DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-24-2007, 09:33 PM

Default G2 or EC2

Ok, so i have had my new kit a couple of months now. I had originally thought i would get some clear EC2's when i upgraded the stock heads because thats what i have on my old CB kit. However, i'v decided i like some elements of the single-ply, clear stock heads.

I like the clarity of the tone and the fact that there is no 'flappy' sound at all when you hit the drums. I also like the tuning range better than the EC2's.

I cant really stick with a 1ply head because the durability is not good enough and i like the sound a bit more focused.

Would clear G2's give me a clear tone that is not flappy?
Or, should i get some more EC2's, because on a different kit they might sound much better.

The kit is a mapex m-birch with tom sizes: 8, 10, 12 and 14.

I would like to hear from mapex589 as he has the same kit and has tried out lots of heads on it.

sorry for the long post

any comments appreciated

Thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Guinness

Default Re: G2 or EC2

It's funny that this thread should pop up like this...I have been using G2 coated heads for a while now and recently bought a new kit and ordered a new set of heads to go with it, I must have been euphoric from just ordering the new kit (Pearl SMX Sessions Custom) because I actually ordered EC2 coated heads instead. The Ec2 pack has been b/o for about 2 weeks now and only yesterday did I call Musicians Friend and change my order to what I intended originally, although I was willing to give the EC2's a shot. The G2 heads are the best heads I have played on to this date. They control the overtones a bit, but do not choke out the resonance completely and give a nice warm/ round sound. The EC2 heads are supposedly even more warm and focused, but might be a bit too focused. The dampening ring looks a lot like the Remo Pinstripe design and I didn't care much for these heads at all. The EC2 are supposedly a better design, although I cannot vouch for them at this point. The only knowledge I have of them comes from the reviews of users and the information provided on Evan's website. I will probably one day give them a try, but right now I'm just going with what I know works for my preference. The Evans site offers a very helpful chart to navigate you in the right direction whilt selecting the right head.

Scott
Old 01-25-2007, 01:49 AM

If you like single ply heads but want more durability, go with clear g2's. They are great heads that wont kill the sound of your drums but are very durable. I hated the ec2s because they dont have a very wide tuning range and unless you like your drums tuned very low, they are useless.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
If you like single ply heads but want more durability, go with clear g2's. They are great heads that wont kill the sound of your drums but are very durable. I hated the ec2s because they dont have a very wide tuning range and unless you like your drums tuned very low, they are useless.
I bought ec2s for all my toms. ended up keeping them only on the 16 and 18. I then put g1s on my 8 and 10 to give them a bit more projection, put g2s on my 12 and 13 and like I said, kept the ec2s on my 16 and 18. They sounded great together.

On my new kit, I have g2 over g1 on all my toms. I might change my 8 and 10 to g1s, but I am staying away from the ec2s. They do kill your tom's sound.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I bought ec2s for all my toms. ended up keeping them only on the 16 and 18.
Thats great, because i was thinking of mabye putting an EC2 on the floor tom as i like a slightly more dead sound for the floors.

I will probably go G2 clear but with an EC2 on the floor tom.

One extra thing, what is the difference between G2's and Emperors in terms of sound, durability etc...

thanks for the help guys
Old 01-31-2007, 04:03 AM

I ordered G2's and G1 for batter and reso, respectively, a while back. They've been being delivered to my house in waves, and today I finally got a pair of batter and resos of the same size together. I put them on my 12" tom -- this is a Pearl Export EX kit -- tuned them, and it sounds MAGICAL. I was a little afraid that the G2 would muffle the drum too much, but it was perfect. Just enough tone and sustain for my taste.

