DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Best bass drum head?

Ive got the emad and i dont really like it. It deadens the sound too much and i think it makes my bass drum quieter. It came with my kit so i dont know the best sound i could get from my bass drum. Its a birch 20x16 bass drum, pearl masters, and i was wondering what would be the best head for my bass drum. Im looking for a real "metal" sound but i want it to be really loud as well. Thinking of the powerstoke 3 or something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks alot.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Best bass drum head?

Evans EQ3 or Evans EMAD2 tuned really tight. Or try looking for a DW Clear/Coated Head on eBay with a DW pillow. I tried it out at Guitar Center, it was like a cannon for a small bass.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Pioneer Member

haha when I saw this I was just about to say Evans EMAD. The Remo Powerstroke is pretty popular too.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
Ive got the emad and i dont really like it. It deadens the sound too much and i think it makes my bass drum quieter. It came with my kit so i dont know the best sound i could get from my bass drum. Its a birch 20x16 bass drum, pearl masters, and i was wondering what would be the best head for my bass drum. Im looking for a real "metal" sound but i want it to be really loud as well. Thinking of the powerstoke 3 or something like that. Any suggestions? Thanks alot.
If you stuff pillows and mattresses and refrigerators into the bass drum it doesn't matter what head you play. You might as well play a cardboard box. I think it's silly when drummers get the thinnest heads they can, make them tight and then complain the drum has too many overtones.

If you want a fat sound (maximum punch, maximum resonance, overtones controlled), for a drum of your size, I would recommend Remo Powerstroke or Fiberskyn or the equivalent from another manufacturer, tune them loosely and use no other muffling. These are thicker heads that will control resonance, yet allow the true voice of the shell to come through.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Pioneer Member

Powerstroke III's are real nice, works great on my birch bass.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
If you stuff pillows and mattresses and refrigerators into the bass drum it doesn't matter what head you play. You might as well play a cardboard box. I think it's silly when drummers get the thinnest heads they can, make them tight and then complain the drum has too many overtones.

If you want a fat sound (maximum punch, maximum resonance, overtones controlled), for a drum of your size, I would recommend Remo Powerstroke or Fiberskyn or the equivalent from another manufacturer, tune them loosely and use no other muffling. These are thicker heads that will control resonance, yet allow the true voice of the shell to come through.
Refrigerators LOL.

I really like my ambassador clear with the falam patch. It produces a nice pounding thump especially with the patch. I tuned it low by the way.

look around get suggestions and make your pick. If you dont like what you buy, look into different heads.

Last edited by maddrummr; 02-23-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: I tuned low,
Old 02-24-2007, 11:52 AM

Any other heads to be considering because im going to my local drum shop today to get a new skin. Also if i buy an emperor x head for my Tama Starclassic G-maple 6x14 snare to think it will sound good? I want a real crack but without too much ringing. Is the this the right snare head to go with?
Old 02-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Gold Member

The head is the one on your shoulders.You should realize there are way to many different kinds of sound to just get the "best head".

If you want a REALLY metal bass drum, trigger it. If you want the sound without the electronics.. Try Evans Eq3 over Eq4. many metal drums use that, including the rev from Avenged seven fold.give those a shot.

Keep hitting stuff
-Corbett

Edit- really good crack with out ring on a snare is a G dry evans. it has needle sized holes on the sides so it vents out all the ringing. i use that and a evans hazy 200 for the bottom.. PERFECT snare sounds.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 02-24-2007, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

I use the EMAD, works with metal for me. I just put a small cotton pillow in the bass drum though and tighten the ressonance head a little more than usual. It has a nice low thud and doesn't muffle to the point of deadening and its loud. I also adjusted my pedal to where my beaters were a up a little higher too to make it where it hits a little harder when you play. But if you don't want to mess with your pedal then the EMAD will be plenty loud on its own. Its more a matter of tuning it. Besides, did try using the smaller foam ring? If thats not small enough for you cut some of it off until there is enough for your taste and sound. Also I use a 6" hole in my ressonance.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

I'm not sure which head came stock with my Force 2001 kit, (only says "Sonor" at the top), but it's clear with a dead ring 2nd on the internal-outer circumference (2" maybe?). I've got the Falam beater pads and a small layer of packing foam on the bottom half and the sound is boomy with a ton of beater slap. Tension is just a hair over as loose as it can be (no more wrinkles).

I've got a Powerstorke 3 on the kit at the church and hate it (wasn't my choice). The acoustics in the sanctuary where they are don't agree with it at all. I've tried it loose, tight, and in between...no love.

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 02-24-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:22 PM

I use the clear powerstroke on the batter side and a black powerstroke on the front. I can use it with no padding inside for a louder sound or with a small pillow for a dampened sound. Wouldn't use anything else. I love the sound. Tuned finger tight. A sound recordist once told me the recorded sound from my kick was almost good enough to use instead of a sampled sound..... almost.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

I run the clear Powerstroke3 batter on all 3 of my kicks. On my 20x14, I run an ebony P3 reso., like Blondie, with the drum wide open. Sounds killer. On my 26x14, I run an ebony Ambassador reso., with a HOLZ. Makes a real big boom. Those are my main 2 combo's.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatebreed View Post
Ive got an emad and it's quite boomy; no way dead. It's a beech 22x16". I think it's down to tuning, not heads.