DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 PM
Gold Member

Default My TAMA Stagestar

Aight, Don't laugh too hard guys. 18 inch bass drum, 10 and 12 inch rack toms, 14 inch floor tom 13 inch high hat and now I have a different cymbal than the one pictured, that one was the stock 16 inch Crash/Ride, I now have a 16 inch Zildjian Crash that musiciansfriend sent me for free (The one they sent me was both inside out and when I flopped it right side out, still junk). The high hats are still stock
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2007, 05:10 PM
KARL MEMBER

Default Re: My TAMA Stagestar

Er, why should I laugh? I LOVE it!!
It is so sweet, small and cute...I`d buy one if I have money as a small Jazz/DnB kit...I love the shallow toms of it, amazing!

...and remember: Even the Stagestar sounds cool, good quality man. =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

The Stagestar was my first legit drumkit (before I had a generic brand kit). Don't feel bad.. there are actually a few people on this forum that have pimped out their Stagestars to look like pro-level kits. I also still own it, but the majority of the kit is in storage while I'm away at school. However when I get it back I'm going to throw some maple hoops on the bass drum and make a few alterations. So don't feel out of place: Stagestars are good little kits, and a lot of people pay big bucks to buy a kit with a 14x18 bass drum, so feel good that you got one for the price of a beginner kit.

In particular this kit from Frummer is a great example of how Stagestar kits can look awesome.

If you have the funds: Buy some new heads from the toms and snare, or possibly replace the snare if you can. Definitely get some new cymbals.. I'd suggest ZBT/B8/PST5s if you're a beginner and have low funds.

Old 01-09-2007, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Hey, I love the thing. I've played a Swingstar some and I actually like the feel of this kit a lot. I like how easy it is to roll around the toms. It sounds surprisingly bass-ey, too! I was just saying, it is a small kit. I'm really enjoying learning on it. Also, now that I think about it, I drive a 1990 BMW 325i. NO space to carry a kit around. This downsized model will both be great for moving and the small spaces I'm gonna have to fit into. Thanks for the kind words!
Old 01-11-2007, 06:58 AM

Don't sweat it man! I have the same kit, I put Remo heads on it and they sound so good! When I got new cymbals, I turned the stock crash/ride into a china, by hammering it, etc. This kit is pretty good. =)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:30 PM

whoa its been a long time since ive been here....

coincedentally this is the first thread i checked out after a long time...and i see my nick mentioned here =)...

Dont worry mr. pasquini...your set looks fine...it will grow in time.

btw...phase 3 of my kit will come soon..keep your eyes pealed...

new snare ( hopefully )...
proper mounting for my 12 and 14 inch wuhans ( yeeap i bought a 14incher )....
and im using a 4 piece set up now
Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Gold Member

woah don't worry man! this set is awesome. little kicks sound good. i own a tama swingstar and i do session work on it. it sounds really dope man. it will serve you well for many many years! i have droped my drums, i have even had people stand on them, they have been knocked around more times than they have been played, and they are still sounding great.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 01-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frummer View Post
whoa its been a long time since ive been here....

coincedentally this is the first thread i checked out after a long time...and i see my nick mentioned here =)...

Dont worry mr. pasquini...your set looks fine...it will grow in time.

btw...phase 3 of my kit will come soon..keep your eyes pealed...

new snare ( hopefully )...
proper mounting for my 12 and 14 inch wuhans ( yeeap i bought a 14incher )....
and im using a 4 piece set up now
Glad you stopped by! Yeah, I mentioned you because I was looking for ideas on my Stagestar, and I came upon your thread -- honestly I'm very impressed with the direction that you took it. Props.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Gold Member

Just gonna throw down some picks of me with the kit!
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Silver Member

Props on the action poses. I think it's funny how Stagestar kits make the people that play them seem like giants.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Props on the action poses. I think it's funny how Stagestar kits make the people that play them seem like giants.
Or maybe they are giants 0_o !
Old 01-12-2007, 01:29 AM

Hey, just because your kit didn't cost a fortune doesn't mean people will laugh. I really like your kit, especially the sizes. Small bass drums are great. I wouldn't mind having your kit at all.

