DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Powerstroke 3 on 2007 Gretsch Renown 22 inch bass won't fit

I recently purchased a set of Remo Powerstroke 3 heads for my 2007 Gretsch Renown Maple 22 inch base drum.
When installed the flat bottom wooden hoops would not sit flat against the aluminum rim of the Powerstroke 3 drum head. There is about a 1/16 to 1/8 inch gap almost all the way around the drum on both the beater side and resonant side that the hoop is not touching the aluminum rim of the head.
They sit flat and perfect with the evans heads that came stock with the Gretsch set. The wooden hoops have flat bottoms. The hoops are 22 3/16 inside diameter.

Are there cases where the hoops have to be beveled on the inside to use the Powerstroke 3 heads with the 2007 Model Gretsch Renown Maple drum set?

The 2007 Model is the one where the toms do not mount to the bass drum or at least that's what I have been told.

Or is my drum set defective as the store owner who sold me the heads says it is? The drum set is brand new. He says it's defective but won't say what is defective. The store owner says it will fit flush even though he has never tried it on the new Gretsch 2007 model he says it fits all drums flat or beveled hoops.
But my hoop gets caught on the plastic lip just before the aluminum frame of the Powerstroke, and won't sit flush against the aluminum frame of the head.
Again it fits absolutely perfect with the Evans heads, No problems at all.

I say the hoops should be either 1/8 to 3/16 inch bigger in diameter, or the inside edge of the hoop should be beveled to clear that plastic lip and make it sit flush with the aluminum rim on the Powerstrokes..... NO! The owner of the store insisted they fit. Instead of taking the heads back to him he wanted me to take the drums back (I did not buy the drum set from him). I was told about his store afterwards and had a good relationship with him for a couple of visits, he suggested the powerstrokes and told me I have to try them and if I didn't like them bring them back plus I bought a lot of other stuff from him and was going to get a $450 floor tom but not now, in fact with his attitude and customer service I'm sure glad I didn't buy the set from him.

The owner gave me my money back on the heads but refused to try the heads or diffrent heads on the floor model 2007 Gretsch that he had right there, he just kept saying my set was defective, even though he has never seen my set and he knows it is 1 month old. Never a thought that his heads might be defective. Not one drum in the store has these heads on them.

I could be completey happy with the Evans heads but I really would like to know why I can't install the Powerstroke heads on my set so I don't know if my new Renown set has the wrong hoops or what. But I do know the Evans that came stock fit perfectly. I figured I would ask before I go through all the trouble of bringing the set back and trying to say something's wrong with it.
Has anyone ever had this problem fitting Powerstroke 3's before on the 2007 set?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Powerstroke 3 on 2007 Gretsch Renown 22 inch bass won't fit

wow that store owner is a pain, I would hate to be in your situation

What I would do is buy another powerstroke or any other bass head. If it dosent fit, then maybe the guy was right, if not yes he sold you a bad head

And a company like Gretsch, I would bet they would let anything out with even a bit of damage. They are an amazing company
Old 01-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Silver Member

Did you compare the two heads(Evans vs Remo) against each other?
You should have put them together and check if there is a difference.
Maybe you can take the bass drum to the store and put different heads on it to filter out where the problem lies.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Here is what I would do:

Take the Bass drum and the two heads (the one you are replacing and the new head) to the store. Ask to try another P3. If that one doesn't fit right, they may have received a bad run of heads. After this, and this is totally your call, go to another source for the head or try a head that is exactly like the head you took off!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-31-2007, 01:53 AM

I won't go back to that store again, the guy was very arrogant. There was no way he was going to be proven wrong. No way at all. At first he grabbed a new hoop off the shelf and we had trouble just holding it up to the head and clearing the plastic edge of the new head.
I said, "See, it doesn't even fit this hoop" to which he responded quickly back, "It's got to be put on the drum to fit right," and quickly put it down.
He refused to try it on a drum, just asked how long I've been playing drums, he's been doing it for 50 years blah blah blah and he knows everything but proves nothing.
There was no one in the store the whole time.
I said, "Why don't you try it right now on your Gretsch," "Why," he says, "it will fit that one, that's not yours." Can you imagine that statement. The whole deal was like a bad dream.
I wrote my number down on a pad and said try it when I leave, then you can call me and I walked out.
I have no need for this person. I was hoping there was some big problem with a batch of these heads and I'd go back and throw it in his face.

I'm happy with my Evans heads. He was the one who talked me into trying them the night before. I didn't even go into the store for heads, I went in for sticks.
Then when the heads don't fit right he tells me to go bring my drum set back.
I need him like I need 3 inch holes in all my batter heads.

This weekend I went back to the store where I bought the drum set and talked to them about it. They said that I could buy one of their heads to try.
I guess I should at least take them up on their offer and get it straightened out.
Then if there is still a problem get a new bass drum from them. Hey I'm not saying he is right or I'm right it's just the way he handled the whole deal.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficord View Post
I won't go back to that store again, the guy was very arrogant. There was no way he was going to be proven wrong. No way at all. At first he grabbed a new hoop off the shelf and we had trouble just holding it up to the head and clearing the plastic edge of the new head.
I said, "See, it doesn't even fit this hoop" to which he responded quickly back, "It's got to be put on the drum to fit right," and quickly put it down.
He refused to try it on a drum, just asked how long I've been playing drums, he's been doing it for 50 years blah blah blah and he knows everything but proves nothing.
I said, "Why don't you try it right now on your Gretsch," "Why," he says, "it will fit that one, that's not yours." Can you imagine that statement. The whole deal was like a bad dream.
I wrote my number down on a pad and said try it when I leave, then you can call me and I walked out.
I have no need for this person. I was hoping there was some big problem with a batch of these heads and I'd go back and throw it in his face.

I'm happy with my Evans heads. He was the one who talked me into trying them the night before. I didn't even go into the store for heads, I went in for sticks.

This weekend I went back to the store where I bought the drum set and talked to them about it. They said that I could buy one of their heads to try.
I guess I should at least take them up on their offer and get it straightened out.
Then if there is still a problem get a new bass drum from them. Hey I'm not saying he is right or I'm right it's just the way he handled the whole deal.
Then that man has failed his profession. His job is to help and inform drummers in the local area along with sell stuff. Sadly all 3 of these did not happpen in that expierience. Best wishes next time.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:45 AM

Just goes to show ya the quality of Remo. Get Evans or Aquarian the next time.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficord View Post

If you will take the drum with you, it will be a big help. If you really have a defective hoop or shell, it will be better for the store from which you bought it from, to see the probelm first hand. Then, they can't deny that there is a problem! I know that it is a hassle. I had to send some drums all the way back to DW for John Good to look at which was very disappointing. But for the money I spent, I wanted every detail to be right. And you have spent money on this and if you have a problem, they should (and more than likely will) make it right.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=drummermikemccraw
Old 01-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Platinum Member

2 threads, same topic. Deja Vu. Yeah, I vote for taking your kick drum into the shop you bought it from. If I had sold you the kick, I would want to know "what's the deal" as much as you do.