DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-02-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Bill Cobham the best drummer?

different strokes and all that, but there is no question that cobham was, is and always will be a phenomenal drummer. powerful, inventive, articulate... we could go on and on!

i was listening to 'vital transformation' this morning, from his earlier days with mahavishnu, and billy is just SICK!!

i really enjoy watching him play, too. very unique approach.

you can agree to disagree with your friend, but you should definitely check out some cobham before you make blanket decisions.

there are MANY incredible drummers out there, and they each have something distinctive to offer.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Pioneer Member

I have a crack team of six scientists and a kid on acid still trying to figure out what he played w/ Mahavishnu.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:59 PM

different eyes see different things and different hearts beat on different strings
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Silver Member

at least he has great taste. its not like he's saying that about travis barker like so many do. whenever people talk great drummers, billy ALWAYS comes up.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player
My friend scotty thinks bill cobham is the best, fastest and overall greatest drummer out there. I disagree with him but he won't listen. Can any of you help me and tell me why you agree or disagree with him. I personally think there are definitley some better drummers , please help!

Hey Tama Player.

The 'best' anything is way too subjective. Human opinion is colored by far too many variables/emotions/experiences/tastes to be objective. It pretty much comes down to the way that DogBreath explained it... i.e. you're both right/wrong, and neither of you is right/wrong.

-Michael

* Cannons: Pearl SMX *
* Fodder: Evans G2 *
* Ignition: Pro-mark/Los Cabos *
* Ammo: Sabian HH*
Old 06-02-2006, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Underhill
I have a crack team of six scientists and a kid on acid still trying to figure out what he played w/ Mahavishnu.

I was wondering where he wandered off to!
Old 06-02-2006, 11:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Billy Cobham was as talented as they come. The man could adapt in almost any situation. Amazing AMAZING drummer. The man played every note with love and care. So much emotion in his playing.

This is one of my favorite clips of Billy...Sure he's not blowing you away with his chops in this one, but he sure knows how to get the most out of each beat. He looks like he is in heaven. Such a beautiful song.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rME1WvYeB...Billy%20Cobham
Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 AM
Pioneer Member

one of my favorites. again he's not showing off his chops here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8ae3l12PM...Billy%20Cobham
Old 06-03-2006, 05:59 AM
Platinum Member

Some of you make it sound like he's dead or somethin.' Actually he's been tearin' it up in Europe for the past 20 years, soundin' better than ever because he has 20 years of maturity and experiences to go with those chops. Us Americans sometimes forget there is this other world out there with butt kicking players, including some of our own guys who just get tired of our dog eat dog competition vibe. Now I think our competiveness is what makes American music very great. But it probably burns out alot of people too.

Guys like Cobham who wanted to be involved in more complete jazz projects are appreciated more in Europe than they are here. Here, he'd have to revamp his image and all that garbage before people would accept him changin' directions.

This isn't to say that he still wouldn't rise to the top in the states with his old audience, even with the rise of VC and Weckl, two guys that I think owe Cobham a great deal. But out there it just seems more pleasant for an artist, and I think a guy like him is entitled to somethin' like that.

These people who make such big deals about how he accidentally hits rims and such are out of their minds for bein' all wrapped up in that, because I think we drummers are the only people who even pay attention to all that.

Yeah had he stayed in the States, we would probably be lookin' at him as a giant god of drums instead of seein' him in a thread that brings some of that into question. Is he the greatest? I say no. Is he better than some of the drummers already mentioned here? I say yes. Is he a top guy who brought more than his share to the table? Certainly so.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:46 AM
Pioneer Member

The first time I saw Billy Cobham I couldn't get over how huge his kit was. He had four base drums. He was also the first person I saw to use octobans. Cobham is an incredible fusion drummer but I think Louie Bellson, in his prime, was better in my opion.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath
Have you ever heard of "personal opinions"? In your friend's opinion, Cobham is the geatest, and therefore he is right. You feel different... and therefore your friend is wrong? Is he wrong about his favorite flavor of soda pop, too?
Dogbreath,

Before I say it, let's just make everything clear with everyone that there is no such thing as a greatest drummer. Or at least there hasn't been for the past 20 years lol *cough cough "Buddy" cough cough*.

