DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Motley_Drummer

Default Can You Help Me Find The Right Stick

Hey thanks for reading.Im a Rock/Funk/Punk drummer iam a hard hitter and i useualy use 5A but i dont know what the best stick company is.Can you guys tell me what the best bang for my buck would be thanks.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Can You Help Me Find The Right Stick

Well Im a classic rock kinda drummer. I really like the promark line. Mainly the Japanese oak sticks. Since you say you are a hard hitter you may find the Japanese oak sticks to your liking. They are a really tuff wood. I use the 747n's If your looking for a heavier stick you may want to look at the 727's I like the sound of a nylon tip on my cymbals. If your thinking you might want to try the Promarks make sure you ask for the japanese oaks. To make sure thats what your getting, There is a small "sumo" on the stick as part of the logo.

Mike
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Motley_Drummer

Cool i just got one of their catologs doesnt aldridge use those and i was also wondering how big are 747ns
Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley_Drummer View Post
Cool i just got one of their catologs doesnt aldridge use those and i was also wondering how big are 747ns
Well there kinda close to a 5 the 727s are closer to a 2. Dont know about aldridge but Peart uses em. Both are a bit longer than the corresponding stick. My main like for the sticks is the life I get out of em. And thats mainly the wood. If ya got a GC nearby, they do carry em. Just look for that little sumo.. And ya know ya got that Japanese oaks.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 PM
Motley_Drummer

yeah i looked in the catolog and they look werthy!how much money are they?
the nearest Guitar Center is about 30 miles away...i useualy go there though
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM

Well I just got another couple of sets. They list for like 8 bucks. I get em for 6.50 a pair. If you bought a brick from like an online store you may get em even cheaper.

Mike
Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Motley_Drummer

Damn thats pricey but worth it i used to use aheads 30bucks apair they last awile but there kinda cheap.there highmaintnence so i would only use them if i was endorsed by them so im realy considering that japanise oak im getting some this weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !
Old 02-22-2007, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hey thanks for reading.Im a Rock/Funk/Punk drummer iam a hard hitter and i useualy use 5A but i dont know what the best stick company is.Can you guys tell me what the best bang for my buck would be thanks.
Try 7A or 2B. Works for me....

Peace
AGR
Old 02-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Motley_Drummer

I have some 7As there starting to make me mad with how small and short they are im ordering some Pro-Mark 2S Aldridge's
Old 02-22-2007, 07:29 PM

OK sticks is the subject in 5A I prefer rock 16 1/4 inch to 16 1/2 inch they give me more control and faster speed! Ahead makes some sticks that are very nice but 30-35 dollars a pair I have a pair of 5B in them but I am going to get some in the rock and maxum series they take a pretty good beating also Tommy Lee has a signiture series that is 17 inch long! Cheap sticks cost a lot of money on drum heads so look into the Ahead drum sticks I think you will see the value and like I said they take a beating and hold up!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Motley_Drummer

Yeah i have the tommy lee's i need new covers but i cant get them man haha it sucks though i have 7A's im thinking i like woodsticks a little more.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:51 PM

i had some pro-mark jap. oak sticks and they broke within a day or two? should i try another pair? maybe i just got a bad pair?

but hey, you should maybe try the vic-firth 5b with nylon tips, i love those things!

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 02-24-2007, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my sacred music View Post
i had some pro-mark jap. oak sticks and they broke within a day or two? should i try another pair? maybe i just got a bad pair?

but hey, you should maybe try the vic-firth 5b with nylon tips, i love those things!
I've never broken one of my sticks... They whittle down (5 or 6 weeks) till they break. But the wood by that time is about 1/4 thick from hats and cymbals wearing em down... I sure would try another pair.. One thing is they dont splinter like the others I have used do. So instead of shreaded wood all over the place. I get sawdust...

Now if your breaking stick on a regular basis, Perhaps your choice of stick is to light to begin with.

And yea everyone can have a bad batch of sticks. When I was using zildjian sticks I got a brick and within 30 minutes had about 8 nylon tips fly off. Called the zildjian company here is the US and was told they had a few glue issues. I sent the rest of the brick back along with the missing tip sticks and they were promptly replaced. It was about that time that someone turned me onto the Japanese oak sticks. I've never looked back, I was that impressed with em...

Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 01:38 AM
Pioneer Member

Try Vater. In my opinion, they make the most durable sticks. I would suggest looking into the Stewart Copeland Signature Model and the Chad Smith Funk Blasters. The Stewart Copeland model has a 5A feel to it while the Chad Smith Funk Blasters have a 5B feel but is a lot beefier at the end.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Vaters are pretty good sticks they are durable and they have a desirable weight.

