DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-01-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Sticks For Practicing

What sticks do you use for practicing (I'm thinking primarily about pad practice)? It seems to me that it would be much better to use, I don't know, heavier sticks for practice so that when you're on the kit, playing with your bandmates or just practicing grooves, you have a feeling you're super fast.
Or maybe if you wanna play hard you should practice with lighter sticks so when you're on the kit you're hitting harder with your clubs?
The main point is : it seems reasonable to me to practice tehnique in a harder setting (e.g. faster, more precise) than when you're really gonna play so why not use sticks that will make your hand stronger? That being said, I must admit that I use the same sticks when practicing on the pad (I've been using the same VF 5a pair for, I don't know, 1-2 years) and when playing on the kit (most of the time it's VF 5a, but sometimes they don't have it at the store ), but I was thinking of changing that. What's your experience?

P.S. : my first post
Old 02-01-2007, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Sticks For Practicing

First welcome on drummerworld forum, have fun and enjoy your stay.

What I do for practicing on pad or pillow is I use any of my two pair of Zildjian sticks, since they aren't tough and durable as other brands. This way they are safe and they wont break using them !

My Kit Latest Update
Old 02-01-2007, 03:41 AM
Pioneer Member

I use all different kinds of sticks for practicing. Mainly my Aquarian 2B lites. They are really cool sticks with huge rubber grips to em. Because one side is much heavier, i can flip em and get a good workout with my arms without having to use a pillow. But alot of times, i just pick up sticks that i want to play around with. I like using really heavy sticks, then picking up lighter ones and just flying across the set. It all depends in the mood im in.

Edit- also the Aquarians are really hard to break. Crazy durable and i beat the hell outa them.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:02 PM

Recently I have been useing a few diffrent stick types. When playing I use Vater's Stewart Copeland stick a lot. I also use the Promark 747 a bit too. However I just experimenting with 2 other sticks. The Vater XD-Rock (these are tree limbs, but I was told I was not loud enough, how often does a drummer hear that?). The brings me to the last stick and the one I like to use on my drum pad. Zildjian 5B with anti-vibe. The anti-vibe just feels better on my hands when working on a pad.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 PM

using heavier sticks sounds like a good idea to build ur strength and stamina up, i'll have to try that...what i usually do is go to a music store, find a pair of sticks i like, and i buy several pairs, i use most on my kit to play w/ and i keep one pair for my practice pad. suprisingly i've made a lot of progress w/ my rolls and rudiments like this. although after playing with the sticks on my kit for a while the wood sort of chips off from the cymbals and rims and stuff so they feel a little lighter than the ones i use on my pad. practice makes perfect, and if u practice w/ what you use to play, u'll be fine.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:13 AM

I play with Promark 5A's, so I practice with Promark 5B's. Also, I'll turn the stick around and hold it closer to the tip and have the butt of the stick be what is striking the pad. This makes the stick feel a lot heavier since the butt is thicker than the tip.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:56 AM

I use Vic Firth American Classic ROCK for practising because they're way larger than my Vater Los Angeles 5As.

But when I play I end up with blisters anyway.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

I usually will use SDI General or Mike Mangini Signature Sticks. I like heavier and then will switch to 7AN or just plain old fashion 5A. Thats if I want to get fast, if I want to play heavy I just do the opposite. I usually don't want to play heavily or really all that fast. I like to have an equal balance between the two.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
I usually will use SDI General or Mike Mangini Signature Sticks. I like heavier and then will switch to 7AN or just plain old fashion 5A. Thats if I want to get fast, if I want to play heavy I just do the opposite. I usually don't want to play heavily or really all that fast. I like to have an equal balance between the two.

Peace
AGR
I too use the SD1 general. But for rudiment practice. I just love how balanced they are and they feel right in my hands.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Gold Member

Vater Manhattan 7A for life. I live by them. Just such a nice feel.