DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-19-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Carter Beauford

I'll be seeing Him this wednesday for the 10th time!!! You guys are forgetting "Rapunzel" of the "listener Supported" album. Disc 1 track 3. OMG is that a beautiful piece of work on the drums!!! Just try and follow/count it all the way through!!! Those were the best shows, during that era too....best set lists...for drums anyway...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecustom
you should check out that dvd of carter "under the table and drumming", man, i love this guy....

im actually about to go get the dmb central park concert dvd, hope its good
I was never a DMB fan until I saw how truly great they were in the Central Park dvd. It is the best music dvd I've ever seen.

The song choices, the audio quality, the guest musician...all stunning. The only drawback in my opinion is the horrible sounding electronic violin.
Old 06-22-2006, 12:40 AM

I have really just got into this guy and the DMB. I am going out to purchase the "Drumming under the table" and Live in Central Park DVD. I want to know what heads he uses? His snare and toms just sing and fit so well with the music. Cheers
Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A thunder of Coxy
I have really just got into this guy and the DMB. I am going out to purchase the "Drumming under the table" and Live in Central Park DVD. I want to know what heads he uses? His snare and toms just sing and fit so well with the music. Cheers
Just thought I'd throw out my first post in honor of my favorite drummer. He uses Remo's Clear Emperors over Ebony Ambassadors on toms and a Coated Emperor over a Clear Ambassador on his snare. Beauford Buddy has a lot of nice information on his set.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:17 PM

hey all my carter fans out there. just glad to see this thread going. Im one of the biggest carter fans you will ever find. i just had the pleasure of getting to see them live (for my first time) up in pitttsburg the saturday night show. words cant describe it. in my 20 years of living i have done nothing better than to to witness this band play live and especially watch carter do his thang. of course they played my all time favorite Two Step asthe final song of the night, 20 minutes of pure magic ( a dream of mine is to play this song with the band ) and then one i hadnt heard before the American Baby intro. it was incredible. i enjoyed the show so much that i dropped 500 dollars more for better seats for their august 1 show, CANT WAIT. i think im gonna make a sign that says "Carter I need lessons!" who knows maybe something will work out. As long as Carter is around i say long live great drumming.

peace easy!
Old 06-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Is there any other drummer in the world that can play such complicated but completely perfect in every other way beats like Carter Beauford can?
Whats more though, hes not jsut a drummer, the guy plays precussion like a seperate percussionist too! Plus hes super cool, always happy whilst playing live and is jsut one of the coolest most chilled looking blokes on the planet.
I have looked through a lot of the drummers on this massive site and still havent come across anthing like carter. He is jsut superb, amazing, brilliant, stunning! Never seen anything like it. My fav drummer, even beats Jojo Mayer and Bonzo.
Im trying to get my left hand to work as independantly and as well co-ordianted as my right hand and then maybe one day Ill be able to play a litte like carters style.
Fingers crossed but im not gonan hold my breath.
Greg
Old 08-02-2006, 08:08 AM

To me, Carter Beauford is like an Albert Pujols. The best at what he does. I have listened to the Dave Matthews Band for... Oh man.... maybe 6-7 years now. I cant get enough of it. When I saw him play live for the first time,I was just blown away. The off beat jams, the complicated fills, having a ride cymbal on the left side of the kit... I never knew how intense he really was until I started playing. I wish I could have a tenth of the skill he has. Trying to play songs like Two Step, Granny, Warehouse, Pantala Naga Pampa, and the list could go on forever.... it takes so long to learn. He is so good. Probably the best alive right now, and for a good amount of years. My only sad part about him is that he recently turned over to the dark side of the force (lol) going over to Remo Heads. Dont yell at me about Remo, its just a JOKE!!!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 AM

I love Carter Beauford, but it seems that when ever he solo's he ALWAYS falls back on the four stroke roll, i.e. RLRL on the snare then RLRL on the tom (i guess it'd be LRLR for him though!) or some variation. Look at the ending of Ants Marching, the ending of Two Step (live at least, and in this circumstance it fits perfectly with the pattern being played by the band). Obviously that pattern is not even close to all he plays, but it just seems like a fall back for him, something very easy for him to play without having to constantly be creative. Not that he isn't creative, I mean his ride/hi-hat/snare interaction stuff is AWESOME, I just wish he would stretch out a bit more. But then again he's a millionaire and I'm living with my parents, so what do I know! :)
Old 08-09-2006, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
I was never a DMB fan until I saw how truly great they were in the Central Park dvd. It is the best music dvd I've ever seen.

