DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Default Harvey Mason

Always loved his playing. Amazing feel, and makes the simplest fill sound so good and well suited to a particular song. He never hits them too hard, sometimes v. delicate which I like. One of my fave traks of his is 'Danger' off Don Grusins 10kla album. Quite an over electronicly sounding album but his playing shines through at its best I think. On that track there are some fills towards the end just simple 2e,and,a on the snare and racks and its just soo amazing, not clinical, just so personal and really letting the groove be heard (N.East on really nice bass track). Love his stuff with ritenour too, like on the video on here. Also check out him on 'Grand piano canyon' for Bob James. First track is quality, again with N.East.

Any other fave tracks by him?...

Tim
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Harvey Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiscocks View Post
Any other fave tracks by him?...
Chameleon!*
Herbie Hancock
Harvey Mason on drums + Paul Jackson on the bass = FUNKY!

*(also check out the version of this on Gov't Mules "Deepest" end DVD, Jackson on Bass, Matt Abts on drums, Warren Haynes on Guitar, Bernie Worrel on keys, and the entire horn line from the Dirty Dozen Brass Band - including the sousaphone!)
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM

Ah yes! forgot his early stuff, where he made his name I suppose.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Pioneer Member

I am truly amazed that this is the first thread on Harvey Mason! He is one of the reasons I became s serious drummer - so much soul, so much groove, so much technique! He is a legend and is right up there with Gadd, Chambers and Colauita. I remember hearing Weekend in LA by George Benson and just being blown away by his playing. If you are a fan of his I strongly suggest Dave Grusin's tribute to Duke Ellington which has some of the best jazz playing I have ever heard to some great arrangements of some great songs. The version of Cotton Tail is a joy.

Paul
Old 02-23-2007, 03:11 AM

Very rarely do I hear a song on the radio that immediately grabs my attention but I was flipping through some satellite radio stations a few months ago and landed on a jazz piece that did just that. It was a piece by Hubert Laws (flute) where he had adapted a classical piece called Farandole by Georges Bizet (Carmen). The drum adaptation of this was a pure joy to listen to.

I'm not 100% certain of this but after doing a goodly bit of research it looks like Harvey Mason was the drummer on that track.

Ya just gotta groove.
Old 03-06-2007, 03:36 AM
Banned

1 of my all time favorites. He's one of the reasons I play. And he is really the reason why I listen so carefully to other musicians.

I too cannot believe this is the first thread dedicated to a guy who is on hundreds upon hundreds of albums.

I think this shows that many of today's drummers only listen to very few players. This is why to my ears most all sound the same.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Quin View Post
I am truly amazed that this is the first thread on Harvey Mason! He is one of the reasons I became s serious drummer - so much soul, so much groove, so much technique! He is a legend and is right up there with Gadd, Chambers and Colauita. I remember hearing Weekend in LA by George Benson and just being blown away by his playing. If you are a fan of his I strongly suggest Dave Grusin's tribute to Duke Ellington which has some of the best jazz playing I have ever heard to some great arrangements of some great songs. The version of Cotton Tail is a joy.

Paul
Well said Paul. Harvey is a Master behind the drums.
Also George Benson's "Breezin" and Grusin's "Mountain Dance".
Old 03-15-2007, 12:46 AM

what's your guys favorite album he's been on
Old 03-19-2007, 04:35 PM

Dave Grusin, Migration
Don Grusin, Banana Fish
Old 03-19-2007, 06:25 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm going for "Weekend in LA" by George Benson, also with Ralph McDonald on percussion - and Grusin;s tribute to Duke Ellington. I also like Harvey's playing on Journey by Fourplay.

Paul
Old 03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Pioneer Member

CAn anyone tell me what drums he used on the Headhunters album, especially the snare?
Old 04-16-2011, 08:58 PM

Anyone else?

Listening to a helluva lot of Headhunters and Man Child lately, and a little bit of Funk In The Mason Jar (thanks to Wy Yung, I saw a recommendation of that recently enough).

I'd love to check out more of his best stuff; but I could spend forever digging into these three records. The guy's playing is beautiful.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Platinum Member

I dug Harvey the first time I heard him with George Benson (Breezin', then the live Weekend in L.A.) - then another discovery was Herbie Hancock's "Sunlight" album. He's also a percussionist and is one of those first-call guys in L.A.. So he's in that inner circle with Joe Porcaro, Emil Richards, Larry Bunker....that groups of six guys that do everything here. He's like Buddy Rich to me - like what can you say besides, "Harvey Mason"? I'm sure I'm hearing him on all kinds of things throughout the day!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Silver Member

Been watching Lee Ritenour's Overtime quite a bit for the last month. Harvey Mason is truly one of the best of all time. His body of work rivals anyone.