DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-30-2006, 11:42 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default Re: Billy Ward here!

Hi Mek -
no I don't recall knowing a Gene Utz.

and Hi Bernhard - hope you are doing well!

To all of you - I'm chilling out now (finally). Had to cancel the last show of my clinic tour in Jersey City because my mom went into the hopital and had to be there to help with my dad (who has Alzheimers - they are both 86 yrs old). It was VERY intense. But now all is back to normal (whatever that means! :D) and I've been catching up on my sleep a bit.

There is a small announcement to make - I will be one of the performers at the DrumWorld Festival - held in Amsterdam. Someone from my site (Seb) hipped me to this announcement. It happens the week before DrummerLive. So if any of you are in the area - come and let's meet!
Here's their announcement:

http://www.drumworld.nl/de/events/dwf2006_program.asp

It takes place on Sept 17th, in Amsterdam. I'm going to hang out in Amsterdam for a few days and do some masterclasses as well - then head up to London for DrummerLive the very next weekend!

The only sad thing about this is that I will miss the Modern Drummer festival - too bad... but I look forward to seeing Amsterdam again!
Should be fun! Hopefully I'll have more details in August.
Old 08-02-2006, 06:59 AM

Billy, hey man! Just wanted to say that I was at your St. Louis Drum Clinic for Drum Headquarters. Im the first guy that asked you about your hi hats, then 3 questions later some dork asked the same question! I dont know if you remember, but I just wanted to let ya know, that you were right about my floor tom. I moved it out a little more and have a lot of room now for my right foot, and my rolls are SO much better! Thanks for the tip, and I guess we will see ya! Later Billy!

-Eric Weiss
St. Louis, MO

P.S. Ever consider playing with John Mayer? Or not your style of tunes?
Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapexboy87
Billy, hey man! Just wanted to say that I was at your St. Louis Drum Clinic for Drum Headquarters. Im the first guy that asked you about your hi hats, then 3 questions later some dork asked the same question! I dont know if you remember, but I just wanted to let ya know, that you were right about my floor tom. I moved it out a little more and have a lot of room now for my right foot, and my rolls are SO much better! Thanks for the tip, and I guess we will see ya! Later Billy!

-Eric Weiss
St. Louis, MO

P.S. Ever consider playing with John Mayer? Or not your style of tunes?

thanks Eric - I'm happy to have helped out!
I played with John Mayer on one of the songs from BB King's record, "80". I'd be very happy to play some more with him... Let's see if it ever happens! :D
-Billy
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 PM

Wow, when I first saw this post I thought it was Bill Ward of Black Sabbath and was just being very informal. Do you get people doing that to ya very often at clinincs and stuff?
Old 08-18-2006, 11:34 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32
Wow, when I first saw this post I thought it was Bill Ward of Black Sabbath and was just being very informal. Do you get people doing that to ya very often at clinincs and stuff?
only you lately! :D
Old 08-19-2006, 06:29 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default MY SCHEDULE this coming month

thought I should fill you guys in:
august 26 & 27 - Minneapolis, MN with Joan Osborne
September 3 - Detroit with Joan Osborne
September 6 - BW drum clinic at Jersey City Drum shop in New Jersey - 8pm. For more
details: www.jerseydrums.com
September 11 - Joan Osborne benefit show somewhere in NYC
September 14 - Adams DrumFest in Holland
September 23 - Drummer Live in London
October 7 - Hollywood Custom Drum and Vintage Show in LA, CA.
For more info: www.vintagedrumshow.com

If any of you can come to these shows - let me know you are there! :D

Billy
Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 AM
fourstringdrums

Billy - I think I've spoken with you online a few times, on your forum I believe, and you were kind enough to check out my website for disabled drummers www.handidrummed.com and offer your insight. I just want to say again how much of an influence you are in my playing. Especially in how I approach setting up the drums and shooting for maximum comfort, as a drummer who needs all the help in being as comfortable as I can get, your phylosophy behind it has been invaluable to me.Your DVD is definately a "Stranded on a Desert Island", "the house is on fire, what do I save" scenario for me :)

Thanks again for being such a wonderful educator and down to earth person. Hopefully some day I'll get a chance to meet you in person or catch a clinic, but unless you're in the middle of Massachusetts along Rt. 2 somewhere, I doubt it :)

