DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-02-2006, 02:01 AM

Default Not to be outdone by Fat Elvis or Larlev, next...

Off to class, but thought I would post these of the new addition, I'll let the pictures do the talking, more details to follow... Fat Elvis, Larlev, you're it!
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Not to be outdone by Fat Elvis or Larlev, next...

Killer kit Dingbat! I'm usually not a fan of sparkles, but your kit just oozes cool man. The black hardware just really sets the silver off. Awesome!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

I like, I like. When your back from class, be sure to post the specs. And also, won't you need a few more additions to outdo Fat Elvis and Larlev; as far as I'm aware they each bought 5 kits this year. Good luck....

Biz
Old 11-02-2006, 02:27 AM
Silver Member

I love the black hardware, dude. Did that come standard/cheap option for that kit, or did you have to buy those seperate?

Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

I symply love RMV kit, they are on top of my list with Mapex Saturn for futur kit upgrade (I hope !).

Which series is it ? Is it the X5 with studio or stadium shell ?

Bapeva is a very nice sounding resonant hard wood.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
Synthetik

That's a killer color combo!

How does the kit sound? is it more toward attacky, or more toward warm?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:13 AM
nhzoso

Very nice, I know you went to school but we need some specs, what kind of wood is it? etc.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:27 AM

Well this is kit number 4 so I'm close to the other two rascals. Ok, on to the show.

The specs -

RMV drums of Brazil, have been making percussion/drum products since 1975, they have to know what they are doing.

Granite Sparkle - a wrap that is thinner than most, absolutely beautiful in it's appearance, like a high quality lustrious metal flake paint applied to a car, not a traditional sparkle or glass glitter appearance. Looks like light gun metal grey with "fairy dust" sprinkled generously throughout. Kits also available with satin oil finishes as well as various wraps, sparkle and others.

Shell - Bapeva aka "Brazilian maple", 18% harder than North American maple, 30% harder than high quality birch (according to their website). Ply/thickness in the studio shell configuration of 4mm with 2mm reinforcing rings top and bottom (also available are the stage shell at 4mm sans reinforcing rings or the stadium shell at 6mm), very thin shell that absolutely packs a sweetness of tone that is unbelievably the best of both high quality maple and birch shells. Clarity of attack, blossoming mids, warm full sonoros lows and beautiful sustain without any "boinginess" or finicky high frequency ring. Shell construction appears to be similar to the Pearl method of "scarf joint" when laying up the plys end to end.

Hoops - 2.3mm black powder coat (black hardware is a standard option)

Sizes - 8x7, 10 x 8, 12 x 9, 14 x 13, 16 x15, 14 x 5.5 snare, 22 x 18 kick (did not have the 16ft or 8 tom set up.

Heads - RMV built in-house brand, single ply clears, high quality (they use high quality film purchased from DuPont). No need to change these heads out, they sound fantastic, unless you are looking for a specific sound, otherwise easily comparable to Ambassadors, G1's or Aquarian Classics seated on a high end kit.

Bearing edges cut at 60 degrees on toms, 45 degrees on snare and bass drum, sharp, true, the drums are pure bliss to tune quickly with no muss and no fuss, a testament to the edge integrity.

Lugs, claws and tom mounting brackets - injection molded carbon fiber/abs polymer plastic of sorts. They are strong and light, this makes all the drums light, the bass drum exceptionally so given its size, great when you have to haul your drums to the gig.

FT legs and BD legs - don't worry, they are black powder coated steel, no polymers here.

Lugs inserts/tension rods - smooth action when screwing tension rods in the lug insert, like "butta". Lugs only attached to the shell with one screw, less metal contact. Isolated from the shell with a rubber mounting grommet.