But yes, just because his friend's opinion is that he is the greatest, doesn't make it right. If someone IS something then it is factual, not opinion based. If they THINK that person is, THEN it is opinion based. That's like saying if someone believes that apples are better than bananas, then they are. Lol, just thought I would try and clear that up.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:01 PM

Awesome video that toteman2 linked - I love to see Billy Cobham playing on the simpler kits... the big/huge kits are impressive for sure but the best players can make a regular kit sound humongous :)

As far as is Mr. Cobham the best? Well, it depends who you ask LOL! I certainly have a ton of respect for his skills and continued contributions to the music and drumming world.

Oh, yeah, and I wish I was ambidextrous like him... my left hand is extremely useless (been working on it but with very little progress). I wonder how many drummers end up being fairly ambidextrous.
Old 06-03-2006, 06:09 PM

Some things are subjective but I think we can all agree on one thing...this guy has serious fashion issues:

Old 06-03-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLittle
Some things are subjective but I think we can all agree on one thing...this guy has serious fashion issues:

hey man, for its time.......that hat was revolutionary

i always wanted one of those shirts, with the silkscreen of a suit on them
Old 06-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Senior Administrator

there is no such thing as a best drummer...sheesh.

i like conham but he is nowhere near my own personal top ten favourites. if your mate believes that a drummer who is better than all others exsists then tell him fromme he needs to open his eyes and learn more about drumming.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM

Default Billy Cobham and Mahavishnu From '72. VERY Impressive.

It takes a while to load, but it's worth it. Check out Cobham from 23:00 - 24:00 or so. Unbelievable.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...ohn+mclaughlin
Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Billy Cobham

b.c.'s a definite influence...as a teenager it was moon,baker and mitchell,but when i heard"spectrum",i fell out...and then mahavishnu....he's like power drumming with speed and clean chops. thru him and his fusion/rock bent i LATER discovered buddy,tony,elvin,de johnette,weckl,etc. but it was billy who opened those doors to hearing these greats. i went to his clinic a few years ago,,just phenomenal chops,ambidextrous,showing us how to use different rudiments(especially paradiddles)around the set.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 PM

Cobham's problem (if it is a problem), is that he is a poor marketer of himself. The fact that he is a phenomenal drummer doesn't mean much if no one knows it. Another fact is that most people in the world have never heard of him, Dave Weckl, Vinnie, etc. And an amazing number have never heard of Buddy Rich. If you were to poll 1000 people, I think we'd be amazed at how few recognized the names of those folks. Being drumming enthusiasts we think that everyone knows who they are, but it ain't true.

It's all about marketing. Look at the success of no-talents like Brittney Spears and Paris Hilton.

We all know that there is no such thing as the best drummer. What there really is, is the drummer whose style we like best.

At a certain level of musicianship, one could say that those folks are pretty much equal in skill level. At that point, it's about style preference.

Is Cobham the best ever? In my mind he is. But someone else would say Ringo Starr is. And we'd both be right.

One thing that I don't agree with is when someone says that there are better drummers than Billy Cobham. It makes me wonder how familiar they are with his work. I seriously doubt that there is a better drummer than B.C.. One may like another's style better, but that's as far as it can credibly be taken.

Also, are we talking about what he's doing now, or when he was revolutionalizing drumming in the 1970s and '80s?

