DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-12-2007, 01:35 AM

Default PDP red MX maple

this is a great little kit to romp on in the clubs!!
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: PDP red MX maple

Specs?

By the way, is that a Mexican-made PDP or the older kind? How are the bearing edges?

Old 03-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Silver Member

Looks fun to play but:

SPECS!

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-12-2007, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Specs?

By the way, is that a Mexican-made PDP or the older kind? How are the bearing edges?
ya, i'd also like to know. that is why i didn't go with this same kit i believe. I took a yamaha over it. i didn't like the idea of the poor quality i.e the edges.

-Wes
Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 PM

Ok here is my opinion on the Great Bearing Edge controvercy. Only buy the drums if you can A: inspect them closely. B: play them in the store. it is just that simple. If you like the pearls or the yamahas better, buy them. I LOVE my drums they suit me fine. They are light to cary, easy to set up, and the sound great. There was three sets in G.C. when I bought mine. The CX , the MX and the LX. also a Star classic and a DW matt fin maple set and the PDP (with a little tuning in the store) sounded as good to me as the $4200 DW set.

So thats my opinion.
BTW, 10,12,14,16, toms (ec2 clear heads)
22"x18" BD (sk1 head)
pork pie black brass snare (sounds best with a remo ambassador)
sabian aa elsabor 16" crash
sabian aa studio 16"crash
zil rock crash 17"
zil med ride 20"
zil new beat HH 14"
flying dragon direct drive dbl ped.
roc-n-sock throne
Old 03-12-2007, 11:40 PM
Pioneer Member

Nice setup. The finish is pretty awsome too.

Edit- little error.

Last edited by Class A Drummer; 03-12-2007 at 11:40 PM. Reason: error.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Now thats my kind of kit!

Love the setup, really comfortable and fun to play on the toms when they're like that to the left of the bass drum. I envy your second floor tom, after new cymbals, that'll be my next purchase.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Sweet kit. I love PDP and am also an owner.
Nice cymbals you got there...gotta get me some new ones.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Very nice kit. The PDP bearing edge thing is hilarious - lots of drummers missing out on a great drum kit. I've got an LX series, and I had heard the whole bad bearing edge thing, so I checked them out before I bought the kit, and they are the cleanest, smoothest, most precise bearing edges on any kit I've ever owned - and I've owned quite a few in my 20+ years of drumming! They tune up so easily - I love 'em. Congrats on your kit, and I like that set-up too. I'm thinking of trying it out with my kit.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 AM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by msj67 View Post
Very nice kit. The PDP bearing edge thing is hilarious - lots of drummers missing out on a great drum kit. I've got an LX series, and I had heard the whole bad bearing edge thing, so I checked them out before I bought the kit, and they are the cleanest, smoothest, most precise bearing edges on any kit I've ever owned - and I've owned quite a few in my 20+ years of drumming! They tune up so easily - I love 'em. Congrats on your kit, and I like that set-up too. I'm thinking of trying it out with my kit.

Why do you find it hilarious??? There has been numerous issues with edges, and shells being out of round....

I have also been playing for close to 20 years, and have never in my life heard more problems with pdp drums...congrats on getting a problem free kit, but don't come on here posting like you know the history of the pdp problems..I personally experienced pdp's issues...

And on a side note......Whoever posted above that pdp's sound equivalent to DW's....That statement is generally for people who can't afford a DW or any other high-end kit...

I respect your brand loyalty....and if you can't afford a high-end kit then fine....just educate yourself before making such a bold statement, which has no merit to it.....

OK rant over....
Old 03-13-2007, 03:29 AM

I find it hilarious because it's all about jumping on a bandwagon and every time a PDP kit appears on this forum everyone is all over it saying it's no good, the edges must be bad, etc. Everyone is convinced that PDP is bad, but it appears that so many people who are trashing them have never really checked them out. If you've owned one and had troubles, then that's one thing and that should be fixed by PDP's customer service team. As I mentioned, I've owned lots of different kits and the worst edges I've had were on a Tama and a Gretsch kit I owned, and I had a seriously out of round tom on the Tama kit. I still respect their products, would definitely buy from them again, and the issues were all handled under the warranty. I totally agree that PDP has had its share of problems, and DW has done all in their power to come clean and fix the QC problems. FWIW, in my experience, PDP's higher end kits seem a great deal and I would buy another one, no question.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:45 AM
larlev

I respect your answer......and your right with regards to the "bandwagon" statement...you shouldn't post negatives about a manufacturer unless you have first hand knowledge of their product...

I just feel that there are to many other manufacturers that you don't have quality control issues....I personally will not buy another pdp product, solely based on my experience.
You shouldn't have to worry about warranty issues when you purchase a kit in the $1000 range. You'll never hear of quality issues with Sonor or Yamaha for example.