I play Vic Firth myself but i break 5A's every 4 practices or so, so i cant speak much for durability. The carpet under my snare is awash with splinters and i have a big basket across from my drumset where i toss old sticks (about 20 pairs, my mom cleaned it out recently) But, i find the Extreme 5A's perfect for funk and rock.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:43 AM

I play a variety of music from jazz to hard rock.My sticks of preference are vic firth cj5. they 're fat on the back and taper to thin with a small round head. they work for me. one thing though, they are really balanced well but dont take to hard hits as well as straight taper.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Motley_Drummer

Hm i think im going to pro-mark and not looking back i orderd some jap.oak sticks Aldridge!there 2S and they may be a bit big but ill prolly go with the 5As
Old 02-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Gold Member

I love vater! but im mad at there poor customer service.. So give Promark a try i have been playing on them nice sticks, but the plastic tips come off all the time.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM
Motley_Drummer

Dont they have a warenty not to break?im getting wood tip.I love nylon though
Old 02-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher View Post
I love vater! but im mad at there poor customer service.. So give Promark a try i have been playing on them nice sticks, but the plastic tips come off all the time.
Hmmmm Ive never had a tip come off... But like I said I play the more classic kinda rock. Not the tip issues I have had were with Zildjians.... But I addressed that in an earlier post..

Mike
Old 02-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player View Post
I've never broken one of my sticks... They whittle down (5 or 6 weeks) till they break. But the wood by that time is about 1/4 thick from hats and cymbals wearing em down... I sure would try another pair.. One thing is they dont splinter like the others I have used do. So instead of shreaded wood all over the place. I get sawdust...

Now if your breaking stick on a regular basis, Perhaps your choice of stick is to light to begin with.

And yea everyone can have a bad batch of sticks. When I was using zildjian sticks I got a brick and within 30 minutes had about 8 nylon tips fly off. Called the zildjian company here is the US and was told they had a few glue issues. I sent the rest of the brick back along with the missing tip sticks and they were promptly replaced. It was about that time that someone turned me onto the Japanese oak sticks. I've never looked back, I was that impressed with em...

Mike
no i dont break them on a regular basis, most of my vic-firths (5bn) last about a month or two. and they get played daily.
i tried zildjian sticks once, 5a dips, and they broke about 2 days after i bought them.
but for those of you who do like zildjian sticks they are being made better now that vic-firth is making them.

but yah i got some jap. oak sticks the peart modles and so far no splintering or signs of breaking and i love em!

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Pioneer Member

I just broke one of my Stewart Copeland signature sticks today after using them for 6 months. Very strong sticks...beware of the Promark Japanese Oak. Had a pair for 3 days and they smashed into bits...literally
Old 02-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

Try before you buy.. How feels the stick? Are it heavy? length? them buy.. Good luck finding your the right stick
Old 02-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Motley_Drummer

i was also wondering if you are short and kinda scronny like me does the diameter matter alot im afraid that i wont be able do do fast cymbal crashes and rolls
so does it?
Old 02-25-2007, 10:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
i was also wondering if you are short and kinda scronny like me does the diameter matter alot im afraid that i wont be able do do fast cymbal crashes and rolls
so does it?
It think it does, I used vicfirth sd2bolero, and i changed to promark ian paice sign.. The diameter change was from 635 to 579.. But as again, try some sticks in the store.. How they feel in your hand have so much to do when you play.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:06 PM
michael drums

The Pro-Mark Neil Peart signature 747 hickorys! Good 'nuff for Neil, good 'nuff for Michael!! Play On! ;-)
Old 02-25-2007, 05:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post
The Pro-Mark Neil Peart signature 747 hickorys! Good 'nuff for Neil, good 'nuff for Michael!! Play On! ;-)
I second that, those are some awesome sticks, I've had mine for a month and I love them! They seem to last a long time too. Also, get some mike Mangini Signature Sticks, those are extremely hard to break (a least for me they are). Note that they are quite heavy too.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-26-2007, 01:29 AM
Motley_Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegadrummer View Post
It think it does, I used vicfirth sd2bolero, and i changed to promark ian paice sign.. The diameter change was from 635 to 579.. But as again, try some sticks in the store.. How they feel in your hand have so much to do when you play.
thing is i orderd them online so i didnt get to try them ill probobly like them!
Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 AM
KARL MEMBER

Let`s see...hard-hitter, Funk to Punk, played 5A till now...wait wait, which 5A?? Vic Virth 5A, Vater 5A, pro-Mark...which brand? (I ask because every stick brand has its own 5A stick, they are not the same)
So, if you are a hard-hitter, try out maybe some Vater sticks...they are (in comparison with Vic Firth for example) very durable. I also wouldn`t peronally prefer Oak sticks in general, I find them just too rough in balance.
in my opinion hickory is the best balanced wood. Not too light but also not uncontrolable (too heavy, unbalanced).

I just checked out the standard Vater 5A. they seem very cool to me, hickory wood, 16" length, .570" thickness, seem very versatile.

http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=3

Or maybe check out John Blackwell`s sig. sticks, they have a barrel tip for more stick definition. Just a bit longer than the 5A models.

http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=118

hope I could help a bit,

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 AM

Silver Fox sticks, they are hard to come by but my teacher is a vendor...

Go online and check em out, I have had a pair for over a year and there is only slighlt wear on the tips....They are crazy
Old 02-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer View Post
Try Vater. In my opinion, they make the most durable sticks. I would suggest looking into the Stewart Copeland Signature Model and the Chad Smith Funk Blasters. The Stewart Copeland model has a 5A feel to it while the Chad Smith Funk Blasters have a 5B feel but is a lot beefier at the end.
agreed. I play the Vater Fusion Hickory Sticks. I am also a hard hitter and they last me.