DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

hey guys i just found this video of Steve with Chick Corea. He does a solo kinda thing with the key boards. Its amazing playing once again, but i dont think they put the camera on Steve enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpu47XENZAs
Old 02-10-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placeboman View Post
Well Henry the second ,i dont like Gadd that much either,he is a good all around player,but so is a whole lot of drummers,i think his best thing is that latin beat thing he does?.Ive heard his playing and its good basic playing,i mean i would love to play that basic stuff like that :) but i dont consider him a legend or anything.............

once again, another statement that shows a lack of knowledge of the history of drums. if we didnt have gadd we would not have drummers like vinnie or dennis. he was, and remains, one of the MOST influential drummers on the planet. gadd was one of the last drummers to come up w/ an instantly recongnizable sound which is something that i see a lot of contemporary drummers struggling to do these days.

bottom line, if youre not into gadd (or at the very least willing to admit that there is much to be learned from him), then you dont know what youre missing.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 AM
Pioneer Member

This is one of the best things I've ever heard. Great chemistry. Steve doing what he does best.

Clarke and Gadd...http://youtube.com/watch?v=Je_iqbgGXFw
Old 03-08-2007, 06:46 AM

Nice solo with ralph mc donald!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80JwT4NKC9s
Old 03-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Senior Consultant

very nice find Tomgadd. Here is another very rare video of Steve and Ralph again.

This solo has it ALL groove and chops. The second half of this video Steve is just burning it up and showcases his strong right foot doubles (too bad the sound quality is poor the second half)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAVnSo2twM
Old 03-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Pioneer Member

Wow this just blew me away completely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x_Ut...elated&search=
Old 03-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Administrator

nice one classA. the intro to which sounds like the intro to that coolalan parsons project song: robot. almost a backwards or insideout groove until it becomes the main groove against the guitar. nice trick.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 03-09-2007, 08:17 AM

upcoming dvd from the Leprechaun concerts....
from chick corea's webpage:

"The second exciting week featured a group of musicians Chick dubbed "The Leprechaun Band." This group featured Chick on keyboards, the great Steve Gadd on drums, bass legend Anthony Jackson, the amazing Ravi Coltrane on saxes and the Elektric Band's Frank Gambale.

This exclusive reunion focused on Chick's music from the 70's; revisiting tunes from the classic albums The Leprechaun, The Mad Hatter, My Spanish Heart and Friends. This group was really special because it was the first time Chick, Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson--all musicians who were on the original recordings--had ever played the music live together!

To take things over the top, Chick and band played Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy from the first electric Return To Forever album. There's a special significance to this in that Steve Gadd was actually the original drummer for the electric Return To Forever band (a little known bit of fusion-lore) before Lenny White joined the group.

The gigs were documented with a very innovative video shoot using 15 miniature High Definition cameras placed around the stage at different interesting vantage points. The end result will make you feel like you're actually on stage and in the band!

Additionally, there are plans to make a special "instructional video" version of this film, where the viewer would be able to focus on a particular player in viewing the DVD. If you wanted to watch only Victor Wooten (or whoever your choice was) for the whole performance, from two or three camera angles, the viewer would have that flexibility. You could switch between all of the players individually or watch the show with the "conventional" edit.

It takes a lot of work to edit that many cameras and mix the audio in 5.1 Surround Sound, so you won’t likely see the release of this DVD until fall or winter of 2007.

You're going to love both of these DVDs which will most likely be packaged as a reasonably priced double DVD."
Old 03-09-2007, 03:51 PM

Location: Manama, Bahrain Lebanon but originally from Neuchatel, Switzerland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadrum View Post
bottom line, if youre not into gadd (or at the very least willing to admit that there is much to be learned from him), then you dont know what youre missing.
IAbsolutely ! And I even dare to say that you don't know what you are talking about if you disagree with the above comment ! Regardless of one's personal taste, there is no way to deny Gadd's influence and status not only in modern drumming but in modern music in general.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Pioneer Member

Ah another one I just found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpu47...elated&search= Definitley one of his greatest performances in my opinion.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgadd View Post
You're going to love both of these DVDs which will most likely be packaged as a reasonably priced double DVD."
Ahh I CAN'T WAIT for this DVD. I'm generally not someone to be the first in line for a new cd or whatever, but I was there for the last night and saw allll the cameras they had running.. this will be a very, very good piece of entertainment that I'll buy the day it comes out!