I will not mince words here, am not imagining things or pulling your legs and would absolutely be thrilled if everyone could put aside their pre-concieved notions about this kit or that kit and have the pleasure and opportunity to give this set a go and listen to the harmonious music this thing makes - this kit sounds superb, take your choice, DW Collectors, Sonor Delite, Pearl MMX, Yamaha Maple Absolutes. Ludwig Maple Classics and the list goes on. From what I have read while doing my research and from the owner of the shop I purchased this kit from, these drums have been compared favorably to the famed and prized Brady kits of Australia from a sonic perspective. This is absolutely in no uncertain terms, one of the finest sounding kits I have ever owned and one of the nicest sounding I have ever played.

Now that I have your undivided attention with regards to sound, I will be honest in my assessment with component/parts quality. No this kit is not built with diecast hoops, smooth finished metal hardware/bracketry, quality chrome, deep and wet lacquer finishes or other delicious parts that adorn high end quality kits. Everything that needs to be adjusted on the mounting hardware needs a drum key, which is a pain in the arse, but given the quality of sound, I am willing to compromise. The injection molded parts are not finished absolutely glass smooth, but they are light and strong and contribute to the excellent sonic quality and resonance of the drums due to less mass. The interior of the shells are not sanded smooth like my Tayes and the bass drum hoops are not finished as well. Bottom line, this kit is not finished to Sonor Designer asthetic standards; synthetic hardware may not be everyone's cup of tea, but the sound will blow your mind, and it's ultimately the sound that counts, right? My Taye Studio maples are excellent drums, beautiful in appearance, finished to high quality standards, built solid with alot of ingenuity and sound fantastic, and as a complete package, it is with no doubt better than the RMV's, but in my honest assessment the RMV's sound just as well, if not a little better for certain applications. It's all in the wood and if these bapeva shells were available raw, like keller maple shells, I gurantee drum builders would be lining up by the masses and keller would have something to really worry about. I have a gig this weekend and am positive this thing will absolutely KILL when I mic it up. This, along with Taye, has got to be the best kept secret in drums.

Here is RMV's website to learn more - www.rmvdrums.com, and their Brazilian market site http://www.rmv.com.br/

Last edited by dingbat; 12-24-2006 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 AM
larlev

Oh man here we go.......

Nice kit man....I have ran across RMV several times without actually sitting down and playing on one....

Next time I'll check them out....

You think you can get me some 'Rubios"......maybe freeze the tacos and overnight them.....kidding....I miss that place

What are you going to school for???? I noticed the avatar, had to ask.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:31 AM

Larlev, definitely check out the kit if you have a chance. Like I said, it's not finished as nice as many of the quality offerings from the big manufacturers, although I have not had a chance to look at a satin finish in the flesh, and the brazilian RMV website shows that for the home market, they are making the kits more upscale with lacquer finishes, die cast hoops and maybe some hardware changes http://www.rmv.com.br/ , but the sound is just so sweet. Frozen fish tacos for shipping probably wouldn't taste so good after thawing, but I'll go to Rubios in your honor! I am going to school to continue on with some nursing education to further my career.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:44 AM
larlev

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat
Larlev, definitely check out the kit if you have a chance. Like I said, it's not finished as nice as many of the quality offerings from the big manufacturers, although I have not had a chance to look at a satin finish in the flesh, and the brazilian RMV website shows that for the home market, they are making the kits more upscale with lacquer finishes, die cast hoops and maybe some hardware changes http://www.rmv.com.br/ , but the sound is just so sweet. Frozen fish tacos for shipping probably wouldn't taste so good after thawing, but I'll go to Rubios in your honor! I am going to school to continue on with some nursing education to further my career.
LOL....probably not a good idea on the tacos ......damn....

I was just asking.....I am from SD...I was a medic back in the early 90's.....grew up in Tierrasanta.....
Old 11-04-2006, 03:54 AM

Get out of the medic/health field? That's crazy, I live in Tierrasanta! Did you go to the local HS off Tierrasanta Blvd and Santo Rd?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 AM
larlev

Quote:
Get out of the medic/health field? That's crazy, I live in Tierrasanta! Did you go to the local HS off Tierrasanta Blvd and Santo Rd?

Yep.... Serra HS was my old stomping grounds.....whew that was a long time ago....