By the way, take kung_f00's advice, get new heads, and (if you're not too short on cash) cymbals. They will make a big difference.
Remo Emperors or Evans G2 heads will work well for your kit and style of music.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:27 PM

haha kung_f00! thanks for the compliments! will post any updates as soon as i get my gear...perhaps new heads too...current heads are wearing out...hmm

sorry for hijacking thread haha...Mr. pasquini dood...u look like you're gonna crush tat oh so cute set..haha...have fun with it :)
Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frummer View Post
haha kung_f00! thanks for the compliments! will post any updates as soon as i get my gear...perhaps new heads too...current heads are wearing out...hmm

sorry for hijacking thread haha...Mr. pasquini dood...u look like you're gonna crush tat oh so cute set..haha...have fun with it :)
No, no problem at all.

Yes, I am a big guy and it's a small kit. Not a real problem, I just kinda jacked it up. SO I haveone suggestion for new heads. Do you have any suggestions, being a Stagestar owner?
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

Would you guys reccomend These Meinl Cymbals?
I've already got a new cymbal stand on the way and the high hats I have are looking at breaking soon...

I know it's a cheap set of cymbals, but do they have a decent sound for the money? I think that 94 bucks for a set of High Hats and a Crash/Ride is really good, and everyone says Meinl is quality...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:37 AM

I used to own the identical kit, with some major upgrades (see pic). With the proper skins and tuning, those "entry level" Tamas sounded damn good at a lot of gigs...
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Silver Member

Since you're starting out, MCS is probably the best line of beginner cymbals next to Paiste PST 5s. As for heads, I'd suggest Remo, but you might prefer Evans. Anything coated or or two-ply for the batter side of toms would work best. For now, you can probably deal with the stock resonants (provided you tune them well).

Old 01-18-2007, 03:51 AM
Gold Member

Well, I opted not to go for new cymbals until I run into a bit of money. I think I'll pay a little more and get nice high hats or a good ride before I do anything else.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:46 AM
Silver Member

do ebay or craigslist.... it will save you a fortune!
Old 01-18-2007, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
Well, I opted not to go for new cymbals until I run into a bit of money. I think I'll pay a little more and get nice high hats or a good ride before I do anything else.
One of my drum teachers told me to always buy the hi-hats for a new setup first. Out of all the cymbal choices you'll make, the hi-hats are the most important as they will likely be used the most. The next cymbal to get is the ride, you want to match the ride to the hats, and then from there you can pick crashes and splashes.

Just a thought, if you're going to look for individual cymbals.

Old 01-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

So I found a Wuhan China for like 12 dollars today and I'm seriously considering going and buying it. Cheap, but a 12 dollar cymbal? why not. Here's my question: I'm thinking about making my cymbal setup work like the pic at the bottom.Is that the dumbest thing ever?
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
Silver Member

Depends on the size of the crash. I think if the china and the crash are too similarly sized, you're going to have trouble getting at the crash. If you can't afford another cymbal stand, maybe you could find a cheap cymbal clamp, such as

This will allow you to place the china away from your other cymbals without finding money or space for a new stand.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:11 AM

I think if you flip the china upside down on top of the crash, you should be OK. Eventually, you'll want to get some new stands or clamp/arms, but this works for now. I definitely recommend using a couple of FELT washers from the hardware store or auto parts store (the ones they use for anti-corrosion on batteries). They're only a dollar, and they'll save your cymbals. You never want two cymbals touching, besides the hihats, and if you have stacks like Mike Portnoy.

I definitely dig the setup man. A friend of mine has a Stagestar too. He really digs it. I'm a shorter guy (5' 7") and using my full size 10,12,13,16,22 kit is just on the verge of being too high because of the depth of my toms. Anyway, I'd love to play a nice, easy to handle kit like that.

