DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 AM

Default Re: COATED EC2S!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]
Just picked up some coated EC2's yesterday, I don't know how they sound yet, it was too late to play when i got done putting the heads on
Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 AM

Dale's Drum Shop has had the EC Coated tom heads for about a month now. They had them installed on a kit upstairs next to another kit with EC2 (clear).
The EC is warmer than the clear similar to a coated vs. clear G2.
I've had the EC2 on my kit now for over a year. They sound fantastic. Maybe I will try the coated next time. They sound better than the Pinstripes in my opinion.
The EC Snare Reverse Dot was a shock to me. I'm not a two ply snare guy. I figured this would be very dry and dead feeling, you know the heavy 2 & 4 backbeat beat the snot out of it head. While I'm sure the durability is not an issue, this drum had more tone and life than I would even imagined.
I put this on a Tama starclassic Performer (Birch) snare drum.
This drum is warm and ringy by nature. This head is actually fun to play on. It has just enough ring with a nice fat tone to it. The dot is not as drastic as the Power Center Reverse Dot. The head is more consistant middle to edge the PC Reverse Dot in terms of feel.
This won't be my main snare head, G1 Coated, Genera or Genera Dry depending, but I was very satisfied with this drum head I bought on a whim. Sometimes you get surprised by something you sure or think may not.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:55 AM
Silver Member

I to had my first encounter with the coated EC2 heads at the weekend, I needed replacement heads for my snare and 14" tom. Both heads really surprised me, especially the one for the snare, I had an HD dry on previously, and was pleased with the sound I got from it, a pretty safe choice of head for a snare, don't think I'll be going back to them now though, the EC2 coated snare gave me goose bumps when I hit it, I wasn't totally sure what to expect from it with it having both the control ring around the edge, and the rather pretty reverse dot in the middle. It was as lively for me in the feel as a single ply head, the sound was crisp and bright with just the right amount of "ring" (maple 14 x 3.5" pearl FFS) just the sound I'vew been searching for.
The tom sound, by comparison was instantly better, having been previously topped with a pinstripe. Although still focussed with great attack, it seemed warmer and slightly more fuller bodied than my 16" which has a clear EC2 on it. Can't wait for the weekend to come round as I'm anxious to try these heads on the 12 & 16 toms, might wait until sunday in london at drummer live, trake a trip to the evans stand and see what I can blag haha

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Looking at the pics, they remind me of the J1 Etched in appearance.
The J1's we're very nice, but the only problem I had with them was that they showed every fingerprint, or a "patch" where a piece of Moongel was used. Wherever you pressed into the surface, it left almost a clear spot..in the end the J1's visibly looked like crap, but they did sound good. I'm wondering if these EC2's are "etched" using the same process?
Phil
Old 09-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm eager to try the snare batter. I've been using the Genera dry heads quite a bit, but I'm getting bored with them.

I have a new Brady stave snare in route and I would like to try a few different heads out when it arrives.

I might have to make a trip to GC tonight.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Pioneer Member

GC had them in stock so I picked up a couple of 13s and 14s.

They also had one of the new DW acoustic equalizer snares. It was set up with a power stroke three cranked way up and sounded choked. I'd like to hear it with the stock head.

They plan to sell the new snare for $900.00. Yikes!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I mounted an EC2 snare head today on a 7 X 13 Brady and it sounds pretty good. It has a more open tone than a Genera dry, but isn't too ringy.

It sounds similar to an Evans reverse power dot, but with a little less sustain. This head has the power dot in the center. I'm still messing with it, but it sounds pretty cool. It has a lot of mid and low end.