Take Care - Rob Richard
Old 08-24-2006, 02:10 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstringdrums
Billy - I think I've spoken with you online a few times, on your forum I believe, and you were kind enough to check out my website for disabled drummers www.handidrummed.com and offer your insight. I just want to say again how much of an influence you are in my playing. Especially in how I approach setting up the drums and shooting for maximum comfort, as a drummer who needs all the help in being as comfortable as I can get, your phylosophy behind it has been invaluable to me.Your DVD is definately a "Stranded on a Desert Island", "the house is on fire, what do I save" scenario for me :)

Thanks again for being such a wonderful educator and down to earth person. Hopefully some day I'll get a chance to meet you in person or catch a clinic, but unless you're in the middle of Massachusetts along Rt. 2 somewhere, I doubt it :)

Take Care - Rob Richard
Thanks Rob - feel free to let me know if there is anything that I can do for your helpful endeavors!

ON a sad note - I am sorry to say that original Knack drummer, Bruce Gary passed away on August 22nd.

here's a link:
http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/823brucegary.html

I was a guy that replaced him on their record, Serious Fun and, while I didn't really know him well, I think this is a loss for our drumming community. Might have to play a little My Sharona for him at drummerLive!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward
Thanks Rob - feel free to let me know if there is anything that I can do for your helpful endeavors!

ON a sad note - I am sorry to say that original Knack drummer, Bruce Gary passed away on August 22nd.

here's a link:
http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/823brucegary.html

I was a guy that replaced him on their record, Serious Fun and, while I didn't really know him well, I think this is a loss for our drumming community. Might have to play a little My Sharona for him at drummerLive!
I sent you an email BW.

RIP for Bruce. I'm not too familiar with much of the Knack's music besides Sharona, but it's always sad when the drumming community loses another.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:08 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Default AN UPDATE!

Hey guys - it's been almost a month and a half since I posted - sorry about that!

i just did a clinic at the Cascio Interstate Music Store in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Yeah.... I ate a sausage! (but no cheese!) :D
The show had me, Dom Famularo Ignacio Berrera and Virgil Donati. We all played together at the end and it was really fun! Great event.
This marks the last clinic of the year for me! WHEW!!! I really did alot of them this year.

I am also making another instruction DVD - only this one will include kind of a 2 for 1 deal:
a DVD AND a CD 9that is seperate and can be taken away for your car or whatever. The CD is by the Billy Ward Trio - with Barry Coates on guitar and Bill Urmson on bass. It is instrumental... (yeah, you can even say) jazz music. the accompanying DVD will include explanations of each song - and mostly lots of bits about jazz drumming, or "jazzy-ness", and particularly how it has helped me in everything that I play. I am hoping that this turns some people onto what some jazz technique can do for them - EVEN in their heavy metal band!

So now I'm involved in post production of the DVD. It will be out early in '07.

Hope you all are well
yours, in drumming,

Billy
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Hey Billy!

What are the Vic Firth shaker mallets you like called?

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch
Hey Billy!

What are the Vic Firth shaker mallets you like called?

Mike

Hi mike - Vic discontinued the red yarn mallets that appear in Big Time. and that's too bad - they were great! I'm using green yarn-wrapped mallets that Vic is now producing. They are new, so they may not be in your stores just yet.
thanks-
Old 11-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward
Hi mike - Vic discontinued the red yarn mallets that appear in Big Time. and that's too bad - they were great! I'm using green yarn-wrapped mallets that Vic is now producing. They are new, so they may not be in your stores just yet.
thanks-
Thanks Billy!

Mike

Old 11-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Administrator

i'm reading this at the moment and i hightly recommend it.

