DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-27-2007, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Joey Jordison

Joey, as you can see and hear with slipknot, is a great drummer. He's won numerous awards and been mentioned in tons of media: (drummng magazines, metal magazines, mtv, etc.). He is very talented, and ia argubly one of the greatest drummers in metal/ hardcore music...

Now the 2 percussionest, Chris Fehn and Shawn Crahan, are actuely very talented. people think, oh these guys just bang the hell out of there custom ''trash can'' drums, but the actuely are there to make the songs interesting. Listen to songs like ''the blister exists'', or ''Left Behind'': You can here there drums, espeacillay on the blister exists, when they do a pretty cool snare drum solo! Now i know what you're thinking, ''that snare part is easy'', and it is, i can do it, But, its what makes them individuals! You wouldent here a marching solo in a metalica song! They are there for one reason: to make them individuals!!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 06:57 PM
Senior Administrator

actuley i can think of a few metallica songs with marching parts.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 01-29-2007, 01:22 PM

Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal. Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWfan20005 View Post
Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal. Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.
What is wrong with using Mapex drums for metal? Frost of Satyricon and 1349 plays with Mapex and the stuff he plays is alot more bone breaking heavy then Joey's stuff
Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Before I thought all he was good at was fast playing and stuff. Then I watched his sound rehersal video on this website. Man was I wrong. I love the tuning on his drums. Wish I could tune that well. Anyways, he's probably my favorite drummer out of all these nu-metal drummers. He even uses drums that can take the music. C'mon Chris Adler using Mapex drums for metal? Sorry for being off topic again. Joey will definitly have a lasting impression on metal drumming and can not wait to see if he will be on a Modern Drummer Festival DVD.
You've just made my day
Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM

so anyone gunna chuck a vid up?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I think many drummers miss the point when it comes to soloing in front of an audience of non drummers. As Louis Bellson has so often said, Krupa was not the most technically gifted drummer of his era, but all he had to do was hit the splash cymbal and smile to bring the house down. Non drummers simply do not understand the complex riff in 5 taking place over the syncopated 7/8 played with the feet. Simply put, once people reach a point of not understanding what is going on, they can lose interest.

Many times when non drummers talk to me about drum solos, they mention Ina Gadda da Vida. Certainly not the most complex of solos. But non drummers are able in some way to relate to it and remember it.

It is our job to please the audience. That is what Joey did.

This idea that every drum solo must in some way be superior to every other drum solo fails to take into acount musicality. Drumming is NOT a sport.
I did not notice what Wy Yung said before but it makes complete sense, that said , why are non drummers impresssed by Neil Peart then?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnZ View Post
What is wrong with using Mapex drums for metal? Frost of Satyricon and 1349 plays with Mapex and the stuff he plays is alot more bone breaking heavy then Joey's stuff
Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Your just angry cause you use Mapex,I would be too, cause MAPEX DRUMS SUCK! The only music they are good for is jazz and funk,period.
Are you kidding me? or just completely retarded?

How do Mapex drums 'suck' and how are they only good for Jazz and funk?
Old 01-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I did not notice what Wy Yung said before but it makes complete sense, that said , why are non drummers impresssed by Neil Peart then?

I'd say the reason is due to how the solo is set up as a large part of the show. It was the same back in the days of Emerson Lake and Palmer. There is a big difference in a solo that is choreographed and arranged with lights camera action, to a highly technical solo without such staging.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Are you kidding me? or just completely retarded?

How do Mapex drums 'suck' and how are they only good for Jazz and funk?
No im just kidding. Just for some reason i can not picture them in metal music.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
I'd say the reason is due to how the solo is set up as a large part of the show. It was the same back in the days of Emerson Lake and Palmer. There is a big difference in a solo that is choreographed and arranged with lights camera action, to a highly technical solo without such staging.
Now it makes sense. I could picture someone getting bored during a Danny Carey solo though.