A teaser of what's to come:
Old 03-11-2007, 12:38 AM

great thread...just got done listening again to al di meola's live "tour de force" cd. one of my favs with gadd and a percussonist, anthony jackson on bass and jan hammer on keys. gadd is tremendous.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg View Post
great thread...just got done listening again to al di meola's live "tour de force" cd. one of my favs with gadd and a percussonist, anthony jackson on bass and jan hammer on keys. gadd is tremendous.
some concert video footage from that same tour
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+dimeola&hl=en
Old 03-19-2007, 04:04 PM

I post this also in the General discussion thread.
Steve Gadd clinic April 10th in Quincy MA. Here is the link to the site for more info...

http://www.justplaymusic.com/os/

Later
Old 03-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersc View Post
I post this also in the General discussion thread.
Steve Gadd clinic April 10th in Quincy MA. Here is the link to the site for more info...

http://www.justplaymusic.com/os/

Later
Why not post this in the calendar?

Bernhard
Old 03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersc View Post
Steve Gadd clinic April 10th in Quincy MA.
AWESOME! Strange that Steve is from the northeast (he's an Upstate New Yorker like myself) and yet the northeast is the one area of the US that he hasn't done an official clinic-tour of. But no matter, Quincy is just a subway ride away from me..

puchasing ticket.. NOW.

Oh, and millersc, a big thanks for the heads up!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
Why not post this in the calendar?

Bernhard
Sorry Bernhard, I didn't even know there was a calendar. I'll check and see if anyone has and if not I will.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer View Post
AWESOME! Strange that Steve is from the northeast (he's an Upstate New Yorker like myself) and yet the northeast is the one area of the US that he hasn't done an official clinic-tour of. But no matter, Quincy is just a subway ride away from me..

puchasing ticket.. NOW.

Oh, and millersc, a big thanks for the heads up!
He actually did come to Portland Maine, New York city, Boston, etc. last July with the Mission from Gadd Tour. I saw him in Portland. I'm hoping to see him this time as well.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 AM
Silver Member

Soooo mister Stevie Gadd was in town Tuesday, and well, uh, it was great. What a funny guy

here we were talking about the cymbal I brought for him to sign.. it's his Session line's top hihat - I love those hats!

is it me or is he getting younger and younger?

listening to the M.C. introduce himself

et le coup de grace -- c'est tres beau!!

he's got such a great looking signature
Old 04-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzSgDrummer
is it me or is he getting younger and younger?
i think it's bernhard, not steve. ;-)
Old 04-16-2007, 10:44 AM

Why I think that Steve Gadd is the most influential and best groovin' drummer? Because it's just amazing how much he can do with so less. He is SO musical. That blows my mind completely and 50 ways to leave your lover is the most "fit in" groove I've heard.
Old 05-25-2007, 04:26 AM
Pioneer Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hiK3LKhnK80

I think everyone will love this video with Eric Clapton. Some of Steve's more funky playin. I love it.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:41 AM
Pioneer Member

http://youtube.com/watch?v=M8Sbn6rpd...elated&search= Insane solo. Absolutley amazing.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:30 AM

A LEGEND. One of the most influential drummers of all time. Underrated drummer for most of people. Is a different kind of drummer, he truly focuses on the groove before the "noise". I think he is great but he isnt one of my favourites.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Pioneer Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRAVnSo2twM

One of my favourite Gadd excerpts, absolutely prime grooving. The percussion is peerfect too.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:06 PM
Pioneer Member

I just watched the clip recently posted by Bernhard of Steve Gadd playing Basically Blue with the BR Big Band. What a great performance. This song sums up some of the reasons why I love Gadd so much. So Simple, so effective, such groove and swing and so dynamic.

I think a lot of the criticism of Gadd on this forum - often from younger and/or less experienced players - is related to the fact that those posters don't yet know how hard it is to actually pull of a performance like that. Without a background full of experience the subtleties are harder to assess and appreciate. It is much harder to "judge" a performance like this than judging a performance based on a more objective criteria like double strokes on the bass drum at 230 bbm.

If, you want be a professional drummer then you just have to learn to appreciate playing like this - and you have to learn to LOVE the music. Not just the drums, not just the drum arrangement - but you have to love the song and the overall music which the band will produce. Without that love you just can't even get near to sounding like Gadd.

