DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Default The Latest Incarnation

These photos aren't the best because of the frankly awful lighting situation in my room, however these are a couple of what I'm playing at the moment. That's right, bass, floor tom and snare. So, specifications as ever:

Kit- Tamburo Ash 422AM 6 Ply, 6mm Ash Shells.

22x16 Bass Drum
14X12 Floor Tom

Yamaha Musashi Oak 13x6.5 Snare

Sabian HH 14" Regular Hats
Sabian AAX 16" Studio Crash
Istanbul Traditional 20" Jazz Ride

DW5000 Single Pedal
Generic Cowbell

Assorted hardware including Tamburo Hi Hat Stand
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: The Latest Incarnation

Nice. I like the finish but where's the rest of your setup?
Old 02-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Why would he need more in his setup? d:
I liek the colour, warmish orange.
Old 02-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

I saw other pix that had 2 more toms... I think..
Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Nice. I like the finish but where's the rest of your setup?
The rest of my setup is around in various areas of my house. One tom is in my room, the other is in its case in the spare room and the old snare drum is just lying around minding its own business. I just felt like I had to strip right back down to basics, it was only last week that I started playing a floor tom again, and right now I'm only using it as a phone stand!
Old 02-12-2007, 07:22 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The rest of my setup is around in various areas of my house. One tom is in my room, the other is in its case in the spare room and the old snare drum is just lying around minding its own business. I just felt like I had to strip right back down to basics, it was only last week that I started playing a floor tom again, and right now I'm only using it as a phone stand!
Very nice :) I will probably do the same thing in the near future, just so I can work on my groove with out throwing alot of unnecessary fills in there. But with the new drums/cymbals coming in I have to use all of them for a little while atleast :)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Silver Member

MFB - I love the simplicity of the set up. I have to do that someday. Do you find new inspiration on a kit that size?
Old 02-12-2007, 07:45 PM
KARL MEMBER

hey mate, simple but I promise, those set-ups have something very hot man!
haha, just similar to ?uestlove`s line-up.

Do you plan to re-expand it to the bigger set-up?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Pioneer Member

That Brian Blade Fellowship album kicks ass.

G
Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I knew someone would notice the Brian Blade album, it's great Gregg, thanks for that one. I was listening to 'Bird on Triangle' today as well. Needless to say that I think your theory skills are far, FAR in excess of the requirement we were discussing a little while ago. I'm talking about you breezing that exam.

A kit this size lets me explore the individual tones of each piece. Ok, who am I kidding? It's partly because of the size of my room and partly because of the fact that I do 'feel' much better when playing without clutter. I'm a mentally cluttered person as it is (as most of you have probably noticed by now) so the last thing I need is a lot of drums lying around trying to confuse me.

Karl, no plans where I'm going to go with this one. It might get smaller, it might get bigger. But I really like this for now.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:03 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
and partly because of the fact that I do 'feel' much better when playing without clutter. I'm a mentally cluttered person as it is (as most of you have probably noticed by now) so the last thing I need is a lot of drums lying around trying to confuse me.
I feel the exact same way. While I have no problem on a larger setup like I'll be using, it is almost like a sigh of relief when you go to a smaller kit.

What size bass is that again, 22?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

A very truncated setup like that will force you to focus on the basics and really squeeze every tone possibility from what you have. If you ever do go back to a larger set, you'll be very far ahead.

Also, beautiful drum finish.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 02-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Administrator

So simple a caveman could play it. An American TV advert. I lovin' that snare man.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:40 PM
Gold Member

hahaha GRUNTERSDAD, thats my guitarists ring tone. (the song when hes on the airport moving walkway...)

Anyway.. looking very very cool Mfb. keep up the coolness.

Myspace-Add me!
Old 02-12-2007, 08:59 PM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
So simple a caveman could play it.
What's THAT supposed to mean???