Maybe they have remedied the issues.......who knows...all I know is they lost at least one customer..
Old 03-13-2007, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank M View Post
this is a great little kit to romp on in the clubs!!
Oh, HECK yeah!! I like how you said that. That is a really nice looking kit and, I'm sure, a more-than-adequate "romper". Nice set-up! (I play 2 left of the bass and 2 floors)

Sweet!
Old 03-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larlev View Post
Why do you find it hilarious??? There has been numerous issues with edges, and shells being out of round....

I have also been playing for close to 20 years, and have never in my life heard more problems with pdp drums...congrats on getting a problem free kit, but don't come on here posting like you know the history of the pdp problems..I personally experienced pdp's issues...

And on a side note......Whoever posted above that pdp's sound equivalent to DW's....That statement is generally for people who can't afford a DW or any other high-end kit...

I respect your brand loyalty....and if you can't afford a high-end kit then fine....just educate yourself before making such a bold statement, which has no merit to it.....

OK rant over....
Ok so here it is, I am a 41 year old Part time drummer that plays in bars. I would not bring A DW drum set in most of the bars I play in so I purchased some thing I woud not worry about getting damaged. That being said, I can afford a DW set, I just don't need one.
And yes, in MY OPINION the pdp set I purchased did sound as good as the DW set next to it.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:02 AM
larlev

Quote:
Ok so here it is, I am a 41 year old Part time drummer that plays in bars. I would not bring A DW drum set in most of the bars I play in so I purchased some thing I woud not worry about getting damaged. That being said, I can afford a DW set, I just don't need one.
And yes, in MY OPINION the pdp set I purchased did sound as good as the DW set next to it.

I can understand that fully..I wouldn't either....

As far as the pdp set sounding as good as the DW.....the beauty is, we each have our own opinions....

It's kinda funny though.....you never hear of an Export owner stating that their kit sounds as good as a Masters....or a stage custom owner comparing theirs to a Maple Custom..etc.

Why is that? Is it just because pdp has the DW logo on the kick?
Makes me wonder.....
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I can understand that fully..I wouldn't either....

As far as the pdp set sounding as good as the DW.....the beauty is, we each have our own opinions....

It's kinda funny though.....you never hear of an Export owner stating that their kit sounds as good as a Masters....or a stage custom owner comparing theirs to a Maple Custom..etc.

Why is that? Is it just because pdp has the DW logo on the kick?
Makes me wonder.....
Maybe its because the PDP and the DW drums are both maple shells. That is not the case with the exports v/ masters, or the stage custom v/ the maple custom

just my opinion.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:10 AM
larlev

Quote:
Maybe its because the PDP and the DW drums are both maple shells. That is not the case with the exports v/ masters, or the stage custom v/ the maple custom

just my opinion.

Maybe...although the shells are manufactured different in every way...and this has more bearing on the sound than the wood type...

Wood type is a marketing tool anyway....I have had a maple/birch kit side by side...same heads, relative shell thickness, tuned the same...and it's really tough (if not impossible) to hear a difference.....maybe after 15 years of playing my ears are crap...who knows

DW shells are some of the best out there...hell, they had keller teach them how to do it...
Old 03-14-2007, 03:15 AM

OK Larlev you are right. and some day I hope to have as much knowledge of drums as you. All I know is what I like( my pdp drums). and what you don't like ( my opinion).
And all I thought I was doing was sharing my pics and my thoughts. Had I known I would be attacked for it I would not have bothered. so next time I decide to post , maybe I will just play.

Maybe Larlev will have his own page on this site someday and we can all share in his wisdom.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Maybe...although the shells are manufactured different in every way...and this has more bearing on the sound than the wood type...
Please tell us more about the differences in manufacturing, I'd love to know more.

Quote:
Wood type is a marketing tool anyway....
Just like name brands? Because it sure as hell doesn't have anything to do with timbre...

Quote:
I have had a maple/birch kit side by side...same heads, relative shell thickness, tuned the same...and it's really tough (if not impossible) to hear a difference.....maybe after 15 years of playing my ears are crap...who knows
So you can't hear the differences between a maple and a birch kit, but you can tell the differences between a PDP maple and DW maple? Is that because you want to?

Quote:
DW shells are some of the best out there...hell, they had keller teach them how to do it...
I can't remember where I heard this, but I recall hearing that PDP and DW shells are the same, just either produced, or sent to different factories, overseas vs CA. Can anyone verify this?
Old 03-15-2007, 01:38 AM
larlev

Alright Bro...I'm hoping your not trying to be a smarta**...so i'll answer your questions..I'll go in order of what you quoted

1.The maunfacturing process.... DW has thinner shells w/ rings, not to mention the overall construction, that in itself has a huge difference in sound....do your own research you can read all about DW's shell process on their website

2. Wood type is a marketing tool.....It has long been known that Keller sets the wood type that is currently marketed.....remember birch was king for 10-15 years before maple was introduced...why? Maple was simply too expensive to produce into shells. Now it isn't....
I will guarantee you that most drummers cannot hear the difference between the 2.