Billy, thanks. i wish there were more books like it on the market. most drumming books have a three page intro
and then 40 pages of manuscript. here's a book i can read in bed, on the bog and in the bus. its one of the reasons i got into drum forums. sometimes i just want to read about drums and drumming rather than need a metronome, sticks and a practice pad to make it worthwhile.
i'm going to try not play cymbals for a whole song this weekend at a gig...lol. i'm just not sure which one of our repertoir i'm going to do this in. perhaps 'lady madonna'. actually this reminds me of a small duo gig a did on a sunday a few months back. i arrived at the gig to discover to my horror that i didn't pack my snare! it was a very low volume gig fortunately so i tried various things ... putting my tambourine on a tom resting on its case between my legs with a towel over both, playing on the case while accenting the hihat on the back beat etc. it was a tough tho very musical gig. sometimes problem solving brings us out of the comfort zone and into the high performance 'listen-or-die' zone.
j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 11-16-2006, 07:27 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post

i'm reading this at the moment and i hightly recommend it.

Billy, thanks. i wish there were more books like it on the market. most drumming books have a three page intro
and then 40 pages of manuscript. here's a book i can read in bed, on the bog and in the bus. its one of the reasons i got into drum forums. sometimes i just want to read about drums and drumming rather than need a metronome, sticks and a practice pad to make it worthwhile.
i'm going to try not play cymbals for a whole song this weekend at a gig...lol. i'm just not sure which one of our repertoir i'm going to do this in. perhaps 'lady madonna'. actually this reminds me of a small duo gig a did on a sunday a few months back. i arrived at the gig to discover to my horror that i didn't pack my snare! it was a very low volume gig fortunately so i tried various things ... putting my tambourine on a tom resting on its case between my legs with a towel over both, playing on the case while accenting the hihat on the back beat etc. it was a tough tho very musical gig. sometimes problem solving brings us out of the comfort zone and into the high performance 'listen-or-die' zone.
j

GREAT Nutha! Exploration in color and tone is a wonderful thing! Thanks for the compliments-
Old 11-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Senior Administrator

i might pick your brain if you don't mind.

first question: do you know of any drumming books that are readers rather than manuscripts? recommendations?

second question: i know its hard, but if you had to choose one piece of drumming you have recorded, that most represents your ideals, which would it be (from which album, which song)?

i like your 'fills' section in the book. for me a principle fill is found on the queen 'made in heaven' CD...'too much love will kill you', the fill into the solo. i think it is one of the most superbly recorded fills in history. know which one i'm on about? what would be your favourite/s?

j

Old 11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTHA JASON View Post
i might pick your brain if you don't mind.

first question: do you know of any drumming books that are readers rather than manuscripts? recommendations?

second question: i know its hard, but if you had to choose one piece of drumming you have recorded, that most represents your ideals, which would it be (from which album, which song)?

i like your 'fills' section in the book. for me a principle fill is found on the queen 'made in heaven' CD...'too much love will kill you', the fill into the solo. i think it is one of the most superbly recorded fills in history. know which one i'm on about? what would be your favourite/s?

j
Hi again Nutha!

Kenny Werner wrote a book called "effortless mastery - discovering the musician within"
Amazon should have it somewhere. I got hip to this only recently - it's pretty darned good.

favorite song/performance... this is REALLY dependent upon styles in my case.
I love my track on robbie Robertson's Hold Back the Dawn (from Storyville) and this is a great record for drummers to listen to -
Robbie is obsessed with drummers and always made the drumming a huge part of his two records. but there are others too -= Jim Beard has a record titled "lost at the carnival" and I do a kind of left field-dixieland almost kind of thing on one song there...
For heavier stuff - the ill-fated knack record "serious fun" is full of crazy-muscular drumming...
All in all, so far, I would say my own live duets record (two hands clapping) totally covers where I'm coming from (except for jazz - and that record will be out early next year)
Old 11-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Senior Administrator

great thanks. i will track (pun) some of those down.

do you now which queen fill i was talking about?

j

ps: i've almost finished reading your book now. so look out for mor questions. i hope other guys here get turned on to it through this discussion. it is a must read.