The song choices, the audio quality, the guest musician...all stunning. The only drawback in my opinion is the horrible sounding electronic violin.

Horrible Sounding Electronic Violin, are you kidding me? Boyd Tinsley is the man! What song do you think is annoying?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:19 AM

Boyd Tinsely is by FAR the worst musician in the band. He uses mostly pentatonics in his solos, and very poorly at that. What he lacks in musicianship he makes up in energy and love for the music, and I must admit that it's still fun to watch him play!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jones
Boyd Tinsely is by FAR the worst musician in the band. He uses mostly pentatonics in his solos, and very poorly at that. What he lacks in musicianship he makes up in energy and love for the music
You obviously haven't heard the new DMB album... lol Boyd focuses on the music, infact.. 1/2 of the record was inspired by his playing. The high energy and spazmistic flow that ones are used to from him has gone out the door on this album. Check it out!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 AM

im new lol..

Carter is definitly a hero. I got given a compilation of stuff and Bartender was one of the songs. I didnt find out who the drummer was for like 2years... That songs incredible. And yeah trippin billies... mate this guys amazing.
Watching his open hand style also made it alot easier for me to learn it. any1 else find this?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:58 AM

I've unfortunately actually started to go off Carter recently I'm afraid, but I will try to justify that before I get shot down:

I first heard DMB about 2 and a half years ago, and was absolutely blown away. Over the next 6 months or so I bought all their studio albums and developed into an obsessive fan. My playing style changed massively because I fell in love with Carter's playing, and they were my all time favourite band up until a few months ago. The trouble is, I've recently started to listen back to the stuff, and I do think that Carter overplays rather a lot - his grooves are so full to bursting with hi-hat flourishes and clever cymbal stuff that I find it quite annoying now.

I was a massive fan, and I still think Carter is still one of the most technically profficient drummers on the planet. I also think his soloing and jamming sections within the songs are fantastic. It's just his normal verse grooves - particularly within most of 'before these crowded streets' - he just seems to never give anyone else any room. Anyhow, it's just an opinion - I still have a lot of faves in their back-catalogue.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:53 AM

Hey Sesh.....

Have you ever given any thought to the fact that more than likely thats what the DMB wants out of Carter? I'm sure that if they were unhappy, or thought that they as individuals were not having enough space to play they would have said something... don't you?

Infact, I know thats what the band wants from Carter. They want him to just rip the songs up and drive people/drummers crazy.

The DMB has somewhere around 15 or so albums that they have released. I'm sure that if Carter was a song-hog they would have ditched him.

Also, you have to take into consideration the other band members. There is only so much that the rest of the band can do for each song. For Carter.. the skies the limit due to the abundance of instuments on his kit. He has alot more to work with being a drummer. Also... he isn't really doing all that much. He.. as you know, plays open-handed which gives him more of an ability to use his kit and create more sound. He is just doing whats normal to him. I mean... c'mon. If you had hands and feet like that guy... whouldn't you use them to the best of your ability in your band, as long as the band agreed with it?

I'm not trying to say that your opinon is wrong... if you noticed, I never came close to it. I'm just asking if you have considered the quick points I have mentioned.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalRaZ
Hey Sesh.....

Have you ever given any thought to the fact that more than likely thats what the DMB wants out of Carter? I'm sure that if they were unhappy, or thought that they as individuals were not having enough space to play they would have said something... don't you?

Infact, I know thats what the band wants from Carter. They want him to just rip the songs up and drive people/drummers crazy.

The DMB has somewhere around 15 or so albums that they have released. I'm sure that if Carter was a song-hog they would have ditched him.

Also, you have to take into consideration the other band members. There is only so much that the rest of the band can do for each song. For Carter.. the skies the limit due to the abundance of instuments on his kit. He has alot more to work with being a drummer. Also... he isn't really doing all that much. He.. as you know, plays open-handed which gives him more of an ability to use his kit and create more sound. He is just doing whats normal to him. I mean... c'mon. If you had hands and feet like that guy... whouldn't you use them to the best of your ability in your band, as long as the band agreed with it?

I'm not trying to say that your opinon is wrong... if you noticed, I never came close to it. I'm just asking if you have considered the quick points I have mentioned.
Hey,

Actually I thought long and hard about it anyway - it's been a slow process of my opinion changing on him on I'e questione things a lot. I agree with you entirely, I know that's waht the band wants, and I have 10 of their albums so I'm fully aware that they're more than happy with them - just look at interviews with Dave or any of them online. All I'm saying is for me it's starting to turn me off the Band a little bit - purely an opinion.