3. Difference in sound between pdp and DW.....again I can tell the difference because of shell construction, edges, rings....you are not going to get the same sound with 100% different shell makeup.

4. pdp same as DW (shell construction)....are you kidding....in no way shape or form are pdp shells maufactured the same as DW's.....

I am not saying pdp's aren't decent drums(provided their quality control has been addressed)...but to say that they sound as good or better than DW's is just plain idiotic..

People can have their "opinion"....but saying a pdp maple kit sounds equilavent to a DW collectors is.....well......I think you know where I stand
Old 03-15-2007, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I find it hilarious because it's all about jumping on a bandwagon and every time a PDP kit appears on this forum everyone is all over it saying it's no good, the edges must be bad, etc. Everyone is convinced that PDP is bad, but it appears that so many people who are trashing them have never really checked them out. If you've owned one and had troubles, then that's one thing and that should be fixed by PDP's customer service team. As I mentioned, I've owned lots of different kits and the worst edges I've had were on a Tama and a Gretsch kit I owned, and I had a seriously out of round tom on the Tama kit. I still respect their products, would definitely buy from them again, and the issues were all handled under the warranty. I totally agree that PDP has had its share of problems, and DW has done all in their power to come clean and fix the QC problems. FWIW, in my experience, PDP's higher end kits seem a great deal and I would buy another one, no question.
Just as a preface, I did not assume, I inquired about the bearing edges. I took a very neutral stance because I didn't want to generalize about PDP, and because I'm not trying to insult the guy's kit. It's actually a really nice kit, and I'm a total sucker for red stain/wrap kits.

1) I have hand inspected two PDP kits, from the LX and MX series. While the LX was fine, I could tell before I even took off one of the tom heads on the MX that it had some issues.

2) I have emailed Drum Workshop about this problem and inquired about this problem. Pacific kits are NOT held to the same standards as DW kits at all. DW kits are for the most part handcrafted in the United States. Pacific's main factory has changed locations twice, and their kits are now mass produced in Mexico.

3) What evidence do you have that they have done all in their power to make PDP better? Having emailed DW, they made no indication that they were aware of the issue with bearing edges (despite clearly stating in my email that many were concerned with them), or even planning on improving PDP in the future. From their 2007 models, it looks like all they've done is increase the amount of finishes/wraps the drums come in. Plus, the prices don't exactly scream "quality"

Old 03-15-2007, 03:20 AM

I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall reading an interview with a DW executive who was directly asked about the quality control issues with the Pacific line. He came clean and admitted that there were problems early on and stated that they were being addressed.

As for the differences between DW and PDP shells, this is what DW's customer service sent in reply to an email:

Q: Do DW shells use the same maple as the PDP shells?

A: Thank you for your inquiry. We actually use the same maple. The ply
configuration, and shell structure is different. We use grade AA for pacific, and DW uses the same maple however, the face or outer ply on DW is grade AAA. DW uses a variety of different ply configurations, (custom as well) whereas Pacific being our production line, uses 8-ply maple. Pacific is made at our Ensenada factory, DW, here in Oxnard, California. We have a truck from Michigan that stops here and drops off our maple, and then proceeds to Mexico with the same shipment! Thank you.

Best regards,

Brandon Pierce
Customer Service Representative
Drum Workshop, Inc.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
I can't remember where I saw it, but I recall reading an interview with a DW executive who was directly asked about the quality control issues with the Pacific line. He came clean and admitted that there were problems early on and stated that they were being addressed.

As for the differences between DW and PDP shells, this is what DW's customer service sent in reply to an email:

Q: Do DW shells use the same maple as the PDP shells?

A: Thank you for your inquiry. We actually use the same maple. The ply
configuration, and shell structure is different. We use grade AA for pacific, and DW uses the same maple however, the face or outer ply on DW is grade AAA. DW uses a variety of different ply configurations, (custom as well) whereas Pacific being our production line, uses 8-ply maple. Pacific is made at our Ensenada factory, DW, here in Oxnard, California. We have a truck from Michigan that stops here and drops off our maple, and then proceeds to Mexico with the same shipment! Thank you.

Best regards,

Brandon Pierce
Customer Service Representative
Drum Workshop, Inc.
what exactly do "ply configuration" and"shell structure" mean? Number/thickness of ply's and ???
Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 PM

I have both a 7 pice PDP Mx and a 6 pice DW Collectors, I could not complain about the PDP it serves me very well but it does not compare to the collectors in sound in anyway. in my oppenion PDP has one of th best sounds in it's class. I got mine in april 2006 and the only quality issue i had was they left one of the badges off, They called right away apologized and sent me the badge that day.I purchased one for my son at christmas and it was flawless and sounded great. I am sure that every drum manafacture has some quality control issues some times, why because humans are not perfect.