DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-19-2005, 04:50 AM
Stu_Strib

Default Tommy Igoe

Tommy Igoe

Anyone know anything about him as a person? I find his teaching style to be extremely good for begginers, but for me, it leaves much to be desired (higher intermediate, low end expert player). Maybe he'll do a more advanced dvd someday.

I think his groove essentials is a great idea for newer drummers, but I would like to see much more in an instructional dvd.

My wife couldn't stop making fun of him. I guess he's the quintessential band geek...not that that's a bad thing.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tommy_Igoe.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 07-19-2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
juanlopez174

Default Re: Tommy Igoe

yeah i watched his groove essential video its pretty good but yeah i agree with your wife he is kinda geeky
Old 08-02-2005, 10:31 PM
silver_one_drummer127

Default Tommy Igoe

I think that Tommy Igoe is a fantastic drummer and a brilliant teacher let me know wat you think cheers.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:07 AM
Senior Administrator

do you have his DVD? it is great (the groove essentials one). he is quite a cool dude with a wicked groove.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 08-03-2005, 02:11 AM
Stu_Strib

I think Tommy is an awesome teacher. He is very passionate about it. A lot of guys I know think he's goofy about it (much like me, probably why I like him) and discredit him. This is a real shame, because he has a lot of knowledge and talent to share.

The only thing I didn't like about Groove Essentials is that he breaks down the basic groove, but then when he plays it, he ad libs a lot, which loses my students real fast. I wish he would have done THREE takes instead of two. Slow, upbeat, then a third one where breaks down the variations he plays with the (cough cough) "band".

Also, I would have liked to have seen a list of the tunes he played too in the credits.

His DWs and Zildjians sound amazing, and his playing is smooth, fluid and real musical.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:20 AM
silver_one_drummer127

I do hear hes making a new dvd with a lot more advanced stuff for more advanced players i hope thats useful to you.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:32 PM
Stu_Strib

Really? Where did you hear that? I look on vicfirth.com every once in a while, maybe I need to go check again.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:31 AM
silver_one_drummer127

i saw a poster in a gak store its coming out in sept i think.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_one_drummer127
i saw a poster in a gak store its coming out in sept i think.

Cool, thanks. I can't wait. Its hillarious watching me trying to defend Tommy from my wife. She can't get over how dorky he is, which blows my mind, because Tommy is 2x as cool as I am. I am the stereotypical band geek.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:51 PM
silver_one_drummer127

you must pretty cool if your a drummer lol glad i could help.
Old 03-12-2006, 04:04 AM

I love how he describes the accents when he is playing. One, two, three, four, UH! Or one, two, three, EE!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:14 AM
Founder Drummerworld

I had the chance to meet Tommy at PASIC and also a dinner with him and the Hudson-Music friends Paul and Rob.

First surprise: This guy is so tall - much taller than you imagine from the pics. He's the tallest drummer I know.....

Second surprise: He's really fast.....and I mean it.

I stood just beside him during his clinic. He played a BossaNova/Samba in a uptempo - with straight single Hi-Hat - and he hold it not only few seconds, just some minutes - very impressive.

His vocabulary is tremendous - and really, you have to stand beside him to believe: so clean and strong - i was very impressed - and this after seeing twenty other drummers the same day.

And also the nicest guy possible.....

Bernhard

Old 03-12-2006, 09:14 AM

Ya Tommy is one of the few that actually make music with the drums.... not just the beat....
Groove Essentials is the best i've seen so far.... if you get through it! then you end up having quite a baggage of groove with ya...

anyhooo.....

Good sunday to all..
Old 03-17-2006, 07:30 AM

Tommy's dvd is one of most outstanding videos to teach drummers how to lay it down no matter what what style
Learn Tommy's video and you can play almost any gig
I don't mean play like Vinnie or Weckl
Standard gigs
Old 03-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Tommy is great drummer!
I met him a couple of times, super-nice guy!
Old 03-18-2006, 12:27 AM
OZjazzer

I don't find Tommy's Groove Essentials too basic, let's face it a lot of musicians wish that their drummers kept their beats as 'basic' as this instead of being all over the place like a cheap suit.

