I totally agree with you. Listen long enough, and you can hear the beauty!! I love metal!!
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Agreed
twenty characters ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:24 AM

The bass drum sounds he uses drive me insane. He uses DW bass drums... Why trigger them with such a stupid clicking sound? It sounds like what i get when i tap my pen on the wooden desk infront of me.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:43 AM

NO, i can perfectly understand its use in death and grind music, where there is a horrendous amount of 32nds being played extremely quickly. A lot of natural resonance wouldnt be practical in that sense.

But this music? With weird-clicky-trigger-bass... no thanks. I like to process my beef mince, not my bass drum sound.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Senior Consultant

They got old pretty fast for me. I have Waking the Fallen and City of Evil and I can't even listen to them anymore.

The guitar solos sound like he is just practicing his scales. It's pretty shallow stuff.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
i hate when little kids or these "poser" kids like a band because they're a new hit and think they're so hardcore. i do not like avenged sevenfold because they're "hardcore" i, like you, enjoy the music i listen to because i want to not because its whats in.
Extremely good point, theres all these girls at my school that listen to Lamb Of God just because they want to get the guys and thats what most guys listen to. It drives me insane.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 PM
da cheese walks

Quote:
i actually listen to a lot of metal i'm just not a fan of anything with screaming or the singer sounds like cookie monster, no offense.
ahhhhh Necrophagist!!!hahaha....cookie monster....describes him in 2 words....good stuff!!

i personally cant stand these guys...especially the revrends drum sound....argh!!!annoying....overproduced...but i mean i listen to loadsa stuff,i just find them a bit too tame...

oh the lead singer out of my band met the guitarist guy.....!
Old 03-20-2007, 05:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWfan20005 View Post
Extremely good point, theres all these girls at my school that listen to Lamb Of God just because they want to get the guys and thats what most guys listen to. It drives me insane.
You have girls listening to LOG at your school?

Most of the boys listen to LOG at your school?

Where the hell do you live? Most people here are stuck on "Yung X" or "Lil X" rapper.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:34 AM

as long as they dont reference dragons or lightening they wont bother me. i mean i like metal as much as the next guy, but the dragons and lightening were done to death.........
Old 03-20-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
You have girls listening to LOG at your school?

Most of the boys listen to LOG at your school?

Where the hell do you live? Most people here are stuck on "Yung X" or "Lil X" rapper.
Same here, lol. I don't know what people see in rap music :/
Old 03-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

All of the 14 people at my school who listen to metal are my friends. It's a tough life to be into what isn't the norm...
Old 03-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
All of the 14 people at my school who listen to metal are my friends. It's a tough life to be into what isn't the norm...
Especially when you dont look like a metal kid. People think I listen to Creed and all of that alt. crap, and when they find Malevolent on my Mp3 player, they give me the classic "wtf" look.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
Pioneer Member

For me, avenged sevenfold is an ok band.. Its not my favourite, but I dont hate them.. My opinion.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
That's about how my school was, except there were about 11 kids.

Two of them moved, and two only like power metal. Of course I'm not counting the poser goth kids who listen to Limp Bizkit and Korn and wear bondage clothing for attention.

I actually found one cute girl who liked Lamb of God. She was incredibly hot, and even does modeling and stuff. But, shes 17 and is dating a 21 year old guy so thats pretty much a no go for me.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

My girlfriend listens to everything I do and I don't force her. Even Burn The Priest. She likes Mastodon and Lamb of God
Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
My girlfriend listens to everything I do and I don't force her. Even Burn The Priest. She likes Mastodon and Lamb of God
Thats awesome, I'm talking to this girl now who has a really open mind when it comes to music (she herself is a singer.)

It's nice to meet girls who dont have that "ewww METAL!" attitude.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Gold Member

That's her in between my legs. I got really lucky... she already liked metal when we started dating... I've always had trouble with girls who don't like the music I like... I mean I can understand not liking metal, but at least try for me...
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 AM

If you're into bands like Avenged Sevenfold, check out their new self-titled album. If you havenít picked it up yet, I recommend the MVI version because it has two discs. It has a DVD, a make-your-own-ringtones program, buddy icons, lyrics, and tons of videos. It has a bunch of videos, including a Making Of, and animated short, a Studio Tour and more. And of course it also has the regular CD so you can listen in your car!
Check out the website for more information http://mvimusic.com/avengedsevenfold/ or just post a question and I will respond. I work with the agency promoting this exciting new release.

Thanks,
Laura
Old 11-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member

very well put!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer View Post
For me, avenged sevenfold is an ok band.. Its not my favourite, but I dont hate them.. My opinion.
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY