DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 AM

Default 1st ply broke still have secound layer, became wrinkly to quikly????

i was thinking about one ply heads, in ebony. then my pinstripe broke. but only the first ply broke, and i still had the seouncd ply to go through, which i did really quikly, the head became floppy and (dunno if im using this right) "wharped" and sounded bad in like a couple days. is that secound ply thinner than most one ply heads? will a one ply head break down as easily as that did? should i stay with two ply? i play all kinda of rock, jazz, anything im fell like playing and usually hit really hard with rock.

GRETSCH, AQUARIAN, PRO-MARK, SALUDA, SABIAN, WUHAN.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Re: 1st ply broke still have secound layer, became wrinkly to quikly????

Ambassador is 10mil.
Emperor and Pinstripes are two 7.5mil plies.
If you want a single ply head you could always go with something like the controlled sound head.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:23 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: 1st ply broke still have secound layer, became wrinkly to quikly????

Quote:
Originally Posted by my sacred music View Post
i was thinking about one ply heads, in ebony. then my pinstripe broke. but only the first ply broke, and i still had the seouncd ply to go through, which i did really quikly, the head became floppy and (dunno if im using this right) "wharped" and sounded bad in like a couple days. is that secound ply thinner than most one ply heads? will a one ply head break down as easily as that did? should i stay with two ply? i play all kinda of rock, jazz, anything im fell like playing and usually hit really hard with rock.
Well, there are a lot of reasons why the first head could have broken. How do you angle your toms? If you have them angled badly, then the chance of them tearing is significantly increased. Also, how do you usually tune the heads? Over or undertuning or tightening increases your chances. Also, it's never a good idea to really bash your heads. Even with heavier music, you can still get the toms to project by playing lightly.. but that has to do with what heads you throw on them and how you tune them.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:24 AM

^ He speaks the tr00f.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 AM
drumzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
Ambassador is 10mil.
If you want a single ply head you could always go with something like the controlled sound head.
Emperors and Clear Pinstripes are 7mil each for a total of 14mil
Ebony Emperors and Ebony Pinstripes are 10mil over 5mil for 15mil total
Old 01-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Platinum Member

You broke the first ply and continued to play on the broken head for several days, until the second ply broke? Probably should have changed the head right after the first ply went. At least you got your money's worth, I guess, but if you play every day, even if you don't break a head, they do wear out. Lifespan probably no more than 6 months tops.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzac View Post
Emperors and Clear Pinstripes are 7mil each for a total of 14mil
Ebony Emperors and Ebony Pinstripes are 10mil over 5mil for 15mil total
Yeah, two ply heads are usually two thinner plys put together. A single ply head is usually a thicker ply than one ply of a two ply head. Am I being redundant? Am I being redundant?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-13-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
Well, there are a lot of reasons why the first head could have broken. How do you angle your toms? If you have them angled badly, then the chance of them tearing is significantly increased. Also, how do you usually tune the heads? Over or undertuning or tightening increases your chances. Also, it's never a good idea to really bash your heads. Even with heavier music, you can still get the toms to project by playing lightly.. but that has to do with what heads you throw on them and how you tune them.
umm my toms are usually really flat, ive angled them alil more there probly about the same as pearts now. but before they were totally flat.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_f00 View Post
umm my toms are usually really flat, ive angled them alil more there probly about the same as pearts now. but before they were totally flat. i tune kinda higher, not to high though.
but a single ply head is thinner than what was underneath that pinstripe? a 1 ply head aint gunna go in a week is it?

also i wouldv't changed it out if i had antoher head, and i wanna get some ebony heads, but when i did go to llok for a new one they didn't have any so i had to order some so im stuck with this beat in wrinkly head till then. luckily i have no gigs soon.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bob View Post
Ambassador is 10mil.
well im looking for somthing more in the aquarian line. do they have a black one ply head with a power dot? does such a thing exsist?

Old 01-25-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my sacred music View Post
umm my toms are usually really flat, ive angled them alil more there probly about the same as pearts now. but before they were totally flat. i tune kinda higher, not to high though.
but a single ply head is thinner than what was underneath that pinstripe? a 1 ply head aint gunna go in a week is it?

also i wouldv't changed it out if i had antoher head, and i wanna get some ebony heads, but when i did go to llok for a new one they didn't have any so i had to order some so im stuck with this beat in wrinkly head till then. luckily i have no gigs soon.
single ply heads are fine as far as duribility goes. Its very rare that sombody breaks a head. 97% of the cases of replacing a head, its either it got worn down, or sombody took it off, and bent the rim to piss you off, or you just dont like the head.

There are plenty of hard hitters that use single ply heads, and its fine for them.

Also, the purpose of 2 ply heads is not so if the first ply breaks, you can use the second ply. Thats like saying the purpose of a drum having both a reso and batter head, is so if one breaks, you can flip the drum around. Or motorcycles have 2 tires, so if one pops, you can still roll on the other one.

They make it 2 ply because it has different sound and response then a single ply head would. I personaly prefer single ply heads. Choosing your next head depends on the sound your looking for. If you want a good head, that the drum wont sing, but still lets it freely say what it wants to, and you dont want it to kill every little ringing and resonance in the drum, then id strongly suggest the Aquarian Studio-X. I have them, and i absolutley LOVE them. They sound incredible, and they have a nice feel too them.

They are a medium weight head, with a very thin muffle-ring on the bottom side. With birch drums, they sound SOOOOO good. I got them, after hearing so many people with the same set (PDP FS) tell me how great they were. I got them to see for myself, and what do you know! they were right.

anyways, good luck on finding your next set of heads to try
Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 AM

yah im thinking on staying with remo pinstripe, in ebony.

unless any one can tell me if aquarian makes a 2 ply without there "special muffling system" that comes in a black color?