Don't know where the 'geeky' looking thing comes from, Tommy is tall and very presentable, and a very good speaker to boot. If that's 'geeky' then I would love to be geeky (instead of just being tall).

Tommy's dad was the legendary Sonny Igoe who drove the exciting Woody Herman band in the 50's. This was generally regarded as one the most advanced and swinging of the Herman bands, and that is saying something. Tommy has also been heavily involved in writing and producing the music for the 'Lion King' stage show plus a zillion other things.

I think the the groove essentials poster and DVD are essential viewing for even those drummers who think they know it all - it has sure helped me (even though I do know it all).
Old 03-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZjazzer

Don't know where the 'geeky' looking thing comes from,
He's geeky in his speaking and mannerisms, the words, the drum noises, the swaying back and forth. He's a band geek through and through (not a bad thing at all!). I'm a lot like him, so I can appreciate his style of "singing" the drum parts and general enthusiasm for drums.

Most people would look at you and think "weirdo" is all! I personally dont' care. I know non-musicians probably think we are all a bit eccentric anyway and dismiss it as such ;-)
Old 03-21-2006, 07:09 PM

I saw Tommy playing at Birdland in New York City. He was swinging really hard and man, he was tall!

A very versatile player.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

I just watched the Groove Essentials DVD, and Tommys Groove is amazing, hes in a diffenerent class. Does anyone know what records he has played on?

Smashing stuff anyway, a groove like he has is something to aspire to.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:12 AM

oh well ......i have the Groove Essentials DVD and its really a niche amongst the so many other drum tutorial dvds around .......... the simple way he broke the groove, emphasized on the real aura of the rhythm and mood and then improvised ...... thts wonderfully enriching .......
oh and btw He is not at all geeky but very normal ...and the DVD may appear deceptively simple because Tommy makes it so !!!!! this guy is a class apart .. he is an acclaimed teacher in clinics and even in university.

only one gripe ..... somewhere he or maybe his publisher commented that the accompanying band music would be available in a downloadable drumless format from the DVD website and now i see that they have come up with a CD with the Play-Along book which i again need to buy ...... This is SIMPLY WRONG .... will Bernhard or someone who meets him pass this objection to him ?
Old 07-30-2006, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
the swaying back and forth.
Whenever Im grooving and really getting into it I tend to bounce up and down
Old 09-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Pioneer Member

I just got this book/CD package and was a little bummed to find out that I needed the DVD too. Not that I really need the DVD for most of this stuff as it is fairly elementary, but I think as has been mentioned, that's the point. The play along CD is the best practice tool I have and a spectaculare reference book for a working drummer. The emphasis on groove and chart reading is particularly helpful for me as someone who has to fill a lot of different shoes on short notice. I highly reccomend this book to beginners/intermediates as well as those who may be advanced but don't have a good practice regimine. I like this a lot, and will just burn the DVD from netflix...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:53 AM

His Groove Essentials is quite good and enjoy his playing, but every picture I see of him makes him look like a huge tool. I'm sure it's not the case, but everyone I've shown the pictures to agree. Great player though.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Tommy Igoe

Anyone know anything about him as a person? I find his teaching style to be extremely good for begginers, but for me, it leaves much to be desired (higher intermediate, low end expert player). Maybe he'll do a more advanced dvd someday.

I think his groove essentials is a great idea for newer drummers, but I would like to see much more in an instructional dvd.

My wife couldn't stop making fun of him. I guess he's the quintessential band geek...not that that's a bad thing.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tommy_Igoe.html

Hey Stu,

i ordered his dvd together with book and cd.I don't think this is for beginners.I'm usually a solid rock/pop/funk/Dance player :),and a few month i've been into jazz.But what's so cool about his dvd that he talks as if he's just right besides you and like you know him 5 years or so.Altho,i can play a little bit hip hip salsa or bossa,but soon i will be playing it like he does ;).Another good thing is the book.How many of you advanced drummers can read?I don't,exept for a little bit.That's also my goal.To understand the reading,learn to play for there.

