DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Stanton Moore here

Hello Stanton! Awesome to see you will be dropping some knowledge on us here, 'tis a privilege indeed to have a funkmeister in the building.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Nice to have to you here, Stanton. I love your tasteful, catchy, and fitting grooves in everything I've heard with you playing. In fact I've always associated "fun-funk" with your style of playing. And that bass-drum sound on the Sprung Monkey video on drummerworld is super-pimpin'.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

Warm Welcome Stanton

Since I've seen your Montreal Jazz festival prestation on TV with Galactics, you've been a very inspirational drummer. I visited your webpage, I expanded my knowledge in New Orleans drumming through you. I frequently visited your bio on drummerworld page and downloaded the small vid of your lessons, get much info about you and work.

I'd like to say also that I very much like your attitude behind and "around" the kit, very enthusiasmic playing which bring lot of freshness and color.

Continue your wonderful work, I apppreciated every minutes on it :-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-08-2007, 04:20 PM
KARL MEMBER

Welcome! Very very nice to have you on board.
You are definitly a great inspiration for me...and a cool person in general! =)

I wish you all the best, hope you have fun!

PS: lol, I guess that "kacperivo" (big fan of you and member here) won`t believe it if he hadn`t already discovered you here.

again, great that you are here!! :-)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

Wow! so it really is you! Hi Stanton and welcome to Drummerworld.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-08-2007, 06:30 PM
Pioneer Member

hey man, at last you're here :). it seemed kinda awkward that the biggest drumming forum lacks in Stanton. now that's cool, bring even more groove to this very special community of drum beaters!

great to have ya here.

p.s. thanks for the tip Karl ;)
Old 03-08-2007, 06:58 PM
da cheese walks

Stanton Moore?wow!Ive been looking inot New Orleans stuff lately....ive really liked what ive seen,heard and played!

your an inspirational player man, and i hope to hear some more of your stuff soon!

sean
Old 03-08-2007, 07:20 PM

wow welcome to DW stanton. i love watching you play. i was going to come to your last clinic in houston but i got called into work so i couldnt make it. i have family in new orleans and im hopefully gonna go stay with them this summer so i can check out the music. any suggestions in where to go? peace.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

Welcome aboard Stanton!! I really love your drumming and "III" is a great album my friend. You can hear the pain in that record.....very deep. Your drumming has really influenced me and your "Modern Approach" DVD is great! Thanks for the inspiration!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:45 PM

I heard the song Tchfunkta on DrummerWorld and was instantly hooked. I ordered All Kooked Out and it's absolutely blew me away. Your style and feel are incredible. I let my drum teacher borrow the cd and it impressed him too. Now when I do rudimental solos and stuff he tells to make it groove like Stanton, lol.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Stanton,

Thanks for taking the time to visit and write on the forum. I really like your master classes! The LLRLRLRR pattern and the applications of it were awesome. I just need to work on the feel of it more.
I totally agree with you regarding your comment on Herlin Riley's performance on Wynton's "Majesty of the Blues" record. I fell in love with the record and Herlin's drumming, each cut it so musical and grooves hard. I wish I knew what happened to that dang CD!! It was one of my fun play along records. The slow ballad was challenging though.
What other albums or songs would you consider a great resprestaion of New Orleans style?
Also, which ones would you consider a great inspiration to you for drumming as a whole, if different than the previous question?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Welcome Stanton.. Looking forward talking drums with you.. Love the new orleands music! Have fun!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Wow, it really is Stanton. Welcome aboard!

Sorry for the skepticism, but we once had Buddy Rich AND Travis Barker on here at one time...needless to say, they were both fakes.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
we once had Buddy Rich
Are you sure it wasn't just someone going:
"Hey, look! I'm Rich, Buddy!!"
Old 03-08-2007, 11:07 PM

Stanton Moore. Welcome! I was just cruising DW after a lapse online and ran across this thread - had to put Hamp's Hump on the office stereo. Funkalicious.

Hope you'll come back to the Vail Valley sometime soon. I was bummed to miss your last appearance.

Really enjoyed the Vegoose show this year. You looked like you were having one heck of a good time up there.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 PM

hi Stanton
i am really glad that you joined this forum, i have always, or at least since i discovered you, considered one of my favourite drummers. I went to vicfirth.com and watched one of your drum solo which just sended shivers down my spine! Such tastefull and BLOOODY groovy!
peace!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:08 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Hello all. thanks for all your initial kind words. In response to some of your initial questions...