I had my sites on PA school.....but one thing led to another.....and I ended up in Texas.
Back then we didn't get paid worth a damn...so it was an easy decision...It all worked out for the best..no regrets
Old 11-04-2006, 04:33 AM
Platinum Member

Nice kit. I was looking at RMV's a few years ago. Will Calhoun had left Sonor and was playing RMV's, if my recollection is correct, which caught my eye. I was checking them out at the NAMM show, and they were some mighty fine drums. Certainly if you want to drive a kit that no one else in town has, this would be a good one.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Pioneer Member

Dingbat...

That RMV kit is beautiful. I am happy that someone bought one because I have oftened wondered about their sound. From reading about them, they appeared to offer a WHOLE lot of bang (and sound) for the buck. I am a big fan of the sparkle as well. I love the virgin kick as well. Very nice indeed.

As far as the race goes, my number is only four this year, so you and i are a click behind larlev -- well, that is if he indeed pulls the trigger on the DW/Delite he has his eye on. I think i am at 4 anyway.... yeah, four.

We have Rubios here in vegas too -- which THANK GOD because i am also from san diego, and it is already hard enough to live without Togo's or Pasta Bravo.... thankfully i can have the world's best fish taco when the mood strikes me.

So, the kit you are playing now is the RMV, i take it.

Mine currently is the Starclassic.

Larlev? The ddrum? Getting in your last playing time before the sale?

This is me.

This is what I do.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:59 AM

SO GERAT !
I played on of these kits ona festival . it had a HOLY LOAD of anatolian cymbals too !
They sound really great and all the black hardware is really eye catching

Great stuff man i envy you fot hat set !
Old 11-04-2006, 02:15 PM
larlev

Dingbat....I read more from the website...those kits do offer some nice features..
What dealer in SD did you get that from???

Fat Elvis......I won't be buying anything until after PASIC this weekend.....I have to send the chad snare back...It looks like the shell is out of round..I'll know more later...
Old 11-04-2006, 04:20 PM

Did not buy the kit locally, don't think there is an independant dealer in San Diego, got the drums from http://www.bentleysdrumshop.com in Fresno, CA, the largest North American RMV dealer. Dana the owner is very nice, knowledgable, great customer service and very quick delivery. Another site that has RMV also is www.indoorstorm.com . Just a quick note about the wrap on the kit, like I mentioned earlier, it is thinner than wraps on other kits such as my PDP CX, you can feel places on the drum (pressing lighty with your finger) where it is not adhered to the shell, however, this does not lend itself to ripples or distortions as there is no evidence of such, the wrap could almost be mistaken for a lacquer by how smooth and well done it is. There is a half a centimeter space from the top of the bearing edge to the edge of the wrap, so no bearing edge-wrap contact, a good thing, unlike my CX where the wrap goes all the way up to the bearing edge of the drum. I could be wrong, but am convinced that the wrap is applied without the use of glues or adhesives, only adhered at the seams that overlap, and the rest held in place by the lugs, such as the way that wrap can be bought and applied with the use of high bond tape that Sam Barnard sells (www.jamminsam.com) , which can be a good thing so that the sound of the drum is not colored/altered by the use of glues and adhesives. Just wanted to re-emphasize that people know what they are getting if they were to consider purchasing this kit, that they will not be getting a DW quality finish for 1000 bucks, but will be getting a sound that cost 2 - 3 times as much.

Last edited by dingbat; 11-04-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Elvis

We have Rubios here in vegas too -- which THANK GOD because i am also from san diego, and it is already hard enough to live without Togo's or Pasta Bravo.... thankfully i can have the world's best fish taco when the mood strikes me.
If you ever get to the island of Maui, go to the Paia fish market and have the best fish taco's in the world.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 PM
KARL MEMBER

mh yeah, an RMV kit...looks delicious, no doubt!
but how is that sound of the RMV`s? I`ve read much about em but I don`t know the sound. but yeeee, the shells look very fine to me!