And i don't want to step any drummer on his heals,but how many time i've heard that the drummer plays way to much for a song that it's completely annoying.To many fancy stuff.Those guys probably need to buy his dvd and get the BASICS of a groove!The swingfactor, the beat ! ;)I don't say you must shut up and play a siple BUM TEK BUM TEK all the time:) I find it always important if you do a break or have a fancy idea,just put it where it's capable of giving that little extra.

That's why i like players like the late Tony Thompson,Steve Ferrone,Manu Catché and Phil Collins.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Senior Administrator

this week i'm going through groove essentials. this morning i played a calypso for the first time. beautiful. thanks to Tommy. i noticed that while he shows the groove he doesn't stick to it as written (on the poster). he does subtle different things - different orchestrations. so that once you have the basic thing down you can explore what he was doing and try that out too.

if i meet him one day - and i encourage any of you who ever are lucky enough to meet him to do this too - i'm going to encourage him to make a groove eseentials 2. i'd like to see him cover: blues drumming, drum 'n bass, metal drumming and more jazz, more funk, more world beat and did i mention MORE JAZZ.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 10-24-2006, 01:51 PM

I bought the Book/CD combo and it's awesome.

I've been waiting to get the movie in from Netflix for a few weeks now...grrrrrrr.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Stu_Strib

Well I just got back from the States and I picked up his play along book with the charts and the .mp3s. I think this is a wonderful addition to the dvd (and you can get it along with the dvd, or without, if you already have the dvd).

For those of you a little disappointed with the Jazz section of the dvd, there are several more charts and tunes in this play along. I bought it mostly just for this section. It also includes a 30 minute long jazz section that starts slow (70bpm or so) and gradually increases up to 300+ bpm. That'll be a nice workout/warmup.

Some of the tunes are cheesy, some of the tunes are classy and some are just mediocre. But, they are all exteremely solid in time and musicality, so it is like playing along with a bunch of really strong musicians.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

I just purchased the GE dvd.

I am hoping it will broaden my horizons.

Mike
Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 AM

Last night, i saw Tommy at Birdland, leading the big band, and he is a BEAST on those drums.

All of his accents sounded great because he wasn't in his own world while he played. He played the accents with the band and knew the music very well.

His fills were unbelievable and yes......he is very tall.

I heard a lot of his grooves that were similar to the book, so he does ad-lib a bit. But, it was great!
Old 02-26-2007, 04:42 AM
Silver Member

This guy was the MAN. Inspired me alot, his DVD was the first drumming one I saw, and is a lot of the reason I am still chugging.

Who says this is geared towards the beginner? Sure it can be, but practiced right, even advanced drummers can have trouble. Right now I am trying to perfect every groove to where I can play along in the pocket and add tasteful fills for every groove. It gets tricky, starting at the funk section, it is throwing me for a loop.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Groove Essentials is one of the best DVD's around (IMO) as far as gaining a solid foundation. No flashy fills or ridiculous meters/sigs to detract from its purpose which is to train the beginner in a variety of styles.

Brilliant DVD!
Old 04-12-2007, 07:02 PM
Gold Member

found some cool videos of Igoe at the Birdland on Youtube-
La Fiesta with a nice drum solo-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxyejO7enLA
and the links to the other ones are in the sidebar there
Old 04-12-2007, 07:51 PM

I bought the playalong book a few weeks ago... This is an extremely helpfull tool ! Real under-written professional charts, many different grooves, no click. I think Tommy Igoe doesn't lie we he says that this book will be a life-companion... There is practice material for years.
He's a very good drummer, a great educator... His playing and his positive attitude on the dvd is so motivating when you are a beginner.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:56 PM

I got his bundled "Get started on drums" DVD when I bought my very first drumset 2, 3 years ago as a complete newbie. I knew then he was a great educator whom I wanted to stick with. I was very glad to see his Groove Essentials release. I learned my Cha Cha and Bolero grooves from that DVD. His use of the hi-hat was the best I've seen so far (I was inspired to get the 13" K pair as seen in the DVD). I love his cowbell playing too. The Best Educator.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Groove Essentials is one of the best DVD's around (IMO) as far as gaining a solid foundation. No flashy fills or ridiculous meters/sigs to detract from its purpose which is to train the beginner in a variety of styles.