Aqualung, I've know Pepper Keenan for a long time. we both grew up in New Orleans and were active in the rock scene. he had recently move back to New Orleans and we started hanging alot and he started coming to alot of my gigs. COC was having trouble finding a drummer they thought would do what they were trying to do justice. Pepper mentioned it to me months before, but kept working with other drummers. Pepper and i actually started recording a side project with Skerik together called Kurbfeeler. so, knowing i had grown up playing rock and working with me and seeing me play all the time, he finally got frustrated with the other people they were working with and approached me saying "i know you could kill this stuff". We still hang all the time and are working on Kurbfeeler still...He actually ownes a bar that i play and hang at often called Le Bon Temps Roullez (the good times roll)

skippy, i would recomend going to Jaques-imo's for dinner and going next door to the maple leaf for the music. try bayona, gautraud's, clancy's, dante's and brigtsen's for dinner as well.
go to frenchmen street, tipitina's, donna's, the maple leaf, preservation hall, snug harbor, DBA to start for music, stay away from bourbon street (unless you love drunks and hate culture)
stay at the montleone hotel. i stayed there just for kicks the other day and it was awesome and not too pricey.
i would recommend to anyone that is thinking about going to NOLA to GO! we need people to come down and spend money. you can help rebuild the city just by coming down to experience the music, food, culture and hotels

bobhead, i have a nice NOLA discography in the back of my book "Take it to the Street"
but i would recommend, the wild magnolia's "they call us wild" any dirty dozen, or rebirth, professor longhair "crawfish fiesta" (with Johnny Vidacovich on drums) and of course all of the meters stuff. that should be a good place to start.

Also...everyone, make sure to visit James Black's page here on DW. Bernhard is about to post some new tunes that i just sent him. they are killin" more on James later....
Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 PM

Sup Stanton,
Checked out your drum clinic at Atlanta Pro Percussion a few months ago, it was truely amazing/blown' away. You're one groovey mo'fo and glad to have another pro on the forum.

Edit: Expect a lot of questions from me lol
Old 03-08-2007, 11:40 PM

rad thank you. im panning to come this summer so hopefully ill check most of if not all of those places out. you got any gigs over there between july and august?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Stanton, welcome to DW. You've been a massive influence on my playing; I hate to think about how many hours I spent watching the modern approach DVD when I should have been studying last year. I also learnt about Bosphorus cymbals, and what a great discovery that was. The only bronze on my kit is from Bos now.
It's good to have you here, I hope you ejnoy it.

Campbell
Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Stanton Moore, a true great, welcome aboard!

Thank you so much for all your sterling work in spreading the New Orleans flavour among the international drumming community. (try stoppin off in Ireland if you ever get a chance heh heh)
My brother and I were gonna go see you with Galactic at Jam in the Dam a while back but you guys got taken off the bill! wtf!? I would love to go this year but final exams crush those hopes. ah well

anyway, with coolin off, ruckus, emphasizer, outre mer and the dvds it goes without saying that I am a huge fan.
If you get the chance check my band out at www.myspace.com/historyofharry we'll be recording during the summer and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the finished product.

Breadmonkey
Old 03-09-2007, 04:16 AM

Hey Stanton! It's nice to see you on the forum. I've really enjoyed listening to your playing especially these last few months where I have really focused on your feel and style in the New Orleans funk. I live down in South Florida and I have been taking lessons from Jason Furman for a few months now to prepare for the University of Miami. Jason has said so many great things about you and it's really exciting to hear all the stories he has about you guys hanging out in New Orleans. I hope you can make it down here sometime for a clinic or something along those lines. Hope to see you soon and thank you for your fantastic playing and insperation.

-Steve
Old 03-09-2007, 05:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
Wow! so it really is you! Hi Stanton and welcome to Drummerworld.
I must add that New Orleans is groovy (I'm so punny! heehee!). I wish I could go down there but I am much too busy. BTW, what's your official website?

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM
Senior Administrator

hey acqualung... thanks for turning me on to COC. i didn't know this side of stanton. really diverse drummer then. i guess the thing is when you have a feel for drums like mr.moore you don't need to blast beat and double pedal every song to be heavy. very busy but appropriate drumming. nice.

j

and here'ssome of my pics of stanton...

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Stanton, what's happening. Really diggin your grooves man. I also like your set up. It's very unique with the off set bass drum. What/who inspired you with that kind of set up. I tried it once and found it very uncomfortable haha. And I noticed you're coming up to Canada, but only Toronto. That's too bad. Maybe one day I'll be able to watch you. Cheers.

EDIT: Also, the snare on your left, that's a Dunnet? I've never seen one that thin!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Hey Stanton, what's happening. Really diggin your grooves man. I also like your set up. It's very unique with the off set bass drum. What/who inspired you with that kind of set up. I tried it once and found it very uncomfortable haha. And I noticed you're coming up to Canada, but only Toronto. That's too bad. Maybe one day I'll be able to watch you. Cheers.