Old 11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
DW Pro Drummer

no... can't think of the song at all right now ... sorry
Old 11-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Senior Administrator

i laughed when i saw your charting system. the one i use is similar but without bar counts (maybe i will need to do this later when i get more diverse work). next to the song title i always write what i call the 'tempo phrase'. its a few memorable words in the song that nail the ideal tempo for the song (usually something from halfway through the chorus) i sing them to myself just before i count in. eg: 'we can stop thinkin' nowowowow...and a 1...2...3...4...' (similar to your advice on page 28).

what became clear to me is that you and i have approached drumming from opposite ends. while you were very technical in your early career i only found out about paradiddles after 4 years of drumming. i had to teach myself by watching MTV and playing to tapes. so for me just keeping up and making music with the song was all i could do to play the drums. now in the past handful of years i'm all into technique to 'catch up'. funny thing is, it hardly shows in my gigs where music comes first. i was practicing triplets between the hands and feet for nearly three years before they started to find a spot in my gigs. and with all the work on paradiddles i only see a diddle now and then in a fill or in a groove when i'm live.

j

Old 12-05-2006, 01:55 PM

Hey Billy! I have watched your instructional DVD(Big Time) and I have to say it has helped me alot. Thanks!
Old 12-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy ward View Post
Kenny Werner wrote a book called "Effortless mastery - discovering the musician within" ... I got hip to this only recently - it's pretty darned good.
I just picked up a copy of this from my local library -- I wasn't really looking for it, I just took it from the shelf randomly. Haven't had a chance to look into it yet, since I'm still wading through Miles Davis' autobiography. I guess I'd better get to it ASAP... :)

Your DVD has had a huge influence on my approach to drumming and music in general. Thanks a bunch, Billy!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
DW Pro Drummer

HEy Wave and Lost - Thanks! Means a lot to me! I will be releasing another DVD maybe as early as MArch...so stay tuned... I hope it is accepted half as much as the first!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:
HEy Wave and Lost - Thanks! Means a lot to me! I will be releasing another DVD maybe as early as MArch...so stay tuned... I hope it is accepted half as much as the first!
Billy,

I purchased your video "Big Time." I really dig the analogy and philosophy of the clock gears, very effective for me. I also enjoy the angle of a visual artist with music. I must say though, the biggest learning tool for me was/is watching you and Andy just grooving around. So much that I purchased a Firepod to be able to lay my own improv bass lines down, loop them, and play with different approaches. I certainly hope there is more of this kind of stuff on the new video.

Thanks for ehjumuhcating me,

Brian
Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Thanks Parser -

The next one i very unike Big Time. It is a more outward approach to some fundamental jazz concepts - including relevant rudiments and examples. it's a broad approach aimed to get drummers who don't "get" jazz" into jazz - or jazzy-ness. I hope it helps alot of folks out! We are hoping to have it available in March so stay tuned...
Old 12-28-2006, 09:39 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Thanks Parser -

The next one i very unike Big Time. It is a more outward approach to some fundamental jazz concepts - including relevant rudiments and examples. it's a broad approach aimed to get drummers who don't "get" jazz" into jazz - or jazzy-ness. I hope it helps alot of folks out! We are hoping to have it available in March so stay tuned...
Fantastic! I also read your article in Modern Drummer and thought that is was great. I have had the same talk with many band members and drummers alike, as I flat out told a drummer that he had to be ahead of the game if he was ever going to get anywhere! When the record deal did come, he was the odd man out and almost cost his band the record deal with his bad attitude. Jeff Porcarro used to replace bands' drummers all of the time.

Mike

Old 01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
Senior Administrator

hi billy

i'm asking all the pros this question. i think the answers could be very instructive to many of us.
let's say there was a totally new drum rudiment that was suddenly discovered and was so totally applicable that any drummer worth their salt would quickly try to learn it, master it and use it in recordings and gigs. this hypothetical new rudiment is quite hard to play and totally unrelated to any other rudiment. it is so good that you know that the next time you sit in on a session the writer is probably going to ask you to use it somewhere in their song.
my question is: starting from scratch what would be your way of learning it?

thanks
j

Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 PM
DW Pro Drummer

interesting question Nutha - as in all things that are difficult, I would begin slowly and work it until it feels great - then slowly speed it up. I would also mentally practice it when away from the kit - listen to it's sound in my mind's ear.
that's it!
anybody can do it!!!!! :D
Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Administrator

thanks billy.

let's say that a pupil of yours was learning a totally new rudiment...say the flamacue. you had in a lesson showed them how it is done and by the end of the lesson you were satisfied that they understood the pattern but a week later they came back and told you they were having problems organising their practice. what practical advice would you give them in terms of setting up a schedule and/or breaking in the new rudiment. what in your experience has been the best way to organise practice? how long to play the exercise at a given tempo, how often etc?

thanks
j

Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 PM
DW Pro Drummer

Hey Nutha -

I don't have any students that come weekly. Or even yearly! There are, in fact, only one or two people who have had more than one lesson with me...ever.