You'd be surprised what some folks come up with for kits. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Gold Member

well, I just updated my kit. The lineup is the same except I have a new Wuhan cymbal and I made my toms more easily accessible to me. I lowered my rack toms and moved their positions.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Gold Member

I MIGHT be about to run into $250 (after I sell that Telecaster). I plan on spending it on cymbals. I want new high hats, but my instructor has offered me a signature ride cymbal (I honestly don't remember the type, I'll find out this evening) that I really dig. What should I do: Go for the Ride or spend it all on nice High Hats? Or is it possible to get a good set of high hats for like 75-100 dollars?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I MIGHT be about to run into $250 (after I sell that Telecaster). I plan on spending it on cymbals. I want new high hats, but my instructor has offered me a signature ride cymbal (I honestly don't remember the type, I'll find out this evening) that I really dig. What should I do: Go for the Ride or spend it all on nice High Hats? Or is it possible to get a good set of high hats for like 75-100 dollars?
It really depends on the ride he's offering. $250 would help in buying a decent pair of hats, probably a pair of New Beats or Dyno Beats (but it depends on your style). You can however, scour ebay for deals and you might be able to pick up some secondhand Zildjian hats for less than $100

Old 02-17-2007, 01:18 AM

MR- flip that Wuhan over, and angle it a bit more, or you are going to crack it, as well as chew up your sticks...IMO, use it as an accent, and not like a crash cymbal. Also, those stock batter Tama heads are pretty poor (I've been there). If you can replace them with Evans Genera 2 Clears (or Coated) you will notice a big difference. I had an Aquarian Powerkick 1 on my 18" bass drum-the single ply batter made internal muffling (pillows) unnecessary, but provided a nice "punch"...the 18" doesnt have much projection at all, without miking...

Last edited by thumper; 02-17-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Gold Member

What do you fellas think about Stagg cymbals?

The local Music Go Round has a set of high hats for 140 and a ride for 110 that sound pretty nice and are paired pretty well. Any rants against the company or big praises?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:41 AM
Silver Member

Stagg has some decent cymbals. I like their hats and chinas, but I'm not a huge fan of their rides or crashes, however it's up to your ear. Personally, for a legit "starter set" of cymbals I'd suggest Istanbul Samatyas or Paiste PST5s. You can probably find those for the same price if you look on musiciansfriend.com or ebay.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:02 AM
Gold Member

Ok, Tomorrow I'm going to pick up my Stagg SH High hats, I love them. I sat down and played them for 5 minutes and decided they were the ones for me. Defined chick, heavy hitting and they crash VERY nicely. That is set in stone unless I go for a more expensive set of Staggs, but it's hard to beat those cymbals for $130. I love how they sound.

My question regards a cymbal I found. It's an 18 inch vintage Sabian ride. I think they said it was from the 70's, would it be wise to go for this cymbal? I really liked the sound. I might like to have a bigger ride, but it's not the size, it's the sound. What my real question is is this: Should I trust in the durability of a 20 - 30 year old cymbal?

Last edited by Mr. Pasquini; 03-01-2007 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, i was about to comment that the reflections on your cymbals looked wierd until i scrolled down. Why do they even make those types of cymbals? Its an insult to drumming. =)
Old 03-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Gold Member

I'm weak, there's no substitute for that. I planned on buying those $130 Stagg SH high hats but I played a set of the Stagg Black Metal High Hats and my god... they were amazing. they totaled out at $161.25. I couldn't be more happy with them. I highly recommend them if you want something loud and cutting that isn't annoying. It's the perfect set of high hats, exactly what I had thought high hats should sound. HURRAH! I'll post some pics of them on Sunday, I'm headed to the beach in 30 minutes.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:34 AM
Gold Member

I FINALLY got a ride! I love it, it sounds SO good! So thin, yet so nice. Very loud and amazing stick definition.

My Stagg 14" Black Metal High Hats
My Dream 20" Crash/Ride which is really just a thin ride
My Zildjian 16" Crash

Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Silver Member

Wow! Looks really good! Now you just need to get a extra stand of cymbal clamp so you can get the china back into the setup. Those Stagg hats look really cool, I'd love to hear them if you can get a recording.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:53 PM

hey man nice kit....and those cymbals are a great bargain...I played at a club in nyc with the tama stagestar as the house set and it sounded great with the right heads and tuning.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:03 AM
Gold Member

man, your kit looks great, and you look enormous behind it :-). Have a lot of fun playing it :-)