Last edited by DWfan20005; 01-30-2007 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Angry? I'm PROUD to be a Mapex owner.. I'm PROUD to know that my Mapex drums will work in every situation. I use them for jazz, funk, rock, punk, metal, Norwegian black metal. (And that some serious heavy stuff)
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now it makes sense. I could picture someone getting bored during a Danny Carey solo though.
I think that a lot of a solo's success in that enviroment comes down to presentation. Some people are simply more gifted when it comes to giving the people what they want. I suppose we see how this works in the mainstream when we look at pop music and, jazz, for example. Some people are better able to write a hook that grabs the attention of the majority. Then there are those who please in lesser amounts. One is not necessarily more important or superior to the other, just different. Somebody like Carl Palmer is able to be a great showman; shirt off, banging away on gongs as the riser revolves, building a solo to an exciting climax etc. Then there's someone like Jeff Watts, who can play beautifully, subtlely and who can move those near who listen to ecstacy. But the chances of seeing him banging away on gongs amid flashing lights and fireworks in a 50,000 seat stadium are less than good. It's like I said earlier, Krupa was able to play something simple and catch the imagination. Not everyone can or wants to do that. Things don't have to be complex to be good. Some of the nicest things in life are simple. It seems the same with solos. This is why I believe Joey did a fantastic job. He gave people what they wanted and what they could identify with.

That's my take on it anyway.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:27 AM

I think people miss the whole point of his solo though. The solo is a challenge to play, but its not unreal.

But the the whole thing about Slipknot is about doing things differently. Joey's upside down thing is unique and its very cool. There are many drummers that can play technical solos, so i appreciate the fact that he attempts something new.

No one should take anything away from Joey, he is an amazing drummer and deserves all the credit he gets.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:

-blank stare-

Old 03-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Damn, I am so angry!!
Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib View Post
WOW! I've ALWAYS considered Buddy Rich the first "Joey Jordison" or "Travis Barker". Let me ellaborate.

4- He couldn't read music

stu
I actually lol'd at that. Barker reads music ( he writes it, too), and Jordison reads music. Sometime, try to find videos of either drummer tracking in the studio. I saw one where Barker had page after page of music beside him, and Jordison had a small peice for snare only (I forget what song)
It all...
Old 04-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II xMETALx II View Post
I think people miss the whole point of his solo though. The solo is a challenge to play, but its not unreal.

But the the whole thing about Slipknot is about doing things differently. Joey's upside down thing is unique and its very cool. There are many drummers that can play technical solos, so i appreciate the fact that he attempts something new.
I dont know when doing bass roles fills and snare roles became new, but ya he is a hell of a drummer.... id have to say that solo was kinda a low point but he is great in there songs.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Boring and overrated. Sure, he can play, but he's far from great.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
No im just kidding. Just for some reason i can not picture them in metal music.
Witek (Decapitated), Aquiles Priester (Angra), Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater (1994-1995)) ... the list goes on.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:03 AM

Joey is drumming for Korn on their Family Values tour this summer. Just saw it on Slipknot's website under the news section. Slipknot1.com
Old 05-07-2007, 09:42 PM

where can i find a tape/video/mp3 of Joey playing for Satyricon?:O I love them bouth!

BTW: Have you heard the good news?! Joey is playing with korn for the next 5 months:D:D
Old 05-09-2007, 09:54 PM

anyone know if there is going to be a DVD, or something with Joey and Korn?
Old 05-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Check it out! Joey and Korn!:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKoffcezWKw
Old 06-12-2007, 02:49 AM

Default Joey Jordison

Open forum to say anything you want... so
What do you think of Joey's drumming style??
Is he just fast arms and legs?

For a most private contact:

final.sins.__@hotmail.com
Old 06-12-2007, 09:43 AM

he is fast but that is all he is got going for him...not a slipnot a fan,they will proble have a cry and say he is goodd but he is just fast...
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 AM
44Ronin

He is overated , that is for sure
Old 06-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Joey Jordison can't take his foot off his double pedal to save his life!!

