DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-26-2007, 01:56 AM

Default Evans HD Dry

I'm thinking of getting an Evans Hd dry for my pearl chad smith snare drum. Has anyone used this head? I was just wondering, because I just don't really know how the vents will make it sound.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Evans HD Dry

I haven't used the dry version with the holes but like the name states it is supposed to make the sound more dry, my instructor uses an st dry and loves it. It would be good for a steel snare cuz it gets rid of some of the high overtones, good choice if thats what you are looking for.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

I used one on a birch snare and personally thought it was too dry. Yeah, it does clear up a lot of the overtones, but I preferred my snare with them to without. I've gone to the Powercenter Reverse Dot and really like that.

Biz
Old 01-26-2007, 06:04 PM
Pioneer Member

I've used a lot of these heads on several diferent snares.I've tried the Genera dry, HD dry, and ST dry.They seem like a good idea if your playing by yourself and might be a good choice if your miced, in the studio, or for softer music. For loud live playing the don't cut through very well.

For loud venues the snare needs to ring. That will help project the sound. The Power Center reverse dot in a good choice for that.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
I've used a lot of these heads on several diferent snares.I've tried the Genera dry, HD dry, and ST dry.They seem like a good idea if your playing by yourself and might be a good choice if your miced, in the studio, or for softer music. For loud live playing the don't cut through very well.

For loud venues the snare needs to ring. That will help project the sound. The Power Center reverse dot in a good choice for that.
are you kidding?

i had a genera dry on a 14 inch wooden tama snare (not sure what wood), and it has to be the LOUDEST snare iv ever heard. and it has a great punch and a nice feel.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
are you kidding?

i had a genera dry on a 14 inch wooden tama snare (not sure what wood), and it has to be the LOUDEST snare iv ever heard. and it has a great punch and a nice feel.
I'm sure there are exceptions. It didn't cut through very well for me.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
are you kidding?

Yeah I agree with this. I have a Genera Dry on my steel snare and is LOUD (probably partially in part due to the shell, but all the other heads I've tried havent beaten the Genera Dry as far as voulme). I like the Genera Dry because it muffles the drum without choking it too much. I used an HD Dry once and I didnt like it that much because I thought it choked the drum and I noticed I couldnt get the sensitivity that I could with a Genera Dry. If your playing something like metal or your just a hard hitter, I think the HD Dry might work for you. If your looking for a snare head thats thinner, more versitile, I think the Genera Dry would be better (just remember if you get the HD Dry, you might have to say goodbye to your ghost notes).

My Kit
Old 02-01-2007, 05:03 AM
Silver Member

i've got the hd dry, and its an alright head but i think i want something thinner, i'll probably go to the genera dry next
funny thing, my head is definitely a genera hd dry, but it doesn't have vents... anyone know why?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
i've got the hd dry, and its an alright head but i think i want something thinner, i'll probably go to the genera dry next
funny thing, my head is definitely a genera hd dry, but it doesn't have vents... anyone know why?
You sure it's not the standard genera hd?
Old 02-05-2007, 01:30 AM
Silver Member

yep, i'm sure. i've checked it many a time in confusion (including once more right now just for fun). maybe its all a conspiracy!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Pioneer Member

I've tried the HD Dry on my Chad Smith, and did find it too dry for me.
What I use is the Genera Dry, which still has the vent holes, but is single-ply.
It removes just enough ring, but gives it a nice "meaty" sound, and yes, it is LOUD.
I de-tune the reso down to about medium, and have the Dry batter at medium-high, and it sounds awesome. I also installed a set of inexpensive Gibralter 42 strand snare wires.
It is a great, great sound.
Phil
Old 02-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I just purchased a DW brass 5 X 14. The first head I tried was an Aquarian High Energy. It sounded good, and had lots of low end. Then I mounted a Genera dry for comparison. The rim shots were loud, but the lighter strokes and ghost notes didn't seem to come through very well.

Next up was an Evans Reverse dot and that really opened up the drum and let it sing. Noticeably louder than the Genera dry. I dunno, maybe there's something going on with certain shells, but on my current battery of snares (8 or 9) the reverse dots are louder than the Genera Drys. I do use die cast hoops. That night have someting to do with it.

All three of these heads were new, in the box.