DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Default drum heads that actually sound good.

im looking into buying new heads, i have a tama superstar set- about 700 in store- and i want to buy some resonably priced drum heads that (without rings or tape) will sound good. i want a sound that resonates and goes BOOM but without high pitched tones mixed in...

any suggestions?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:00 PM
adamjames

Default Re: drum heads that actually sound good.

I'm experamenting with Aquarian Performance 2's. You will get a boom with these but not much resonance or volume. The Studio X heads will give the sound you describe but the ones I had dented up too fast me. You could try Evans G 2's. I haven't tried them yet but I hear good things about them. As far as Evans goes, you could also try the EC line. They cut out the high end ring without choking the sound. Again, I haven't used them but I have heard many good reviews about them here on the boards. I'm not too fond of anything from Remo at this point but if you can get a good consistant set of pinstripes, they will also deliver what you are describing. Good luck!!
Old 10-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

oh yeah, i got crappy evans on the bottom.. if i wanted a better sound would i have to buy tops and bottoms for all of my drums? (i have 10,10,12, and 14 inch drums)
i dont want to spend over 80 dollars for new heads..
Old 10-13-2006, 08:45 PM
adamjames

well, if the bottoms aren't damaged you don't have to replace them. Then again, the sound they give depends on their weight. Are they G1's?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:50 PM

Try some Aquarian Super 2s. I have read nothing but good about these heads and I cannot wait to try them myself. Hell, I called Aquarian and talked to the owner, Roy Burns, about them at length today. They are two ply heads that are supposed to have plenty of tone with a lot of bottom end. Let us know where you end up.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Pioneer Member

I would have to say G2 or G2 coated. If you kind of want a deep warm sound i would go with evans hydraulics. They give a nice "boom".
Old 10-13-2006, 09:18 PM
drumzac

Most, if not all decent heads will have high pitched overtones. It's whether you know how to tune those out or not. You could get Aquarian Performance II's or Evans Hydraulics but I wouldn't recommend them at all.

Any good quality 1 ply or 2 ply head will ring. It's drums nature to ring. The reason why we don't hear ring on recordings is because of eq, compression, gating, etc... Drums do not sound like a recording in person and never will. As drummers we have to except that. If you want your drums to cut through the mix live without mics you need resonant drums, that means ring.

There is a difference between overtones and ring. Overtones should be pure and not worble this is achieved by heads that are in tune with each other, much like on a guitar when two strings are tuned together. Ring is usually caused by poor tuning or poor bearing edges, but I suspect most times it's tuning issues.

Any good 2 ply head would give you what you want. Aquarian Resonse II, Remo Emperors or Evans G2. Clear or Coated is up to you. If you want the extra warmth and some dampening then get coated. If you want nice attack and a good clear tone, go with clear.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:42 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

One thing that never seems to get mentioned is how you hit. All the heads and tuning won't help if you're just bashing and burying the sticks into the head. You'll sound lousy on anybody's kit doing that, it just might be varying degrees of lousy.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
it just might be varying degrees of lousy.
hahaha... "Hey Bill, how was last night Slipknot concert?"
"Varying degrees of lousy Tom."
Old 10-13-2006, 09:49 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetik
hahaha... "Hey Bill, how was last night Slipknot concert?"
"Varying degrees of lousy Tom."
Funny... we had a poster here before who sounded exactly like you.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat
Funny... we had a poster here before who sounded exactly like you.
I was riding the wave of anti-slipknotism from Rendezvous....(puked a little bit...)

Any commentaries or opinions similar to persons living or dead is coincidental.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
I was riding the wave of anti-slipknotism from Rendezvous....(puked a little bit...)
No, no... you appear to misunderstand.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
No, no... you appear to misunderstand.

I lurked here for almost a year, so likely, I am going to sound like several people.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:

I lurked here for almost a year, so likely, I am going to sound like several people.
That's a rather ironic sense of time, a year. Rather coincidental in fact.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
That's a rather ironic sense of time, a year. Rather coincidental in fact.
Coincidental to what?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

There was a certain member here who, shall I say, got himself excluded around about a year ago.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Synthetik

Quote:
There was a certain member here who, shall I say, got himself excluded around about a year ago.
Let me see, I remember reading you were leaving and a couple of big dramas, including Stu Strib as well. Yet you are both still here...coincidence?

Trace my IP and you will find it attached to the same house and ISP I have in Washington state. There is no consipiracy afoot.

The only other screen name I have used is "synthetictubs" and you can find that at drumdogs.com.

Other than that, if you take issue with anything I post, let me know. I can't help if I sound like someone else. Experiance will do that.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Now, now... let us all be good comrades here! I just had to use a line from a Sherlock Holmes novel. Anyway, as to the question of head selection, I would agree with the Aquarian Performance IIs. Also, Remo Pinstripes might work, too.

Mapex Pro M
Aquarian Studio X
Zildjian K
Paiste 802
Zildjian Rock sticks
DA BEARS!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:03 AM

I love the Aquarian Performance IIs for drums that are middle of the road or lower quality. That's what I have on my Ludwig rockers kit and they are the best sounding heads I have ever had on those drums.

For higher quality drums I like the Studio-X or Focus-X lines which take just enough off of the overtones to really make great drums sound great. The studio-x line cuts down on the resonance a touch more than the focus-x but both are pretty nice heads. I was using the studio-x line for quite a while on a set of DWs that I play on but we just switched over to the focus-x and it's a tough call between the two. If anything I'm leaning more towards the focus-x because they seem to let the drums "sing" just a little more.

Granted this is all from personal experience and I haven't exactly tried every head out there. I've played around with remo quite a bit and now Aquarian but do not have a lot of experience with evans so I can't necessarily say that they wouldn't have anything better. Will say that I never was crazy about any of the remos that I had. I do however have an Evans Genera on my snare and it sounds pretty good.

Ya just gotta groove.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:34 AM

I will throw my vote in for Evans EC2 Clear heads. They have made my Gretsch Birch kit sound fantastic, awesome low end with no annoying ringing. They aren't too pricey either, with a bit of cash-bargaining.

And they look cool!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:02 AM
Gold Member

i do have to say my coated ec2's are working quite nicely for me after having them for a couple weeks. very nice heads.

edit: actually after rereading your post, i see you want a resonating BOOM... coated ec2's are definitely

not the most resonant of heads. i might suggest clear studio x's.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Let me see, I remember reading you were leaving and a couple of big dramas, including Stu Strib as well. Yet you are both still here...coincidence?
The difference being we weren't banned. We came back on our own accord.

To the question at hand:

Classic solution of "Pinstripes-tuned-Low".
Old 10-15-2006, 02:38 PM

but pinstripes tuned pretty low just.... wobbles.

try getting pinstripes or EC2, tune the top not too tight (you can still press the center and push it down but just by a millimeter maybe) and tune the bottom head tight. Gives a boomy and tight sound with short decay. Very nice
Old 02-17-2007, 06:53 AM

i dunno if we're talking about bass drum heads too... but for a nice BOOM! i wouldn't change my superkick/regulator combo to anything else. the sound of that thing could fill a carnival tent. it's crazy, but it's got a good sound as well.

for toms, don't try remo coated ambassadors, and i wouldn't recommend aquarian performance II's, for the sad lack of volume (good sounding heads though). If you can find a nice pair of pinstripes, those can sound awesome, and they used to last a long time too.

i've also heard studio x's sound really good before, as well as fiberskyns (any thoughts, anyone?)
Old 02-19-2007, 12:02 AM

Although I once hated them, I would suggest Clear Pinstripes. Many often mix up the role of coated an clear, make sure you know what you are getting from both types.