P.S. I am kidding about Ringo. :)

Last edited by jbc6; 02-11-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:59 PM

i agree with your statements (execept the one about ringo,who was perfect for the beatles, however) B.C. is among my favorites. but i agree there is no "best" when these guys get to a master level (however that could be defined...by the number best-selling records,is it by affirmation of the the drumming community and or other world-class drummers?) and ther are so many styles where one master drummer will be better in that style,than another,but they are both great.and yes billy was an innovator, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,so thru the years many younger drummers made a study of him,learned and improved on the original.but that in no way detracts from his greatness.the evolution of drumming continues...
Old 02-11-2007, 08:48 PM

Spectrum is an amazing album. Cobham is so versatile, it's mind-boggling.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
My friend scotty thinks bill cobham is the best, fastest and overall greatest drummer out there. I disagree with him but he won't listen. Can any of you help me and tell me why you agree or disagree with him. I personally think there are definitley some better drummers , please help!

well, man, if you look at it on paper, billy was ther first (that i know of) to switch the order of his toms around in such a peculiar fashion, he was one of the first (if not the first on the scene) to champion the left hand lead/open handed approach to playing, he was a direct influence on just about every drummer from that era inc: dennis chambers, chancelor, bozzio, omar hakim, VINNIE, gary husband (if im thinking of the right person - level 42 cat), and of course carter beauford. w/ that kinda' respect from some of the heavyweights of the drumming community he must be doing something right.

its okay for him to think that cobham is the best in the world. its his life and his musical career and there is no right or wrong way to approach it.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 PM
fusssion

I can't stand watching Billy solo.....I think he's best in a band situation! PERSONAL OPINION.

I saw him back in the 80's at this little club in Michigan ......it was great. I loved his WARNING album!! WOW
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM

I'll get to see him next month at a clinic he is doing here in Houston. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 02-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusssion View Post
I can't stand watching Billy solo.....I think he's best in a band situation! PERSONAL OPINION.

I saw him back in the 80's at this little club in Michigan ......it was great. I loved his WARNING album!! WOW
i still love bc's solos, but i gotta agree that hearing him in an ensemble setting is where he really shines. his phrasing is fantastic, and he does little simple tricks to turn what is often a relatively easy phrase to play into something interesting. also, he seems to be the last of the jazz drummers to me (or at least one of the last) in that he is very top heavy in his playing (meaning he plays a lot w/ his hands) vs a guy like Vinnie who plays a lot of "drumset" oriented vocabulary.

"Warning" is a classic album and was one of my first billy albums. its also a classic lineup for his band too. if you havent heard it, check it out.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadrum View Post
well, man, if you look at it on paper, billy was ther first (that i know of) to switch the order of his toms around in such a peculiar fashion, he was one of the first (if not the first on the scene) to champion the left hand lead/open handed approach to playing, he was a direct influence on just about every drummer from that era inc: dennis chambers, chancelor, bozzio, omar hakim, VINNIE, gary husband (if im thinking of the right person - level 42 cat), and of course carter beauford. w/ that kinda' respect from some of the heavyweights of the drumming community he must be doing something right.

its okay for him to think that cobham is the best in the world. its his life and his musical career and there is no right or wrong way to approach it.
I of course relise this now (I was way more ignorant last year). He doesnt think he's the best anymore, but I do not interfere with him. My friend used to be a really good jazz player, but has now turned metal. Nothing wrong with that, but now he thinks Joey Jordinson is the best. Oh boy! He told me this and I looked him right in the eye and said, "Thats great, I think he's pretty cool too" and then just walked away. He's a cool guy and an excellent player. He's fast as hell too! But not really my favorite drummer...