He is only built for speed!!
Old 07-07-2007, 12:24 AM

You can say what ever you want but Joey is not only fast drummer... he's really good. If you listen wait and bleed, theres not only speed, theres melody. And if you want speed... i mean theres plenty "speedy" songs...
Old 07-09-2007, 12:57 PM

The media needs a posterboy for everything

Joey was for at one time
and now its Travis..
Old 07-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot View Post
Joey is an excellent drummer. Just because his Disasterpiece solo was all crowd pleaser doesnt mean he cant actually play anything else! Also the two percussionists do know how to play drums, listen to The Blister Exists of their latest cd. I saw them at Big Day Out (Australia) and watched them play rudiments on their snares! I mean hey, why knock them? Should there be 3 drumkits in Slipknot?? :P
Yep, Shaun was the drummer before Joey joined.

I like Slipknot, but im not too keen on Joey's drumming, i really like what Shaun and Chris add though, you can hear them if you know what to listen out for.

Plus their sound and genre asks for speed I think, and Joey offers that,

But yea his solo does kind abore me a bit.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Why Joey Jordison is one Dimensional

Video of Joey playing with Korn. Joey was hired to play what Bozzio recorded. Needless to say, Joey did a poor job of it. I think he should stick to speed metal lol. Maybe it's me, but it sounds like it don't groove as well. Granted Bozzio is God! But still, none of the drumming patterns are even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcDrU...elated&search=
Old 07-15-2007, 04:39 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: Why Joey Jordison is one Dimensional

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder View Post
Needless to say, Joey did a poor job of it.
What is your legitimation for giving such a comment?.

What position do you have in the industry? Or are you just a............then ok..

Bernhard
Old 07-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Video of Joey playing with Korn. Joey was hired to play what Bozzio recorded. Needless to say, Joey did a poor job of it. I think he should stick to speed metal lol. Maybe it's me, but it sounds like it don't groove as well. Granted Bozzio is God! But still, none of the drumming patterns are even close.

Your opinion is noted. Keep in mind that you are watching/listening to a youtube video and the sound quality is horrible. I'm sure if you were at the show you would proabably feel different. Joey backing Korn is definately going to be interesting, especially if they get to write original material together. As far as I know, he is only backing them for shows and pre written material. I think Joey is a wonderful drummer... I would love to hear what Korn would sound like if Joey was part of the writting process! But, he is going back with the KnOt to write another record in the very near future. After that.. well see.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

It sounded fine to me.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard View Post
What is your legitimation for giving such a comment?.

What position do you have in the industry? Or are you just a............then ok..

Bernhard
Does he have to be important or recognized in the industry to have the right for such comments? If it's the case, that would be an argument by authority, which is a logical fallacy.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumms View Post
Does he have to be important or recognized in the industry to have the right for such comments? If it's the case, that would be an argument by authority, which is a logical fallacy.
Actually the post that Bernhard was commenting on contained a logical fallacy by including the phrase "needless to say" when he was merely expressing an opinion, one which obvioulsy is not shared by others. Do you really want someone to start monitoring your posts for language skills or logical consistency? I hardly think that Bernhard needs to justify his remarks to you.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:01 AM

you still have to practice to be fast......haha.....im not that fast.....
Old 07-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBreath View Post
Actually the post that Bernhard was commenting on contained a logical fallacy by including the phrase "needless to say" when he was merely expressing an opinion, one which obvioulsy is not shared by others. Do you really want someone to start monitoring your posts for language skills or logical consistency? I hardly think that Bernhard needs to justify his remarks to you.
I'm glad you said it DB. Thankyou. My initial response was to strictly comment on that part of his post, but I figured I would leave it alone becuase it would have strayed from the thread topic and I didn't want to start trouble. I'm not here to monitor and bring someones illogical consistencies to the forefront, even if it is directly warranted. Thats your job.. lol.

The great thing about DrummerWorld is that the members here are kindly and graciously granted freedom of expression from Bern when it comes to thier opinions. As much as I love this place.. I tend to cringe at some of the post I read and think to myself.. "am I the only one who caught that" and become baffled when there is no accountablity or rebuttle. Most of the time I chalk it up to a member using a phrase in a context that they don't fully understand. I'm glad you pointed it out... lol.