DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 02-15-2007, 01:27 PM

Default Electronic Kits anyone?

Hi there, new to this forum so aplogies if there has been rafts of info on this topic already!
I haven't played drums for a LONG time and for whatever reason have got the bug.
Through looking at the internet and this site in particular, I have learnt more in the last month than I ever knew when I did play the drums in terms of technique and practice routines and I am only playing a Remo practice pad - albeit with much better sticks than I ever had!!

Anyway, due to the noise there is NO WAY I can buy a kit and play at home it just isn't possible and thought of buying an electronic kit. In the bad old days, these kits were not very advanced but it is obvious that things have moved on.
I would spend up to aroud 1,000/$2,000 maximum which will take the best kits I imagine out of my reach.
Can anyone give me tips on what kits to look? I would be grateful to hear from drummers that actually own an electronci kit or have experience of plaing one.
Thanks.
Old 02-15-2007, 02:55 PM

Default Re: Electronic Kits anyone?

I have a Roland TD6 "slightly upgraded" and I have enjoyed playing it.
My understanding is Roland and Yamaha are worth a look.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:07 PM

My church has a very nice Yamaha Electronic set, it was under $2000 (I helped choose it) so yeah man, give it a look...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member

Look for second hand kits; with luck you can find kits in great condition for half the price. Last summer I bought a year-old Roland TD-8KV for around $1300. It has served my needs quite well...
Old 02-16-2007, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

You can get the Yamahadtxreme IIs, the one you will find in my link below, for $2,000 US shipped in US. Not sure what the UK price is. You will need a bass pedal and throne to get all set, everything else included. Joey
Old 02-16-2007, 09:59 PM

Hey all, Super Noob here, haven't even picked up a pair of sticks. I do really want to get into it though. I live in a hole in a wall studio dept. in the slums of all slums that has sound restrictions, the nerve of them!, ha. But I'm looking to get started on a BEGINNERS elec. kit under a small budget. Anyone have any recommendations on where to start to get the basics down???

Appreciate any feedback...thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 AM

I'd recommend to actually try out the kits and compare and contrast before you buy. I've own both Yamaha and Roland kits, and in my experience Roland has far superior sound quality. The drums actually "breathe" whereas the Yamahas always sound rather flat to me. Just my opinion. The Roland TD-6 may be a good choice. I used one for ages and loved it.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

It may be limiting at first, but I would really suggest you spend your money on a high quality drum brain and maybe just two pads (snare / hats) and a kick trigger to start with. Then when you can afford it, you can add pads one at a time for not much money. The drum brain will be the biggest limiting factor with what you can do with your e-kit. I have a TD-6 kit and while it has served me well for a few years I really wish I had a better drum brain- but they cost over a grand! I suppose it depends on what you really want to do, and what your future goals are. I'd still say give yourself some headroom though. The TD-6 has been great for practice and I have done some recordings with it, but I feel my needs today are for one of the better modules.

Rick - How did you upgrade your TD-6?
Old 02-20-2007, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the feeback and advice.

My initial goals are really to start learning how to play the drums period. I have no formal education and have thought about taking a class or 2 from a local jr. college. But right now, I'm seriously interested in learning, been visiting several sites, forums, etc to try to get a gage on how best to start. The fact that I'm considering e-kits is due to my living situation more than anything.

With that said, how much of a budget do you think I should plan for to meet my needs?

thanks again folks...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM

I just spent the last 3 months looking around at electronic kits so I could finally play drums in my apartment. I finally found something affordable. It was the Alesis DM5 Electronic drumkit. For only costing $499+Tax (I think it ended up being like $530) its definately a good kit to get started on and you'll be saving a good chunk of change.
The best thing about this kit is it comes with the sound module. I've found other kits that cost the same amount but i couldn't find any that came with a sound module like this one and the cheapest sound module i've found cost like $350.
As far as what i think of it after playing it.
The Pros- You definately can learn how to play drums on this.
Silent (enough), as far as the noise the sound module makes no one can hear it if your wearing your headphones. The only thing people will hear, and thats if they're in the same room, is your sticks striking the pads.
You can add toms and cymbals for a pretty cheap price. They're about $50 a piece.
You can use a double pedal on it.
The Cons- You wont be able to choke you cymbals or really do any real bell work on them either.
I dont like the Hi-Hat, they're definately some false or missed triggering goin on with it. Its nothing drastic but it does bother me a little. The Hi-Hat pedal is really light and will move on you unless you find some way to hold it down.
It comes with a pedal but you'll want to just buy a new one.
Some of the sounds that come with the module can be a little corny and may have no use to you.
There has been a couple of times where i hit this thing and it felt like i just hit a softball with a cheap baseball bat in the cold. Stings a little. Still, the sticking on this can be really good and stick rebound is not a problem.
My review may not help but im just giving you a honest perspective from someone who actually owns the thing and has to play it.
I found this kit in my ModernDrummer magazine and there review was slightly a little nicer. I think this kit is great overall and for the PRICE it will not let you down.
Info = http://www.wwbw.com/Alesis-DM5-Elect...-i390851.music

= http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=97
I bought my kit at sweetwater sound in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. But they're should be a closer dealer to wherever you live if you just want to go pick it up your self and not have to wait for it to be delivered.
= http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM5Kit/
Good Luck