(I am now stepping off my soap box)

Paul

Here's the link:

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/s...basically.html
Old 07-15-2007, 05:28 AM

When I first started drumming a while back I hadn't heard of many drummers. I was convinced Neil Peart was the world's best based on what friends had told me as I didn't listen to Rush. I Youtubed a couple of his solos and was impressed. When my dad, a professional guitar player said he knew the names of some "real" drummers to check out I was intrigued.

I looked one up named Steve Gadd and saw some video of him playing with some fusion band. I was not very impressed and didn't know what to think. He was playing in a strange time signature and I had no idea what he was doing. Months later after I had become a much better drummer I looked up Steve Gadd again. From that moment on I was sold he is now one of my favorite drummers of all time. Such taste, I couldn't believe it, he knew when not to play too. It was like every note he played was perfect. Plus he can go all out and pretty much destroy a kit aswell. He has a very unique groove oriented style and he has inspired me to play more musically at all times. I listen a lot more now to the music I am playing too since listening to Gadd's drumming. Truly a legend
Old 07-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffIndyke View Post
My Review of Steve Gadd's Long Island Clinic

This is Part I and Part II of IV

let me know if you want me to put up Parts 3 and 4 if you like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HXlGlZLO-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwIdic2qaZM
I never really paid attention to the tom press until now. I am going to try to apply that to my playing. You definately have a great approach to your teaching methods that helps people like me to build appreciation for technique that I would never consider. Thanks for the vids Dyke, you always inspire me.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry for the double post.. but I have to express my awe inspiring revelation.

I grew up listening to Al Jarreau and I never knew until just a few hours ago that Gadd backed him up. Thanks for the audio clip Bern! NEW FOUND RESPECT! I always liked Gadd, especially from the 1st time I heard 50 Ways, but now knowing that he backed Jarreau.... I am sooooo inspired and my fire for Gadd has been rekindled. I'm nearly speechless.

I need to go and dig up my Al Jarreau records! Man, how could I have never known this?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

^ Dude, Gadd and Jarreau together are one of my favorite duos of all time.

"This Time" .. "Breakin' Away" .. "Jarreau" ... besides a couple of tracks with Porcaro and the Toto band (Mornin', Step by Step, Breakin' Away) it was all Gadd and the NYC "Stuff" band. To this day I think of those albums as being not just templates for great pop/r&b drumming, but also templates for what great pop/r&b writing, production, playing, ect should be! It's easy, easy!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM

Steve Gadd and his wife Carol are moving out West - Phoenix, Arizona.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:55 PM

Found really rare stuff with steve gadd!

Masahiko Sato Steve Gadd_Escape Velocity - with drumsolo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5B5i5-4xYs

Masahiko Sato Steve Gadd St. Thomas - with drumsolo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46D4Y-e71gI

STEVE GADD (1984) with SADAO WATANABE - drumsolo-hot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-94MFYFLXI

happy watching

tomgadd
Old 09-18-2007, 06:13 AM

Steve Gadd has been my hero since 1980. I was blown away by his performance on
" Humpty Dumpty " From Chick Coreas' " Mad Hatter album. Incredible .

As a side note, I'm curious as to why he isn't playing with Clapton these days.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
^ Dude, Gadd and Jarreau together are one of my favorite duos of all time.

"This Time" .. "Breakin' Away" .. "Jarreau" ... besides a couple of tracks with Porcaro and the Toto band (Mornin', Step by Step, Breakin' Away) it was all Gadd and the NYC "Stuff" band. To this day I think of those albums as being not just templates for great pop/r&b drumming, but also templates for what great pop/r&b writing, production, playing, ect should be! It's easy, easy!
That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt. That's why he is the greatest in my book and the nicest guy as well. I teased him last year at the clinic. He was saying that the drum stick click in Aja was a mistake; so when I came up to question him I asked "what am I to do now since that was my favorite drum solo because of the click; but now I find it was a mistake." He said it was still brilliant in defense, which of course I knew already. Gadd is everything that they told you growing up that in theory would make a great drummer, all rolled up in an actually breathing, beating, drumming human being.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt. That's why he is the greatest in my book and the nicest guy as well. I teased him last year at the clinic. He was saying that the drum stick click in Aja was a mistake; so when I came up to question him I asked "what am I to do now since that was my favorite drum solo because of the click; but now I find it was a mistake." He said it was still brilliant in defense, which of course I knew already. Gadd is everything that they told you growing up that in theory would make a great drummer, all rolled up in an actually breathing, beating, drumming human being.
Enjoyed that....nicely done!
Old 10-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltadrummer View Post
That was the stuff, no pun intended, that really turned me on to Gadd, along with Friends. I always loved Distracted and of course Spain from This Time. I think it is Jarreau's best album. It changed the whole way I looked at drumming. He could do a quarter note flam on the floor tom for a fill and it was earth shattering because he made you wait for it, just a little bit, you know, that Gadd lilt.
I can't decide whether I like This Time or Breakin' Away better.. they're both cut from the same exact cloth. And I know what you mean about those simple fills that just makes the empty space cry out for its mommy (lol). One of my favorite moments is in Roof Garden, the first fill at 0:57.. those backbeats just burst out at you! Same idea at 3:13.