I can't honestly answer a fictitious kind of question such as yours. I have no game plan. I would llike to think that I would know what to say to crack the nut (so to speak) with your fictitious student - but maybe not. I teach maybe two or three private lessons per year. That is all my schedule allows. So I am not the guy to offer advice on a teaching "program". I deal with each student instinctively and hopefully am able to help them. I love teaching - I love helping out! this is why I make the DVDs and participate as much as I can - trying to reach as many as possible. sorry I can't be more of a help.

Elvin Jones once told me that practicing more than an hour a day is a waste of time. There are many perspectives on practice. i think one should practice technically - and THEN have some fun on the drums.. and THEN try to push the envelope musically a bit and tape what is going on.
then repeat the next day.
Meanwhile - listen to music and learn. follow your heart.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 AM
Senior Administrator

still a great answer. wish i was one of the two.

and on what elvin said. i have found that if i keep up a schedule of 5 hours a day i burn out after a few weeks. so it does make sense. i guess it is helpful to separate technical excellent practice from applicable fun practice. one hour of technical practice at a high degree of performance a day sounds right. the fun stuff (creatively applying something already covered melodically over the kit or jamming to discs or free soloing) can be done for hours and very often i get sad when i see that its time to make supper and get off the kit. same thing at gigs really. we're supposed to do two sets of 45 mins at most of our gigs but we try as often as possible to get away with 2 hours - some places just let us play as much as we like. they all pay the same but for me the money i get paid is for the shlep of travelling, setting up and affording the gear...the actuall playing i would do for free (and have way back in the past even paid for that priviledge).

j

Old 01-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Senior Administrator

hi billy

sorry to load you up with questions but here's another one...

in the August 1992 issue of modern drummer there was a great and useful article titled: THE 25 GREATEST DRUM RECORDS. because of it i bought steely dan's AJA in a time when i was almost exclusively addicted to AC/DC.
they wrote this article by researching across the industry but in particular they asked some of the top guys for their top ten selections. i'm hoping to do a similar thing here on DW and post the reults in a separate thread eventually.
So if you would be so kind please give us a list of your own top ten (perhaps your current top 10) records/albums. it would be helpful if you identified your favourite out of those and dropped in a line why it is so...but this is not totally necessary. think of it like if you were going to be locked in a remote log cabin for a whole winter, which 10 albums would you take, if 10 were all you could take?

thanks
j

Old 01-16-2007, 06:46 AM
DW Pro Drummer

Hi Nutha,

log cabin records are different choices than what I might think are important records for a drummer to get into. Some of my log cabin records may have NO drumming! :D

Are you sure you want log cabin records?.. or top ten recommended records for drummers?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:32 AM
Senior Administrator

good point. perhaps the log cabin bit is too strong. this list must be about drumming excellence and inspiration. so...more of a woodshed than a log cabin so to speak.
j

Old 02-07-2007, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Default Billy ward on Constantinoples?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3V-_28wesE
Old 02-07-2007, 02:03 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Billy ward on Constantinoples?

Awsome video. Insane grooving. I didnt really like the sound of his ride that much but everything else sounded OK to me.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:20 PM
fourstringdrums

Great video. I have the DVD. It says on YouTube that it was taken from Drummerworld, so I have to ask Bernhard why he edited it the way he did, especially in the beginning where he has the video play the opening fill twice.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:48 PM
Pioneer Member

yep, looks like it is from drummerworld.. I always love watching mr.ward groove.. Such a cool gorilla groove face..
Old 02-07-2007, 11:26 PM
KARL MEMBER

Yeah, a nice video...from Drummerworld! ;-)
Billy is really an outstanding drummer and from what I`ve heard and read also a great person. He had fun...so nice!

PS: Was he playing on a K Custom High Definition Ride in that video???

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post

PS: Was he playing on a K Custom High Definition Ride in that video???

Karl
Ew, and i was thinking about buying a high def ride. hopefully it wasnt. it sounded like child wuhan that slept with a k const. light.

Otherwise the video was great though...