DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-11-2007, 05:23 PM
IDDrummer

Default Looking for a stick similar to the Weckl...

Without the finish.

The last batch of sticks I bought, I got the Dave Weckl signatures from Vic Firth. I love the balance and weight of the stick, but I hate the finish. Not only is it messy (it chips off and marks up drumheads), but the slick finish has actually made my hands a little sore after long sessions. I've never had trouble with blisters or callouses before, but I've come close with these sticks.

Basically, what I would like is a stick as close as possible to the Weckl, with a satin type finish more like the regular Firth or Pro-Mark.

Anyone got any suggestions or know of such a beast? The folks at my drum store didn't.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Looking for a stick similar to the Weckl...

The Weckl originals are the barrel tip with the cherry finish...
Going by the websites, sizes and tip styles I would say:
Vic Firth "Zoro" Signature--.005" smaller but barrel tip..natural finish
Regal Tip Hickory 8a
Regal Tip "Jeff Porcaro"

or perhaps you could try the Weckl Evolutions, they have a different type of finish..
Old 02-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Pioneer Member

Or even the Steve Gadd sticks are similar. The Dave Weckl Evolutions are great sticks. Acorn tip with a beige, natural gloss finish, so it won't mark up yer heads as noticeable.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:26 PM
KARL MEMBER

mhhh, one possibility would be to take some sand paper and scratch off the finish. then make it "satin" with a very fine sand paper.

If you like their balance, modify them. Of course you could try some others like the Steve Gadd model or Zoro`s sig sticks but if you can`t find a different one with a similar balance, weight etc. of the Dave Weckls, give the sandpaper a try.

just my thought...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Pioneer Member

I would suggest the Vic Firth SD4 model. A little lighter with a little less power, but still great sticks all and all :D
Old 02-11-2007, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
mhhh, one possibility would be to take some sand paper and scratch off the finish. then make it "satin" with a very fine sand paper.

If you like their balance, modify them. Of course you could try some others like the Steve Gadd model or Zoro`s sig sticks but if you can`t find a different one with a similar balance, weight etc. of the Dave Weckls, give the sandpaper a try.

just my thought...

Karl

thats what i did when i was playing the travis barker sticks. i hated they finish coming off on my cymbals so id buy em and sand em down. now i play vater fusions. i love em.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM

I sometimes play the Dave Weckl sticks , but I usually play Promark 747 The Natural with a nylon tip. These have no finish and I never feel sore after playing them. I have had similar issues like you have mentioned with the Weckl sticks. I have found the Promarks to be similar and easy to go back and forth between the two.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
IDDrummer

Thanks for all the input, folks. I've got some ideas to try out next time I'm at the store. Just looking at the specs, I think I'll try the Zoro sigs, The John Blackwell's, Vater Fusions, and maybe 8As.
I've used the 747s for years and still have several pairs, but I've been looking for a lighter stick (basically, hickory instead of oak) with a different balance point. That's what drew me to the Weckl sticks in the first place.

I never would have thought to check out some of the ones you all have suggested, so I really do appreciate you taking the time to post.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM

I have also been looking at sticks in this size range, having decided that the 7As I'd been playing were just a little too small.

Tried out the Weckl and the Zoro sigs at practice last night, Loved the cymbal sound and feel of the Weckl, but definitely had the feeling that it was "slipping" just the feeling though, I never did drop one, or send one flying through a PA speaker. Switched to the Zoro just in case, and at first they felt awful - like hitting an inside pitch with a wood bat when it's 30 degrees outside, but I think that was just me being to tight and gripping too hard, because the Weckls had felt slippery. By the end of the set they felt great, and from the little bit of the recording I heard were getting a really nice cymbal sound. Give em a shot if you're in that size range (they actually feel a bit "heavier" than the Weckl's - different wood? The vic firth website doesn't seem to specify what every sig line is made of woodwise)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Dave Weckl Original (SDW, SDWN)
Barrel tip for broad cymbal sound. Fast, with great leverage. Available in wood or nylon tip.
L = 16 1/4", Dia. = .560"

Los cabos
Jazz Hickory
Dia= .574
L= 16 1/4
With 1/4 extra length then most Jazz Drumsticks Los Cabos Jazz will put the soul in your playing. Get away from its name this stick is great for more then jazz. R&B, Soul, Blues, Funk, Light Rock, Folk, Hip Hop, Fusion and yes Jazz but the list goes on and on. Ask your dealer for Los Cabos Drumsticks

My Kit Latest Update