Peace
AGR
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Pioneer Member

Favorite Billy Cobham album - Glass Menagerie Obseravtions &. I bought this album when I was 14. The playing and writting are really fine!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 02-15-2007, 02:26 PM
fusssion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadrum View Post
"Warning" is a classic album and was one of my first billy albums. its also a classic lineup for his band too. if you havent heard it, check it out.
YES...and Power Play is a very nice one too!!
Old 02-16-2007, 01:31 AM

played "tinsletown" from power play to death when i first got it. and "bahama mama" from "alivemotherforyou" with alphonso johnson and steve kahn. back in the day.(lp's)
Old 02-21-2007, 03:15 PM

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/C...|691&aid=28111

Check that out!
Cobham Concert from '78, with Future American Idol Judge Randy Jackson on the bass guitar, no less. Haven't checked it out myself yet, I'm at work, but it oughta be interesting at worst (you do need to sign up to listen - free)
Old 03-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Cobham is definetly in my 5 top drummers. His groove, speed, technique and POWER(!!) Still can't understand why he is so unfamous... Many doesn't know nothing about him. Mahavishnu Orchestra forever!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:39 PM

Billy Cobham is really amazing i think though the reason he isn't extremely popular is because Mahavishnu Orchestra is really accesbile or an easy listen
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 AM

mahavishnu is not an easy listen.granted years have passed,i have to be in the right mood to listen(i still prefer the dregs as far as fusion.) whenever i need a shot of inspiration i put on some mahavishnu or the dregs or some of billy's solo work. i saw his cinic about 10 years ago,up close and personal. the exercises with paradiddles around the kit to bulid speed was astounding.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 AM

what do you guys think of his work with George Duke
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 AM

Got the Goege Duke/ Billy Cobham live in Europe and it is great !

Cobham was one of the last revolutionnary drummers.

When he came out into the scene, every drummer thought : this guy is just too good to be true !
Old 03-19-2007, 08:34 PM

Sooooo good!
His project with Herbie Hancock and Ron Carter was very great! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DYBTBv_h4CQ)
But I like too his experience with Mahavishnu....INTERESTING!

Keep swingin'
Antoine
Old 04-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your Thoughts On Billy Cobham?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc6 View Post
Hey, it's just my opinion, but I like B.C. the best. I threw something on another board, and some folks said that he's a sloppy drummer. That surprised me. I'm no musician, but I always thought that he played cleanly and accurately.

Here's the site: http://www.musicianforums.com/forums...d.php?t=446132

Here's one of the quotes if you don't want to go there:

"He is a good drummer. However he'll never be one of the greats. There's a simple reason for this.

He ALWAYS is catching rims or his sticks. Even on studio recordings there's clicks and clacks all over.

If you can't play clean, then you shouldn't be trying to play so fast. There's a slew of drummers who play with as much speed, power and creativity who never catch a rim. Let alone multiple times in a given song, on record."

I'm not sure what to think!
A full year later this same guy is still at the same place at the same forum bashing Billy Cobham senseless over the rims issue. But check out what he's saying now.

You won't believe it. Also check out this 24 year old man's post count.

I'll just let the posts speak for themselves.
http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/s...61&postcount=4

http://www.sputnikmusic.com/forums/s...9&postcount=35
Old 05-01-2007, 01:36 AM

That's funny. What a total idiot that guy is.

Hey, I checked out that site with live Billy, and there is some good stuff here.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/ConcertDetail.aspx?id=20052449|691&aid=28111
Old 05-01-2007, 03:22 PM
SickRick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc6 View Post
That's funny. What a total idiot that guy is.
No man, that is NOT funny. That is the worst unfunny crap I have ever read on the whole friggin internet and it is a scandal that such an idiot is still allowed on that forum.

That does say something about the moderation of that place. The mods must be asleep or on vacation to tolerate that.

We should really stand together and do something about that. Have you read some of his other posts? The racist comments about Billy Cobham are just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM

i find it funny that someone would use vinny to validate his claims that billy is a sub par drummer when vinny lists billy cobham as ONE of his MAJOR influences. sounds like this guy on the other forum doesn't know his history.......
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Billy Cobham

Could'nt find a specific thread on him so here's one.
Great feel,can play any style,super quick without pounding the drums,amazing cymbal techniques. A true legend in my eyes with one of the most versatile drummers you will see.