DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-13-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Metal Heads?

Hi guys, I am getting a new set, and I am wondering what would be some good metal sounding heads? I have Evans Genera G2's on all of my heads, and they don't sound bad at all, I was just wanting something more metal-sounding. Also, what would be good bass drum heads for a metal feel? Thanks
Old 02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Metal Heads?

Aquarian Performance 2's are good for metal. They are dead as they are meant for loose tuning. They are very, very tough. They are 2 ply heads. Check them out here. The Super Kick 1 is an excellent head IMO, some like them, some don't. The Aquarian Hi Energy is an excellent head for the snare.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/

Last edited by wolfmoon; 02-13-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:22 PM

EC2's are perfect for metal. They are the evans equivalent of pinstripes or performance 2 heads.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhydianjlewis View Post
EC2's are perfect for metal. They are the evans equivalent of pinstripes or performance 2 heads.

They may be equal to pinstripes but they are not comparable to the Performance 2's in any way..
Old 02-13-2007, 08:41 PM

How are they not? Remo pinstripes are 2-ply + sealed around the edge, and performance 2's are 2-ply + sealed around the edge. Sound like pretty similar heads to me!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Silver Member

Trust me, I have used pinstripes for over 25 years. I just recently started using the Performance 2's. They are nothing like pinstripes or any other head made by any other company. You could compare The Responce heads to pinstripes.

Below is a partial list of a comparison chart from Aquarians site. Anyway, I think all the heads mentioned are good heads for metal. I haven't tried the EC 2's but many here have and they seem like they can do the job.

I don't know how else to really say it than try for yourself, if you can. The Performance heads are totally different than pins in sound, feel and durability. They are in a class of their own as are their Super 2 heads. I'm not saying they are the best or whatever.... just trying to explain why there isn't a comparison. That's all.

COMPARISON CHART

Aquarian Remo Evanss

TEXTURE COATED WITH SATIN FINISH
AQUARIAN'S Satin Finish outlasts all other coatings and will not "chip" off. A great traditional single ply coated head. COATED AMBASSADOR G1 COATED

RESPONSE 2 SERIES
These two ply heads snap with great attack and a full sound. They can be tuned tight or loose. The coated version has a "dry" and powerfull sound on the snare drum and toms. PINSTRIPE/EMPEROR CLEAR OR COATED G2 COATED/CLEAR

POWER THIN SERIES
A clear, single ply, medium weight head that features an ultra thin layer of our Power Dot material on top. NONE NONE

PERFORMANCE II SERIES
This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on tom toms. The Performance II is designed to be tuned loose for depth and punch with little over-ring. NONE NONE

CLASSIC CLEAR SERIES
A great clear single ply drumhead. Perfect for the tops or bottoms of tom toms. CLEAR AMBASSADOR G1 CLEAR

CLASSIC CLEAR IN VIDEO GLOSS COLORS
These single ply heads are available in smooth white or black. Recommended for the bottom of tom toms. EBONY SERIES/ SMOOTH WHITE RESONANT BLACK

CLASSIC CLEAR WITH POWER DOT
This clear single ply head features AQUARIAN'S patented Power Dot on top. CS BLACK DOT POWER CENTER FOR SNARE DRUMS

HI-ENERGY SNARE DRUMHEAD
A patented specialty snare head that features our unique Power Dot material for hard playing. NONE NONE
Old 02-14-2007, 05:25 AM

I think I'll definately look into them, thanks alot for your help!!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:43 AM

I had a set of the performance 2's then I switched to the Evans EC2 and then the Hydraulics and I can tell you in my case, and I am a hard hitter, the Evans did not hold up like the Aquarians did. The EC2 lasted me less than a month. The local drum shop just started to carry Aquarians so I will go back to them. The only snare head to really hold up to me theough was a Evans Genera HD dry, lasted twice as long as any other I have treid so far but I havent tried the Hi energy snare head. My advise, try a few different heads and see what you like and what works best for you.