The only problem I find that I have when I go with a smaller setup like this, is I can be creative as hell with it, and open up a whole new world of playing, but as soon as I add on more drums, I lose that and go back to old stuff.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:20 PM

I dig it, mfb. I would be perfectly content playing a setup like that and will probably do so at some point. Especially for gigging...so much easier to transport and set up.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:43 PM

What a coincidence, I'm listening to The Roots right now and I love what Questlove does with this minimalistic bass, snare, floortom setup. In fact I've been thinking about downsizing myself but I feel like I couldn't live without my 8inch tom and my double-bass and whatnot...
Then again, I'll have to move out soon so I'll have to downsize or start learning guitar. I've also been fascinated by really small drumsets like the sonor globalbeat or I might just...god you inspired me again, maybe I'll post some pics of my idea tomorrow.
Edit: I just couldn't wait until tomorrow, but this is just a clue, specs, better pictures and perhaps some soundfiles will follow in a new thread.
Attached Images

Last edited by Afrolicious; 02-12-2007 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Divine Intervention
Old 02-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Funny that Afro, I was just reading an old MD with a big interview with Ahmir and it was a great interview. Gave me a new perspective on a lot of things and I just got off my hiney and decided to play along to some Jaco Pastorius and a bit of Herbie Hancock. Great fun and very very possible with this small setup. Rimshots are a way of life right now.

DMC - The finish is nice, but these drums are nowhere near as nice as yours. I really admire your kit and wish that I could have something that nice to play, although I'm very happy with what I have now. I'm trying hard to get the most out of what I have in this case and it's proving a fun experience.

It is simple, although Stig of the Dump won't be making any calls around for a little while yet. Unless I grow my beard back.

Rob - That's why I'm trying something this small. Anything bigger and I get the 'toms, oohh shiny!' attitude and it's a bit pointless really when all I want to do is play a fun backbeat.

I haven't gigged with this setup, but I would most certainly like to give it a go. Thanks Jolly. It's a lot of fun.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

Thats cool. Everyonce in a while, i strip down my kit to get my creative juices going because it takes more effort to paint a picture with 3 colors. Then when you build back up, you can transfer that creativity on the rest of the instraments that are at your leisure
Old 02-12-2007, 09:57 PM

dig that setup MFB. you play guitar also? i have a similar classical guitar to the one on the left in the picture.

also, you mentioned a yamaha piano a while back...is that you also or someone else in the family?

-murph
Old 02-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

I play very bad guitar, two of those are actually my Dad's, the classical and the acoustic, but I play them a lot, lot more. The silver PRS is mine. The Yamaha Grand is actually my brother's, he's a bit of a musical prodigy (to say the least) and I'm the least musical of the two of us, playing only three instruments... I am or was a classical singer. Bet you didn't see that one coming...

Nice to see another member of the downsize parade Afro.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums View Post
What's THAT supposed to mean???

The only problem I find that I have when I go with a smaller setup like this, is I can be creative as hell with it, and open up a whole new world of playing, but as soon as I add on more drums, I lose that and go back to old stuff.

I t was aplay on a Geico commercial. It only meant that sometimes less is better.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I play very bad guitar, two of those are actually my Dad's, the classical and the acoustic, but I play them a lot, lot more. The silver PRS is mine. The Yamaha Grand is actually my brother's, he's a bit of a musical prodigy (to say the least) and I'm the least musical of the two of us, playing only three instruments... I am or was a classical singer. Bet you didn't see that one coming...

Nice to see another member of the downsize parade Afro.
very impressive mfb. and you're lucky to have musical family.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

You could use a stick bag.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Pioneer Member

+1

Nice little setup you have going on there mate, wish I could have my kit set up at home. I imagine stripping it down to basics would be so much fun. Your snare looks great too...heard v good things 'bout dem there Yammie snares!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

TC - That's actually my stick bag on the floor next to the kit, with all the sticks in it, just not put in the pockets, that's what happens when you pull all the sticks out looking for a 'special' pair and never put them back. It's a hench bag, there are pictures of it back in the gear section somewhere, but that's boring stuff.

Murph - Yeah, I'm very lucky to have a musical family. There's a trombone around as well if I ever feel the need to learn, but I'm passing for now to try and concentrate on playing what I already play, well. Seeing as I'm not exactly good at any of my instruments! Benny Greb I am not to say the least.

Titan - Consider soundproofing! You know how to do it and we both know that it wouldn't cost all that much to do, if it's worth it and you have the time. I play every day and I have a blast, especially on this little setup. I know you'd have a good time too and it's amazing how much regular practice makes, even if it's not particularly focused.