I think for me, I tend to lean towards music that features musicians one at a time, and gives the soloists and vocallists more space - it's the same reason I find a lot of Jazz very hard to listen to, I'm not really a fan of the drummers overplaying behind other instrumentalists sections (and I don't want to get into a debate about what overplaying is - I mean compared to fairly simple, supportive grooves featured in most pop/rock stuff). As Carter is influenced heavily by Jazz it's clear why he approaches drums like that - particularly since DMB used to have a percussionist and Carter chose to take on that role as well when he left. It's also fine that Band like that, and that a lot of fans also like it. For me however, it's just got to the point where I wish he'd back off a little more during verse sections and other instrumental solos than his own. It may be partly as he uses such bright cymbal sounds, that are often high in the mix on their studio stuff, it's a very "in your face" sound. A lot of other guys that play as many notes (Weckl for eample) use darker sounds that blend more easily into the mix, and are less obtrusive.

Anyhow, it is just my opinion, and it's unlikely to change - I still enjoy and am constantly amazed by Carter, I'd love to be able to play like that - he's a truly great drummer.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 AM

Cool man. Ya, I do understand your points you brought out. It's actually an eye-opener for me. I was listening from your point of view today, and I gotta admit.. when I viewed it with your ideas I heard what you hear. Thanks. What an amazing drummer.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM

Hey all,

Out of any drummer I've heard - Carter has to be my biggest influence. I was the drummer for a Dave Matthews Tribute band for years, and I had to learn his parts in-side-out. It made me appreciate his playing even more. Not only is he skilled, but his parts are musical, and fit the songs he plays.

fddrummer
Old 09-15-2006, 04:20 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm listening to "#41", again, his playing is so spectacular to me!
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 PM

Well, what's to say? He's a fantastic drummer, who, could probably be considered one of the best drummers today. I'll narrow it down to one word: amazing.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:38 PM

I'm just getting to know him, I usually don't like buying live stuff, and it seems that DMB has almost more live than studio albums.

Here is a small sample that I find great. It could have sounded so out of place and messy, but he makes it sound just perfect and groovy. I'll buy more. What should I get ?
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 American Baby_ending.mp3 (564.9 KB, 579 views)
Old 09-20-2006, 01:08 PM

Great groove, technique. His sound is good too, but a bit too "straight" for me. Else I like his jams with Victor Wooten, these 2 are amazing! And he's 5th inmy top 5!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:26 AM

Hello,

I'm so happy to have found this site. I've been playing drums for about 15 years and I started listening to the Dave Matthews Band about three years ago when I watched the Central Park DVD. Later that same year I went to see the band at the Gorge and seeing and hearing Carter playing live was an incredible experience for me. One of the things that impressed me the most was his use of the double kick ! Well, I came back home and I got a twin pedal. He changed my vision of what a drummer can do.
For example, in the Central Park dvd, his use of the double bass in the bridge between So Much To Say and Too Much is just amazing in its grooviness and control.

For me, he has the grooviest double kick ever!
Old 09-21-2006, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffle
I'm just getting to know him, I usually don't like buying live stuff, and it seems that DMB has almost more live than studio albums.
Here is a small sample that I find great. It could have sounded so out of place and messy, but he makes it sound just perfect and groovy. I'll buy more. What should I get ?
Hello Shuffle,
you should check out the Central Park DVD or CD, it's a great compilation of DMB greatest songs and shows Carter in more than fine form. One of my favourite music dvds.
Sebas
Old 09-21-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I would recommend his 'Under the table and drumming' DVD. It's got plenty of studio footage and comes with a booklet with all of the songs tabbed out to learn. I originally learned #41 from watching that dvd. Check it out..

Regards,
fddrummer
Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 AM

Quote:

DMB's live stuff is amazing. Much better than the studio stuff.

The Central Park Concert is my favorite. You can get a 6-dics package from "The Gorge" which is just alot of music, and alot of amazing drumming. Live At Folsom Field, Listener Supported and Live In Chicago are three other great CDs/DVDs from DMB.

As I said previously, I have every DMB CD released, as well as some live concerts that I downloaded using torrents (DMB lets you record their concerts and trade them on the internet).