Brilliant DVD!
That was a really good statement. Although i do not have the DVD, i have been stickin with the weekly grooves over at vic firth, and all are pretty cool.

Also, the fact that they have the drumless play-along track is a really cool idea.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancebeats View Post
I got his bundled "Get started on drums" DVD when I bought my very first drumset 2, 3 years ago as a complete newbie. I knew then he was a great educator whom I wanted to stick with. I was very glad to see his Groove Essentials release. I learned my Cha Cha and Bolero grooves from that DVD. His use of the hi-hat was the best I've seen so far (I was inspired to get the 13" K pair as seen in the DVD). I love his cowbell playing too. The Best Educator.

Yes, yes, yes! Just got the Groove Essentials DVD and have fallen in love with his cymbal set-up. The hats and ride are magnificent. His hi-hat technique is stunning. Can you tell me the exact model of hats and ride he's using?
Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM

This guy is great. Great musician, nice friendly guy. I was on an organ trio gig with this great organist and sax player ( who is a great drummer also) and Tommy walked in with his family on Mother's day at this brunch gig. I recognized him imediately as we were playing and gave him a big smile from across the room but was also like "Oh shit! It's Tommy Igoe (made me a little nervous) and he smiled back and waved. I pretty much left him alone the whole time as him and his family sat down to eat but at the end we decided to try to call him up and at first he didn't want to, but then he came up and I switched the drums righty (I'm a lefty) and the sax player Danny called Moment's Notice pretty fast and Tommy played absolutely great on it and took a solo over a chorus or two and came right back in smoothly. Man, that's a hell of a tune to just call on someone and Tommy kicked it! He also played brushes on the whole tune which was pretty impressive. This was one of those joints that your too loud before you even set up! lol! We talked a little afterwards and he was on his way and we were done for the day. I reminded him that we had met before through a friend of mine that had studied with him and he remembered. Man, what a nice guy....
Old 08-06-2008, 02:37 PM
percusboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramac View Post
This guy is great. Great musician, nice friendly guy. I was on an organ trio gig with this great organist and sax player ( who is a great drummer also) and Tommy walked in with his family on Mother's day at this brunch gig. I recognized him imediately as we were playing and gave him a big smile from across the room but was also like "Oh shit! It's Tommy Igoe (made me a little nervous) and he smiled back and waved. I pretty much left him alone the whole time as him and his family sat down to eat but at the end we decided to try to call him up and at first he didn't want to, but then he came up and I switched the drums righty (I'm a lefty) and the sax player Danny called Moment's Notice pretty fast and Tommy played absolutely great on it and took a solo over a chorus or two and came right back in smoothly. Man, that's a hell of a tune to just call on someone and Tommy kicked it! He also played brushes on the whole tune which was pretty impressive. This was one of those joints that your too loud before you even set up! lol! We talked a little afterwards and he was on his way and we were done for the day. I reminded him that we had met before through a friend of mine that had studied with him and he remembered. Man, what a nice guy....
I love hearing stories like this about great players who are nice people. My drummer friends in New York are all freaking out about his band in New York, I'm definitely going.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:26 AM

Can anyone give me any feedback about Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime DVD in terms of a true beginner?

I literally just started learning the drums a few weeks ago and am doing everything self-taught for now. I have a kit and a drum pad and am doing a lot of basic stuff/beats (Rock Drumming System, Tommy Igoe's Groove Essentials and Learn and Master Drums), as well as playing on the pad (rudiments which means just single stroke rolls for now..lol).

Will this DVD help me as a beginner to develop good habits early on or is this DVD more for a little more advanced beginners/intermediate players? Thanks!

Jonathan
Old 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

yes the dvd is great for a beginner, although you need to work through it veeeery slowly :). a) some of the rudiments and combinations are advanced and b) although he always starts slow and explains everything in detail, as he goes along he speeds it up quite a little. It's not about speed as such, but an absolute beginner may be scared at times. Well don't be :).

Great DVD, and to add, I find Jojo Mayer's Secret Weapons a perfect companion to it, being more on the "technical" and "scientific" side of things. Those two DVDs complete each other nicely.