Never Givin Up, Love is Real, Alonzo, Spain, Your Sweet Love, Closer to your Love, My Old Friend, Easy, Blue Rondo... I could gush about this timeless music forever.
Old 10-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can't decide whether I like This Time or Breakin' Away better.. they're both cut from the same exact cloth. And I know what you mean about those simple fills that just makes the empty space cry out for its mommy (lol). One of my favorite moments is in Roof Garden, the first fill at 0:57.. those backbeats just burst out at you! Same idea at 3:13.

Never Givin Up, Love is Real, Alonzo, Spain, Your Sweet Love, Closer to your Love, My Old Friend, Easy, Blue Rondo... I could gush about this timeless music forever.
Yes, I think we're talking about two different things; but you put your finger on it. It was the space between the notes that really got me to rethink my breaks, and also the placement of the notes, the sound of the notes, the pitch of the drums, the use of a dynamic and accent range in the fill, which gave it a sense of direction; it was music. When I play Gadd for my young students and say listen to this fill, they are always awed by it; it still sounds 'like' way cool man even to kids today. lol
Old 12-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Silver Member

^ Amen. Space and dynamics are sorely missing in much of today's music, let alone today's drumming.

I just listened to "Lenore" and "Leprechaun's Dream Pt. 2" for the first time in a year or more. Lenore was the first song to say to me, "I NEED to hear more of this Gadd person", effectively starting my love for the guy, and listening back to this stuff now.... man I'm reduced to tears. So beautiful....

No other drummer pulls these emotions out of me like this.. ugh he's rediculous!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 AM

Friends,
The thing is this...you guys HAVE to stop thinking as DRUMMERS and think as musicians.
No one, and I mean NO ONE except other drummers care about all of those chops. The chops must serve the music. There are so so many guys who can play this roll or that combination and will never get called for a gig. Musicality is the most important thing. That means good sound, time, taste, communication and big ears.
Steve is a perfect example of the ultimate musical drummer- that is why he is on so many records for so many years. Even if he had never taken great solos he would go down in history as having THE defining groove of the 1970's.
Max Roach once told me that the most important thing that I can do is learn to play the piano. Everytime I would see him he would ask,"so, hows th epiano coming?"
Advice like this from a master is not to be taken lightly.
BTW in regards to the gadd vinnie dave thing.... I was just talking to a respected WORKING drummer here in nyc and we both commented on the fact that gadd blew them both away with his musicality. When he comes in at half the dynamic level that the other guys played you realize that he is about MUSIC and not sports.
Peace
Old 01-04-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeds View Post
Friends,
The thing is this...you guys HAVE to stop thinking as DRUMMERS and think as musicians.
No one, and I mean NO ONE except other drummers care about all of those chops. The chops must serve the music. There are so so many guys who can play this roll or that combination and will never get called for a gig. Musicality is the most important thing. That means good sound, time, taste, communication and big ears.
Steve is a perfect example of the ultimate musical drummer- that is why he is on so many records for so many years. Even if he had never taken great solos he would go down in history as having THE defining groove of the 1970's.
Max Roach once told me that the most important thing that I can do is learn to play the piano. Everytime I would see him he would ask,"so, hows th epiano coming?"
Advice like this from a master is not to be taken lightly.
BTW in regards to the gadd vinnie dave thing.... I was just talking to a respected WORKING drummer here in nyc and we both commented on the fact that gadd blew them both away with his musicality. When he comes in at half the dynamic level that the other guys played you realize that he is about MUSIC and not sports.
Peace

WELL SPOKEN!! That are my thoughts too