DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-05-2007, 02:10 AM

Default Double bass pedals

hi

(sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question........but i just don't know)

i am planning to buy a double bass pedal and i was wondering if you can take it appart and use the single pedal instead of a double.

is this possible?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:21 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Double bass pedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebige View Post
hi

(sorry if there is an obvious answer to this question........but i just don't know)

i am planning to buy a double bass pedal and i was wondering if you can take it appart and use the single pedal instead of a double.

is this possible?
Well first off, hi welcome to Drummerworld.

2nd. Why do you want to buy a double pedal and then take it apart for just a single? Why not just buy a single? I guess you could but that would be really frivolous. What kind of pedal do you want, how much $$$ do you have? We need more info.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-05-2007, 02:23 AM
Gold Member

You could always just ignore the second pedal. It's not like you have to get rid of your high hat pedal to use a double pedal...
Old 02-05-2007, 02:28 AM

the reason for this question is that i want to buy a double pedal but when i gig i would be playing funky and jazzy music so i would only need to use a single pedal. I thought that taking a single pedal would be a little easier if i am to transport my drums.

it seems kind of pointless to be carrying aroung a double pedal if i only need one pedal.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
the reason for this question is that i want to buy a double pedal but when i gig i would be playing funky and jazzy music so i would only need to use a single pedal. I thought that taking a single pedal would be a little easier if i am to transport my drums.

it seems kind of pointless to be carrying aroung a double pedal if i only need one pedal.
Exactly, so why not just but a single pedal? Like this one? Why buy a double pedal just to take it apart and then only use one part?

Peace
AGR
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 AM

i don't understand this thread at all
Old 02-05-2007, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

yes... a majority of double bass pedals are single pedals... You take out the beater and just remove the slave pedal. my ludwig does it, DW's do it, i think a majority do it...

But here's an idea...don't buy a double bass pedal...they're dumb.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Exactly, so why not just but a single pedal? Like this one? Why buy a double pedal just to take it apart and then only use one part?

Peace
AGR
Man, use your imagination. Maybe he wants the option of having a double pedal at home to practice with....
I am the same, i have the double pedal available during practice but detach the connecting rod (or what ever the lingo) and take just the master pedal to gigs where not needed. All double bass pedals should allow you to do this.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:17 AM

yes. you can detach the linkage and just use the master unit as a single pedal. buy a double pedal. its is not dumb.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 AM

Thank you for your advice hungrypo and jonescrusher,

i want to learn to use a double pedal but i want to play funk and jazz music live which does not require a double pedal!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Man, use your imagination. Maybe he wants the option of having a double pedal at home to practice with....
Ok, But this thread is confusing, could it have been possible not to make it so confusing? It sounded like he just wanted to use the single and not the slave.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama Player View Post
Ok, But this thread is confusing, could it have been possible not to make it so confusing? It sounded like he just wanted to use the single and not the slave.

Peace
AGR
hmmm, confusing if you skim over the previous posts and immediately start replying without a second's thought.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thank you for your advice hungrypo and jonescrusher,

i want to learn to use a double pedal but i want to play funk and jazz music live which does not require a double pedal!
I don't know why you couldn't play funk or even jazz using a double pedal. I think most people think of double pedal playing as straight LRLRLR driving metal music. I use my double pedal more for triplet fills, with occasional single stroke beats. I especially like it for the endings of songs with a triplet fill. Also, just because you have two pedals doesn't mean you have to use them all the time, you can still do double and triple strokes with one foot. I just always like having that option there.
As far as you playing your funk / jazz gigs, you just take your double pedal and only install one beater, thus you have your single pedal.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
Administrator

When you buy the double pedal it will come in a box as two sungle pedals and a linking bar to tie the two together. Just don't put them together. If need be at some time when you want to learn double put the linkage bar on the two and kick away.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

I use a Duallist for this very reason. I love it - I have double-beater capability any time I need it, but a superb single pedal all the time.

www.terrasonus.com
Old 02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Big_Philly

As far as I am aware almost any twin pedal will come apart so you can use the single one. And what mendozart says is also entirely true, you can just use it for short, quick fills or accentuation. Or some quick bass drum grooving, which can sound very funky, with the ride cymbal playing eighth notes, the snare accentuatingthe 2 and 4th count and doing some ghost notes, and a bass pattern like this:
xx-x-xxx--xx-x--

(I really hope the tab writing doesnt look dumb, and that you understand the kind of groove I'm talking about)
Old 02-07-2007, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
hmmm, confusing if you skim over the previous posts and immediately start replying without a second's thought.
I actually did read and think about it again and again. It just didn't hit me. I know what he was saying now, but excuse me for making a mistake. He worded it in a way I could not comprehend (until now). Im sure Im not the only one who was confused.

Peace
AGR
Old 02-07-2007, 06:30 AM

thanks guys for your help,

i have seen videos where there is'nt just the constant rlrlrlrl or rrllrrllrrllrrll happening and i don't know why i thought about restricting myself to a single pedal

in the back of my head i knew there was more to the double pedals and that they can be used for funk and jazzy tunes, but i kinda went blank.

i guess i better check out the double bass drumming thread!
Old 02-07-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungrypo View Post
yes. you can detach the linkage and just use the master unit as a single pedal. buy a double pedal. its is not dumb.
Thats what I was thinking. I wanted to sell my double to get a single, but I looked at and said why not just take the link off and put the other pedal up.
Old 02-07-2007, 06:37 PM

I dont get the whole double pedal thing, I rarely use one, every time i tempted to i just remind myself how much cooler it would be to be able to play that stuff on a single! Vaguely off topic but his questions answered :P