I went to a DMB concert last year and again this year, and was able to download the concerts and now have them to myself. It's great to listen back to the stuff you heard live. Just incredible playing. I reccommend anything on which Carter Beauford is playing.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:46 AM

Default Carter Beauford

Well.... A lot has already been said, I've been a huge DMB fan since the beginning, and went to every concert they had when coming to my area. For those concerned that they have more Live albums than studio. It's because you are limited in the studio recordings. But when you unleash these 5 (6 with butch) guys you get outcomes such as Central Park (omg amazing). If you are looking for some more music to drool over check out Under the Table (Ants Marching personal fav) and Crash here you will hear Drive In Drive Out, which you will appreciate more with my next suggestion.... Live at Red Rocks. Then I would go with Listener Supported - Pantala, Rapunzel, Jimi, Warehouse all greats from that one. So if you are looking for Songs/Albums that just cant be missed I would go with those. But if you are like me you can't resist acquiring all the carter has to offer. I will definitely agree with others when saying that no two songs are alike. Trust me on this one, you can't go wrong with purchasing more of Carter Beauford. A Drum god in my book.

PS- If you can get your hands on an underground copy of Lillywhite Sessions (was not released) then I would do so. It came out before Busted Stuff and has some songs on there I wish they would release. BTW- Grey Street is sooo sweeet check it out!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:32 AM

What type of sticks does carter use any body know?
Old 12-29-2006, 07:06 AM

He uses his own signature model made by Pro Mark
Old 01-06-2007, 06:08 AM

having lived in richmond, va (70 min south east of charlottesville) for about 15 yrs now i had many opportunities to see the DMB live. seein carter up close in a small club was a great experience. and i was able to meet the guy in cville when i went to a john d'earth gig that a great jazz drummer named al garnette(betty carter, abbey lincoln) was playing on. very, very nice guy. and its a trip to realize that he worked as a social worker for a while and gave up his 9 to 5 to drum full time. also, there was a local fusion band here back in the day (secrets was the name) that included the aforementioned john d'earth and carter playing drums. lucky for me i worked for a wedding band and the leader had a copy of that band's one and only album......which i promptly hi-jacked and have it safely nestled away to this day. its nice to break it out every once in a while and listen to it. that band gave the richmond area a lot of hope.....they thought it would be the next athens, georgia with a ton of bands jumping onto the scene. didnt pan out that way though.

carter has his act together on this instrument. definitely an inspiration.

Last edited by vadrum; 01-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:44 PM

What can i say, this guy is the reason why i started drumming. He is like nothing i've ever heard before... just thought i'd throw these in here... here he is in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOssmcxTbZI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ6pvkv1GLc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjrekLQbveg

:bowdown:

edit: we gotta get some smilies in here :)
Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 AM

The man is simply one of the greatest drummers of our time. He has inspired and fueled my playing over and over again, I can honestly say I wouldn't be half the drummer I am today without his influence. He is a huge idol/influence/hero to myself and many others.

Man, he's simply awesome!

PS- DMB is just an amazing band that will always be #1 in my book.
Old 02-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Pioneer Member

And here's a...... ummm........ Different approach to Carter's playing (I hope Carter patented all of his fills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDPcURtr5Y
Old 02-24-2007, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
And here's a...... ummm........ Different approach to Carter's playing (I hope Carter patented all of his fills).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDPcURtr5Y

he needs to lay off the coke
Old 03-09-2007, 04:40 AM

I am just getting into drums, and I have to say Carter was a huge influence for me. I play guitar and have already been a DMB fan for years - Dave kicks ass! And the amazing playing Carter pulls off has made me want to learn drums. I am debating whether to try and learn open handed, or close handed. Maybe I'll do both...
Old 03-10-2007, 04:37 PM

what hi hats does he use? they sound awesome on Ants Marching!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 03:40 PM

what can I say? One tasty drummer...

ps: His hats on Under the Table (and thus Ants Marching) were 13" New Beats. Cool hats. He has since switched to A Custom Mastersounds, I believe.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:15 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstandyourfunk View Post
what can I say? One tasty drummer...

ps: His hats on Under the Table (and thus Ants Marching) were 13" New Beats. Cool hats. He has since switched to A Custom Mastersounds, I believe.
Isn`t he using 13" K hats now?
Old 03-11-2007, 09:33 PM

yea i gotta say, personally i think he had a much better sound with the new beats
Old 03-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Now he's using the 13.25 inch K hybrid hats.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

according to zildjian.com he's using a custom projections.