DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 AM
Gold Member

Default Kelly Keagy

I was watching one of my bootleg concert DVDs of Nightranger last night and really thought Kelly Keagy did a great job playing in the songs.

Very simple but solid. He also sings half the songs that NR plays. He looks like he is having fun behind the kit.

Sister Christian was voted inside the top 20 80s drum songs in Modern Drummer this month.

Not too sure if there is a whole lot to say, but I really think he put some cool beats in those songs.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Kelly Keagy

Sister Christian was one of my favorite songs, and Kelly Keagy was one of a few drummers that initially inspired me to pick up the drums (others were Neil Peart and Gil Moore). Kelly Keagy has always been a great singer too. Sister Christian and Sing Me Away come to mind as all time favorites.

Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Gold Member

Great voice. Much better than Blades.

I liked his drumming in Touch of Madness. I love his vocal part in "when you close your eyes, do you dream about me".

Cool to see someone else enjoyed his playing
Old 02-14-2007, 05:36 AM

When You Close You Eyes was an awesome song. Great video too. Sentimental Street was another great song - I like that one more for Keagy's singing than hig playing.

It's funny 'cause I always think about the 80s as consisting of a bunch of cheesy music. But when I look back at that MD list of great drumming songs from the 80s, that list looks really good to me. Makes me miss the 80's!

Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 AM

Sing Me Away - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMZPBu5H9k4 (IMHO best fills at 3:20 to 3:38 although MD cites the build up toms to the chorus as the classic)

Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshu View Post
When You Close You Eyes was an awesome song. Great video too. Sentimental Street was another great song - I like that one more for Keagy's singing than hig playing.

It's funny 'cause I always think about the 80s as consisting of a bunch of cheesy music. But when I look back at that MD list of great drumming songs from the 80s, that list looks really good to me. Makes me miss the 80's!

Steve
I hear that! Great music from a great time of my life! Cheers.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Kelly Keagy is a great drummer imo, not only because of his talent on the set, but his voice and musical talent is amazing too! One of his new songs "I'm Alive" is awesome, power-rock at its best - http://myspace.com/kellykeagy
Old 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

Kelly is a textbook example of tasteful drumming. He plays for the songs. Night Ranger is one of my favourite 80s band and Kelly's drumming on their most "recent" studio album ("Seven" and "Neverland") is really good.

I also dig his groove on King Of Heats' "Midnight Crossing". He doesn't sing on this one and I found his drumming a bit looser (in a good way) than with NR.

My absolute Kelly Keagy song ever is "The Journey" off his first solo album "Time Passes". His singing is really top notch and his drumming is, as always, very solid and tasteful.

Kelly might not be Steve Smith but he's one of the very good drummers that came out in the 80s. I am glad he got mentioned in MD but I personally would have chosen another song to praise his playing.