EDIT: Also, the snare on your left, that's a Dunnet? I've never seen one that thin!
He runs a double pedal on the bigger kick using the left slave pedal with his right foot, so it's not like he has to stretch his leg across to play it. And that's a tambourino (spelling?) on his left, not a snare.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Administrator

in the DVD he calls it a pandero. it sounds awesome ... very low tuned. a sort of bam bam sound.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah that's wicked, thanks for clearing that up Ozzy n Nutha. Yea the Pandero sounds very nice indeed.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Platinum Member

It's spelled "pandeiro", with an i.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Pioneer Member

according to what Stanton says, it's an RMV pandeiro with a remo emperor on it. at first he had LP's wooden pandeiro, but they stopped producing them (a guy from LP told me that, so if i'm not right, he's to blame:)).

a really cool brazilian stuff!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:30 PM
Gold Member

Stanton, you are amazing. I saw you a few months ago in Chico, and accosted you right as you got off of your bus. I had you sign a drumhead, of which there are pictures on this board. Not sure whether you would remember it, but thought I'd throw that out there. Thanks for coming!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:25 AM
Gold Member

wow... stanton moore. it's an honor.

i went to visit my grandparents in louisiana this christmas break, and my girlfriend took a day trip to new orleans.

it was a great experience, although we didn't stray far from the french quarter. i knew about

tipitina's, but wasn't sure as to where it was. and i tried to see some jazz in the preservation

hall but unfortunately it was closed for the holiday (new years eve).

next time though, i'm taking that list of places with me, to absorb some more of the culture. i

did buy some artwork in jackson square, and eat at a restaurant in the french quarter

(priiicey), so i felt like i did a little in the way of helping new orleans.

it was amazing though to see damage from katrina coming into the city on interstate 10 (i think?) that has yet to be cleaned up.

and looking into the neighborhoods, you would see trailer after trailer after trailer parked in everyone's driveways (which i'm assuming were fema trailers)

the french quarter looked fine though. hard to believe it was underwater. everything looks like it's up and running pretty well. i could be wrong though.

anyway, thanks for joining drummerworld, stanton. looking forward to some insightful posts.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:42 AM
Pioneer Member

Oh I thought it said on his website that the Pandeiro was a Dunnett.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
I must add that New Orleans is groovy (I'm so punny! heehee!). I wish I could go down there but I am much too busy. BTW, what's your official website?
Is this a question?

http://www.stantonmoore.com/

The forum of Stanton:

http://www.stantonmoore.com/board/index.htm

Bernhard
Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow Stanton! I just have to say that you're one of my favorite drummers. I have three of Galactic's albums plus your modern dvd, you and the music are just extraordinary. You've really got the groove and feel and your heart in the music. huge inspiration. So all I can say is thank you!
Old 03-11-2007, 10:57 AM

I just got back from seeing The Stanton Moore Trio in Tallahassee, FL. It was an incredible show and I'm way lucky to have been to see it. Such a monstrous groove from that dude and the ghost notes never stop. Super intense.

Mr. Moore was way approachable and friendly to everyone at the bar. I went to ask him about donating a drumset to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort and he was nice enough to pack the kit up into his trailer and take it up there himself. I hadn't really planned on letting go of the kit that early and it was kind of a snap decision but it was awesome. Plus I saved a few dollars on shipping. This was my touring drumset for quite some time and a pretty sentimental object for me.

Thanks so much to you, Mr. Moore for helping me pass that kit a long. I hope it ends up in good hands. Also thanks for an incredible show.

Take care man.

-aj
Old 03-11-2007, 12:28 PM

Whoa! This is a an honour, Mr. Moore. I can't even think where to start about how much your playing has made a musical mark on me. Maybe I should come back a little later, with less clouded a brain...
But seriously: you are one true, true artiste. All Hail.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

And one more thing now I think about it; are there any plans for Galactic, the Stanton Moore Trio or any other group with yourself on the kit coming to Australia some time in the near or distant future? Or am I going to have to get myself to New Orleans to see that...
Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy Biz View Post
And one more thing now I think about it; are there any plans for Galactic, the Stanton Moore Trio or any other group with yourself on the kit coming to Australia some time in the near or distant future? Or am I going to have to get myself to New Orleans to see that...
YES!! You have to come to Melbourne! PLEASE!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:09 AM

Come to Sydney! Please!

Your groove and feel is amazing, and ive been inspired by the unique look of your drum set ups.. even replacing my secondary snare for a pandeiro like yours!