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 PM

Here's a picture with a little juxstaposition. The business of owning drums is a sickness and obsession, please see your healthcare provider for help, save yourselves, it's too late for me...
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2006, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Here's a picture with a little juxstaposition. The business of owning drums is a sickness and obsession, please see your healthcare provider for help, save yourselves, it's too late for me...
Holy jesus ! ......

..... lol i dont know what else i could say !
DAMN !

thats one huge tower of drums lol
Old 11-04-2006, 10:04 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

How much for the Force 3003? I'm kidding, well, half-kidding. If I had the money and you lived near me I'd snap that right up. Unfortunately, I have neither.
Old 11-04-2006, 11:07 PM

Sorry Mediocrefunkybeat, the Sonor is staying as I got a ridiculously good deal on it with hardware package that I would not be able to duplicate for the money and would take a beating if I sold it; it will be the primay "dingey pub, drunken house party" gigging kit. I am going to sell the CX PDP though, it's a nice sounding and solid bit of kit that has served me well during gigs, but I can't justify having 4 sets and the silver sparkle is redundant now that I have the RMV's. However, if you ever come across the pond and are in my neck of the woods, you are always welcome to come over and have yourself a go at all three!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:04 AM
Silver Member

Those are great kits !

Agh! and you have the musashi snare with the ear bleeding pop !
Old 11-05-2006, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido
Those are great kits !

A whale of a snare drum too. I put diecast rims on top and bottom, scavanged them from a new Ddrum Domion maple picollo snare I had ordered a few weeks ago. On the ddrum, the diecast hoops made the snare too dead/boxy sounding, so I swapped hoops from the Musashi which are pressed 1.6mm. The ddrum is now alot happier and happening sounding and the Musashi is a monster! Both drums are 13 inches in diameter, 8 lug configuration, easy swap.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxido View Post
Those are great kits !

i noticed that too.... i want one of those sooo bad.

dingbat: you want to switch lives? i love your drums, congrats! im getting an RMV set in about a week(just ordered them). 8x5, 10x5.5, 12x6, 14x11, 16x13 toms, 22x17 bass, and 14x6.5 and 10x6 snare drums. in honey amber burst. i hope they sound as good as the music shop's rmv's sounded. how are they holding now that youve had them for a while?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:51 AM

Yowza, this post was dug up from the depths! Thanks for the response. I gurantee you will not be disappointed with the sound of the RMV kit. I just gigged mine last night miced up, just great sweet sound! The drums are holding up well, it is still a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with the allen heads/allen wrench adjustments, I am thinking in the future to perhaps get new generic/gibralter tom mounts with wingnuts to mount on to the suspension rings of the toms. I have since sold the black sparkle Sonor 3003 kit in the picture and have replaced it with a set of Mapex Saturns, which can be found in this thread - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=22301&page=2 . Trust me, the drums you may want, but I don't think you'd want to switch lives. What shell series/thickness did you order, 4mm, 4mm w/2mm rings, or the 6mm?

Last edited by dingbat; 02-12-2007 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Wow that is one awesome looking kit! I absolutley love all of the black hardware and the sparkle. Just awesome...

Peace
AGR
Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Yowza, this post was dug up from the depths! Thanks for the response. I gurantee you will not be disappointed with the sound of the RMV kit. I just gigged mine last night miced up, just great sweet sound! The drums are holding up well, it is still a bit of a pain in the butt to deal with the allen heads/allen wrench adjustments, I am thinking in the future to perhaps get new generic/gibralter tom mounts with wingnuts to mount on to the suspension rings of the toms. I have since sold the black sparkle Sonor 3003 kit in the picture and have replaced it with a set of Mapex Saturns, which can be found in this thread - http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=22301&page=2 . Trust me, the drums you may want, but I don't think you'd want to switch lives. What shell series/thickness did you order, 4mm, 4mm w/2mm rings, or the 6mm?
no thick tubs or restricting rings for me....i like thin, rumbling, resonating drums.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbat View Post
Yeah....tell me about it...................: ^ P