The Brady had a Remo reverse black dot head on it cranked way up. I like the Evans better so far.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:43 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy
Looking at the pics, they remind me of the J1 Etched in appearance.
The J1's we're very nice, but the only problem I had with them was that they showed every fingerprint, or a "patch" where a piece of Moongel was used.
Phil
Phil,

All my Evans snare heads do this. You can see where the moon gel was on the G1 and G2 coated as well. I think it is just part of their coating process.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Well, I got some new heads for all my toms today (all Evans, of course). And I just finished putting them on and can't play them for fear of waking up grandma. Dang. I want to beat them really hard.
Anyway, I put a lot of thought into this setup, so if anyone has any comments about it, feel free to let me know.
So, the best way to list this... I think this way.
Batters:
8" and 10": Genera G1 Coated
12" and 13": Genera G2 Coated
14" and 16": EC2 Coated
Resonants:
8", 10", 12": Genera Resonant Glass
13", 14", 16": Genera G1 Clear

So the idea behind it is that all the toms should have a similar amount of resonance without any artificial damping. Therefore, smaller drums get thinner heads, bigger drums get thicker heads. I think it sounds pretty good, but I've only tapped them just a bit. We'll see tomorrow how they sound after they've seated for a while.

Also, so far, the EC2's sound brilliant. They are doing just what I wanted them to.

Cheers!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:21 AM
Guinness

I figured I would bring this thread back to life with a question that I still haven't quite answered for myself by reading many post on this subject. I screwed up!!....but maybe not...hmmm. I just ordered a new batch of heads to go on my brand new Pearl SMX Sessions kit I ordered. I have always used Genera G2 coated heads, but after adding that kit to my cart I must have gotten a bit giddy and distracted because I ordered Evans EC2 coated instead. They have already shipped and should be arriving Monday along with my kit. The coated G2s from my current kit are not that old and can be re-used if needed. Has anyone actually made the switch between the two and if so, were you happy with the results?

Scott
Old 01-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
I figured I would bring this thread back to life with a question that I still haven't quite answered for myself by reading many post on this subject. I screwed up!!....but maybe not...hmmm. I just ordered a new batch of heads to go on my brand new Pearl SMX Sessions kit I ordered. I have always used Genera G2 coated heads, but after adding that kit to my cart I must have gotten a bit giddy and distracted because I ordered Evans EC2 coated instead. They have already shipped and should be arriving Monday along with my kit. The coated G2s from my current kit are not that old and can be re-used if needed. Has anyone actually made the switch between the two and if so, were you happy with the results?

Scott
Well, I've used both. I use both at the moment, in fact. G2s on 12 and 13" toms, EC2s on everything lower than that (14, 15, 16, 18"). I can just say that the EC2s are excellent. I've also got Session Customs, and they sound great on them. Definitely no mistake.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Guinness

Alright, thanks for the advice. Hey! This thread is your baby. I bet you didn't expect it to pop up out of nowhere like this...lol. I'll give that a try and see how it sounds.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

Yeah, strange how that works.

You will not regret the EC2s.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Coated EC2s!

i have the coated EC2 on my snare....all I can say about it is that I really don't think they should be on snares. Toms? Maybe, haven't tried it yet, but definite no for snares.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
i have the coated EC2 on my snare....all I can say about it is that I really don't think they should be on snares. Toms? Maybe, haven't tried it yet, but definite no for snares.
Was it the EC2? OR the EC Snare? The EC2s were not made for snares, but they do make a head in the EC line that is for snares...
Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedrummer View Post
Was it the EC2? OR the EC Snare? The EC2s were not made for snares, but they do make a head in the EC line that is for snares...
Yea it was the EC2 haha. At the time I didn't know they had ones specifically for snares.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Yea it was the EC2 haha. At the time I didn't know they had ones specifically for snares.
They're great heads those EC snare heads, got a really nice sharp precise crack out of my snare, helped me get the sound I was after, to me they feel really lively for a 2 ply head, and they look pretty as well :-)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 03-12-2007, 05:36 AM

so is the EC coated snare head a 1 ply head then?

seems more like a 2 ply with how muffled it is. i just got one (i think i more got suckered into buying it because it looked cool more than anything) and it kind of kills the sound of my snare more than i'd like. not that it's a bad sound, but it's just too dead for my snare that has such a nice sound in the first place, that i'd like to let it ring out a little.