I recommend the G2, especially if you lean more toward single-ply heads.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 AM

The EC1's are coming out soon. I don't know when though, but a 1 ply EC head sounds like a pretty cool idea. Has anyone on the forum played them yet?
Old 01-31-2007, 04:42 AM
larlev

if you don't like the plastic/flappy sound with the g2's...try the aquarian super-2's.......you'll have what you want
Old 01-31-2007, 04:04 PM

G2's all the way, just bought some for my premier artist series kit....sounds really good now
Old 02-03-2007, 05:57 AM
Platinum Member

I have a G1 on my snare batter side now and I really love it. It was the first Evans head I had tried. I just ordered EC2s and Glass Resonant for my toms. So far I have only put them on my 13" rack. I have it tuned about medium, and it's a nice 'warm' focussed tone. I actually tuned as close as I could to 'A', and it sounded pretty good. The EC2 gave a real nice attack. The Glass Resonant added just a bit of ring at the end. However, it is a pretty big contrast to the G1 I have on my snare. I'm letting my snare just rip right now. The toms seem kind of quiet next to that snare. Close miked I think they would sound great.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Very true. I noticed a big change when I equipped my G2s. I like the low sound though. ;)
Old 02-03-2007, 05:45 PM

EC2 on floor is a good idea. My kit's got stock 1 ply heads on 10 and 12, G2 on 14 and 16.

I just prefer the sound of stock heads over G2s for the 10 and 12. But its a matter of taste and time. Maybe in a few months i'll put in the G2, then a few months later my ambassador heads. I've yet to try singles again on floor
Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhydianjlewis View Post

I would like to hear from mapex589 as he has the same kit and has tried out lots of heads on it.

Thanks
I know what you mean about the sound of the 1 ply heads. I was pretty into the sound of the stock 1ply remo heads that came with my M Birch but only for a little while. I liked the attack from the heads, I think it was because I was not used to the sound. I got sick of it pretty quick though and tried some G2 clear heads but I thought they sounded kinda flappy, papery sounding. I went back to the EC2 clear on the batter side and G1 clear on for the resonant side. I really like the sound I get from the birch with that combo. I find the EC2's very easy to tune and I get nice resonance from the toms. I just tuned up last night and they sound great.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapex589 View Post
I know what you mean about the sound of the 1 ply heads. I was pretty into the sound of the stock 1ply remo heads that came with my M Birch but only for a little while. I liked the attack from the heads, I think it was because I was not used to the sound. I got sick of it pretty quick though and tried some G2 clear heads but I thought they sounded kinda flappy, papery sounding. I went back to the EC2 clear on the batter side and G1 clear on for the resonant side. I really like the sound I get from the birch with that combo. I find the EC2's very easy to tune and I get nice resonance from the toms. I just tuned up last night and they sound great.

I went and bought some clear emperors, which should arrive anytime now. I wanted a little less dampening than the EC2's give, so it seemed like the right choice. Fingers crossed it was!

And... are you sure it was clear G2's that sounded flappy and papery, because its usually coated heads that have a papery sort of attack?!?!?

thanks a lot
Old 02-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Gold Member

I just replaced my coated G2's with some clear G2's and I love the sound. They are on some 89' Keller shelled DW's with Remo ebony ambassadors on the bottom. They sound way better than the coated G2's.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/a...8&d=1170016621

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Pioneer Member

G2 clear over G1's are the best head combination I have personally tried -- I have them on 2 of my three kits. They would be on all three except i dont play one of them anymore. Excellent heads in every way.

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 AM
Pioneer Member

G2's are your better choice by far. I don't think I'll ever go back to EC2's.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:15 PM

I ordered Clear Emps and Ambs because they are cheaper than the evans alternatives, and sound prety much the same according to most people.

Annoyingly, they still haven't arrived. It was 24 hour delivery but it has been over a week! Called the delivery company and they said tomorow or wednesday, hopefully tomorow as im recording on wednesday!

What a fuss!

Do you think i'll be impressed with the sound of the emps on my new m-birch kit?
Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 PM
Pioneer Member

You'll be impressed, but you might notice the coating coming off quickly. When I used Remo, the coating came off pretty dang fast.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:38 AM

lol, i probably won't using clear heads XD